Intervention

Searching For Avalon

"Where are they?"

"Riverbed."

L nodded at the local boy who had rushed to him with the news and sped down towards the direction he had pointed to. Behind him were Hoya, Dongwoo, SungGyu and Sooyoung -- the best hand-to-hand combat fighters -- the confusion in their eyes flitting to fear with each alternate second passing by.

"Going without me?"

Five heads snapped towards the sound, confusion and fear now switching to anxiety. 

"Woohyun," L said, raising his index finger in a reassuring way. "Stay away from this..."

"You think your MMA skills will help you?" Woohyun sneered, lifting his shirt to show the hilt of his revolver. "Let's go."

L sighed and turned to look at his companions' dishevelled faces. They shrugged and continued walking, with Woohyun at the head now. 

The rocky path then switched to a sandy offshore by the river and from a distance, the six pairs of eyes could make out six tall robed figures standing by a long boat. The tallest was three heads taller than Sooyoung and when he removed the hood off his head, his owl-like eyes pierced through the defensive wall of the Hidden. Dawn was cracking around the horizon and as the sunlight awned upon the twelve people, the sense of a change was omnipresent.

"You won't need the gun Woohyun," the tall man said, cracking a warm smile. The smile seemed like it had been existing for the very purpose of taming the impulses of the enemy, reassuring the other side that all was well before he and his team could bring them over to their side. 

"Next thing I know," Woohyun hissed, "I'll be lying on the ground after I get a flying roundabout kick from HIM." He jutted his thumb at the second tallest figure, a man with deep-set eyes that upon closer look, was the wild current hiding a peaceful heart. 

"Tao has never been violent," the tallest, now presumed to be the leader, said. There was a certain firmness to his tone, letting the listeners believe that he was concerned with his team members' reputation more than anything in the world. 

"Okay that's enough," Sooyoung said, standing in between the two who looked like they would eat each other's faces in less romantic ways possible. She lightly tapped the tall man's chest, a touch that seemed to emanate more meanings than simply pushing him away. 

"What do you want Kris?" she said, her tone more dulcet than the hundred times she had indirectly proclaimed authority on her team. L rolled his eyes at the sudden mist of nostalgia hovering above them while Woohyun just backed away with a scoff.

Kris blinked at her and sighed. "I have come here to help." He looked over her shoulder and nodded at Hoya, who stepped forward within seconds. Woohyun threw his hands up in the air.

"Good cop bad cop?" he said. "Again?"

"Maybe it works with all the 'K's," Dongwoo muttered then laughed. "Get it? K? K for---"

Woohyun punched Dongwoo on the arm, leaving him howling in pain. A robed man of fair complexion and chubby cheeks snickered, throwing Dongwoo off his stance. 

"Shut up Xiumin," Dongwoo hissed. Xiumin shrugged and flashed one last gummy smile.

"You have been taking care of her," Kris said, returning to the topic. "Word says you have been training her as well?"

"Well," L said, folding his arms, "if your word comes from THERE then I'm sure it's correct." He pointed upwards at the sky that was now covered with the sunrise warmth of orange and blue. Kris smiled at the little joke and nodded. Behind him his team members loosened up as well.

"You certainly are the moodmaker of the group," Kris remarked.

"What is your point?" Hoya said. Kris and his team faced him. A man with soft features but sharp eyes stepped towards him and offered his hand.

"We want you to cooperate."

"There you go," SungGyu remarked. "Lay said it. They're not lying."

A light chuckle went off between the two and the remnants of hostility vanished for good. Woohyun too was smiling a bit, but Hoya was the only one still hesitant.

"Oh relax Hoya," a blonde effeminate man exclaimed, shaking the stiff man's arm. 

"Long time no see Luhan," Hoya replied, his pursed lips turning up a bit. 

"Aren't you going to welcome us?" Xiumin joked, winking at Dongwoo. The latter stared at him in shock and turned around to complain to Sooyoung, only to notice that she was already in deep conversation with Kris.

"So EXO.... where are the rest?" asked L. Silence fell upon them again, an uncomfortable reminder of words yet to be said.

"They're in Paragon," Kris replied, glancing at his team mates then finally nodding at their new partners. "Negotiating."

                                                                                *****************************************************************

"You're late," Jiyong laughed. 

EXO-K froze in their steps, looking at each other with apparent panic. The fairest stepped out and nodded at Jiyong. The latter smiled.

"Suho," he greeted. "Never thought I'd see you like this."

"Yeah," the man named Suho said, the shockingly bright smile revealing undertones of other worries. "Hoping for a proper college reunion and all we get is this?" 

He waved his arms at the dark shady alley that was a cover for the Others' headquarters. Jiyong had already said good-bye to Jiyeon before she set forth with their plan.

"If you still want to stop her, you can," Jiyong challenged in a chirpy tone. "But what will you do? Remove a female government official's veil in public? Oh no! That could be... fatal."

Suho's smile vanished and a sadness overlapped in his expression. "This is not the way Jiyong."

"And the HIDDEN way is?" Jiyong's playfulness disappeared and he sternly looked at each and every man in a robe. "We will NEVER team with them."

"You'll never defeat him then," the tallest in the group growled, his deep tone showing the aggressive side that the urban religious group harboured within. 

"Chanyeol," Suho warned. Chanyeol gulped and stepped back, letting his seething anger wear off through his glare. Another man lightly touched his angry friend's arm and whispered something to Suho. The leader nodded and the man ran off.

"Faster Baekhyun!" Jiyong called out, laughing like a hyena when the said man threw him a glare before turning around the corner.

"He won't be able to do anything," Jiyong said. 

"We need to discuss this properly," Suho said, his firmness shaded with desperation. Jiyong suddenly stopped grinning, almost as if he had finally realized the seriousness of the situation. He his heels and faced the secret door.

"Tea or coffee?" he asked and paved the way for his guests. Suho and the rest of EXO-K followed him in.