Chapter 7

Call Me JB Hyung

Call Me JB Hyung - Chapter 7

____________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't hear from JB hyung for quite a while. The last I saw of him was the night I helped Jackson with his homework.



I started going to Yugyeom's place again. The only place I'm allowed to go. Oddly enough I always end up studying more at Yugyeom's house though. 



BamBam, Yugyeom and I spent a lot of more time together while the older hyung's were probably busy with school. We didn't hear from any of them.



One night BamBam, Yugyeom, and I were lazing around helping each other with homework in Yugyeom's room when BamBam got a call from Jackson hyung asking where we were.



Pretty soon Jackson was sitting in the room, and not hours later Jr and Mark hyung came by. As we thought, they're all busy with school as well. 



"Where's leader?" Jackson suddenly asked as soon as Jr hyung sat down.



I chuckled. Jackson has started calling JB hyung leader. He says it's because we always meet up at JB hyung's apartment, but we haven't done this since school vacation. 



It's something I don't understand, but find funny because at times JB hyung does have leader-like tendencies.



"He called yesterday. His brother has been calling so he decided to go see them finally." Jr replied. 



Finally? Does JB hyung not get along with his family?



I suddenly wondered about JB's relationship with his family that he never talks about. At least he never talks to me about it. Sometimes I feel useless around him actually. I wonder if he can tell. 



Jackson brought his school work with him. We all did. After chatting for a little while longer we somehow transitioned into studying and finishing our school work. 



It's quite funny that whenever we meet at JB hyung's apartment we never do any sort of school work, but we all currently sat in Yugyeom's room completely focused on finishing our homework.



We didn't hear the knock on the door until Yugyeom's younger sister tapped on it a second time and called for Yugyeom. 



"Come in." Yugyeom mumbled. He looked busy trying to figure out some notes he wrote. 



Jackson hyung suddenly got up with a wide smirk on his face when she opened the door, telling Yugyeom that she's home and that she'll be going back out.



She had two other friends with her and of course Jackson hyung quickly invited them in.



I mentally laughed and glanced at Yugyeom. He doesn't like it when his younger sister comes into his room. His sister doesn't like it when he comes into her room either. It's because when they lived in a small apartment before, they had to share a room. 



I haven't understood why he doesn't like being around his sister so much. Sometimes I wish I had someone around my age that lives in my house. 



I guess this is why I'm so attached to JB hyung.



The girls soon left and I helped Jackson hyung finish the rest of his work. The others played games. We joined in quickly after finishing the work. They were playing some type of have you ever game. 



I should have known they would ask embarrassing things. This game always leads to stuff like this.



It turns out that only Yugyeom and I are the only ones that haven't kissed anyone before. Not even a kiss on the cheek. I can't believe even BamBam has had a kiss on the cheek, and it wasn't from his mom. It embarrassed me to even think about it. 



There's something about boys my age and wanting to kiss girls. I've just never really thought about it so much. The thought of kissing someone actually doesn't sound very fun to me. If I were to ever kiss someone it would be someone I really like. 



I don't think I'll ever let someone kiss me if I didn't like them back either. Maybe this is why I have never had a kiss before.



Jackson hyung wanted to continue playing the game after they found out about Yugyeom and I. I made sure to mentally note that it will be his new favorite game. 



We continued, finding out that I'm the only one that hasn't had a girlfriend before too. It's not fair since they counted innocent kindergarten relationships for BamBam and Yugyeom. They were 5. I don't consider that a relationship.



"Don't get embarrassed Youngjae. It's natural." Jackson tried to console me with a smirk.



This bluffer.



"I can teach you kissing." Mark suddenly said. They all started laughing, playfully patting my shoulder.



I side eyed Mark. This hyung really acts so innocent and quiet all the time but he's not what he seems. Mark hyung is really the definition of the phrase do not judge a book by it's cover. Both him and JB hyung.



It's a bit shocking when they show you their true personalities. 



I excused myself from the game to go use the bathroom, using this as a reason to really go cool myself down. These hyung's always want to play really embarrassing games. 



When I came back they were still playing. I didn't get a chance to sit before my phone started ringing. 



"Youngjae. Your phone." Yugyeom handed me my phone and I quickly picked up when I saw my mom's number. 



"Mom?"



"Youngjae. Where are you right now?"



My fist tightened, hoping she wasn't going to drag me from Yugyeom's house all of a sudden.



"Yugyeom's house." I replied her.



"Someone is here for you. I've never seen him before. Does he go to your school?" she quickly asked me. "He says his name is Im Jaebum. I invited him in to dry himself off. It's raining but he didn't have an umbrella." 



I froze at the name of the person looking for me, quickly getting up. The guys quickly looked up at me. 



"JB hyung's at my place." I said grabbing my bag. 



"What the hell is he doing there? I thought he was visiting his family." Jackson hyung asked.



I shrugged and turned towards Jr hyung. He usually has the answers. If JB hyung doesn't tell us, he always tells Jr hyung. Sometimes I find myself getting jealous. Only sometimes. JB hyung isn't mine after all...



"I don't know either. I haven't talked to him since yesterday." Jr hyung said. He shrugged. "Go find out." 



"Yeah. You better go find out. You know how your mom gets." Mark suddenly said. I nodded and quickly left.

 

I pulled the phone back onto my ear. "I'm coming mom." I quickly said, grabbing my jacket and waving to the guys.

 

"Be careful of the rain. From the look of your friend's clothes it looks like it's raining hard." she said.

 

"Ok. I'm coming now. Bye." I hung up the phone and quickly ran out of Yugyeom's house.



She was right, the rain poured heavily and didn't look like it was going to stop anytime soon. I wondered when it started. I didn't hear it at all.



I didn't go back to ask Yugyeom for an umbrella so I didn't get home dry.

____________________________________________________________________________________


My mom met me with a towel when I opened the door. I quickly took it from her and followed her to where JB hyung sat, on the couch facing the TV. He looked completely soaked, like he took a shower with his clothes on.

 

"Hyung."



I felt my mom's eyes on me as she realized exactly who was sitting on the couch. One of the college boys she forbid me from continuing to see. 



JB hyung got up and walked towards me. I quickly grabbed his hand, pulling him into my room before going back out to calm my mom down. She at least allowed me to talk to him, and even allowed him to stay and eat.



The door closed behind me a little too loudly when I returned to my room. JB stood up from his seat on my chair. I rubbed the towel I was given earlier in my hair and sighed, a smile appearing on my face. 



"We're both soaked hyung. I'll get you some clothes." I said. He didn't reply but took the pair of clothes I got him. We both changed, our backs facing each other.



"Everyone's at Yugyeom's. Why didn't you call?" I asked.



"I thought you would be home." JB replied. He didn't look at me directly. He looked like he really had something to say. 



Does it have to do with his trip to visit his family?



"Jr hyung told us you went to see your family." I said taking his towel from him. 



"My brother called a few day ago and wanted me to come there for quite a while." JB replied.



I quickly turned to look at him, it's the first he's ever told me anything about his family.



I nodded, smiling as I walked up to him. "My mom says you can stay to eat if you want. She made a lot of food and my dad won't be home early today." I said, excited that she was at least trying to get to know JB hyung finally. 



"She's nicer than I thought." 



"I told you. She's just worried about me that's all. So why didn't you call? I never thought you would willingly come here hyung." I said chuckling nervously. 



JB didn't reply. He looked like he was still thinking about whatever he wanted to say. 



"Do you need help with your homework too? I helped Jackson hyung earlier with his. The math work is a bit hard but I understand it." I said chuckling. "If this is how university is going to be then I'm ready." 



My chuckles filled the room. JB hyung stood quietly. It took every ounce of courage I had to lift my head and look him directly in the eye when I noticed this. 



"Hyung?"



He replied with his eyes as usual. He seems to think I always understand when he talks with his eyes.



"Is there something wrong?" I asked, unsure of what was going on. 



"I wanted to talk to you about something. You always listen well to my problems." he suddenly said. 



Everything inside me brightened instantly. To have JB hyung admit he has so much trust in me to tell me more of his problems made me smile brightly. I shook my head yes before pushing him back to sit on my bed.
 


I grabbed my desk chair and sat down in front of him.



I don't care why he didn't ask Jr hyung. I only suddenly cared that JB hyung is willing to tell me his problems when I know usually he would never tell me. 
 


I've realized that there is a lot that Jr hyung, Jackson and Mark hyung know about JB hyung that me, BamBam and Yugyeom don't know. Maybe it's because JB hyung has known the older hyung's longer, but it's not fair that he hides everything from us.



Aren't we his friends too?



This hyung has only ever told me about his ex girlfriend. I'm starting to think it's because he was going through a tough time, he still is, even though he won't admit it or talk to me about it anymore.



JB hyung hasn't told me any of his problems ever since our talks in the cafe.



I don't really like it when he treats me like a kid. They all repeat how I don't act like my age, but JB hyung still treats me like a child.



"You can tell me anything hyung." I said, patting him on the shoulder with a wide smile on my face.



JB stared at my hand on his shoulder and I pulled it away quickly, nervously laughing. "W-wait a minute. Don't hit me hyung." I said, quickly crossing my arms over my chest in defense. It's a habit.



JB started laughing and I relaxed, slowly chuckling with him.



"You're eager." he finally said smirking.



I nodded quickly. "It's just...." I paused and looked him in the eye. I try not to get so deep with him. It becomes awkward. Honestly sometimes JB hyung and I are awkward. There are times when he will randomly hold my hand, but then there are many more times when we can't even look at each other. 



I don't know what it is. 



"...I'm happy that you're finally trusting me with some of your other problems again. Ever since you told me about your ex...you haven't told me anything else..." I paused again "...sometimes I feel like I know nothing about you hyung, that we aren't friends." 

 

"This is how you feel?" he asked.

 

I nodded quickly.



"But are we friends?" JB suddenly asked. He looked serious.



I pulled back, feeling my ears get hot from embarrassment. "Well I-"



My door suddenly opened and I stood up, turning to see my mom walk in with a tray. "The food is done. Hurry up and come eat." she said.



She put down a tray with two bottles of water. 



"We'll be right out." I said smiling and thanking her with a hug. She nodded and I caught her staring at JB hyung before walking out, leaving the door open.



I sighed, giggling a little.

 

"That scared me." I said. 



A short silence passed. I sat back down and sighed, peeking at JB hyung who just continued staring at me. 



What exactly is he thinking? 



"I know you don't like this serious stuff but I want you to know that even though you're my hyung...I think of you as my friend as well." I finally admitted, playing with my hands in nervousness. It could either go two ways. JB hyung ignores it or rejects it.  



I would rather he ignores it. It would make me feel better to know that he at least heard me say it and ignored it, then to completely reject it. I want to be closer to JB hyung. I just don't know whether he wants to be as close to me as I want to with him.



"Youngjae?" 



My heart skipped a beat as I lifted my head to look at him. JB hyung rarely ever says my name, but when he does he always sounds so serious. I couldn't read his expression but he wasn't smiling. 
 


"I'm thinking of quitting school...or at least to hold it off for now...I found a really good job that I like and I think I will do better in that for now. The pay is really good and it makes me happy. I went to see my family to tell them this and they threatened me." 
 


He smirked and shook his head before once again looking me in the eye. I lowered my head and stared at his shoes.
 


"I'm planning to finish this year of school and ask for a leave. I'm not quitting school forever. One day I will go back, but for now I think working is better for me." he finished.
 


I listened to him, nodding continuously until I realized that his words stopped and his voice disappeared. When I looked up JB hyung was staring at his shoes too. He looked troubled.
 


It's the first since a long time that I've seen JB hyung look so...lost. 
 


"What is the job?" I asked, hoping he didn't mind that I was asking. A small smile quickly replaced his frown.
 


"You know I do b-boy? But I also like dancing a lot. I've been offered a job as a dance trainer and back up dancer for a company. There's a contract so it's not like they'll suddenly let me go."
 


A smile slowly crept up onto my face at how JB hyung looked so happy talking about the job. I nodded, watching him talk in detail about it. I at least know that dancing, or b-boy, is something that JB really enjoys doing. It's something that makes him happy. It's the same for Yugyeom, as I've recently found out.
 


The problem is, should he fulfill his wishes or do what his family wants?
 


This is what JB hyung was currently asking me. 
 


He wants me to choose for him? Maybe he wants me to suggest something. I can't choose. How about if I make the wrong choice for him? It will be my fault. Is he even asking me to choose? 
 


"Youngjae?"
 


I snapped from my thoughts as my heart once again skipped a beat.

 

Why does he keep saying my name?
 


"JB hyung?" I replied.
 


"I don't know what to do. I don't even know why I'm telling you this." he said looking away. I could suddenly understand him. He was embarrassed. JB hyung doesn't want to admit that he can't choose on his own. But one question still lingered in my mind.
 


"But why didn't you tell Jr hyung then? Why did you come here?" I asked.
 


"To be honest I don't know." JB replied. "I was driving and I suddenly found myself here. The next thing I knew I was sitting inside and your mom was on the phone with you. I suddenly remembered the first time I talked to you."
 


I smiled, nodding slowly. "How about we go eat first hyung? My mom is a great cook! Better than me." I said chuckling.
 


JB hyung cheered up instantly at the mention of food. He stood up and I laughed, walking out of my room with him following me. He first greeted my mom and I introduced them.
 


"Jaebum? Im Jaebum. Well nice to meet you. But don't think that because I'm letting you eat that I have accepted you around Youngaje. I want my son to study hard and get into a good college. Look at those earrings you have in your ears. What are you? From a gang? University students like you now a days are a bad exa-"
 


"Mom-"
 


"I promise I'm not like those students mom. I'll never let Youngaje get distracted or get in any trouble. I'll always make sure he's done his work. I want him to hurry and become a university student too." JB quickly said.
 


I glanced at him, wondering where he was going with all his sweet talk. But it made my mom calm down so I didn't question it.
 


The three of us sat and ate in silence. My mom didn't ask anymore questions, but she didn't stop glancing towards JB. Most likely at his earrings. At least JB hyung didn't have as much on as he usually does.
 


JB managed to make my mom agree to him washing the dishes for her after we finished eating. He didn't even pull me to help him. My mom and I stood watching him, both really surprised.
 


"How old is he?" she asked.
 


"21." I replied. "His birthday is coming soon." I added. 
 


"We couldn't celebrate your birthday this year." she suddenly replied. 
 


I turned to her and she frowned and pulled me into a hug. "I will throw you a big party when you finish school." she mumbled. "It's okay. I just want to go out and eat. I don't need a party." I replied hugging her back.
 


We hugged for a few more seconds, hearing the sink water run for a while. I didn't tell anyone about my birthday actually. When Yugyeom tried to mention it, I told him not to. I think JB hyung forgot as well. Honestly I would have forgotten his birthday if the hyung's didn't keep mentioning it. We all have school to focus on right now, so there's no time.
 


I'm just glad that I silently turned 18. All my wishes have been granted already I guess. I have met new friends that don't consider me a shadow.
 


I pulled away from my mom when the sink water stopped running.
 


"He's very mature. I haven't met one like him until now." she complimented JB hyung and I smiled. 
 


When he wants to be. 
 


When JB finished the dishes, he and I went back into my room.
 


He took over my bed instantly and I didn't complain, just taking a seat in my chair. A long silence passed. JB hyung didn't bring up his problem again so I didn't know whether I should bring it up for him.
 


"What should I do?" his voice suddenly filled the room and I looked at him. He was laying on his back, his hands folded under his head. I watched him staring at the ceiling. 
 


"What do you want to do hyung?" I asked.

 

"You know what I want to do." JB replied.

 

"But should I do it? Should I risk it all?" he asked.
 


"What are you risking?" I asked him.
 


JB turned to look at me. We caught eyes and stared at each other for who knows how long.
 


"If I choose this I won't be around as much. I'll be busy. I won't have school but I'll have to be at the company. I'll risk my relationship with everyone." he said.
 


"But it's what you want to do. If everyone can't handle it then they don't really care about you." I said looking away from him.
 


A moment of silence passed.
 


"But you should tell the other guys. You should have told all of us together." I quickly said.
 


"I will." he replied. The silence continued.
 


"Youngjae?" 



My door opened and my mom walked in, her arms crossed. "It's still raining and it's very late. You have school." she said.
 


"Jaebum hyung can stay?" I asked.
 


She glanced at JB, stared at him for only a few seconds that she needed to examine him before nodding.
 


"He doesn't seem like a bad person. He's not smoking or anything so I'll accept his words. It's late and you know I don't like late night driving. He should stay. Let him go take a shower."
 


JB hyung quickly got up, thanking my mom. Seeing him being so polite is something always new. Besides Mark hyung, JB is older than us and usually we're the ones showing him respect. 
 


My mom left and I got up, grabbing a towel for JB. He showered first. I went after him, handing him some new clothes and taking some with me into the bathroom. 
 


When I finally returned to my room JB was laying on my bed, playing on his phone. 
 


"Are you sure you should be leaving Nora alone?" I asked.
 


"I left Nora with my brother's girlfriend since you're allergic to cats."  
 


I turned to him shocked. JB lifted himself up from the bed and looked at me questionably.
 


"How did you find out?" I asked.
 


"Jr told me. He said he noticed you sneezing a lot and it's always around Nora. Why didn't you tell me you're allergic?" JB asked.
 


"I thought I could handle it. Sorry hyung." I apologized.
 


"Is that why you stopped coming around lately?"
 


What is this? You suddenly sound so concerned. So you noticed I haven't been going to your apartment hyung?
 


"I also have a lot of school work." I quickly said, turning off the lights and heading for the bed. I managed to climb over JB hyung and take my spot next to the wall.
 


We both laid there in silence. I stared at the ceiling. The room gets so dark because I keep my windows covered. 
 


"I've been so frustrated."
 


JB broke the silence. I side eyed him for a second and turned my eyes back to the dark ceiling.
 


"Because of the job?" I asked.
 


"Because of so many other things. Jr keeps saying some things that have been stuck in my mind." JB said. 
 


"Like what?"
 


A long silence passed. JB hyung didn't reply. I figured. He already told me one of his secrets. I shouldn't be expecting him to tell me everything just yet. 
 


Why do I even want to know everything about him so much?
 


I turned around to face the wall. "Good night hyun-"
 


"Comfort me." 
 


I froze, turning around to face him and lifting myself up onto my elbow. JB still stared at the wall, his hands still folded under his head. It was hard to see his facial expression though.
 


I laughed nervously. "What?" I asked.
 


JB didn't repeat. He didn't need to. I heard what he said. I just wanted to make sure he said what he wanted to say.
 


Comfort you?
 


I continued laughing nervously.

 

"Why suddenly..." I paused. A long silence proceeded and I sighed and laid back down, my back facing him once again. It didn't take long for JB hyung to suddenly take hold of my hand.
 


This doesn't shock me anymore. He sometimes does this when we're alone and the atmosphere around us becomes serious. It may be his way to deal with his problems. I've stopped thinking it's unusual. 
 


"It's going to be okay hyung." I said squeezing his hand lightly. He squeezed mine back.
 


Is this the comfort you want? Childish.
 


I wanted to laugh but I kept it in. 
 


"Everything's going to get better. Once you know it you won't even think about your old problems anymore. Fighting. It's going to be oka-"

"I think I like you Youngjae."



I stopped talking, JB hyung's words lingered in the air and I nudged him with my elbow, chuckling at his sudden confession. 
 


Just because I comforted you?



"I think you're sleepy hyung. Go to sleep." I said pulling my hand from his to pat his arm.
 


I expected him to fall asleep after that but JB hyung is a very stubborn guy when he wants to be.
 


He chuckled. "Jinyoung said that I should try saying this." 



I wondered what he was talking about. Another short silence passed between us. I thought he was finished.
 


"I...like you." he said again.



I laughed loudly this time. "Okay hyung... I like you too remember? I asked if we can be friends. You're the one that won't admit it that's why Jr hyung had to tell you. Did you drink something I didn't see hyung? Why are you saying it like this?" I chuckled nervously trying to calm myself down. 



The first time he said it, it didn't sound odd. But right now when JB hyung repeated that he likes me...it sounded a bit odd. But I know deep inside JB likes being around me too. It only takes the sun to drop and for us to be alone for him to admit any of it.
 


He always lets his guard down before he goes to sleep. As if his bad boy image can't be held when he's about to sleep. He touches me more than usual too, and he usually never does.
 


JB hyung usually avoids touching me, unless he has to. Like when he grabs me into a neck hold when I make fun of him. He does it to us all I think. Because of this I'm a bit hesitant to touch him at times too. But when we sleep together sometimes it's like he finally lets his guard down. It's like we both let our guard down.
 


I hate to admit it but I like night time JB hyung. He grabs my hand, or says something he would usually never say. Like right now admitting he actually likes me as a friend. 
 


When I finally calmed myself down from laughing it became quiet. I sighed and shook my head, letting my eyes finally close.
 


JB hyung didn't say a word after this. 
 


This hyung...

____________________________________________________________________________________


When I woke up the next morning JB hyung was gone. My mom told me that he left early, and after my shower I found the note he left me.
 


He's so quick with his words. It didn't say much at all. 
 


Woke up early. I have class.
 


I smirked at his short note. It looked like he was still sleeping when he wrote it. I wondered why he even left me a note. Unusual of JB hyung once again.
 


"You ready to go?"
 


My mom stood at my door, her purse clutched tightly in her hands. 
 


I nodded and quickly grabbed my bag, following her to the door. We put our shoes on and left to go pick up Yugyeom and BamBam.
 


As usual, students groaned and grumbled as they made their way into the school. Another day at a high school.
 


It's always like this, though this time everyone was busy talking about Christmas. This unusual season for couples was once again making its way around.
 


Chuseok hasn't even come by yet everyone is already busy making plans for winter break and Christmas. Even Yugyeom and BamBam probably have something to do with their families. 
 


I bet the hyungs have a lot to do. My mom and I usually go to Mokpo to celebrate Chuseok. For Christmas I end up spending it with Yugyeom. It happens like this every year.
 


I sighed, going through the day thinking about what day was on its way again already. It at least helped the school day pass by quickly.
 


"Youngjae! Hyung!" 
 


I turned around, pulling back as Yugyeom and BamBam ran towards me. I quickly closed my eyes and felt them almost topple me over.
 


"Where are you going? You just going to leave us hyung?" BamBam asked. 
 


I laughed and shook my head. BamBam is so cute. He always calls me hyung unlike some other one. I side eyed Yugyeom who hit me on the shoulder instantly.
 


"Hey!" I yelled.
 


"You're thinking bad thoughts about me." Yugyeom said.
 


I laughed loudly, running after him as he started walking away. "Gyeomiee..." I tugged on Yugyeom's uniform. "Don't be mad at hyung." I whined at him.
 


"Don't be mad at Youngjae hyung." BamBam repeated. We both unconsciously laughed and Yugyeom started running. We quickly ran after him. 
 


By the time we made it to Yugyeom's house I felt like my uniform was dripping in sweat. 
 


I grabbed a towel as soon as we stepped in Yugyeom's room, first wiping at Yugyeom and BamBam's foreheads and then continuing with mine.
 


"Why did you make us run?" BamBam whined.
 


I fell on the floor and stretched out my arms and legs. BamBam followed and soon Yugyeom was on the floor too. Our heavy breathing filled the room for quite a while.
 


"I don't think I can stay for long." I said, catching the dark sky from Yugyeom's window. The three of us had to stay a little later than usual in school.



"I'm tired of studying and studying." BamBam said.
 


"I'm tired of studying." I repeated.
 


"Let's stop studying and form a band." Yugyeom said.
 


I laughed loudly and got up. "I would have to get kicked out before that happens. My parents will just come and drag me back to school." I said.
 


The two got up too and nodded. 
 


"This is really our lives." BamBam said. 
 


"Chuseok and break are coming soon though!" Yugyeom yelled excitedly. "I can spend more time at the studio."
 


I shook my head and smiled. I'm really glad Yugyeom has found something he enjoys doing. I can't always stay glued to him. I need to find something to do as well.
 


I thought of dancing too, but since my body doesn't match with my brain when it comes to dancing, I give up. 
 


Yugyeom suddenly started showing BamBam some move and I sighed and laid back, secretly filming them on my phone.
 


These dancing maniacs.
 


"What's Chuseok?" BamBam asked after a while of Yugyeom teaching him dance moves. He turned to me.
 


Yugyeom and I stared at him wide eyed. BamBam looked shocked, then he started chuckling. "Should I know?" he asked shrugging.
 


That's right. BamBam hasn't been here for long has he? 
 


I sat and watched as Yugyeom explained not only Chuseok, but all our school breaks to BamBam. 
 


"Oh. We've never celebrated it before. I only live here with my mother's friend and she's from Thailand. After they saw that I can stay here by myself they let me live with her. We usually go back to Thailand during breaks." BamBam said laughing. 
 


"This Thai Prince." I mumbled.
 


BamBam started laughing loudly and denying it. 
 


I laughed with him.

 

"I've never been out of Korea. I want to go to Africa someday to do some volunteer work." I said.
 


They looked at me with wide eyes. "What? Did I say something weird?" I asked.
 


"It's just...you never say these things so we never know." Yugyeom said.

 

"I've never told you this?" I asked him. He shook his head and I laughed.

 

"I guess the chance never came up. But now I'm surrounded with people from all around the world." I said smiling.
 


BamBam patted me on the shoulder. "Don't worry hyung. I'll take you to Thailand soon." he said, a grin on his face.



I chuckled and nodded. 



We lazed around and played a few games before I left. This time the hyungs didn't suddenly come over.

____________________________________________________________________________________


By the time Chuseok came around, everyone was busy. Even BamBam who didn't even know what Chuseok was before.
 


The day before the break I had to hurry home upon my mothers wishes. We needed to prepare for the 4 hour trip to my older sisters in Mokpo. She also had to cook, and who else to help her but me.
 


As soon as I got home she handed me an apron and unfortunately I was stuck in the kitchen for the rest of the day. I knew it was weird when she told me to leave school early. 
 


I was given a break around the usual time I come home from school, and tiredly walked into my room, falling on my bed.
 


My phone rang loudly seconds later. Whining I picked it up, not looking at who was calling.
 


"Hello?"
 


"Hey."
 


It's unsual for JB hyung to just call. I mean, he calls more now then before, but usually its for something specific. Lately he only sends texts, which as well is unsual. He's suddenly become very cummunicative ever since he told me about his problem.
 


It took another greeting from him for me to reply.
 


"Hyu...hyung...?" 
 


"Are you at home?" JB hyung asked. He asked this calmly. This is something he never usually does either. He usually just comes over without warning.
 


"Yeah. I was told to come home early today to help cook. We're driving 4 hours to Mokpo for Chuseok tomorrow." I said. 
 


A short silence passed. "So you won't be home?" he asked.
 


"I'll be gone for three days, maybe four. Why?" I asked.
 


"Jackson says your good with some of this stuff? I need to work extra hard to pass." he said.
 


I wanted to laugh. It's always so funny when he tries not to directly say he needs help from me.
 


"Won't you be with your family for Chuseok too? I can help during winter vacation if I get permission to skip break studying courses." I said.
 


"I won't be going there for Chuseok. I've already been a few times and since they don't understand what I want to do, I don't want to be a bother there. I've already called my family and asked not to be present."
 


He's telling me so much.
 


"Will you have food hyung? Will you be okay?" I asked a bit worried.
 


"I was capable before I met you." he whined.

 

"Not that." I said shaking my head. "...won't you be lonely?" I asked.
 


"I'm fine." JB hyung replied.



"Wait a minute."



I didn't wait for him to reply before getting up and walking into the kitchen.



"You ready to help again. We're almost done. You see what being your mother is all about now?" My mom laughed.



"Mom?"
 


She stopped and turned to me, her eyes landing on my phone before turning back to the food quickly. "What is it that's made you so serious suddenly?" she asked.



"JB hyung doesn't have a place to go for Chuseok." I said.



She turned around to me. "JB?" she said confused.



"Ah..." I shook my head. "Jaebum hyung." I said.



She looked at me for a while. "He doesn't have family?" she asked.



She suddenly looked concerned. I shook my head quickly. "He does. But they don't live with him and right now because of certain situations he can't go to them. He won't have anyone to be with. He also wants me to help him with his studies." I said.



My mom stared at me for a bit before nodding. I knew hearing the word study would get her.



"Tell him to get here soon and bring enough clothes for 4 days. We'll be there for an extra day. Tell him not to forget his hanbok. We'll be leaving early tomorrow morning." she said.



I quickly hugged her and ran back to my room excited. Not only that I'll have someone to talk to, but that someone is JB hyung.



"Hyung did you hear that?" I put the phone back on my ear excitedly.



"What? What is it?" JB asked.



"Pack your bags for 4 days and come over."



"Eh? Why?" 



"My mom agreed. You can come with us and celebrate with me and my family. I can start helping you with your work too." I said excitedly.



A short silence passed.



"Is that okay?" JB asked.



"I asked. She's fine with it. Get here now hyung." I almost yelled. "Don't forget your stuff!" 



"Hey."



I laughed quickly and apologized for yelling at him. 



Soon enough I was back in the kitchen helping my mom. JB hyung came quickly with his things and ended up being dragged into the kitchen to help too.



"If you're going to be here hyung you might as well help with all this food." I laughed. 



"Jaebum come get a handle of this." My mom instantly directed him to some pot of soup. I'm glad, because it means she really is getting used to seeing JB hyung if she's comfortable bossing him around the kitchen.



We worked on food for the rest of the evening.

____________________________________________________________________________________


My mom woke us up early, well, woke me up early. I was surprised to hear her saying that JB hyung was already in the shower.



I quickly got up, and rushed into the bathroom as soon as JB opened my door.



I finished quickly so I could help them put all the food in the car. My mom cooks a lot. It's not that we have a big family, but she thinks if she doesn't then there won't be enough food.



Every year there's a lot of extra food left.



We finished loading in all the food and our stuff quickly. By the time I knew it we were in the car, safety buckled in and ready to go. I chose to sit in the back with JB hyung so he wouldn't feel lonely.



I hoped he didn't mind.



"It's going to be 3 to 4 hours, maybe a little bit more. I'll stop by two rest stops. Does anyone need to use the bathroom?"

 

JB hyung shook his head and I assured my mom that we didn't need to use the bathroom. Minutes later we were on our way.



JB fell asleep quickly. I only noticed when his head touched my shoulder and I turned around to see he was deeply asleep.



I tried to get some sleep too, but I didn't want to leave my mom driving alone. JB hyung offered to drive but she denied it. I'm glad she let him come with us. She's at least giving him a chance.

 

I smiled, slowly going over this sleeping hyung's features. The two twin moles caught my sight instantly. It's very rare. I wanted to touch them, but also didnt want to get hit. I continued looking over JB hyung's face, catching his pierced ears and sighing. I Just don't understand his fascination with piercings. I guess he really does have a bad boy image he needs to keep up at all times. 



"Youngjae!"



"Mom."



I quickly snapped from my thoughts in a panic.



"Are you going to let your phone keep ringing? At least turn it off if you won't pick up." she said. I could tell she didn't get enough sleep either, but to be in Mokpo on time we have to leave so early. 



I quickly picked up my phone, glancing at JB hyung as his eyes opened only slightly and he murmured in annoyance before turning to sleep next to the window.



"Hello?"



"Youngjae hyung. It's BamBam. Yugyeom wanted me to to call to see if you've left yet." BamBam said cheerfully.

 

I double checked the time.



Why are they up so early?



"We're going to the dance studio today for a competition. Have you heard from Jaebum hyung? He said he was going to come." BamBam quickly answered my thoughts.



I glanced towards JB and smiled before shaking my head.

 

"He's here with me. He's going to celebrate Chuseok with me. We already left the house." 



"Wow. All the way in Mokpo? I'm sure it will be so fun! Yugyeom says I can celebrate with his family too. My mom's friend tried to make me travel again but I want to experience Chuseok too." BamBam said excitedly.



"That's great! I'm telling you Yugyeom's mom is a great cook! Almost as good as my mom." I chuckled and glanced at my mom. I caught her smirk and laughed.



"I can't wait! Mark and Jackson hyung are celebrating with Jr hyung. I think they planned to go somewhere too. Yugyeom said Jr hyung would call JB hyung and he would tell you." 



I glanced at JB once again and smiled.



"He's sleeping right now. He hasn't told me anything yet but thanks for telling me." I said.



"Hyung we have to go. The competition is about to start. Yugyeom's going to be in it." BamBam said excitedly.



"What? He didn't tell me. Record it for me." I said a bit annoyed at Yugyeom for not telling me.



"I will. Talk to you later. Wait hyung?"



I chuckled. "Yeah?"



"Happy late birthday. Yugyeom accidentally told me. Don't tell him I told you." BamBam pleaded.



I smiled.



"Thanks Bam." I chuckled. "See you when we get back to school." 



"Bye hyung." 



I sighed and stared at my phone. I'll need to talk to Yugyeom later. I just hoped he only told BamBam. I didn't really want to go through a party of any sort at all.



"Who was that?" my mom asked.



"BamBam. He said he's celebrating Chuseok with Yugyeom."  



"That's a good experience for him, isn't it?" 



"Yeah."
 


A short silence passed. 



"Mom?"



"Hm?"



"Is dad working?" I slowly asked. 



"You're asking about your father? He has work. He'll try to make it." she tried to reassure me. It's exactly what she said last year and he never turned up. It's not that me and my dad don't talk, it's that he works a lot and I barely see him. When I do see him he only talks about school.



"Get some sleep. I'll wake you up at the rest stop."
 


I tried to refuse her but I guess I eventually fell asleep. The next think I knew JB hyung was shaking my shoulder. 



"It's the second rest stop Youngjae. You haven't eaten anything get up." he said.



I slowly opened my eyes, rubbing them quickly to adjust to the light before picking myself up. JB hyung pulled me out of the car and I followed him. He first pointed me to the bathroom. When I came out he was standing exactly where I left him. He walked me to a table where my mom sat with food.



"Do you even hear your mother when you sleep? It's so hard to wake you up sometimes Youngjae. Now Jaebum knows my struggles." my mom said laughing.



JB hyung laughed with her.
 


I apologized and grabbed a bowl of rice, too tired to retaliate. It's the truth anyway. 



The three of us ate in silence, only a few more hours to go before we arrived in Mokpo. 

____________________________________________________________________________________