Recruits

Searching For Avalon

Listen to FACE by NU'EST : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thtoU8YtNA

No matter who looks at it, no matter how many arguments one has, the conclusion is one. Everything is riding up to the end of the cliff, the build-up before the big explosion, a new Pompeii ready to be burned to the ground.

"Dayoung?"

I lifted my head and closed the notebook. "Daehyun oppa."

Oppa approached me with a small smile, the remnants of my breakdown awkwardly lingering in his stance. Himchan oppa was pacing around while I was curled up on the couch, the hot milk and biscuits that Jiyeon Unnie had offered me still untouched. I watched as Daehyun oppa swiftly lifted two biscuits in one go and gobbled them up. I gazed at him while he finished them off in three bites and when he questioned my look, I narrowed my eyes at him.

"How can anyone be hungry at a time like this?" I asked. Daehyun oppa blinked and for a moment, I thought I saw pity in his eyes. Within a second, his expression changed and he shrugged.

"If I don't eat, how will I protect you?"

"I can protect myself."

"Really?"

"Daehyun!" 

Both of us startled at Himchan oppa's outburst. I watched as the two began a heated staring contest until Daehyun oppa broke it off, lifting himself off and leaving me with a pat on my head. 

"See you later kid," he said. I didn't respond and watched Himchan oppa hesitantly sit beside me. 

"Dayoung-ah," he started in a soft voice. "Lauren will be fine, okay?"

"How do you know that? For all we know, this Simon is worse than the General."

Himchan oppa took a deep breath, closing his eyes to calm himself down. Finally he opened his eyes and I admitted to feeling hurt when a painful look creased his brows. 

"There is another group joining us and they have Kairi with them. She'll be with us okay? Apart from them we also have a large number of young military recruits who Jiyong has entrusted ever since the---"

Himchan oppa paused and with a grim nod, continued, "Ever since he was in college. Yeah. Okay."

I blinked at him. "Why are you telling me all of this?"

Himchan oppa sighed. "I'm telling you all of this because... Dayoung-ah, don't do anything foolish okay? Lauren will be fine. None of us know who Simon is but if he has escaped with Lauren that too under the General's radar, then I'm sure he's---"

"They what?"

Himchan oppa furrowed his eyebrows. "Wait, you don't know? I thought you knew."

"Knew what?" My insides tangled up and I fell into a cold sweat. 

Himchan oppa gulped and with a steely look in his eyes, said, "A few minutes back we received news. Lauren isn't in prison anymore. Nor is Simon."

SOMEWHERE IN PARAGON....

"Careful!"

The girl fell to the ground, her weak legs scraped for the nth time. The man fell back and swung her arm around his shoulder. With utmost caution, he lifted her on her two feet and widened his eyes when she winced.

"Fine?" he asked, the question sounding rhetoric. The girl knew they didn't have time. They had a good headstart but they had to keep moving on if they wanted to maintain the distance. She swallowed her pain and gave a flustered nod. The man wasn't convinced, but he nodded back.

"Good," he said and shifted his hand so that he was back to holding hers. The girl, whose youthful beauty was hidden by bruises, blood and knotted hair, gave a fleeting glance to their entwined fingers and began running alongside the stranger.

The two continued running silently, not saying a word to each other. There was nothing to be said. Each second seemed to be a blessing of life and the energy that was spent escaping could not be wasted on small talk. 

The girl stopped when the man stopped. When he took big steps, so did she. When he made a sprint, so did she. The man didn't need to give her instructions. The girl didn't feel the need to question. An incomprehensible model of understanding had been built between the two.

The girl was aware of the pain in her abdomen and the blood that was staining her thighs. Though she knew the one responsible was the one holding her hand, she also knew that he had had no other option. The memory of that one hour was shoved away as she gritted her teeth and focused on the present. She was on the run. She was going to see her friend. She was headed for safety. 

The girl gasped the moment she saw light. The man turned around and blinked. 

"It's okay," he hushed. "No one'll catch us."

The girl stalled and didn't move. She had felt secure in the dark. But she couldn't stand to be in the light. She couldn't be under the brightness of the city. Not like this. 

The man seemed to have read her mind and his face contorted, almost as if he was being jabbed with torturous tools. Slowly, he stepped backward and joined her in the small dark space. 

"Lauren."

The girl looked up when he called her name. The man took a deep breath. 

"Do you know my name?" he whispered. Lauren nodded.

"Can you say it?"

Lauren gave him a bewildered look, her eyes flitting all over his face. The man gave a reassuring nod and she gulped.

"S-s-simon." Lauren took a deep breath and repeated his name. "Simon."

"Now," the man named Simon said. "Listen."

Lauren nodded. She gave a short gasp when he bent forward and after a moment's hesitation, when she signalled her permission, he rested his hands on both sides of her face.

"I will keep you safe," he said, grim determination reflecting off his eyes. "We will make it to Dayoung and until we do, I will make sure you stay unharmed and out of any danger. I cannot do this without you. I cannot do this without your trust. Do me a favour --- say 'Simon, I trust you.'"

Lauren blinked, her eyes moist but hollow. Simon closed his eyes in desperation and in a pleading tone, hissed, "I will never forgive myself for what I did to you. If I had to, I'd pull the trigger on myself. But I need to keep you safe and I need to fight. I'm not asking for forgiveness but if you could just say--"

"Simon."

Simon stopped talking, his eyes slowly opening as the girl said, "Simon, I trust you."

Lauren took his hands and folded them into hers. "Let's go now."

Simon gave a sigh of relief and nodded. "Let's go." 

And with that, they stepped out into the light.

                                                                                           KAIRI

"What the he--"

My curiosity peaked the moment I saw the two groups ahead crowding at a particular spot. I turned around and tip-toed to catch Woohyun's eye. He saw me and I pointed ahead, mouthing, "Something's wrong." Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows and looked around. He gave a curt nod to Kris and rushed past me. 

"Woohyun wha--"

Without a word, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me with him. I mutely let him drag me along and the moment Seohyun's back entered our sight, we began hearing voices.

Foreign voices.

I gave a quick once-over to the surrounding and heard myself hiccup. It was the same tunnel where the vehicles had been switched. Question was -- what were these people, who weren't on our team, doing here?

Woohyun gave me a small nod and let go of my hand. I chided my heart that had felt a little sorrowful when his hold left me and turned to find Luhan's eyes boring into my head.

"Ah!" I yelped in surprise. Luhan blinked then gave a small bow. I cleared my throat and tried looking through the crowd, only to fail.

"What's going on?" I asked, facing Luhan. He didn't seem to hear me or assumed that I was being rhetoric. But before I could prod him, his eyes widened and suddenly, a whole lot of things fell upon each other.

Ahead of us, Woohyun had raised his voice, demanding an explanation. Behind me, Chen had pulled me away, making way for L to move forward with a clenched fist. I recognized his stance and froze. It was L in fighting mode. Had we already encountered some enemies?

"You don't get it--" the voice said. My ears perked up and suddenly, I felt a tight grip enclose around my arm. I widened my eyes upon finding it to be Luhan, who was pushing me away from Chen and moving me forward with him.

"Grab him before he does something," he muttered. I found Woohyun trembling with anger and instantly shook my head. 

"I don't think Woohyun would want me to--"

"I don't mean him!" Luhan urgently hissed, his eyes looking like they were sending me a telepathic message. "I mean him. He knows you, right?"

"Huh?" I said and turned to follow his gaze. I saw the blond tuft of hair and my memory jolted my nerves into action. I turned to look at Luhan who simply nodded and began pushing the people away. 

"Move," I heard him say. I felt like a lone candle in the middle of a windstorm, only one hand engulfing me to keep me going. I was taken aback by my ally's skills but before I could ponder, we had reached. Woohyun saw me and widened his eyes. 

"Take her away!" he ordered. Luhan rolled his eyes and I marched forward. Woohyun raised his arms in a very, 'You better listen' manner but I was a step ahead of him. 

I took hold of the tall man who had interrupted our journey and with a sharp shove, turned him around. The man saw me and brightened.

"Kairi!" he exclaimed. "I knew you would save me!" He approached me for a hug but I was quicker. I pushed him away and blew my bangs away from my face, glaring at the little troop standing behind him. My eyes returned to him and I gathered all my strength. 

"Cover your ears," I heard Luhan murmur.

"WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

From my peripheral glance, I saw Woohyun's stance stiffening while Luhan smiled at a shocked Donghae. "Told you so," he whispered to him.

"Is this how you greet your old friends?" My 'old friend' cheekily smiled and I scrunched my nose in disgust. 

"Kairi," Woohyun said, a low fire burning in his gaze. "Do you know him?"

"That's not the point!" I shouted. "What do you think you're doing here?"

"Oh? You didn't know?" He turned to look at Luhan who looked at me and sighed.

"Jiyong's recruits," Luhan tiredly explained. "It's a play of fate that we're meeting them like this." I narrowed my eyes at him and he shrugged.

"Jiyong's what?" Woohyun hissed. "Who the hell are you guys?"

"Allow me to introduce myself," he smiled. I noticed how the men behind him had fallen into line -- typically military -- and I crossed my arms, waiting for the grand introduction.

"Ever heard of the INVICTUS project?"

Everyone froze and I sighed. So much for a good first impression. 

"Well, we're the best out of the lot. Genetically enhanced soldiers, our main aim to undergo the tough training was to give Paragon a taste of their own medicine."

"What are you?" Woohyun scoffed. "Leader of the pack?"

"Bullseye." The cheeky grin returned. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Captain Kang Baekho."