Part 3: Chapter 26

Wolf - Primal Instincts: Part 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 3: Chapter 26

The door to Luhan's apartment slammed open and Doctor Park flew in.

 “Sohee, that's enough!” He yelled.  He took a step toward her but stopped when Kai stepped directly in front of him. 

She jerked her head up to look at him, breaking her connection to Luhan’s wolf, even as Luhan stood to step in front of her, her hand still is his.

“You need to watch your tongue,” Kai said.  He was nearly as tall as the older man, their eyes glowed the same red.  “No one talks to Sohee like that.”

Daewon looked at him, closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again.  “You need to come with me, Sohee.  I’ve got your mom in the car, she’s sick I need to get her to the temple and you need to come with us.”

“She’s not going anywhere with you if I can't trust you with her."

“What’s wrong with my mom?”  Sohee asked, from behind Luhan.

“What’s wrong with her?” Daewon put a hand to his forehead.  “You children have no idea what’s going on.”  He ignored the growls.  “Sohee, no matter how powerful a shaman is, she cannot heal as many wolves as you have healed in a single night.  To use magic drains a shaman’s energy.  You should not be standing right now, you should not be conscious, you should not be sitting causally at the dining table Seeing into another wolf.”

“Then how can I?” Sohee said.  “I’m a little tired, but nothing else.”

Daewon closed his eyes again.  “That’s because your mother has been shielding you, protecting you, she’s giving up her energy so you don’t have to give up yours and it’s costing her twice as much to do it.”

“My mom is a shaman like me?”  Sohee asked, her voice small.  Luhan wrapped an arm around her shoulders. 

“So, you really do know nothing.  She should have explained this all to you long ago, Sohee,” He said.  “Come with me to the temple.  You’ll be safe there and your mother can heal.  She’s been shielding you for too long.”

Sohee shifted closer into Luhan's side even as she longed to run to her mom.  The healing had tired her out, even if it wasn't as much as Doctor Park said it should be.  She couldn't keep up with everything he was telling her.  But her tired mind latched onto the part where he wanted to take her away, and she wasn't willing to leave Luhan and Kai yet.

When no one said anything he continued.  “I’ll come back here once they’re settled, Kai, and we’ll decide what to do next.”

“I already know what needs to be done next," Kai said.  "Come on, Sohee.  You should go with your mom to the temple.  You’ll be safe there.  I’ll go with you as far as the Old Man’s house.   If he’s not there, Luhan, I’m going straight to the warehouse.”  He shrugged into his coat and almost missed how Daewon stilled. 

“I'm coming with you," Luhan said.  "If he’s not there, Kai, I’m going to the warehouse with you.”

“There’s no need for that,” Daewon said quietly.  “Just stay here until I get back.”

Kai froze, something in the doctor's voice didn't sound quite right.  "You still haven't told me what's changed," Kai realized.  "What's the rush to get Sohee and her mom to the temple now?"

Daewon took a deep breath and closed his eyes.  "Master Kwon is dead, Kai," he said quietly.  "I found him at home, laid out like a funeral shroud.  It's a warning, a declaration of intention.   The person that killed him is looking to take over the temple.  He can't yet,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter