Chapter Eleven

Haeri's World

As can be expected, Haeri's homework load starts to build up rapidly. It seems as if one day she's still sleeping early and breezing through homework, and then the next she's staying up well past midnight struggling with difficult concepts.

"Do you ever just think," she asks Lina one day, "that all the teachers seem to know exactly when to assign tests and big projects? Like, I usually never have a civics test on Tuesday. But of course, the one time my history teacher assigns us a project due on Tuesday, that's when the civics test happens to be, too. And then my calculus teacher puts the midterm on that day." She sighs and runs a hand angrily through her hair.

"Shh," Lina soothes, patting her on the back. She's used to Haeri complaining endlessly about school and although Haeri thinks it must get pretty annoying at times, Lina has always kept her patience. "It's alright, Haeri. I know it's always been tough for you but you always manage to find a way to manage everything."

Haeri groans and hides her face in Lina's sweater. "Damn it, Lina. I just feel so stressed, you know?"

Lina sighs too. "I did warn you against taking so many difficult courses this year. I knew you wouldn't listen to me, but I had to try."

"Ugh."

"Same."

That night, Haeri finally lets the stress overtake her, and she cries for a good five minutes over her calculus homework. When she sees that her tears have stained her homework paper, she cries even more, overwhelmed not by sadness but by sheer frustration that she's unable to understand her assignment. She's supposed to be good at math - she's in math club, for goodness sake - but this just isn't coming as easy to her as it usually is.

Well, she thinks to herself glumly, I guess I'm just stupid. She knows it's completely unreasonable to think this because she's not stupid, but Haeri's tired of trying to stay calm and balanced and for tonight, at least, she's just going to let herself cry.

She ends up acing the test, anyways. But this little victory leaves a bitter taste in : is it really worth it, to struggle so much with math? Or should she just drop into an easier class?

There is no right answer.

 


 

On the other side of things, the math club competitions have been going spectacularly. This weekend is their final game in the regular season that will determine whether or not they advance to the championships round. Undoubtebly, Haeri is nervous. Sehun is an amazing partner and she knows they'll probably do okay, but she always feels a little bad each time they win because Sehun is answering most of the difficult questions. He's told her he doesn't mind at all. But still, she can't help it.

There's a definite tension in the air the day of the competition. Haeri feels nervous and jumpy, and even Sehun is on-edge. The rest of the team isn't much better. Joonmyun goes through cycle of extreme energy and hype, followed by down periods of anxiety and despair. If Haeri weren't feeling the same things herself, she would have laughed at him.

In earlier games during the season, the freshmen team had lost one too many games, so they are already out of the running for champs. As a result, they are completely at ease and have fun during their last game, buzzing as much as they can and uncaring of the outcome. Then it's the advanced team's turn.

Immediately they are off to a bad start as they answer their first question wrong. The game is incredibly close, and the higher score fluctuates between the two teams with every question. The parents and students watching observe with bated breaths, afraid to look away in case something stupendous and game-changing happens. Both coaches use up all their time-outs giving pep talks to the players.

Finally, after the third timeout, it happens: Seoul High starts to pull ahead. The other team, sensing the shifting tide, throws their weight even more into the game, but the damage is already done, and it's too late: the game is lost for them.

It's slow, and it's gradual, but by the five minutes remaining mark, Seoul High has a high enough lead that they know the other team can't possibly catch up anymore. The atmosphere loosens up a little, but remains quite tense.

The proctor is just reading another question when the game-over buzzer goes off, loud and intrusive. Everybody jumps, startled by the harsh sound. There's a silence as the question is answered by the other team, and then the game is officially over. The teams line up and shake hands, hands still damp with sweat. The other team is very good about losing, and they even wish Seoul High the best of luck of champs.

While they're shaking hands somebody shouts Haeri's name. She looks into the audience, puzzled, and then spots the same freshman that bought bread from her, Kyungsoo. He's waving crazily at her, a huge grin on his face and a equally huge camera around his neck. She waves back, and he raises the camera and snaps a picture of her.

He must be in newspaper, Haeri realizes. His mouth is open, but in the after-game racket Haeri can't hear him at all. Eventually, after watching his lips move, she realizes what he's saying.

"You did great!" he's cheering. "Go Haeri!"

She blushes and laughs, nodding slightly at him in acknowledgment. Just then, she's distracted by a light touch on her shoulder, and she spins around the face Sehun.

"Yeah?" she questions. "What is it?"

"Who's that?" Sehun asks, pointing at Kyungsoo, who is still grinning and waving.

"Oh," she answers, "that's Kyungsoo! Do you know him?"

"No," Sehun says shortly, and then turns and leaves without another word.

Haeri frowns at his retreating back. "What the heck, Sehun..." she mutters. "That was rude."

She tries not to think anymore about it, though she has to admit it bothers her a lot, Sehun just up and leaving. She wonders why he's so upset. Did she do something?

"He's so unpredictable," she complains under her breath, and then goes to join the rest of team in their little celebratory party. Strangely, though, she can't seem to quite enjoy the celebration, not with Sehun absent.