Part 3: Chapter 16

Wolf - Primal Instincts: Part 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 3: Chapter 16

 

Twelve days into the New Year, Kai, Kyungsoo, and Luhan were ready to head to the Old Man’s.

As their group gathered in front of Luhan’s place, Kyungsoo shook out his newly freed hand.  He had visited the doctor who had given Kai his card at the hospital to get his cast removed.  It turned out that Doctor Park was a Wolf-Man just like them and that was how he knew Kyungsoo’s wrist would heal weeks before it should have.  “It’s a wolf thing,” the doctor had told Kyungsoo.  “Being so near your first turn, your wrist was able to heal nearly as quickly as if you’d already been through it.”

They had sat for nearly an hour in his office, talking about what Kyungsoo was about to face.  Doc had been oddly supportive of him.  “I knew a Wolf-Man that had the same mark as you,” Doctor Park had said.  “He was one of my best friends.  One of the best men I knew.”  His words had given Kyungsoo a bit more courage at the time, but now that his birthday was finally here, the nerves abounded. 

No one had heard any news of the Black Masks.  No one had heard from them.  The warehouse remained dark and silent.  They took no news as good news.  But the longer it took for them to resurface, the more confused they were.

Kai still hadn’t mentioned the rumors he’d heard about the new kid hanging around.  He still hadn’t found the right time to tell Luhan that he suspected Kris.

Sohee refused to let any awkwardness come between them as she hugged Luhan and Kai goodbye.  They’d been so careful around her since their conversation.  It was like they considered themselves a danger to her now, too, and it was creating a tension between the three of them.  It was a tension none of them knew what to do about and hadn’t had the time to deal with.  But Sohee held each of them close for a long moment for letting go.  “Be careful,” she whispered in Kai’s ear and then Luhan’s.  “And take care of each other.”

As she watched the three of them walk away, it hit her that Kai was going to be different when he returned and she had no idea just how different he’d be. 

 

After saying goodbye to Sohee and the other guys, Kai, Kyungsoo, and Luhan headed towards the Old Man’s, each with a small pack and a nervous heart.  The Old Man hadn’t given them any clue as to what was going to happen, they only knew that Kai and Kyungsoo would return full wolf-men.  Some of the guys still didn’t fully believe it.  But they knew enough to suspend full disbelief until they had proof. 

When they arrived at The Old Man’s, they found the traditional style house empty.  As Kyungsoo began to worry, Kai and Luhan just shrugged.  They knew where they needed to go.  This time, their trek up the mountain was full of sunshine streaming through the trees.  A contrast to the dark heavy feeling in their hearts. 

They paused at the statue that greeted them once again with glowing red eyes. 

At the gates, a figure stood with his back to them.  True height hidden with the hunch of his back, the Old Man leaned on his cane and stared at the temple door as if it held immeasurable secrets.  Luhan came to stand at his left, Kai and Kyungsoo flanked his right. 

“This temple was once a sanctuary,” the Old Man said.  His voice was hushed, blending with the soft rustle of leaves.  “The Monks that cared for it were teachers, scholars, advisors, protectors.  It was home to any traveling Wolf-Man, old or young, that sot refuge.  It was a school for those not yet equipped with the knowledge and skills to live amongst humans.  And it was a Pilgrimage for Wolf-Men who wished to view the power that makes us what we are.

“There is a magic here so deep and ancient that it will never again be fully understood.  It can be coaxed back into awakening by a skilled Shaman.  Or by one chosen by an unforeseen destiny.  Kai and Luhan, I believe you have already stumbled across this mysterious power.”  Luhan caught Kai’s eye behind the Old Man’s back.  The circular room that they had stumbled across on their first visit to the temple.  The room that had given Luhan the vision before his First Turn as a freed Wolf-Man.  They had both witnessed the power that the Old Man spoke of. 

“As there were once 12 Kings, this temple is one of 12.  They were once places of power and comfort for Wolf-Men.  Now they are all but forgotten.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter