History Lessons

Searching For Avalon

                                                                                                    KAIRI

My involvement was notified to everyone and surprisingly there was no protest. Either everyone trusted me too much or they just thought I was too weak to do anything. Regardless, I was placed under the responsibility of different people for different sections of ‘training’.

“Firstly,” Yoona informed me as we walked towards an unchartered part of the lair, “History lessons. Hoya told me how much, or less, you knew about us, about Paragon…. Which is why we’ll have Donghae tell you everything in the simplest way possible. He majored in Political Science from Yonsei University, so don’t worry about the quality of information you get.”

Yoona led me to a bright spot and for the first time I saw her smile.

“When we first came here,” she started, “we decided to build this spot for recreation. Later the common room was filled with entertainment but this area is till date my favourite. Welcome to our library.”

Yoona left me in the presence of Donghae, who gave a polite smile and headed towards a small whiteboard.

“Sorry for being late!” Nicole skipped inside, throwing a grin at me.

“Since we still don’t know each other well,” Donghae said, justifying the house doctor’s presence.

I nodded and sat down on an armchair, preparing for my first lesson. Donghae knew I meant business and without any introduction, started off.

“Paragon was primarily a socio-economic developmental project,” Donghae said, making a table of names with a black marker. I watched as he sighed after writing down the last name, my stomach clenching as I recognized the letters.

“General Lee was the head of the operation,” Donghae said, tapping his finger at the name written in the biggest font possible. “General Lee was one of the many people who had proposed that a certain amount of control be orchestrated on the social lives of the citizens to inundate a faster flow of money to the society, the progress of the economy for the good of everyone as he put it. The then US president refused to make this idea public and concrete as he found it to be a bind on democracy, the voice of the people. General Lee countered that no democracy was living like a democracy so it only made sense for a more genuine mechanism to come into place, especially if it would halt the miseries of millions. It was a system whose functioning would be guaranteed by professionals.”

“Paragon’s foundation was placed when thirty years ago, China crossed USA to become the biggest economy in the world. Suddenly every Asian country was in the palm of the ‘dragon’. India and other South Asian countries could not remain neutral like before and had to sign the contract that Paragon would use to effect in a trial and error method. The contract was like a contemporary version of an invasion. Asia was now following China, but it’s true leader was the South Korean General Lee.”

“Are you alright?” Nicole murmured. I blinked at her, noticing how much my palms were sweating, my insides getting clammy. Donghae offered a bottle of water and I finished the contents in one swig.

“This could get a little… tedious,” he smiled. I pursed my lips and nodded, mouthing a thank you and waiting for him to continue. Donghae looked at me for a while, then proceeded, circling my father’s name and connecting it to another bubble with a thread, a bubble in which the words ‘The Hidden’ were written.

“After five years, there came into existence a greed from almost every single politician. Paragon had sought a way for them to profit with the disguise of honesty. While these countries under the new rule of China had climbed the charts of economic success, the citizens wanted their rights back. They insisted that even if it cost them a year’s bowl of rice, they wanted that freedom to choose that misery. It was a reminder of their humanity, of who they were. This obviously did not go down well with the Paragon chiefs and finally, the deal was sealed. Paragon became the largest network of countries in the world.”

Donghae paused. “At the same time, however, a curtain of cooperation was pulled into place. General Lee wanted to show that he was still listening to the people and would hold a conference every three months with the representatives of the people and suddenly, by word of mouth, the rumour of Avalon spread.”

I perched my chin on my hand, setting it comfortably with my ears and eyes wide open. Donghae’s lips curled up as he saw the alertness in my posture.

“Avalon was an act that would not only subside all powers to the citizens but also lead to a series of changes that would eventually lead back to freedom. The Avalon Act is like no other. Apart from being a written document, it was also a concept that in the right hands, could casually bring the fall of this hypocritical state.”

“So,” I interrupted. “It’s an anti-body to the Paragon virus?”

Donghae fervently nodded, impressed with my understanding. “That’s a great way of putting it. Anti-body.”

“But no one knows what it says,” I carefully spoke. “No one knows exactly what it outlines.”

Donghae shook his head. “That’s true. But we do know that it is Paragon’s kryptonite.”

“Then why hasn’t it been destroyed yet? Or at least the attempt to…”

“That’s because it’s something close to Paragon’s heart,” Donghae said. “Something close to the General. He wouldn’t destroy it, it’s a sign of Paragon’s existence, the piece of matter that would be brought up every now and then to prove that Paragon was taking care of it’s citizens.”

“So if Avalon is destroyed….”

Donghae shook his head, furrowing his eyebrows. “It’s more complicated. I myself don’t fully comprehend but there are rumours that the document is a fake. That it has no powers and that actual elements of strength lie in another object.”

“Meaning Avalon,” Nicole elaborated, turning to face me, “is not just another act. Anyone who has Avalon with them could march to Paragon, overthrow the system and still be safe.

“Wow,” I exclaimed. I slowly began to understand why Avalon was so important. Maybe if Father had not placed so many guards around this object, it would have been invisible to everyone.

“Are you the only ones after Avalon?” I asked.

Donghae narrowed his eyes. “Anyone who wants freedom and peace wants Avalon. Though we’re not too confident, there is a possibility that other rebel strongholds are waiting for the first move, for us. I wouldn’t blame them though, we’re the only ones Paragon knows of.”

“But how?”

“Because five years ago,” Nicole murmured, her bright eyes veiled with darkness, “a group of us heade to Paragon for a negotiation.”

“And?” My question seemed ominous and I waited until Donghae replied.

“All five were killed.”

I slapped my hand against my mouth, preventing a scream. “Who…”

“Woohyun’s brother Inguk,” Donghae said, “Seohyun’s husband Yonghwa, YongGuk and his younger brother Zelo – they were Hyosung’s friends – and Seungyeon.”

“Who was Seungyeon?”

Donghae looked at Nicole then looked at me. “Woohyun’s fiance.”