Chapter Sixteen

Haeri's World

I have a boyfriend now, Haeri repeats to herself many many times in the weeks that follow. I, Lee Haeri, have a boyfriend.

She always shakes her head in disbelief. It seems too good to be true. But it is true, and even Haeri can't make herself believe that it's all a dream, or that it will suddenly end one day. Sehun texts her each morning with a cheerful greeting and each night before bedtime with a goodnight message. He doesn't let her forget how beautiful or great he thinks she is, and how lucky he feels to have her.

Haeri thinks it should be the other way around it: she has never felt so blessed in her life. She worries often if she's doing an okay job; if she's holding up her end of the relationship. She tries to text Sehun without him texting her first, tries to do nice things for him as often as she can. It doesn't feel like enough to her, but Sehun is always quick to assure her that it's all perfectly okay.

It's Haeri's first relationship, and honestly? She has no idea what she's doing. In the days immediately following the beach date, Haeri feels self-conscious around Sehun, never mind the rest of the school. When is it okay to hold his hand? When is it okay to not hold his hand? How cuddly should she be? How should she act so that she doesn't turn into one of those super clingy girls that everyone seems to hate?

It's all so confusing and undoubtebly stressful, but also rewarding when she realizes how happy she is. The first few weeks are rocky and uncertain, but as the time passes, Haeri starts to get a sense of what a relationship is and how to balance it with her life. She and Sehun learn more about each other and learn to fit their interests together. They share their worries and problems with each other and know that they can always rely on the other should something happen.

Haeri cringes at herself when she sets her phone's wallpaper to a picture of the beach at sunset, but she really can't help herself, for she gets a little flash of happiness every time she unlocks her phone. Lina clicks her tongue when she sees it.

"C'mon, Haeri. Even you? That's such a... 'couply' action. You know what I mean, right? We used to laugh at girls like that."

Haeri shifts uncomfortably, surprised by the force behind Lina's words. "Well, I know. But things... change. I didn't get it then, why girls did it. But I do now."

"Oh," Lina says. "And I guess I still just don't get it then. Seeing as I'm not the one with a boyfriend."

"I didn't mean-"

"Look," Lina looks down at her watch, "I gotta go. Catch you later!"

Haeri barely gets out a 'bye' before Lina's gone. She sighs, mood suddenly down, and decides to go home.

She's determined to make things up between herself and Lina. It's really her fault, she realizes with guilt. She's been neglecting Lina ever since being asked out by Sehun.

hey Lina, she texts, do you want to get ice cream this Saturday? It's on me!

The reply doesn't come until the next day: sorry, I have stuff to do. maybe some other time.

oh, okay, Haeri texts back, disappointed. see you around then, I guess.

There's no reply at all this time.

 


 

One afternoon she and Sehun are walking out of school together when he suddenly turns to her.

"Haeri, how would you like to have lunch with me and my friends together? I know we've eaten together a couple times but never with my friends."

"Sure," Haeri says hesitantly. "I mean, as long as they don't mind. I don't think I've ever talked to any of them before."

"Great!" Sehun exclaims, eyes narrowing to crescents as he smiles (Haeri's heart flutters). "They're all really cool, I promise you that. They won't mind at all."

Haeri smiles. "Alright. I'll be at your table tomorrow then."

She automatically reaches for her phone to tell Lina she won't be at their table tomorrow, but realizes a bit sadly that Lina hasn't been showing up for the past week anyways, so it won't really matter.

The next day, true to her word, Haeri veers around her usual lunch table, which is conspicuously empty, and heads for the table she hasn't dared gone near all her high school life. It's the table that every school has in some form or another: the table the cool kids frequent.

It's with definite hesitation that she takes a seat near the edge, and even then she sits with one leg slightly out to the side, ready to leave in a second should it be necessary. She's early to lunch, for there aren't much other kids there yet, but soon the table starts to fill up. Haeri watches nervously for Sehun. When he finally shows up with the rest of his friends in tow, she feels most of the tension go out of her. Everything should be fine now.

Sehun takes a seat next to her and grabs her hand under the table. His friends, joking around among themselves and laughing, take their seats too and then watch Haeri a bit curiously, though she sees no hostileness in their eyes. She shrinks back a little, but Sehun's warm hand on hers keeps her from bolting away.

"Guys," Sehun says casually, "this is my girlfriend, Haeri. She's awesome and wonderful and I hope you all can become friends with her." Sehun's friends smile at her and she smiles back.

"Hi, I'm Haeri, as you all know," Haeri begins cautiously. "It's nice to meet you all."

Introductions go around the whole table.

"Luhan," a pretty blonde boy says. "Nice to meet you too."

"Chanyeol," says another. "You seem awesomer than Sehun, so welcome to our table! I hope you'll be here more often. We've all been wanting to meet you for ages."

"Yeah!" brown haired boy chimes in, "You're practically all he talks about! I'm Minseok, by the way."

By the end of lunch, Haeri feels at ease and laughs along with the rest of the table. She shouldn't have worried: Sehun's friends all are awesome, though it's going to take her a while to get all their names straight.

Her phone vibrates suddenly, and she retreats from the conversation to check who it is in her lap.

It's an unknown number, which isn't the strange part; it's the message itself that makes her blood run cold.

 

Lee Haeri is a ty .