Chapter 10

Call Me JB Hyung

Call Me JB Hyung - Chapter 10
____________________________________________________


You forget what's around you when testing time comes around again and again.

 

I easily forget.



Winter vacation and the new year celebration quickly passed by and the entrance exams I've been studying so hard for are finally coming. 



My last year in high school will be ending soon, and this time I was promised the whole summer to myself to finally find myself a part time job. 
 


In just a couple of more weeks all the 3rd years will prepare themselves even more to go sit for the exams that determine which university they can get into.
 


"Youngjae!" 



My mom's voice suddenly filled my room. Every day after my night class I hurry home and lock myself in my room to study. When it's testing time I usually become a little bit distant, but this exam has made me moody.



I refused to eat, and turn on my phone until I finished studying.



"Youngjae your friends are here! Don't you think you've been in there for too long. You don't even come out to eat!" 



I quickly lifted myself up and opened the door for her, finally tired enough to take a break.



"Your friends are here." she said brightly. 



Friends? The guys? 



It surprised me when I followed her to find the guys sitting on my couch watching TV.



How long have they been here? I didn't hear them at all. 



"There he is." Yugyeom said loudly.



"Hi." I quietly said.

 

I suddenly felt guilty after realizing that I've been avoiding them since winter break, all because of studying. 



"Every time he comes home he goes straight in there and starts studying. The only time he comes out is to eat and ask his dad a question." my mom suddenly said.



I lowered my head. 



"I was worried about him in there, so I asked Yugyeom to invite you." she said. "It got him out of the room." 



I lifted my head quickly and stared at my mom wide eyed.



She planned it? Since when has she been this supporting of the guys? But recently she's been accepting JB hyung...



"Youngjae." Yugyeom said. 



I looked up at him. 



"Hyung." BamBam continued.



"Mm?" I mumbled.



"You look terrible." they both said this at the same time and I didn't bother going to hit them like I would usually do when they join together to make fun of me.



"I think I'm finally ready for the test. I can't focus anymore." I admitted.



"You even sound terrible." Yugyeom said. 



"Hey." I mumbled, finding myself a seat. I sat down next to Yugyeom and hit him twice on the chest. He started laughing before he blocked my third hit.



"We just want to make sure you're okay. You haven't replied to any of us." Jr hyung said.



"I'm done studying. I can't study anymore." I mumbled.



"I didn't put him in any study courses because he's already studying so hard. We want you in a good school but don't overwork yourself." my mom said, getting up.
 


My eyes went wide.

 

I stared at her as she disappeared into the kitchen and came back with drinks.



"Mom...did something happen?" I finally asked.

 

I've been wondering ever since she allowed me to stay at JB hyung's apartment for my late birthday party. 



She turned towards me and a small smile appeared on her face.
 


"Hurry and introduce me to your friends Youngjae." she said, ignoring me. 



I watched as she walked over to Yugyeom and patted him on the head.

 

"I already know you." she said smiling.

 

She's always treated Yugyeom like my little brother, but her change of attitude about the guys since Chuseok still shocks me.



Am I dreaming? 



"Wake up." 



Yugyeom hit my shoulder and I stared at them for a little bit before hitting Yugyeom back and smiling, finally introducing them.



"Where is Jaebum. He's not here today?"



It surprises me every time my mom mentions JB hyung now. She frequently asks if he's okay. The breaks that have passed by, she asked about JB hyung, even worried he might be alone.



She talks about him as if they've met plenty of times before. I wouldn't be surprised if I found her talking to him one day on the phone. 



"He's with Jackson in school. They both have tests to complete today." Jr hyung quickly replied her.



"J-Jack...son? Is he a foreigner? Is he from America too?" she asked excitedly. I watched her turn towards Mark hyung in delight. She suddenly quickly started asking him to help me with English. 



She's embarrassing me now. 



"Jackson hyung is Chinese mom." BamBam quickly replied her. "He can speak English and French too." BamBam continued praising Jackson.



I didn't know Jackson hyung can speak French. Don't forget he also teases me a lot.



The thought made me snicker.



"Youngjae."



"Yes mom." I said turning to look at the big smile she had on her face.



"Introduce me to your friend Jackson too. I was thinking of getting you a tutor for English but you have many foreigner friends now. Learn hard from them. They will teach you a lot." she said.



I stared at her, still a little confused. A few months ago she was yelling at me for finding friends that are older than me.



"For helping my son so much, tomorrow I will make dinner for all of you to thank you for helping Youngaje focus. Tell Jaebum and your friend Jackson too." my mom said.



"Wow! Thank you mom!" BamBam said excitedly.



I smiled, watching BamBam. I've always thought I can't leave him alone. BamBam is more like a little brother than tall Yugyeom who towers over me and rarely calls me hyung. Thinking about it I glared at Yugyeom and of course he caught me and immediately smiled.



To me they are both little brothers I need to take care of. No matter what Yugyeom says. I have to be a good older brother to them. Even if they play jokes on me all the time.
 


I smiled, surprised that Yugyeom didn't catch on and accuse me of thinking bad of him, before hitting me. I would have hit him back and it would have just continued because our relationship is this kind of relationship. 
 


"I'm trusting you all with Youngjae. He's never done anything bad. He always listens to his mom. Don't teach him anything bad like smoking. Help him find a girlfriend to-"



"Mom."



She started laughing, making the guys start laughing with her.



What's with everyone and all this talk about a girlfriend? Am I suddenly old enough now? I don't think I am.



"BamBam. Youngjae said your name is Ku...Kunimi...Kunmipook....Bhu...Bhuwakul? From Thailand right? Wow. Do you cook?"



"Mom! You are so good at Thai. You are a professional." BamBam happily praised my mom and I watched as they walked into the kitchen together. I've talked about BamBam before to her and she wanted to meet him. 



"JB and Jackson hyung are taking a test? What is it for?" I asked, turning towards the guys. They were focused on some music show.



"Did you look at your phone at all? JB hyung sent a group message to meet at his apartment." 



I stared at Jr hyung and quickly ran into my room to get my phone. I really did turn it off completely. I had missed calls and texts from weeks ago. 



"Jackson wanted to see if he could go over some notes with you before the test today but he couldn't get you. He almost came here but JB went over it with him." Mark said.



"Ah...sorry." I apologized sitting down. "I turned it off and forgot about it."



"Apologize to him when you see him later." Jr said.



I nodded, quickly replying to all their messages.



"You have any dark circles. Have you really been studying so hard? Every time I called your mom said you were in your room studying and she didn't want to bother you." Yugyeom suddenly said. 



"I've been studying for weeks for this test." I said groaning. "I think the more I study, the more I forget." 



"How do you think you're going to do?" Mark asked.



"I honestly don't know. I feel like I haven't studied enough." 



"The more you study the more you forget." Jr said, his hand rubbing through my hair. "You'll do great. Don't worry so much about it and pick up your phone." he said. 



I leaned into his hand, letting my eyes close, suddenly feeling so tired. 



"I know." I mumbled a reply.



Even though Jr hyung sometimes is a bit sneaky and likes to be by himself, I always like to see the motherly side he shows us all. He really knows how to comfort. 



"Youngjae. Bring your friends to eat!" 



"Yes mom." I said getting up. 



Soon enough we were eating. My mom was getting along better than I would have ever imagined. It's like her attitude changed completely. 


____________________________________________________

Two days later, a Tuesday school night and the guys were once again eating at my house, this time everyone came. I was surprised to see JB hyung. I realized that I really haven't seen them in weeks.



My mom decided to have a BBQ party, and JB and Jackson hyung were more than happy to grill the meat. The rest of us helped her with washing the vegetables and bringing everything outside.



By the time the meat finished we were sitting around the table eating.



"So how did you all meet Youngjae?" my mom suddenly asked. 



A short moment of silence passed. I sat up straight.



"I met JB hyung at a cafe first. Then he started helping teacher Kim in the classroom. I met the hyungs later." 



"A cafe?" she asked.



"I like the sweets there." I quickly said. She may have oddly accepted the guys so suddenly, but if she finds out that I drink coffee, she won't be so accepting.
 


A short silence passed.

 

I lowered my head and started playing with my hands. 



As much as my mom doesn't want me to be influenced by older hyung's who drink and smoke, she doesn't like coffee drinkers even more. 



I remember her forcing my dad to stop his habit. I picked it up when testing became much more harder to study for. It's not a habit for me though. I only drink it to calm myself down during testing, and I've only had it a few times.



I could suddenly feel JB hyung's eyes on me. He caught my lie instantly.

 

I remember him asking me why I drink coffee the second day I had some. He didn't seem to want me to drink it either. 



See? I'm not so innocent. I can lie too. I had a hard time before, but I can do it much better now since I've met the guys.



It's not that they made me start lying, but they've really made me realize that I can't live for my parents, trying to always please them. Sometimes you have to lie too.



"Uh...Youngjae does really good. He's been helping me and Jackson a lot." JB hyung suddenly said.



I caught eyes with him for only a second before he looked away. I wanted to laugh. He always gets so embarrassed about things like this but he does it anyway. He will never admit. 



He's trying to save me from getting in trouble. 



"Youngjae does a lot. We want him in a very good college. I don't want him to be influenced by anything..." my mom paused and I smiled at her when I caught eyes with her. "That's why I told him not to see you all...but after meeting you I know you won't show him anything bad." she said. 



"You won't show him anything bad won't you?" she asked after a short silence passed.

 

They quickly replied and I chuckled. 



"I'm really just worried." my mom said.



"Mom..." I whined. 



"We understand mom. We won't let anything happen to him." Mark suddenly said. 



This hyung that never talks. 



"Let's eat. Let's eat!" my mom yelled and I laughed as we began eating again. 



It wasn't long before my mom started with the stories. Her choice was the embarrassing stories that my family made sure JB hyung knew before we left Mokpo. 



She started talking about the one time I cried in front of her when I didn't pass a test.



"He didn't pass it the way he wanted to. He studied so hard for the test but didn't get the grade he wanted. When he came home he came straight to me and suddenly started crying. I was shocked." my mom said. 



She looked serious telling the story but I could tell the guys wanted to laugh. 



"Mom." I whined.
 


"It was the first time I've seen him cry since he was younger." she said. 



"I've see him cry too." Yugyeom suddenly said.
 


"Hey." I turned towards Yugyeom who laughed. 



"Really?" my mom's eyes went slightly wide and I sighed, remembering the time I cried in front of Yugyeom. I made a note to stop crying in front of people after that.



Yugyeom quickly began telling them about a time I came to him crying and hugging him. I'm glad he didn't tell them why. 



I remember it clearly. I always go running to Yugyeom when my dad and I have a fight. I haven't been doing it since I met JB hyung, but before I would always go to Yugyeom. One time I ended up crying and Yugueom just held me in his arms. I told him about the fight after.



"What were you crying about Youngjae?"



I lifted my head and caught eyes with my mom. I couldn't stop my foot from hitting Yugyeom who was sitting next to me. I didn't want to lie, even though I just did a few moments ago.
 


I still need to get used to it.



"I...don't really remember." I answered after a moment of silence. 



The silence continued. I lowered my head even more and started playing with my hands. Like JB hyung, I admit I'm not really good at these type of things either.



"This food is really good mom! As expected, you're a good cook just like my mom!" BamBam suddenly said.



I wonder if he can tell that I feel uncomfortable. 
 


"Thank you BamBam. You're so cute." she laughed loudly and I let go of the breath I was holding, slowly chuckling with her.



The embarrassing story time soon fell into a more relaxing mood where we finished eating and started lightly chatting.



Soon my mom was lifting herself up. She began grabbing some of the empty bowls.



"Mom?"
 


We caught eyes and she smiled and shook her head.



"You boys keep talking. I have to go somewhere with Youngjae's father today for his work. I'll go do the dishes."



"N-No we'll do it!" Jr hyung quickly said.



"We'll do it mom." I repeated smiling.

 

She nodded. 



"Youngjae is going to be taking his entrance exams soon. You all cheer him on for me. He doesn't think he will do well."



"Mom." I whined at her to stop. 



First the embarrassing stories and now this? I don't really want them knowing my weaknesses. 



She laughed and nodded.
 


"I want you to know. You're my smart boy. You will pass!" she said putting her fist up in delight. I laughed, suddenly I wanted to hug her, but not in front of them.
 


"Thanks...bye mom." I mumbled instead.



She smiled lightly before leaving.



The guys started laughing as soon as she left. I laughed with them, hiding my embarrassment.



I know you all do this with your moms too. 



We did the dishes first, cleaning the space we used outside and then going into my room to lay around. I helped Jackson and BamBam with their homework. 
 


"I visited Nora last week." JB hyung suddenly said.



"That's what you went back for the other time?" Jr hyung asked.



"Yeah." he replied.
 


"That's good. You were all depressed without her. As if she's your daughter or something." Jackson said.



"She is his daughter." Yugyeom joked.



"You finally got to see her. Why is she living with your brother now hyung?" BamBam asked.



"Don't you know? Youngjae hyung is allergic." Yugyeom suddenly said.



A short silence passed.



"I'm not allergic. I just sneeze a little." I said.



Another silence passed.



"What?" I said lifting myself up. 



Why are they suddenly so quiet? 



"You're allergic hyung." BamBam said.



We've never had any serious conversations before. It suddenly became too serious. 



"Maybe I am." I quickly said. "But it's not a big deal." 



"But it's what it sounds like since Nora has to leave." Jackson said. 



"Nora can stay with JB hyung. He's getting a job now. I'm going to start school. We won't have time every day to meet at his place." I said.
 


"So you're not coming?"



"I didn't say that." I replied.



"Then what about Nora? You're allergic to cats." 



"JB hyung and I don't live together. He should have Nora around if he wants BamBam." I replied.



Why are we talking about this? It's nothing to talk about so seriously. It's not like we all live together. 



"Let's talk about something else." JB hyung suddenly jumped in. 
 


"I can handle it." I found myself saying. "I'm not allergic. I just sneeze a little. It's not like I'll be around there all the time."



But I am allergic.



I sighed.

 

"If it's for JB hyung I can handle it. Once you guys get to your last year you will see. We all won't have much time to meet at JB hyung's apartment every day." I said.



"He's right." Jr hyung agreed.



"That's true."



"This is stupid. Did testing make you this moody? Let's stop talking about this." Mark hyung suddenly yelled and we all turned to face him.



When Mark hyung is mad, it's always a new sight, but it makes us calm down.



We spent the rest of the night watching a movie before the guys left for the night. I fell asleep as soon as they left. 


____________________________________________________

"Youngjae! You left your phone in here."

 


I quickly got up and ran into the kitchen, where my mom stood, my phone in her hand.



I apologized and took it from her, quickly answering.



"Hello? Jackson hyung?" 



"Yongjai." Jackson squealed. 



I laughed.

 

"What's up hyung?" I asked. It's only been a week since they came for BBQ and we had that serious conversation for the first time.



"I have another test in a couple of days and JB isn't around again." 



"JB hyung is gone again?" I asked.



"He left to his parents place again. Didn't he tell you?" 



"No." I replied.



But of course I'm finding myself to always be the last one to know these things.



"Since you've been so busy studying. Maybe he doesn't want to bother you." Jackson said.



I nodded.

 

A short silence passed. 



"So when can I come over. Should I call your mom first?" Jackson asked.



My eyes went slightly wide.

 

"You have her number?" I asked.



"She gave it to us the last time we were there." he replied.

 

I looked up at my mom. She had her back turned to me, continuing to cook as if she couldn't hear me talking.



"You can come over right now hyung. I was going over my English book. Can you help me?" I asked.



"I'll be there in a few minutes."



A short silence passed.



"I was already on my way. You weren't going to get out of this. You promised to help." he admitted.

 

I laughed loudly.



Is my house becoming JB hyung's apartment now that she accepts them?



"Jackson hyung is coming over so we can study." I said loudly. 



My mom turned to me and clapped her hands in delight.

 

"I'll make more food. Jackson is very bright. He knows many languages. Stay friends with him for long. He will teach you a lot." she said, smiling brightly.



I nodded and smiled at her new change in behavior. She quickly focused back on the food.



I stared at her back for a few moments.



"Noona called?" I finally asked. I've been thinking more and more about it.



"She talked to the both of us after what happened." she quickly replied.



I smiled and nodded, remembering the small incident with my dad clearly. JB hyung let me hug him for comfort that day. A bigger smile appeared on my face at the memory.



That will be a memory I'll always remember, because me and JB hyung still sometimes have the awkward touching moments where we mentally agree to avoid touching each other in any way. 
 


I stared at my mom's back. She didn't ask me to help her cook either. Recently she's been very calm. 



"I'm glad you like them. They teach me a lot." I paused. "A lot of good things." I added. 



She chuckled and suddenly turned to face me. It didn't surprise me when she walked up to me and pulled me into a hug.



I quickly returned it. 


____________________________________________________

Jackson hyung appeared at my house the same way he appears everywhere else.



I opened the door to his loud voice.



"Youngjai~" he squealed, his hands raised high in the air. I laughed as I was pulled into a quick hug.

 

"Mom!" he yelled and ran past me to hug my mom.



I continued laughing before closing the door and following them to the kitchen. 



We ate first, Jackson hyung and my mom getting along so well that they kept talking about something I didn't understand, so I ate in silence.

 

After we finished she told us to go straight into my room to study.



"I'm so tired lately Youngjae. I can't wait for the break."



Jackson fell on my bed as soon as we walked inside my room. I chuckled and nodded, sitting down at my desk with the English book I had earlier. 
 


"Let's go over English first." he said.

 

I turned my chair towards him. He was laying down on his side, his hand supporting his head.
 


If it was the old me I would have been annoyed to see him on my bed with his dirty socks, but I've gotten so used to Jackson hyung and the others that it doesn't really bother me anymore.
 


Jackson hyung is wild and a bluff, but he is serious when he needs to be and it's what I really like about him. 



We started going over my English work, quickly stopping midway through.



"That was good. See? You're good at this. Repeat after me." Jackson said.



I nodded.
 


"It's not hard." he said in English. Then he pointed at me and I repeated.

 

Suddenly he lifted himself up and clapped, laughing hard.



He's making fun of me again. At least he's teaching me while making fun of me though.



"This is not hard." Jackson said.



I repeated after him. 



"That's good!" he raised his hand up for a high five. I laughed when our hands connected. 



"Studying too much is bad."



"Studying too much is bad." I repeated in English.

 

"What does that mean?" I asked. 
 


Jackson explained to me and I nodded in understanding, writing it down in the journal BamBam got me.



"You use that?" Jackson asked.



I nodded and lifted the book up.

 

"I've just been using it to remember new English words." I said smiling.



He suddenly took the book from me and started looking inside, flipping the pages slowly. I felt my face heat up in embarrassment.



It's not that I have any secrets written in the book, but when it comes to English I get embarrassed since I'm not really good at it.
 


"You write the words I say?" he asked.



"I make sure to remember them and try to write them down. It helps me." I replied.



"Your pen."
 


I handed Jackson my pen and he went over every page, writing something down.



"What are you doing?" I asked after a few moments of silence passed. 



Finally he handed me back both the journal and pen.

 

"I corrected some for you." he said. 



I quickly looked through the book and smiled. He even added a few new words.



"I already know how to say I love you and I hate you in English hyung. Why do you need to write it down?" I asked chuckling. 



"They're useful words." he replied smiling wide. Then he suddenly winked and I couldn't help but to laugh.

 


Is he planning something again? 



"Let's start on my work now."
 


I nodded, putting my stuff away and watching as Jackson lifted his bag and dropped it on my desk. I stared up at him before going out out of the room to find another chair
 


"What is it we're going over?" I asked him, looking over his shoulder.



Jackson showed me the material and we got through half of it before he decided he was finished studying. I chuckled, watching him as he lifted himself up and fell on my bed once again.



A moment of silence passed. Unusually, Jackson and I have become a bit more close than before. From the beginning he was really close with BamBam and Yugyeom, but he slowly started approaching me more and now I feel really comfortable around him. 



He's a bit touchy but I think that's one of his habits.



The silence continued so I decided to write down a few notes for him to remember in case he tested on the material we went over.
 


I finished just when Jackson seated himself once again next to me.



"Yongjai~" he squealed my name. I always know that he either wants something, or is planning to lie or joke around when he squeals out my name in Chinese. It's something I've started to notice.



"What is it hyung?" I asked him. 



"Mm?" he suddenly stuck unbelievably close to me, his hand going around my waist and pulling me close. 



"You say we always play jokes on you right?" he asked.



He really is planning something unnecessary. Why is this hyung so touchy? 



"Yeah." I replied him, a bit curious.



"Do you want to plan a joke?" 



"Huh?" I stared at him confused. "What do you mean?"



"On leader." he said, lightly tapping my shoulder with his other hand. 



"JB hyung?" I said quickly smiling.



"The leader himself." Jackson replied.



I broke out in small chuckles. It suddenly sounded nice. JB hyung doesn't bully me as much as before, but they still all plan jokes on me and instead of protecting me, he always just laughs.



JB hyung is called leader by Jackson for a reason right? We're all a little scared of him, even though his personality is nothing like how he looks.



I wonder what kind of reaction he will have to a joke. Would he be mad? 



I stared at Jackson.

 

"I like it." I said smiling wide.



He smirked and raised his hand up. We high fived and he began telling me the plan as if he's been planning it for weeks.



Apparently there's a girl in their school that he thinks JB hyung likes. It bothered me that I didn't know about it, but of course he would never tell me something like that. He'll probably never tell me if he ever breaks up with someone again. 
 


"But what do I have to do?" I asked Jackson, after he went into detail on his plan to try to see if JB hyung gets embarrassed.



I think I've seen all sides of JB hyung, but I've never seen an embarrassed JB hyung.



"Simple." Jackson hyung pulled me closer and whispered in my ear. "It's his birthday soon. I think he gets embarrassed around her. Remember that time?" he pulled up his sleeves and showed me his biceps. 



I quickly remembered the time JB hyung lost to Jackson in arm wrestling. I actually think he let Jackson hyung win, but Jackson hyung talks about it frequently as if he won himself, and JB hyung doesn't do anything but smile and allow him to brag.
 


JB hyung has really changed in a way. Somehow I imagined him to be the type of competitive person that wouldn't allow it to happen no matter what, but every time Jackson or any of us want to arm wrestle or do some physical activity, he always lets us win. 



I can tell that he doesn't use his full strength around us. He also doesn't show his irritation as much anymore. I've been around him long enough to be able to tell now. 



It's like he's taking the name 'leader' that Jackson hyung calls him, really seriously. 



"You want to arm wrestle with him again?" I asked, after I realized I was staring at nothing in silence. 



"Yeah. Is that too harsh?" Jackson asked.



I smirked.

 

I never thought Jackson hyung would ask if something is too harsh when it comes to joking around, but he doesn't have a serious side for nothing.



I suddenly really wanted to know what kind of face JB hyung has when he's embarrassed. 



Does it change at all?



"Let's do it." I finally answered.



I suddenly couldn't wait to visit their university for a second time, but I wondered who the new girl was for JB hyung, and why he hasn't mentioned her at all. 



He's changed a little, but he still refuses to give in to letting BamBam, Yugyeom and I know any of his problems, and it still really bothers me.


____________________________________________________

A few weeks later and I got the message from Jackson hyung to come to his school with Yugyeom and BamBam. I knew the plan was in action after I received a wink face message moments later.



Jackson hyung came and got us from the front of the building and we met the rest of their friends crowded around a table outside. 



I immediately noticed the girl. She stood next to JB hyung, talking to him about something.

 

They laughed together.
 


She's pretty.



Jackson hyung started the plan as soon as we were practically forced to introduce ourselves to the girls. 



He winked at me and soon asked JB hyung for a round of arm wrestling. We all did it, the girls even played against each other. 



When it finally came to Jackson and JB hyung's turn, there suddenly seemed to be tension. 



Jackson winked at me once again and I smiled, wanting to laugh. 



I caught eyes with JB hyung quickly. Somehow I could tell that he sensed it. He smirked just before he pulled Jackson's arm and it hit the table.



The girls instantly squealed. Half of them cheered on JB while the other half tried comforting Jackson.

 

My eyes went wide. 



I can't forget that JB hyung is a little scary when he does get competitive. 



I watched as Jackson started rubbing his hand and JB hyung comforted him while laughing. He saw right through the plan instantly. I could tell. 



The girl stood with her group of friends, still laughing as Jackson hyung started overreacting. I couldn't help but stare at her.



She's honestly really pretty. I think JB hyung likes pretty girls. 
 


"Youngjae."



I suddenly felt a nudge on the side. I could already tell JB hyung was catching up to our joke when Jackson hyung pulled up close to me.



"We need a new plan." he whispered in my ear.



"What?" I whispered back.
 


"Act cute." he replied.



"Huh?" I pulled away from him, my eyes going slightly wide. 



Jackson nodded.



"But I can't be cute. What should I do?" I mumbled.



It's suddenly becoming an embarrassment for me too. Why are we even continuing this? It didn't work.



Jackson hyung just kept pulling me closer and closer towards him, his arm going around my waist as he whispered something.



I pulled back at what he whispered for me to say.



"Why me?"



"Why you what? What are you two doing?" 



I lifted my head and caught eyes with JB hyung. He had his arms crossed. Everyone else was staring at me and I looked towards Jackson hyung who winked. 



"Youngjae feels bad that he couldn't help you study for the test so he wants to make it up to you." Jackson said.



"Hyung." I mumbled. 



What's with this suddenly? 



"That's right. Youngjae's cuteness will work won't it?" Jr hyung suddenly joined in.



My eyes went wide as I looked at him. He smiled wide as if he and Jackson also planned something I didn't know about. They probably did.



"That will be okay won't it hyung?" Jr said again and I turned towards JB hyung. He looked uncomfortable for only a few seconds but I caught it. 



"Let's see." he said.



Our eyes caught. The game started. 
 


Jackson hyung nudged me on the side and winked again.



I slowly walked up to JB hyung, my hand landing on his shoulder. He stared at me hard, an odd look now on his face.



I can do this. Why am I so nervous? It's not like he's going to hit me. JB hyung would never hit me seriously. At least I don't think so. Unless he's mad. Why do you look so mad huh? Why are you staring at me so hard? It's just a joke. You do it to me all the tim-



"Youngjae."



I snapped from my thoughts at Jackson hyung's voice as he started counting down in English.



"3, 2, 1!"



I clenched my hold on JB hyung's shoulder.



I can do this. 



"JB oppa! I'm sorry!" I yelled in an strange voice that I considered cute. At least I hoped they considered it cute too. I'm really not good with cute.



They went crazy after, even Jackson hyung, the one who made me do it. I glared at him laughing loudly. 



I really need to stop being so gullible. 



JB hyung smirked. It looked like a smile but I knew he was smirking. I caught it before it disappeared. He quickly replaced the smirk with an expressionless face.



"Hey. What are you doing right now?" he asked.



"Jackson hyung asked me to do it." I quickly said, nervously chuckling. My hands immediately crossed across my chest in defense. 
 


I could hear the girls laughing loudly, clapping their hands in delight. I didn't know they were still standing around. I was busy playing the staring game with JB hyung that I just embarrassed myself in front of all of them.

 

"Leader can get embarrassed too!" Jackson hyung yelled. "He has a weak side for us. He has a weak side for Youngjae's cuteness." he continued yelling.



JB hyung pointed at Jackson and began quickly walking towards him when Jr hyung held him back quickly, still laughing loudly.



I began laughing with them too as JB hyung managed to pull away and run towards Jackson. We watched in amusement as he pulled Jackson into a neck hold.



It wasn't such a bad day after that moment of embarrassment. I learned something new.



JB hyung didn't pay attention to the girl even once. He didn't even seem like he really talked to her at all. 



Did Jackson hyung plan it all for nothing? 


____________________________________________________

Classes continued passing by and all I could focus on was studying. By the time I knew it I couldn't even stay awake in my night classes.

 

Me, Yugyeom, BamBam decided to leave early for our night class one day.



"Youngjae!" 



"Hyung!"
 


I stopped walking and turned around to face them, unable to even keep myself up. They looked like they were calling me for a long time. 



"We just got a call from the hyung at the dance studio. We're going to the studio." Yugyeom quickly said.



I thought you two were tired too. Isn't that why we left early?
 


"I'm tired." I admitted to them. "I have to go over some things since we left early." 



"You already look like you've done plenty of work hyung. Don't overwork yourself. Come to the studio with us." BamBam said.



"But I can't dance. I'm not going to go embarrass myself. I won't go until you teach me first." I said. "When are you going to teach me anyway?" I asked.



"Hyung! You just need to ask. This weekend we'll teach you. We have to go today. We're already late." they were already walking away as BamBam made promises I didn't think he would be able to keep.



"Then go!" I said laughing. "Don't worry about me I'll catch the bus!" I yelled.



They were gone before I could blink.

 

I can't leave them alone.

 

Sometimes I feel like I need to protect BamBam and Yugyeom more, even though they're not all that younger than me. Yugyeom refuses for me to protect him in any way either, but I just can't leave them alone. 



They're so passionate about dancing. I wish I could dance as good as them.



I started making my way to the bus stop when I decided to stop at the small park near the school. A few kids were playing and their moms were standing around gossiping. I found myself a seat on an empty swing and let my bag slide off my shoulders just a little.



I didn't even get a second to relax before my phone went off. It scared me so much that my bag fell completely off my shoulders and on the ground.



"H-Hello?" I stuttered into the phone.
 


"Where are you?"



"JB hyung." I said his name as I quickly lifted myself up at the familiar voice.

 

He always suddenly calls without any warning.



"Are you still in class?" he asked.

 

I glanced at my watch. It read 7. The night classes end around 8. 



It's the first I've even thought of leaving a night class early since a few months ago when I skipped some of the summer classes. 



"Uh..." I paused. "We kind of left early." I admitted.



"You guys skipped night classes?" he asked. 



He sounds surprised.
 


"No. We just left early. I'm just tired. They keep teaching me things I already know hyung." I whined.
 


A short silence passed. 



"You sound tired. BamBam and Yugyeom are with you? Are you walking home now?" he asked.

 

It surprised me. He's never asked so many questions all at once over the phone.

 

I stared at the little kids playing. 



"Youngjae." 



"I am." I quickly replied him. 



"You're home?"



"No. I'm still near the school." I replied.



"You're still walking?" 



"BamBam and Yugyeom went on ahead to the dance studio. I'm going to catch the bus. I just saw a park nearby..." I mumbled.



"I'm coming." JB quickly said.



"Huh...hyung...you don't have to I was just about to leave anyway."



"I'm nearby. Just wait for me." he said.



He didn't give me a chance to reply before he hung up. I put my phone away and sat there, slowly swinging back and forth. The kids soon all left with their moms and it got darker.
 


I was just about to get up and leave when I lifted my head to JB hyung standing in front of me. It was dark but I could tell it was him. He didn't move. I couldn't tell what type of expression he had.



Why does he look so different all of a sudden?



"Hyung.." I said smiling. "Long time no see."
 


Every time I see him now, it like a scene from a drama.
 


I watched as he walked up to me. I thought he was going to sit down on the swing next to me, but instead he walked up behind me and started pushing me. 



I stumbled before holding onto the handles.

 

JB hyung pushed me on the swing in silence for a little while before his voice filled the air.



"I'm going to drop you off." he said.



"Ok. Thanks hyung..." I replied.

 

He didn't say anything again.



"Uh...did something happen?" I finally asked. 



"No." he replied. 



"Ok." I said.



Another short silence passed. He finally stopped pushing me and sat down on the swing next to me. 



"Are you free today?" he asked.



It surprised me, so much that I didn't reply him. 



"Youngjae."



"Huh?"



"I asked if you're free today. I have a few things I don't understand."



"You need my help?" I asked smirking.



A very short silence passed.



"I need your help Youngjae. You're the only one I can understand." 



My whole body froze at his sudden words. A long moment of silence passed before his voice filled the air once again.

 

"Will you?" he asked.



"Tomorrow. Today I won't be allowed." I quickly replied. 



"Tomorrow then. I'll pick you up as soon as soon as you get out of school."



I nodded.



"Now let's go. It's freezing out here." I watched as JB hyung grabbed my bag from the ground. He wouldn't give it back when I tried to take it from him.



He just admitted he needs my help! Does he really have a new girlfriend? Why is he acting so unusually nice? 



"Why are you just staring at me. Let's go."



I snapped from my thoughts and nodded, quickly lifting myself up. With my head lowered I followed him to his car.



He admitted he needs me again. Why am I so happy?


____________________________________________________

JB hyung sat outside my school the moment I stepped out the next day. 



"JB hyung!" BamBam yelled, running to his car. Yugyeom and I quickly ran after him. 



"Hyung! What are you doing here?" BamBam asked.



"Youngjae." JB confidently replied. "You two need a ride?"  



"You're not going to night classes?" Yugyeom asked me.



"No." I replied. "I know everything I need to know. The test is in two weeks and I don't think there's anything else I need to study." I replied.



"Then let's go to the dance studio."



I watched wide eyed as BamBam and Yugyeom slid into JB hyung's car.



I didn't mean for them to follow my lead and skip night classes, but I think we're all tired of going over the same material for tests.



"You getting in?" JB asked.
 


I quickly pulled off my bag and slid into his car. It was my first time the dance studio they've all been going to. 



"It's huge." I said, staring as Yugyeom and BamBam ran inside. 



"There are some really good dance teachers here. I met my b-boy friends here." JB hyung suddenly said.



I turned to look at him, slowly nodding.



"I can't dance." I said.



"Have your tried?" he asked.
 


"So you can laugh at me again?" I replied, remembering the time Jackson forced me to dance and they all ended up laughing at me. 



JB hyung chuckled and I held back my hand from hitting him. 



"So what do we need to go over?" I asked.



"A lot." he replied.



I laughed and nodded.

 

"Then we have to start fast. It will get dark soon and I'll have to go home soon." I said.



He didn't say anything.

 

A long moment of silence passed where I closed my eyes and tried to sleep for a few minutes. 



"Hey." JB hyung's voice suddenly vibrated through the car and I quickly opened my eyes.



"Hm?"



I turned towards him. He looked straight ahead on the road, so I ignored it and slowly turned back towards the window, closing my eyes once again.



Did I imagine his voice? 



"Has anyone ever confessed to you?"



I quickly turned to face him, staring at him for a few moments. It took me a second more than needed to finally look away. 



"Has Jackson hyung been talking to you? I know I'm the only one who's never had a girlfriend before hyung. Stop making fun of me. It will happen when it's the right tim-"



JB hyung started laughing, making me stop talking. I looked back towards the window and closed my eyes.



"I'm not innocent so don't say I am." I found myself suddenly saying.



"I'm not saying you are. You're not completely innocent." he replied.

 

I quickly turned to look at him. He just continued staring straight ahead.



But I am. I've never had a kiss on the cheek. I don't understand what all the talk is about. What does he mean I'm not completely innocent anyway?



The rest of the drive was in silence.

 

We finally made it to JB hyung's apartment, stopping the car and sitting inside for a few moments in silence. 



"How would you like for someone to confess to you?" he suddenly asked.



Are we still talking about this? 



"Huh? Why does it matter? No one has." I admitted a bit shamefully.



Why are we suddenly talking about this? I never thought JB hyung would be so comfortable around me to talk about dating even more than he has. 



A short silence passed. It seemed that he wanted an answer from me.
 


"I've never really thought about anyone saying it so I don't know how someone confesses. I think doing it seriously is most important though." I finally said.
 


He didn't reply.



"Why are you suddenly asking?" I asked.



Did someone ask him out? Does he like someone now. Does he really like that girl? So he's asking me how he should confess to her? I never thought he would. Maybe he is willing to talk to me more now.



He still didn't reply.



"JB hyung?" 



"Yeah?"



"Do you have someone new you like?" I tried asking, hoping he would talk to me about it like how he shared to me his break up details a year ago in the cafe.



But he still didn't reply for a long time. So I turned away from him, thinking he wouldn't answer.



"I think...yeah." he suddenly answered.



I quickly turned to him, slowly smiling.

 

"That's good hyung. You can finally forget about her." I said, excited for him. 



"I already have." he replied.



"Is it the girl from your school?" I asked, a bit hesitant on whether he was going to tell me or not, but I suddenly really wanted him to tell me.



"It's someone..." he paused. "It doesn't matter. I just know...there's this strange feeling." he finished.



I assumed it was the end. He didn't look like he wanted to talk about it any more.
 


"I'm glad." I mumbled, hoping he heard me a little. We started getting out of his car. I didn't get a chance to close the car door when his voice stopped me.



"About what?" he asked.



"Huh?" I stared at him.



"What are you glad about?" he asked this a bit too seriously and it made my heart suddenly start beating so fast. It made me clutch my chest and lower my eyes.



What is this?



Another short moment of silence passed that I needed to calm my heart down, finally looking back at him with a smile.



"That you can be happy again." I replied.



JB hyung closed his door and I followed. He grabbed a few things from the back seat and I tried to get some from him but he wouldn't let me. 



So I just followed him in silence towards the apartment. 
 


He was being so serious, asking strange questions earlier, now he's ignoring me again?



When we made it to his front door he suddenly mumbled the keycode in my ear and I typed it in and opened the door for him. He headed straight to the kitchen and put the things down.



"We're cooking something tonight. I told them I'm studying but Jackson, Jr, and Mark want to come by." he said.



"But I can't cook." I said.



"We're doing it together. You're helping me." he said.



"But you can't cook." I said chuckling.



"Hey."



I ran away from him, laughing as he caught me by the shoulders, but I managed to pull his hand away.



"Your whole face is red." he suddenly said.

 

It just made me laugh harder.
 


JB hyung went into his room to change and I sat down and the TV. He came back a few minutes later with books in his hand.



"Are we cooking now or later? We can wait for Jinyoung." he said.



"Now. I'm hungry." I replied, quickly getting up.



"Hey." 



"Yeah?" 



I turned to face him just as he walked past me.

 

"I'm already happy." he said. 



My eyes went wide and I broke down in small chuckles before happily skipping into the kitchen.



"I'm happy too hyung. I'm glad I met you." I said.



He didn't reply. 
____________________________________________________