Chapter Eight

Haeri's World

The next day, Haeri wakes up well past noon and wanders around the house eating toast until she remembers she has a date with Kris. Cursing, she throws on some clothes, hoping she looks decent, and then takes off. Though she drives as fast as she can, she is five minutes late to the ice cream shop.

Kris is already standing outside, an amused expression on his face. When he sees her, he beckons her over, and they enter the shop together.

"Sorry," Haeri mumbles. "I kind of... forgot."

"I wouldn't expect anything else from you," Kris replies good-naturedly. "Though, it's definitely not a good sign if I'm trying to woo you."

Haeri blushes despite herself and hits Kris on the arm. "Stop, Kris! C'mon."

Kris laughs and orders the ice cream, pausing midway to ask Haeri what she wants.

"Chocolate," she answers offhandedly, and Kris nods, ordering himself a vanilla.

"Wow," Haeri says. "You and Lina even have the same ice cream flavor. You too really need to meet."

"I'd be happy to meet her," Kris informs her. "I probably will at school, actually."

Haeri makes a move to find a table, but Kris has other plans. "Let's go to the park," he suggests, and Haeri agrees. She doesn't really mind what they do.

The park is nice and they find a shaded seat under a tree to keep cool. Haeri can't help but wonder if Kris has anything else up his sleeve, but they end up spending most of the afternoon just talking. They both learn a lot about each other, and Haeri is sure by the end of it that she's found an excellent friend in Kris. Something bothers her, though: is this a date or not? Because it seems pretty date-y to her. And while she's a bit flattered that Kris would consider her nice enough to ask out, she has to admit that she doesn't feel any attraction to him beyond friendship.

She's still thinking about how to break the news to him when he stands up abruptly and offers her his arm.

"Let's go to the movies."

"Um, okay?" Haeri just shakes her head, smiling, and goes along with Kris.

The movie they watch is a romance, and absolutely tragic. Predictably, the movie ends in death and unrequited love. Sniffling comes from every corner of the theater, and Kris and Haeri look at each other, both completely dry-eyed, and burst into laughter.

"Oh, god," Haeri chuckles as they leave the theater and head out into the cool night air. "That was terrible."

"Yeah," Kris agrees. "Next time we should watch an action movie instead."

Next time?

"About that..." Haeri begins, but her voice peters off.

Kris catches her drift and is an absolute gentleman about it. "Oh, sorry, Haeri. I don't want to impose anything on you."

"I should be the one saying sorry." Haeri looks at her feet after finding that she's unable to face Kris directly. "It's just... I think I'd be a better friend to you than a girlfriend."

"I totally understand," Kris replies seriously. "Please don't feel uncomfortable or anything. This was just a casual date so we could get to know each other, and if you feel that way, it's fine."

Haeri gives him a look. "You're way nicer to me than I deserve... thank you for being awesome."

Kris wiggles his eyebrows at her and she laughs, all the tension gone from her. "As long as we remain friends, I'm happy. Now, let's get you home, shall we?"