Chapter Two

Haeri's World

Haeri sees Sehun everywhere.

Before this year, she didn't ever really notice him, but now he always seems to be in her vicinity, whether she is walking down the hallway or buying lunch, or browsing for books in the school library. It's strange and unnerving and Haeri can't quite figure out if it's because she is so much more aware of him or just by coincidence. Either way, every time she's near Sehun she tries her best to get away from him and stay unnoticed. Luckily, they don't have any classes together, something Haeri is immensely relieved about.

Lina, however, is still suspicious, and Haeri knows it. Strangely, Lina hadn't asked Haeri anything after they'd met up after lunch that first day, and Haeri had been relieved about that, too. Explaining to Lina what had happened and why she had left the lunch room so abruptly... Haeri doesn't feel up to doing that yet, though she knows that with Lina, it's only a matter of time before the truth comes out. And sure enough, Lina makes her move that Friday during biology.

 


 

"Students, please take out your lab manuals and a piece of paper. You can put your goggles away; we won't be using them at this time. Now, I thought we'd start off with a lecture today, since we've been doing a lot of hands-on-work in the past couple days. First, can anyone raise their hand and..."

"Psst."

Haeri looks up, forehead twitching. "What, Lina? This is an important lesson. I'm trying to take notes."

"Sorry, sorry," Lina says quickly. "I just wanted to ask to borrow a pencil. I lost mine and my backup's all out of lead."

Haeri grumbles but fishes out a pencil from her backpack and gives it to Lina, then turns her attention back to the lecture. She gets a couple minutes of uninterrupted note taking before-

"Hey, Haeri."

Haeri's sigh is loud, and several students from the neighboring table look over at them. "What is it now?"

"Can I borrow your eraser?"

"Go ahead," Haeri waves. "You know you don't need to ask."

"Oh, thanks."

"Is that it?" Haeri asks, tapping the table impatiently. At Lina's nod, she returns back to the lesson once again, determined to learn something before the period ends. Not even a minute later, Lina nudges her arm.

"Lina, I swear to god," Haeri explodes, "this better be the last time. I love you, but I also love my grades. So?"

Lina picks her words carefully. "I promise to stop bothering you... if you sleepover at my house this Saturday."

"What!?" Haeri is enraged. "School just started! I don't have time for that!"

"Yeah," Lina replies, "but it feels like it's been so long. Please, Haeri? I'll stop bothering you, I swear."

Haeri opens to say no, but just then the teacher begins the most important part of the lecture, and Haeri hurriedly turns back to the front of the classroom. "Fine, fine! Whatever you say." Something about this feels off to her, but she can't quite pinpoint it right now, not in the middle of class.

Satisfied, Lina smirks and takes out her own pencil, nestled safely in her binder.

Haeri fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

 


 

After school ends, Haeri and Lina decide to go out for ice cream to celebrate the end of their first week as seniors. Lina helps Haeri pack up her stacks of books and binders, and then they set off for the small ice cream shop not far from the school. It's a fine day outside, and Lina chatters happily about cute boys at school and what she's been up to in her spare time. Haeri listens and nods, soaking in the uplifting effect Lina always seems to give up. Once they reach the shop, they claim their old table in the corner and enjoy their ice cream: vanilla for Lina, and chocolate for Haeri. The shop owner, Mrs. Ryu, smiles at them as they relax and discuss school and the upcoming weekend.

When they move onto the topic of how dumb the cliques are at school, it hits Haeri just what Lina's made her agree to.

"Oh my god!"

Lina stops mid-sentence, looking at Haeri curiously. "What? Did something - hey! That hurt!"

Haeri has landed a good slap to Lina's arm. "You deserve it. I can't believe you made me agree to a sleepover this weekend! I should have known, but we were in the middle of class. We're going to play your own special version of Truth or Dare, aren't we?"

Lina laughs. "Spot on. You'll love me for it later, when you have somebody to confess to. You can never keep anything secret from me for long, remember? Don't think I haven't noticed that something's up."

Haeri nods with grudging acknowledgement and sighs. "Sometimes, I think you know me better than I know myself."

"Of course I do," Lina asserts, and they both laugh.

"I still don't take that slap back, though," Haeri decides. "You were in need of it."

"Dont worry," Lina answers. "That's what friends are for, right?"

"Yeah," Haeri says, smiling softly. "That's what friends are for."