Chapter Five

Haeri's World

No, no, no! Haeri thinks to herself as her mind slowly clears from the shock. This cannot be happening to her. But at the same time, she knows it's to be expected. She did spill coffee on Sehun, after all.

Joonmyun frowns at Sehun, obviously still confused, but waves a hand at the tables. "Well, since you're here, I guess you can take a seat. We're just starting the meeting."

Sehun nods and makes his way over. Haeri holds her breath, praying, hoping-

-the chair next to her squeaks, and her fear becomes true: Sehun has picked the seat next to her. Her heart beats fast as she steadfastly refuses to acknowledge and stares straight ahead. Her palms sweat, and she hides her hands under the table, hoping nobody will notice.

In the front of the room, Joonmyun has picked up from where he left off.

"As I was saying," he says pointedly with a look at Sehun, "we have a lot of potential this year and we think we can do some great things, things we've never done before. The exec board and I have been brainstorming these past weeks, and in order to get some much-need funding, as the school board somewhat neglects us, we've decided to do a fundraiser with the local bakery." He nods at a club member, who starts handing out white order forms and information sheets. "We're not going to make this required or anything, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Orders are due in two weeks, so this should be fairly quick and easy. Any questions?"

There's a shaking of heads around the room, but Sehun raises his hand. Joonmyun calls on him rather warily. "Yes?"

"You said that this club doesn't get much funding from the school board? Can you elaborate?"

"Ah," Joonnmyun answers. "Yes, that. The school board, it seems would much rather put their money into sports teams and such. As a result, our funds are sometimes cut a bit short, and they are usually not a lot to start off with."

Sehun nods. "I see. Thank you."

Haeri's head shoots up in surprise, and she sees from the side Sehun turn towards her. She stares straight ahead and waits until his head has turned back, and then exhales. Did she really just hear Sehun say 'Thank you'? Based on what she knows about him, this comes as a surprise to her... Maybe he isn't so bad at all?

She tries not to think too much about it. Better not to jinx it; who knows, maybe Sehun's just putting on a nice act right now.

"Well," finishes Joonmyun, "that just about concludes our meeting. Start selling that bread, and remember that we'll be meeting again next week, same time, same place. Bring friends, and maybe there will be food." He laughs. "Thank you all for coming!"

Chairs scrape back and chatter fills the room as everyone stands up and starts leaving. Some hang back to talk to Joonmyun, and Haeri makes her way over to that group. To her relief, Sehun leaves right away.

Joonmyun smiles when he sees her, and they exchange a brief hug. "Haeri! It's good to see you again."

"You too, Joonmyun," Haeri replies. "It sounds like you've got big plans for this year. I can't wait! Our first competition is close, isn't it?"

"It is! In about two weeks, actually."

"Oh, wow." Haeri raises an eyebrow. "That's closer than I thought."

Joonmyun nods, and Haeri hesitates before lowering her voice and asking, "By the way, do you know why Oh Sehun was here today? He doesn't seem like the type to join math club." Hopefully, Haeri thinks to herself, she's just coming across as casually interested.

"I was just going to ask you that, in fact." Joonmyun answers, and her heart sinks. "He did sit right next to you. I don't really know he would join, to be honest, but I guess we'll see if he shows up next week. And if he turns out to be good at math, he'll be a great asset at our competitions."

"Yeah," Haeri agrees. She checks her watch. "Look, I have to go now, but it was nice seeing you again. I'll be at the meeting next week!"

"See you then," Joonmyun nods, then turns back to the ongoing conversation.

Haeri waves at a couple other friends as she leaves, then exits the room, headed for home.