001 | Strangers

Love Bits | Oneshot Compilation (15/80)

STRANGERS

written by: silentbunny11

written on: 2nd of December 2011

 

 

She walked alone along the busy streets of Seoul. Still fresh from break-up, her eyes were puffy and all swollen. Yet the busy people passing her by do not care, so it was alright.

“Im Yoona. You’re such a fool… waiting for something that will never happen.” She told herself, laughing like a crazy woman after.

She then noticed the necklace hanging around her neck. It was her boyfriend’s birthday gift for her. It was so precious, she thought. ‘Forever’, it says. A tiny cursive writing engraved on the silver heart which was surrounded by gems.

“Forever,” she whispered, crying again. She missed him so much. She loved him so badly. She gave him everything she could ever do. Why was he so selfish not to give her love back? For ten years of loving him, why was he not able to learn to love her too? Even when their relationship was just arranged by their very own parents, Im Yoona had loved him no matter what. Even when she was just the only one loving, she waited, hoping his heart would learn to love her, too.

He was right, though. “I’ll never learn to love someone back, Yoona. My heart.. can’t.” She remembered that night clearly. She would never forget that. Those lines.. those hurtful lines she pretended not to feel the pain while Choi Siwon was talking.. those lines that left her heart wounded. Yet she hoped… waiting for her wishes to come true. She waited.. for ten years.. she waited like a fool.

“I should’ve listened to him then. I should’ve taken his warning seriously. I should’ve never hoped he’ll love me back, in the first place. Everything… will be alright, I guess.. if only.. I stopped loving him. My heart.. should have been not in much pain. My heart…” she whispered, tears found its way out. In the middle of the street, she stopped from walking. She jut stood there, crying.

Then she heard a car screeching towards her direction. She looked up, trying to see what was coming but she was too late. She saw a flash of light then everything turned into black… just like the lovely night sky above her.

-oOo-

“Miss?” she saw an unfamiliar face of a man staring into her eyes. She blinked twice, trying to clear her vision.

“Where am i?” she tried create a sound, she was able to whisper.

“You’re in the hospital. You were.. in an accident.” He told her, his face has shown relief.

“Why?” she said, her voice cracked.

“Why? It just happened that you were standing on the middle of the street when the street lights gone green.” He answered, irritated by her question. It was not even his fault. He, with her younger sister on the front seat, was just driving safely behind a taxi. He didn’t saw her, unfortunately. Not until the last second.

“You should’ve let me die.” She whispered, a tear fall from her eyes.

“What?” he asked, shocked by her answer. “You didn’t think of suicide, right?”

She just stayed silent.

“May I know your name? Your address or any contact number from your family?” he asked.

“They’re all dead.” She lied. They would not care.

“Sorry. How about your friends?” he asked.

Instead of answering, she just closed her eyes. The tears continued form falling.

The man, unable what to do with the stranger, just stared on the window beside them. Two days has past before she woke up. He was thankful. At least, she’s alive. He doesn’t want to let someone die because of him… again. He looked at her again and noticed how upset she had become. He thought he would rather see her sleep rather than waking up since all she did was just to cry.

She’s even a stranger. But why am I feeling sad for her too?

He shook her head and stood up. “I.. I’m sorry.”

-oOo-

It took her three more days before the doctors agreed on letting her go. For three days, it was the man who had took care of her since no one else was around for her. Within those days, all she did was just to cry. And all he did was just to stay silent and give her company. There was nothing he could think of.

“I hate it but I think I have to walk you home.” He told her, as they were walking outside the hospital.

“You don’t need to. Don’t worry I’m fine… you’re even a stranger.” She told him.

“I know. I do still know that we’ve just met five days ago and instantly become your caregiver. I’m sorry about that.” He said sarcastically.

She just gave him a look, even when her head was still stinging.

He just turned away, a smirk formed on his lips.

“Just walk me to the park.” She finally said, her head straight across her, a tint of sorrow evident in her eyes.

“Sure.”

The park was not that far so they decided to just walk. Yoona, still unable to walk properly, was guided by the young man.

“You.. you really should be careful next time.” He said, it was the first thing he could ever think of to break the awkwardness between them.

“Sure. Next time I’ll make sure I’ll be dead.” She told him, laughing loudly after.

“You must be kidding me.” He told her, nudging his elbows.

“Your girlfriend must feel lucky to have you.” She told him in a hush tone, a crooked smile formed in her face. As usual, she remembered him again. Siwon- oppa never held me like this before.

“And your boyfriend must be lucky to have someone who’s pretty even when sleeping.” He admitted, laughing at himself at how open he had become. Yes, he does feel comfortable. Maybe because they do not know each other. Maybe because after they part, everything they have shared will turn into nothing. Maybe because after this, everything will just go back to normal. Maybe because after this, they’ll just become strangers.. as what they really are.

And sometimes, it made him feel contented. Meeting a stranger is sometimes fine. Even when they haven’t talked much.. even when they do not know each other’s name.. even when they were just strangers.. meeting each other was fine.. more than fine.

The two of them stopped when they reached the park already. The sun was already setting and it was beautiful. Hey just stood there, not talking but just plainly watching the sun sets having each other’s presence.

After a few moments, Yoona broke the silence.

“Thanks for walking me here. You can.. leave me now.” She told him, staring into his eyes. Thanks for being with me when I was alone.

“Sure. And about what you’ve said just awhile ago.. were you serious with getting into an accident again?” he asked, staring into her eyes. And for the first time, he saw her laugh.. so pure… so innocent… so beautiful.

“And if I say yes?” she asked, still smiling.

“Then I’ll make sure I’d be the one to hit you. At least I can save you from being dead?” he said. At least I can see you again. “I’m not going to hit you anyway. I’ve learned my lesson now, pabo.”

She clicked her tongue. “I don’t think so.” Then she laughed again.

“And one last thing.” He said.

“…” she just waited, their eyes meeting.

“What’s your name?” I’m Shim changmin. And I love you. I don’t know why. I just do.

“…” I’m Im Yoona.And I love you, too. I don’t know why. I just do.

“Good. Let’s be strangers then.” We’ll meet again. That’s for sure.

Maybe because just being strangers is best.. as for now.

 

 

graphics by my lovely dongsaeng Tiniel / SeoKyulate2803 <3