Unforeseen

Searching For Avalon

 

Listen to Power by B.A.P : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBSaX3jvyEc

Kairi brushed the dust off her jacket and heaved a sigh, lifting herself off the ground and sending a fiery gaze down at her opponent.

“I…give.. up.” Junhyung moaned and lay on the ground. Kairi gulped and closed her eyes, shaking her head to return to normalcy. She lent a hand, which Junhyung gladly refused, dragging himself towards Hara who looked like she was fighting off a chuckle.

“That was…”

Kairi turned around and faced SungGyu, his mouth hanging open. Behind him was the entire team, staring at her like she had grown four heads.

“Good?” Kairi guessed. The crunching of gravel was heard and the team made way for Woohyun, who until then had been sitting in the sidelines, observing the exhibition with intensity. He walked up to Kairi, the latter’s gaze intact with his.

Woohyun nodded. “You’re ready.”

Kairi widened her eyes. “So I can go--?”

“No.” Woohyun his heel and walked back towards the tent. “Sooyoung, Sungjong, Sungyeol and I will leave for Paragon tonight.”

Assuming that his words were final, Woohyun stretched his arms above his head, ready for his power nap. Suddenly something hit his head. Woohyun froze, startled. He gritted his teeth and turned around, narrowing his eyes at Kairi’s anger.

“Not fair.” She clenched her fists and cracked her neck. “Fight me. If you win, I’ll go too.”

Woohyun shook his head and lightly pushed her forehead away. “You’re being stupid now.” Just when he was to leave again, Kairi grabbed his arm and pulled him towards her.

Behind them the team watched.

“Some tension there,” L snickered. Yoona pursed her lips and sighed. Amber smirked, silently agreeing to L’s little joke while Nicole tilted her head in interest, crossing her arms and anticipating the outcome of the quarrel with curiosity.

“Kairi,” Woohyun growled. He pried Kairi’s fingers off his triceps, only to have her hold onto his vest.

“Don’t talk down to me anymore,” Kairi growled back. “I need justice too. As much as you do.”

“What do you know about me? Huh?” Woohyun shoved Kairi away, making the latter stumble back. Luna rushed forward to stop the two, only to be restrained by Hoya.

“Let them,” he said in a monotonous voice. Luna looked at him in shock, but was left with no other option than to obey.

Kairi cursed under her breath and shoved Woohyun back. “Dayoung’s in danger!”

“You’ll be too!” Woohyun shouted back. Kairi, not prepared to listen to justifications, started pushing Woohyun, the speed of her punches increasing. Woohyun silently watched her, waiting for the moment. Finally, she stopped, giving his chest one last punch before breaking down and sobbing into his shirt.

Hoya walked forward, only to be stopped by none other than himself. Alongwith the entire team, his jaw dropped as Woohyun wrapped his arms around Kairi, securing her head under his chin as she started heaving out rough tears one after another.

Woohyun glanced sideways, watching his team’s reaction. His eyes landed on Hoya, who was experiencing invisible tremors of shock, anger and pain inside him. An understanding passed between the two.

                                                        ***********************************************************************************

                                                                                           HOYA

Why didn’t I see this coming?

                                                        **********************************************************************************

                                                                                          DAEHYUN

“She’s a Paragon,” Himchan hissed, shifting his gaze between the little girl and me.

She looked like she was on her way back home from the Institution, but something in her eyes told me otherwise. The way I had observed the turns she had taken, the way her sight had flitted at every corner around the alley…

She was looking for someone.

Slowly, I walked towards her and went down on one knee. I ignored Himchan’s growls and focused on her.

“Dayoung,” I read off the name tag. The little girl glanced up and stared back at me. The mask must have fascinated her.

I slid it off and smiled. “Who are you looking for?”

“Kairi saem.”

The name rung a bell and seconds later, when Dayoung produced a picture, my heart dropped. Himchan wasn’t ranting anymore and when I turned around, I saw him staring at the picture with wide eyes.

“Is that… you…” Himchan pointed at Dayoung, who was blinking at us with expectation.

Himchan looked at me, ready to bore a hole onto my face. On the other side was Dayoung, waiting for me to say, “Yes, she’s right around the corner with your favourite dress in hand.”

“Dayoung-ah,” I murmured. The girl responded with a light glow on her face.

“Do you know who we are?” I was probably asking the most stupid question possible. Obviously this little kid would have no idea. But Paragon kids, especially the Institution ones were supposed to be the smartest kids on the block.

“You’re a Rebel,” she blankly stated. “I know you roam around here. So I came to ask you if you had seen Kairi.”

I was taken aback. “Wait… you know we’re… not from Paragon?”

“Daehyun,” Himchan warned. I shrugged him off, slowly standing up.

Dayoung followed me as I rose up and replied, “Yes. You see, if I tell the people in Paragon that Kairi saem was my Mentor, then I would immediately be sent into incarceration. I think I’m too young for that, Lauren does too. But Paragon thinks otherwise.”

That’s it, I thought. Offering my hand, I smiled at the girl. “If I tell you I’ll find Kairi, will you trust me and follow?”

For a while, Dayoung just stared at my hand. Suddenly, a smile lit up her face and she tightly clasped her hand into mine. “I’ll follow you.”

“There ain’t no diapers in the house mate,” Himchan hissed, though the sigh in his voice had told me he too had endeared to the girl within seconds.

“Oh don’t worry. I was potty-trained by the time I turned three.”

                                                     ******************************************************************************************

                                                                                           YONG GUK

“What on earth….”

Time stopped the moment Daehyun and Himchan walked in with a little girl at hand. Daehyun, who had been smiling a bit, frowned at our expressions.

“Daehyun,” I said, raising my hands in peace.

“Hear her out,” Daehyun said and slipped on his mask before going back to his room. Himchan mouthed, ‘Wasn’t me’ and left while the little girl stared at the house.

Zelo, who had been standing behind me, whispered, “Who does that belong to?”

I blinked at the girl and narrowed my eyes. “I’ve seen her somewhere.”

I crept towards her, only to have the tiny creature squeal loudly. I blocked my ears and watched in amazement as she ran past me, running to hug Jiyeon.

“Jiyeon-ah,” I murmured and upon seeing the name of the Institution on the girl’s backpack, knew exactly what was going on.

“D-d-dayoung,” Jiyeon stammered, not sure whether to be ecstatic or scared. She exchanged glances with me. I stood at my spot frozen.

After what seemed like the longest embrace in the world, Dayoung pulled apart from Jiyeon and with a tearful grin, exclaimed, “I found you Kairi-saem!”