Chapter Eighteen

Haeri's World

Haeri scrolls through the app store on her phone grimly. Which one of these calorie-counters looks like it'll work the best?

That one? No, it costs too much. This one look promising- but the review are horrible. Finally, Haeri finds a free, good one called MyFitnessPal. She hits download with an air of apprehension. What exactly is she getting herself into?

I'll be careful. I won't go overboard, she assures herself. Yeah, right, a little voice in her head mocks.

"Shut up."

Lina looks up. "What?"

"Sorry," Haeri flushes. "I wasn't talking to you." She doesn't realize how rude this sounds until Lina raises and eyebrow and begins packing her bags. "Well, since you're clearly occupied, I guess I'll be going now."

Haeri cringes, but the damage has already been done. Lina leaves the room amidst Haeri's apologies. The air feels dead once Haeri's left alone. Glumly, she looks back at her phone. The download has finished, so she clicks on the icon and tries to figure out how to use it. There are so many little customizable options and tabs that Haeri feels a bit overwhelmed. Pie charts to break down what she's eating, options to enter exercise minutes... it's a lot to take in. She's sure that once she begins using it in earnest, though, she'll figure out how to work it faster.

On the way out the library, she's so focused on her phone screen that she crashes into somebody. is forming an apology when she looks up and realizes it's Sehun. "Oh, hey," Haeri smiles. "Didn't see you there."

Sehun loops an arm around her. "How've you been lately? I feel like we haven't spent time together for a long time."

"I've been fine," Haeri replies, slightly untruthfully. "I've just had a lot of homework. Once it all lightens up, I'll be sure to let you know."

"Great," Sehun smiles happily. "Do you want to do something now? If you have time?"

Haeri smiles apologetically at him. "Actually, I have something... to do. I'm really sorry." Sehun waves her apology off, and they head their separate ways after a hug. Haeri sighs regretfully. She really would like to spend some time with Sehun. But right now, her biggest concern is her weight. And losing weight means only one thing: the gym.

The gym is a foreign place, and she feels completely out of place. Making her way nervously through the rows of machines, Haeri eventually picks a tamer looking one and gets to work. It's evident when she begins to feel tired after barely a minute that she is really really out of shape. Two hours later and fatigued, she enters her workout into the app. To her dismay, she's only burned about 200 calories.

This is going to be harder than I thought, she thinks. A lot harder.

 


 

Those two hours at the gym have eaten away at her homework time. It's three AM, and though Haeri would nothing more than to be asleep, she is still up struggling through her calculus homework.

"Damn this optimization!" She shouts angrily out loud, slamming her hand on her desk. "When am I ever going to ing use this in real life?" When she picks up her phone to check her email, a stranger stares out at her from the glossy reflection. Is that really her? Her eyes are bloodshot, her hair a mess. She's a mess.

"Ugh."

Clearly, she's going to have to try to find a way to balance her workouts with homework. Haeri prepares herself to give up even more of her already tiny leisure time. Just thinking of it brings Haeri to the brink of giving up.

But just think of how skinny you'll be in even a month, if you keep this up. You can wear anything and look good in it. You can wear those stupid dresses that stick to your skin. You can wear a bikini!

Her resolve returns.

 


 

"God, Haeri, you look terrible," Lina comments. "Did you sleep at all?"

Haeri's too tired to catch the ever-so-slight meanness in Lina's voice. "No. My first all-nighter." She puts her head down on the desk.

"Wouldn't want to be you," Lina observes smugly. "Not for anything in the world. Don't you wish you signed up for normal classes now?"

"Whatever," Haeri mutters, annoyed. What's with Lina today, anyways?

The bell rings. Lina's playing around on her phone as they walk out of class when Haeri's phone buzzes. She reaches automatically for her phone and freezes mid-reach. Should she see who it is? What are the chances that it's the bully?

Lina's looking at her curiously. "Who is it?"

"Nothing, nothing," Haeri replies hastily, withdrawing her hand. Lina shrugs. Haeri finally checks the message once she's by herself.

 

Feel like yet? Hope you do~

 

She shoves the phone back into her pocket, blinking back tears, and proceeds to break her diet and eat two whole bars of chocolate.