Chapter 4

Call Me JB Hyung

Call Me JB Hyung - Chapter 4

____________________________________________________________________________________

We've become like a group - the seven of us.

 

Almost every day of the week we meet, most of the time at JB hyung's apartment. This is so that most of the time we end up sleeping over.

 

Well...the guys do it more than me. Because I was punished for a whole week for lying, I don't want to risk doing something else that will upset my parents.

 

So when we meet at JB hyung's apartment, he drops me off at home the same time every night while the guys get ready to sleep over.

 

Even if he has school early the next morning, no matter what I say, he won't let me pay for a taxi or even take the bus.

 

I once asked him his reasons but he never replied. I didn't question it anymore when I asked again another time and he glared at me with a response.

 

I miss a lot of episodes because I'm never with them when something interesting happens. Sometimes the guys joke about funny episodes and I can't laugh with them because I wasn't there.

 

It makes me feel bad. Also a little annoyed at my mom for forcing me to be home. Then I remember other problems. Problems like her trying to teach me how to cook recently. I think she uses this as an excuse to make me stay home.

 

I hate that she forces me, but her teaching has helped me a little. Since she's working more at her friend's shop, she usually doesn't leave a lot of food to share between me and my dad. The guys also seem to enjoy that I can make at least simple dishes without burning something.

 

I don't think it's cooking, but apparently me knowing how to make proper rice and ramen is better than not knowing how to cook at all. That's what my mom and Jr hyung say all the time.

 

After learning these two "dishes" my mom is now trying to teach me more hard recipes.

 

I almost burned the kimchi stew when she tried to teach me one day.

 

Even so, it's fun to learn from her and try to teach the guys what I learn. 

 

Jackson always praises me saying of course it's because I'm the smartest, but I wonder what intelligence has to do with knowing...or learning how to cook...

 

Even so, I've found that JB hyung has been eating less fast food and beginning to learn how to cook too. It at least makes me happy that I influenced him to change his poor diet.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was one night when we were all lazing around watching tv when Yugyeom suddenly jumped up to a song that began playing loudly.

 

I just stared.

 

They have talked about how they frequently go to the dance studio, but I've never actually seen any of them dance.

 

Who knew that Yugyeom is such a sensual dancer.

 

I sat, staring, amazed and a little embarrassed. Soon the others were up and following him. I then noticed that the music was playing from Jackson's phone and not the tv.

 

JB hyung suddenly started doing some dance moves on the floor and I continued staring. He's talked about b-boying many times before, but I've never seen it. It actually looks very difficult.

 

"Come on!" Yugyeom suddenly yelled at me.

 

"I can't dance." I mumbled frowning. "I'll watch and cheer you on." I said, smiling wide.

 

He smiled and nodded. His sensuality continued with even more hip movements.

 

"Yugyeom! Fiiiighting! Fiiiighting! Yugyeom fiiiighting!" I cheered him on.

 

It seems the more I cheered the more his hips swayed. I couldn't stop laughing. 

 

The others were dancing too. BamBam was showing Jr hyung some difficult type of move. This is when I realized that the music was now really loud.

 

Does JB hyung have neighbors?

 

My thoughts were not answered, but suddenly I was pulled up by the arm.

 

"Ow..." I flinched and looked up to see a wide grin on Jackson hyung's face.

 

"Dance!" he yelled.

 

"I can't." I yelled back.

 

Suddenly, hands landed on both my arms, but I quickly pulled back. It's an impulse I've noticed recently being around the guys. Because they play around a lot.

 

Jackson frowned.

 

"Come on..." he whined.

 

What does he want me to do? I can't dance.

 

"Do this." he began doing some odd move where his hands were out in front of him, up in the air as he twisted his body and his legs quickly moved.

 

"...and...what is this?" I asked staring at him, amazed that he could even twist his body like he was. It seems there are two people who love dancing with their hips. Yugyeomie and Jackson hyung.

 

"Just do it. It's a dance move." he said, grabbing both my arms once again. I noticed that the others stopped to stare at us.

 

Jackson let my arms go and did the move again. What could I do? It seems they really wanted me to twist my body and dance like Jackson hyung.

 

I asked him to do it again, and finally I sighed and copied the move.

 

I became embarrassed and a little annoyed when they quickly started laughing. BamBam and Mark hyung even fell on the floor laughing. I felt my cheeks heat up. JB hyung snickered loudly. Their response made me quickly stop.

 

I stood in embarrassment as they laughed at me.

 

"I told you I can't dance..." I mumbled.

 

"No. No." Yugyeom was suddenly besides me, still laughing. "That was great! If you practice you can get better." he said, patting my head. He always treats me like I'm younger just because he has a height advantage.

 

I couldn't take him seriously because he continued laughing so hard.

 

"Thanks..." I mumbled, not knowing what to do. He complimented me but tears fell from his eyes because he was laughing so hard.

 

Did I really look that ridiculous?

 

A hand suddenly landed on my shoulder. I turned to see JB hyung, a small smile on his face.

 

"No, he's right. Dancing isn't only about moves, it's about letting loose and enjoying yourself." he said patting my shoulder.

 

I watched as Yugyeom walked away and everyone finally sat down, still laughing at my ridiculous dancing.

 

"Thanks hyung but-"

 

My phone interrupted me. I didn't have to look to know who it was. We all knew who it was.

 

"Youngjae's mom is calling again!" Jackson hyung yelled.

 

I sighed and walked towards my phone.

 

She wanted me home. She suddenly said they needed to talk to me about something. So once again, after apologizing over and over, JB hyung dropped me off.

 

He parked closer to my house than usual. Even after finding out where I live, he usually parks a little far away for me. But tonight he parked really close.

 

So I quickly rushed out of his car and waved goodbye.

 

My parents still haven't met him.

 

It's even more difficult ever since he decided to get more ear piercings. I sometimes think he's obsessed with getting new piercings. He has so many more since the first time I went with him.

 

I just hope he doesn't have any secret tattoos he's hiding from me.

 

Sometimes I think I know nothing about JB hyung.

 

How does he act with his family?

 

Does he have siblings?

 

How does he act in school?

 

Does he have anyone new he likes?

 

I always wonder about these same questions that I get too nervous to ask him.

 

I stared as he drove off after waving back. As usual I stared until his car disappeared from my view before turning around, only to suddenly stop at the sudden appearance of my mom as she stood not too far away from me, her arms crossed.

 

She didn't look happy.

 

But these days she never does.
____________________________________________________

 

She didn't have to say anything. I slowly followed her as she opened the door and walked inside the house. I caught up to her quickly, already wondering if my dad was home or not. 

 

It made me just a little more nervous.

 

My mom walked away and I slowly took off my shoes and followed behind her, staring at her back as she walked towards my dad. He was sitting on the couch watching tv.

 

"Who was that?"

 

The sound of her voice suddenly made me jump.

 

So suddenly.

 

"N-no one." I didn't mean to say.

 

She shook her head and motioned for me to sit. My dad didn't move at all. He continued staring at the tv. With my head lowered I sat down.

 

I didn't know why, but I suddenly felt shameful. Like I shouldn't have been with JB hyung or the others. I suddenly regretted ever going to the cafe that one snowy day months ago.

 

"I'll ask again. Who was that?" my mom asked once again. She sat next to my dad, her arms crossed.

 

They always treat me like a child. All the time. Even now.

 

"A friend." I decided to reply.

 

A moment of silence passed.

 

"Who's this friend? We haven't met him before. Is he a classmate?" she asked.

 

Is this why she called me? She found out about JB hyung before I could tell her?

 

A long silence passed.

 

"I should get back to work." my dad suddenly said.

 

So he didn't come home early...

 

I sighed and slowly nodded.

 

"He's a friend I met at a cafe." I said, looking at my mom.

 

"How old is he?" she quickly asked.

 

With my head lowered I answered her.

 

"This boy is too old for you to be calling your friend. Is he the one that has had you so distracted lately? You always come home late and rush out as soon as you have free time. You should be studying Youngjae! Not playing around with boys that are twice your age!" she yelled.

 

"He's not twice my age." I said, looking at her.

 

A short silence passed.

 

I've never acted this way with her before. I usually always listen to what she has to say and accept it without a word.

 

But recently me and my parents have become a little distant. Not completely because of JB hyung and the guys, but I've realized that as I get older, I wonder why I never do what I really want to do.

 

My mom looked shocked as she stared at me.

 

I quickly lowered my head and mumbled an apology.

 

I may have been around Jackson hyung too much...

 

"We registered you for cram school. We thought we could give you some free time but we see that you're not taking it seriously. You're not studying. It's your last year and you need to work extra hard to get into a good university. Starting tomorrow you're going to the cram school my friend recommends. From nine to seven."

 

"Nine to seven?" I almost yelled back at my dad, who decided to finally talk.

 

"Why?" I asked. "I can study here at-"

 

"We decided it's for the best. All the successful students are going to this cram school and are ranking very high. Your rank is ok, but it's not good. You have to aim higher Youngjae." I stared at her as she spoke in confidence.

 

"Remember that your older brother and sister became successful because they studied hard. You have to become successful too. I said what I needed to say." I watched as my dad stood up and walked out of the house. I was left in silence as my mom also stood up and walked into the kitchen.

 

Almost like they planned this whole thing since the school break began.

 

I've always tried to not lie to them, but they lied to me. They really just compared me to my older siblings, who are really twice my age and live completely free lives.

 

Are they talking about my successful older brother that never calls to see how we are doing?

 

I stayed in my room the rest of the night and refused to eat. Not even my dad's yelling made me come out. Even if it scared me a little.

 

For three days I went to cram school, returned home, and locked myself in my room. During these three days I couldn't contact any of the guys. This is because my phone went missing suspiciously the second night after I argued with my dad about coming out to eat.

 

 My parents were taking the whole situation so seriously.

 

I sat in my room all three days, until I gave up on eating convenience store snacks and finally left my room.

 

I figured nothing was going to change if I continued acting the way I was. Like a child.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was one night after cram school that I dragged my tired body out of the building, which happens to be right next door to my school.

 

I decided to try to catch the next bus home, so I quickly began walking towards the nearest bus stop, mumbling to myself about how the cram school teacher keeps teaching the same material that I already know.

 

I sighed, walking quickly, my headphones tight around my ears. When Yugyeom isn't around and I feel terrible, music always makes me feel better.

 

I didn't pay attention to anything around me. I only focused on my music.

 

So it shocked me, almost making me fall, when hands suddenly grabbed at my shoulders. One hand instantly covered my mouth and another my eyes.

 

I didn't know what was going on. I tried screaming, but it didn't come out. Arms just wrapped tighter around me. They quickly began pushing me somewhere.

 

I was finally able to see when I was pulled into a car. I knew who was kidnapping me. I knew who's car I was in. I could smell his usual shampoo even before my mind could think of screaming for help.

 

The guys pushed me into JB hyung's apartment. I didn't struggle, still so tired from all the material taught in cram school.

 

They at least let me rest for a little while before questioning me.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

I woke up to the sound of a tv, and familiar voices.

 

I laid there for a while listening the the guys talking.

 

I missed this.

 

It's when I realized just where I was though, that I quickly lifted myself up.

 

"He's up." BamBam suddenly said.

 

The first person who I caught eyes with is JB hyung, then the rest of the guys. They stared at me as if I've done a crime. I suddenly wondered how many missed calls were on my phone.

 

"You look like Youngjae." Jackson hyung suddenly said. I wondered what made him start cursing in front of me. Before he insisted that since I'm too pure, he can't curse in front of me ever.

 

Whatever that means.

 

I didn't reply him, but stood up and looked around, my eyes catching the time quickly.

 

"I have to go." I murmured.

 

"Your mom again? What's up? Why have you been gone for days?" Mark hyung asked me.

 

I stared at him.

 

If Mark hyung is showing his worry, then I may have worried the others even more.

 

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

 

He shook his head.

 

"My parents are forcing me to go to cram school from nine to seven. I don't have any time anymore and I'm not allowed to see you." I admitted.

 

A long silence passed.

 

"Why? We're not bad guys. Even Yugyeom is here." Jackson said.

 

I looked towards Yugyeom who smiled lightly.

 

"Your mom has always been so strict." he said.

 

"They're not strict...they just want the best for me I guess." I mumbled.

 

It's always something I've told myself to believe because actually, I don't think my parents are strict at all. They just want me to get a good job. They might be controlling sometimes, but I think they just show their love in a different way.

 

They did the same to my siblings.

 

"So no call?" JB hyung suddenly asked.

 

"I'm sorry." I apologized again, lifting my hands up. "They took my phone away."

 

"What?" Jackson yelled.

 

He looked so angry all of a sudden.

 

"Why are they controlling you?" he asked. "You're their son not their slave."

 

I watched as he walked away angrily, cussing a bit. I've never seen him so mad. All of them suddenly became silent. I didn't like it.

 

What happened to the cheerful atmosphere before?

 

"You know...you don't have to listen to them hyung." Yugyeom suddenly said.

 

It always surprises me when he calls me hyung.

 

"What are you saying? I do." I replied him.

 

"No you don't." JB hyung said, walking up to me. "You don't have to go to cram school or let them control you okay? It's your life." he said.

 

I stared at him. I wanted so much to listen to him like I've been doing for the past few months, but my parents have been there even before I met him.

 

JB hyung might be raising me now, but my parents have raised me since I was born.

 

A hand suddenly landed on my shoulder.

 

I stared up at Jr hyung.

 

"You're very filial to your parents. I know you love them. We all love our parents, but sometimes you have to do what you want to do too. You can't live your life doing what they want every time. You can't live your life being scared of them okay?" he said staring down at me.

 

It's the first they ever acted their age. I listened. I listened to them well. But when the sound of Yugyeom's phone went off it was as if all they said disappeared. Of course my mom has Yugyeom's phone number stored safely in her phone for times like this.

 

I got up even before Yugyeom could pick up.

 

"Tell her I'm coming." I said, not wanting to lie. I think it's the lying and keeping secrets that lead to all this.

 

I caught eyes with JB hyung and he sighed and got up. I apologized to everyone and left with him to his car. It was a silent drive. The first of ever since the time he picked me up at Yugyeom's house.

 

Did we go back to square one?

 

I had many thoughts like this as we arrived to my house.

 

I quickly got out of the car and closed the door, turning around to look at JB hyung.

 

He lowered the window.

 

"I'm sorry hyung. I'll try to come by again." I said smiling, trying to get his expressionless face to show emotion. I hate when I can't tell what he's thinking.

 

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning." he suddenly replied.

 

I stared at him. He still didn't show any sort of expression that I could follow.

 

So I laughed it off.

 

"I can't hyung...you know I have to be at-"

 

"See you!"

 

He drove off even before I could finish my words. I stood staring at his car a moment longer before laughing.

 

"He's so spoiled." I mumbled to myself before walking to my house.

 

There was a bit of arguing, but my parents soon let me go to sleep, only to have to wake up early the next morning. My dad insisted he was going to drop me off. It wasn't even time for cram school yet, but after yesterday they were even more suspicious.

 

He dropped me off and watched until I walked inside the building. I waited for him to leave before I walked back out, noticing JB hyung's car as soon as we arrived. I ran to the familiar car, a wide smile on my face.

 

"Hyung! Guys! You're really crazy!" I yelled.

 

"Hey!" they yelled back and I laughed loudly.

 

I was soon pulled into the car. It turns out Jr hyung also drives, so Mark and Jackson hyung were riding in his car.

 

I didn't think twice about skipping cram school once I was sitting in JB hyung's car. I'm already convinced that he has some type of spell over me.

 

They decided the amusement park, so we drove all the way there.

 

As soon as we arrived, we went on many rides. Me and Jackson hyung refused to go on one scary one called viking, so we sat waiting for the others to get off the ride.

 

During this time we got to know each other much better. He told me a lot about himself in just a few minutes.

 

When JB hyung returned, a wide smile of laughter on his face, we went onto a more easier ride for me, while the rest of the guys headed somewhere else.

 

The seven of us met back below a tent with seats underneath.

 

I laughed as JB hyung laid down, complaining of being tired.

 

We laughed.

 

Old man...

 

"This is better." I lifted my head and he was looking at me.

 

The others stopped chatting to look as well.

 

"Huh?" I said confused.

 

"It's better when you're laughing." JB hyung said. I stared at him a bit surprised. I think we all stared, before a fit of laughter escaped us once again.

 

"What kind of cheesy line is that hyung?" I asked.

 

This time I could dodge him before he could get to me. I ran away as JB hyung ran after me, the guys running after him.

 

Being around them really does make me really happy.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

They didn't find out.

 

Well there are a lot of students in my cram class and only one teacher, so I guess they wouldn't really care if one student was missing right?

 

Since then, every time my dad drops me off I wait until his car leaves to rush back out and into JB hyung's car. Almost like a teenage girl sneaking around to meet her secret boyfriend. This is what Jr hyung calls it.

 

It became a daily routine and the more I wasn't being caught, the more the feeling of adrenaline went through me.

 

JB hyung is really something new, something bad in my life.

 

Something that can make me start acting my age.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

One morning I woke up early, ready for the thrilling day when a knock on my door made me freeze.

 

My mom walked in, two phones in her hand. Her cellphone and mine.

 

I looked up at her confused.

 

Have they finally figured it out?

 

I didn't care if she did find out, but even so, my heart started beating loudly as she walked towards me.

 

I didn't care if she started yelling at me, but I didn't want her to feel as if I'm not listening to her. It's just...being with the guys really makes me happy.

 

"I'm returning your phone because you have been really good lately." she suddenly said.

 

I watched as she handed me my phone. I wanted to feel guilty, but the thrill from the last few weeks didn't allow me. It's unbelievable why they took my phone away in the first place anyway.

 

I stared at my phone for a bit before turning it on. It had even more calls then I thought from the guys. I even noticed some recent calls. As if they forgot I didn't have my phone and tried to call me.

 

I looked back up at my mom and she smiled lightly.

 

"I know sometimes we act tough, but it's for your own good. You know that right?" she asked.

 

I nodded. The response she wants.

 

"We love you Youngjae-ah." she said.

 

"Mom..." I mumbled, looking away from her in embarrasement.

 

She laughed and nodded.

 

"Say you love your mom." she said.

 

I sighed and smiled.

 

I love you more when you act like this.

 

"I love you mom." I finally replied.

 

I do love her so much. They might be controlling sometimes but the reason why I study so hard is all for them. They have supported me all this time.

 

She smiled before nodding and leaving the room.

 

"And oh..." she stepped back into my room. "Don't be mad at your father. I'll have him put the lock back on your door. I was shocked when he removed it. We've just been worried since you're still so young." she said pointing to my door.

 

Oh yeah, that second day we argued and he took my phone away, he also took the lock out of my door. I remember him doing it once or twice to my older brother a few years ago.

 

"But I'm not doing anything bad." I said. And I'm not. The only thing I do with the guys is go to amusement parks or the movies. Sometimes we just laze around at JB hyung's apartment all day.

 

"These university guys are bad for you. They smoke and drink and you're too young for that." she said.

 

"They don't." I said quickly. "They don't. Listen to me mom. Meet them. They're really nice. They make me happy." I tried to convince her to at least meet them.

 

She shook her head no quickly.

 

"Just focus on studying right now." she said sighing. "If you can finish the last few weeks of this month then you don't have to go to cram school anymore." she said. Her way of apologizing probably.

 

I smiled widely and nodded, kissing her cheek.

 

"Thank you!" I yelled.

 

She smiled and nodded before pulling away.

 

I quickly messaged the guys the great news.

 

It didn't take any longer, only a few days later I was done with having to go to cram school. After attending the last few classes, I didn't have to go anymore.

 

The last day was the greatest. BamBam and Yugyeom cooked something that, though looked weird, tasted really good.

 

I went home early that night too, only to make sure my mom's good mood stayed the same and I could see JB hyung and the guys some more without any worry about being caught not attending cram school.

____________________________________________________________________________________