Chapter Seventeen

Haeri's World

There really seems to be a moment when the entirety of Haeri is frozen and unable to move. Her breath issues out in a sharp gasp before she can stop it, and though Sehun looks at her with a raised eyebrow, she shakes her head at him and manages a weak smile. Satisfied, he nods and turns back to the conversation after bestowing a smile on her.

It's a good thing she has both hands on her phone and isn't holding Sehun's hand, because she finds that she is shaking. She can't seem to stop shaking and her head feels dizzy and light. She clutches the phone tighter, refuses to look at the screen and those hateful words until she feels she's stabilized somewhat; only then does she sneak a peek down again. Another nasty shock hits her, but she ignores it. Reads the text over and over again until it barely affects her. Takes a deep breath.

She's okay now. Still deeply hurt and shocked, but well enough to try to figure out what's going on.

But first, she needs to get out of here. She gets up, smiles at the whole table and thanks them for welcoming her, and then heads off out of the lunchroom and into the school. As soon as she's out of the lunchroom, she feels some of the tenseness leave her. The school hallways are quiet and only sparsely populated at this time, and she wander slowly down the sunlit halls, brushing her hands down the lockers and thinking hard. Who would send her a text like that? And perhaps more importantly, why?

In the end, she narrows it down to a single reason: it must be related to her relationship with Sehun. People actually know who she is now. This is the time it would make the most sense for bullying like this to occur. Perhaps the bully wants to weaken her psychologically. Perhaps he or she is simply spiteful. Haeri doesn't know exactly, but she knows that the texts are sure to continue. This is the way such bullying usually works. It's not a one-time thing.

I'll have to try my best to prepare myself mentally against them, Haeri realizes. How successful I'll be... that's a whole different problem.

And there's another problem she's just thought of. This person, whoever it is, has Haeri's personal cell phone number. Haeri doesn't just give out her number to anybody, so this scares her even more than the reason behind the texts. If the day ever comes when she discovers who this person is, Haeri suspects that she herself will be hurt just as badly.

It makes her feel vulnerable and she shivers despite the sunlight washing all over her body.

 


 

Beep

On the way back home from school, Haeri freezes when her phone beeps and reaches slowly into her pocket. Her finger hovers over the slide bar for a minute, and she chides herself for being ridiculous.

Lee Haeri, are you really going to let this get to you so much? Just open the damn text.

Fine, she sighs to herself, and slides the bar.

As soon as the message pops on the screen Haeri lets out a half choke, half laugh. It's just a text from her mom, asking her what she wants for dinner. Chiding herself once again, Haeri replies to the message and puts the phone back.

Not two minutes pass when-

-Beep

Haeri takes the phone out again and slides it open absentmindedly, looking to see what her mom wants this time.


Stop being such a fatass. Don't you do anything but eat?


CRACK

The phone hits the ground at full force, and Haeri scrambles back, shaking her head. No, no, no.

Gritting her teeth, Haeri picks up the phone, checking it for cracks. Thankfully, there are none. Then she turns her attention to the message.

She would never admit it to anyone, but the text digs deep this time. She's always been a bit self-conscious of her weight and this seems to be a confirmation of that fear. Haeri deletes the message and stops to sit down dejectedly. It's only the second text of many, but already her resolve is beginning to crack. She's never been hurt this way before and it's far from a pleasant experience. And all the way back home, a little thought in her back of her head bothers her, whispers in her ear.


You are getting a little fat, aren't you, Haeri? You know it's true...


And Haeri knows it is.