Part 3: Chapter 12

Wolf - Primal Instincts: Part 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 3: Chapter 12

 

It was nearly an hour after sunset that Luhan’s phone rang, signally a call from Kai.  Just before they had split up earlier, Kai had finally remembered to demand Luhan’s number.  Luhan hadn’t realized it because he and Kris rarely talked that way, but the inability to communicate had really bothered Kai. 

“You find what you needed to?” Luhan asked as he answered Kai’s call. 

Kai was silent for a moment and all Luhan could hear was the sounds of passing cars and figured Kai must be standing near a street.  “I’m getting more questions than answers,” Kai finally said, sounding frustrated.  “But I think we’re clear for tonight.”

Luhan looked at Sohee and smiled.  She shrieked her excitement and rushed to gather her things so they could leave. 

“Was that Sohee?”  Kai asked.  “It’s been a while since I’ve seen her this excited about anything.”

“It’s nice to see her so happy after everything that’s happened,” Luhan offered quietly.

“Yeah, it is,” Kai responded, his voice equally soft.  Then he cleared his throat and continued.  “I already talked to Kyungsoo.  Go ahead and meet up with them.  We should be okay tonight, but I don’t have to tell you not to take chances with Sohee.”

“I won’t,” Luhan assured him.  “Will we see you there?”

“Yeah, I have one more errand to run before that, but reassure Sohee that I’ll be there by sunrise.  I wouldn’t miss it and ruin something that makes her this happy.”

Luhan smiled.  He finished his call with Kai then grabbed his own bag and met Sohee at the door.  She was already on the phone with Kyungsoo.

“Is it okay if the guys meet us here?”  She asked.  “They’re actually really close.”

Luhan wasn’t sure how he felt about all the guys knowing where he lived.  He didn’t think Kris would be coming around until the three weeks were up, but he still hesitated.  But ultimately, if he felt it was safe enough to bring Sohee here, it shouldn't be a problem for the guys to know where he lived.  “Tell them we'll meet them at the front gate.”

Sohee nodded and conveyed the information as they headed out.

 

Kai, Xiumin and Tao ducked behind a tree across the street from the warehouse.  A line of overgrown bushes separated them from the sidewalk and kept them hidden from view.  It was nearly midnight and the quarter moon was high in the sky, giving off just enough light to throw shadows.

“It’s dark inside,” Tao observed, bending around the tree to get a good look. 

Xiumin, sitting at the base of the tree, craned his neck to see as well.  “Doesn’t look like anyone’s there.  Jinwook and his guys normally at least have fires going inside even if they’re not making a racket.”

Kai stood back, arms crossed over his chest, knowing if it wasn’t for the shadows, the tree would only hide half of him to anyone standing on the street.  Just like everything else that had happened that night, the dark warehouse left Kai with more questions.

“Should we go inside and check?” Xiumin asked quietly.

“You really think something happened to them?”  Tao asked.  “They were still in good shape last time if they had the strength to run away.  This isn’t because of us.”

“Unless they’re just lying low, avoiding us because they know we’ll avenge Sohee,” Xiumin answered.  Knowingly or not, they were voicing the same thoughts running through Kai’s head. 

“You think they’re hiding out somewhere else?  Somewhere we don’t know about?” Tao asked.

“It’s a possibility,” Xiumin said.  “But I think we need to check inside before we leave.”  He turned to look at Kai, knowing it would be Kai’s call.

Before Kai could answer,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter