Straw in the wind

Healer Sunggyu

Rubbing his forehead, Sunggyu entered the Infinite changing room. He could smell delicious pizza from the door.

“Hyung!”

Woohyun called him pointing at the pizza. Sunggyu ran like a kid and grabbed one piece.

 With Infinite he forgot he was a healer. He could get rid of his worries that would burden him from inside. He felt happy and joyful as if he was a different person.

The taste of hot tomato and cheese warmed him up. He took another slice.

“Where were you?” Woohyun looked at him skeptically. “Our car’s tire got punctured else we would have left already.”

Sunggyu pretended he didn’t listen. Sometimes Sunggyu wondered whether Woohyun already knew everything or not. He could feel Woohyun’s judging stare at him.

“Hyung..Are you seeing anyone?”

Sunggyu replied with a quick “ No”

“Hyung….Is it because of Key? Do you dislike him?”

Sunggyu shook his head, “Why would I dislike him?”

Woohyun opened his mouth to say something but decided not to.

Sunggyu didn’t dislike Key. But the fact that Woohyun shared a lot of secrets with him stopped him from telling Woohyun everything that was going on in his life. Sunggyu knew that Woohyun got upset with him a lot but he had to protect his identity.

“Woohyun ah, Don’t worry! I am just stressed out because of my upcoming solo” Sunggyu said smiling at him.

“Oh” Woohyun nodded but he knew there was something Sunggyu Hyung was hiding. He is not going to sit back and wonder anymore. He is going to find out.

 

------------------

 

“Oi  Jun hee and Shi won! Want some pizza?” Sunggyu called out to Hoya who was holding Eunji’s hand. He quickly let go of her hand and blushed furiously.

“Thanks Oppa but I will leave now” Eunji replied smiling widely.

They were saying their goodbyes but Sunggyu doubted how much longer their goodbye would last. He snickered.

Sungjong and Dongwoo came and grabbed one slice.

 “They disgust me” Sungjong whispered.

Woohyun chuckled. “They had been beating around the bush for so many years. They finally got together but still they are acting like high school teenagers”

“Hoya acts such a softie with her! “ Sunggyu complained.

“They disgust me” Sungjong repeated.

 “What’s there to be so disgusted?” Sungyeol and Myungsoo came. Sunggyu left to change clothes.

“Just because YOU haven’t dated yet doesn’t mean you have to be disgusted. You are not disgusted, you are jealous” Myungsoo said. “Yeah, Hoya used to hangout and share his worries with you a lot. But now you must be lonely right?”

Sunggyu came back joining the conversation. “Yeah, Sungjong ah I guess it’s time you should get a girlfriend”

Sungjong went red. Sunggyu and Woohyun laughed at him.

“ I am not jealous you idiots. I am worried. What will they do if they are caught by the media?” Sungjong said excitedly.

Myungsoo kept biting his slice thoughtfully.

Eunji left after shouting ‘Goodbye’ to everyone. Hoya came grabbing the water bottle. He was smiling to himself. Sungjong rolled his eyes.

“Our maknae is worried for you.” Woohyun said.

“Why would he be worried about me? He needs to worry about himself.” Hoya replied.

“He was asking what will you do if you two get caught?” Dongwoo said directly.

Hoya laughed and water fell from his mouth. Everyone laughed too.

Wiping his mouth he replied calmly, “We would just say we are good friends and deny it. If we are caught with pictures then we will admit it and pretend to breakup after one month.”

He gave Sungjong a thumbs down.

“Woah Hoya, you two have it all sorted out” Woohyun was surprised.

Sungjong rolled his eyes again muttering “Irresponsible..Doesn’t care about infinite..” and left his seat.

“Don’t worry about him. He will be okay. He is going through his puberty phase” Dongwoo tried to explain.

“For how many years will he keep going through puberty?” Sunggyu asked annoyed.

“Don’t worry,  he will be okay.” Hoya said reassuringly.

Everyone nodded.

 

 

------------------

 

 

That night, Sunggyu went to the terrace. He kept looking at the cars on the road, the lights,the buildings. He inhaled deeply. He loved looking at the night life with his earphones on. There was some kind of serenity around. He thought he could hear someone’s voice over the music. He wasn’t sure so he switched off the music and looked around.

Someone else was on the terrace too.

“You care for your career more than me!” Hoya was shouting on the phone. Sunggyu stood against the wall and listened in.

“But…”

“You just ruined everything”

“What do you mean by I am misunderstanding you!!”

“I don’t want to see your face..EVER”

And He shouted and cried almost for the next half an hour. Sunggyu sighed. He kept checking his watch for any calls from Ahjumma.

“Hoya…” Sunggyu joined Hoya who was lying and looking intently at the sky. Tears were rolling down from the side of his eyes.

Hoya rolled on the other side and weeped silently. Sunggyu didn’t say anything for some time. He looked at the stars and counted them. There were five over them.

“Did anything happen between you and Eunji?”

Hoya stayed silent. Then he looked at Sunggyu and said,

“I asked her to marry me..She refused.”

Sunggyu was taken aback. “Why so soon?”

“Is it soon? I don’t think so. I don’t have many close people in my life. I fear to lose her. I want people to see who she loves..who I love.”

Hoya continued, “She said she doesn’t want to think about it now. Was she planning to only date me? If she liked me wouldn’t she say yes instantly?”

Hoya sighed. Sunggyu thought he was the wrong one here but saying that would make Hoya feel that he was on her side. He slowly said, “I think you should give her more time.”

“We broke up”

“Aren’t you being too impulsive?”

“Maybe I am. But if she had really liked me she would be impulsive too. “

Sunggyu couldn’t understand him. “You used to think about your career more than anything. What happened to that?”

“I did. I do. But she keeps talking to all these guys and act so closely with them. Everyone should know who she belongs to. “

“Hoya you are NOT being reasonable”

“So you shifted to her side? Now what do I see next you two hanging out together?”

“HOYA.. I am just trying to..”  Sunggyu hated the way he spoke when he was angry. He was mean and bitter. Sunggyu wanted to reply to him but he was interrupted by the vibration of his watch. It was a gadget that showed him emergencies for healer. “Er..I need to check some things” He said quickly and got up.

“Look Hoya.. try to think about it again. It will all make sense.”

Hoya nodded.

Sunggyu came back to his room. “Yeah” He muttered on his Bluetooth earpiece.

“I think Killer just sent a mail. He has sent a photo of his next target”

“Send it to me”

 Sunggyu was surprised looking at his mail. “Why her?”

“Do you remember how he tried to attack  Jiae?”

“Yeah..that’s cause she was our little sister”

“Same.He is trying to weaken you. She is just another bait.”

Sunggyu was annoyed. “But why Eunji? He knows that about Hoya too? “

“Probably. He knows you care about every little thing around you. He knows you are the only one that will never give up in finding him.”

“Ahjumma, He tried to kill my mom too. I will make sure I make him pay for everything!!” Sunggyu said determined.

 

------------------

 

Five hour had passed. Sunggyu had been trying to watch over Apink’s dorm. He sat down on the balcony of a building in front of the dorm.

“Wait.. Ahjumma are you sure he said he would come here?”

“Yeah” She replied tensed.

“I feel weird spying on the girls’ dorm” Sunggyu laughed silently. He inhaled the cold night air. He was almost falling asleep. He had an early schedule the next day. He was too tired already.

He felt this night would never end. He yawned loudly.

Suddenly all the lights went out and he heard a girl scream. His glasses detected movement from the second room of the dorm.

He ran to the terrace quickly and jumped to the other terrace. He let down a rope and reached the window of the second room. The window was open luckily. He entered slowly checking that there was a man standing with his back at the window.

 He found Eunji unconscious on the floor. He hoped she was okay. Another girl was bravely picking up a fight with him. The man hit her sending to the floor. She hurt herself but tried to get up again.

The man was moving towards Eunji again not noticing Sunggyu in the dark when the girl grabbed his hands. She tried to punch him. The man grabbed her from behind and held a knife near .

“What do you think you are doing?”He hissed.

“Do you think you will be able to get away from this?” the girl tried to sound brave.

“I am waiting for someone” He replied. “Do you want to die now or wait and die with him ?”

Sunggyu went behind quickly and hit him on the head. He collapsed on the floor. He got up holding his head and tried to put the knife on Sunggyu’s chest. He moved sideways and held his hand and kicked him hard. The man hit the mirror and fell unconscious. Blood coming out of his head.

The other apink members were banging on the door “We called the police! Unnie! Eunjiya are you okay!!!??”

The girl couldn’t speak up. She looked straight at Sunggyu. He noticed the girl was Chorong. Her hair was disheveled. She was almost shaking. She tried to mumble a thankyou but stopped. She was even more suspicious of him.

He was glad he was wearing his healer clothes. He pulled his cap to this face. He went near the guy and tried to see his face. His face was bare.

“Aish…He is not the killer!! He works for him. I have seen him before” Ahjumma said impatiently. Sunggyu nodded.

Chorong regained her senses. She ran to Eunji and checked if she was alright.

“Is she okay?” Sunggyu asked trying to use a deeper voice.

“Yeah” Chorong mumbled. She was still in shock.

“Police are on the way. Leave” Ahjumma informed him.

 He was leaving when he saw Chorong sitting quietly on the floor. He sighed. She looked really fragile. He felt protective for her all of a sudden.

“Hey..You were really brave there..Everything is okay..Go to your members now, okay?.”Sunggyu tried to reassure her. She nodded slightly and got up to open the door.

“Unnie!!!” They all came and hugged her. Chorong looked back and saw him jumping out of the window. She ran and tried to find him. “Hey!” She kept looking for the healer. “Where is he?”

“Who else was here Unnie?”

Chorong tried to explain to them everything that had happened.

 

------------------