Chapter Fourteen

Haeri's World

The entire next week, Haeri just can't seem to stop smiling. She catches herself doing it everywhere: when she wakes up in the morning, before she sleeps at night, when she's eating - even when she's doing math homework.

This is great, she thinks to herself happily. I haven't felt so good in a long time.

Lina asks her for all the details of their first date (Haeri hopes there will be more), and congratulates her afterwards, though they aren't able to talk about it in detail as Lina has stuff to deal with yet again. Haeri hopes she's okay, because she's seemed so distant and just.. off... lately.

Much to her delight, Sehun asks her out on a couple more impromptu dates. They're much more like typical dates - a trip to the mall, dinner at nice restaurant - but she still enjoys them nevertheless. One day they even go out the fateful coffee shop, and Haeri thanks god that the whole incident had happened the way it did. Bad things can become good after all.

To her surprise, although she doesn't know how, word spreads quickly around school that she and Oh Sehun are now a thing. Maybe classmates have spotted them on dates, although Haeri doesn't remember seeing anybody on any of the dates. She also catches a couple of Sehun's buddies eyeing her curiously as she walks to her next class. It's definitely strange being somebody that people actually know and recognize, and Haeri knows it's going to take a while to get used to.

Of course, being an item with Sehun isn't all good. For the first time in her life, Haeri has to deal with jealous girls looking critically at her outfit and her lack of excessive makeup. And, probably judging her based on the amount of cliques she's a part of (zero). Thankfully, she's only been forced to deal with a jealous girl in person one time, when the girl, a sophomore, had come up to Haeri in the hallway and told her very frankly that Sehun was hers, would always be hers, and that Haeri should just give up. Haeri had nodded slowly and waited until the girl, apparently satisfied, had flounced away, and then let out a breath of relief.

But really, it makes her wonder: what exactly are she and Sehun? Sehun hasn't asked her out officially, but it's not like he hasn't shown interest in her either. Should Haeri consider the two of them a couple? Or are they just one of those tentative, unofficial couples?

It's absolutely confusing and sometimes Haeri wonders what she's gotten herself into. Her friends' reactions only make things worse. Kris, for one, disapproves strongly and tells her so, though he also tells her that as long as she's happy, that's good. Kyungsoo, too, seems absolutely heartbroken. Ever since word had spread, Kyungsoo seems to have been avoiding her. One day, they make eye contact in front of the school and Haeri raises her hand to wave, but Kyungsoo lowers his eyes immediately and disappears into the crowd, and Haeri's just left standing there with one hand in the air, looking like an absolute idiot.