Chapter 7

Nothing Can Change the Past

A Month Later Bomi POV

 

I was excited as I got off the plane. I decided to come back 3 months earlier because I really missed my friends. I decided to surprise them instead of telling them. California was fun, but nothing beats Korea. Since my parents didn’t come back with me they told me to stay at Eunji’s house, I guess I’ll be surprising Eunji first! I took a taxi to her house, and hurried to her front door. Her parents opened the door and greeted me happily. They told me Eunji is just up in her room listening to music. I thanked them and went up to the room.

“JUNG EUNJI. YOU BETTER OPEN UP THIS DOOR THIS INSTANT OR YOU WILL NOT GET CHOCOLATE” I shouted as I pounded on the door. Eunji opened the door and attacked me with a hug, which caused me to knock over to the floor.

“yah you got heavier!” I said trying to get up, which earned a smack from Eunji also.

“what are you doing here? I thought you weren’t back for another 3 months?” Eunji asked while helping me carry my bags

“I missed you guys too much” I said. It was true, I really did miss them a lot. They were constantly on my mind. If it weren’t them on my mind, it’d be Chorong unnie. I wonder how she was doing. Is her and Minah still together? I was brought back to reality when I noticed Eunji looking through my stuff.

“yah don’t you have manners!” I said snatching my bags away from her

“where’s the chocolate?” she asked. Aish I should have known. I took out a box of chocolate and handed it to her, which she gladly took.

“so what’s been happening for the past 7 months?” I asked hoping to get some information about Chorong unnie out of Eunji without having to ask

“nothing much. I’m still with Naeun, Hayoung is still with Namjoo, Chorong unnie and Minah broke up. Oh man you should have been there. Chorong unnie slapped her multiple times saying ‘this is for using me’ ‘this is for Bomi’ and blah blah blah”

“wait rewind. They broke up? Why? Is Chorong unnie okay?” I bombarded Eunji with questions.

“hey relax! She’s okay now. She’s just really depressed about what she did to you. Are you going to talk to her?”

“no I doubt it. She wanted me out of her life and that’s what I’m gonna do”

“what if she asks you to come back?”

I thought about it for a bit and said, “I don’t know. I want her back in my life, but at the same time she ripped my heart out. How can I let her back in? What if she hurts me again…”

Eunji continued stuffing her face with chocolate as she was talking, “just think about it, okay? Chorong unnie misses you a lot”

 

It felt weird to be going back to school, I decided to go to school early and wait for the others in our homeroom. Once they all came I was attacked with hugs, hugs from the people I’ve missed so much. When I let go of everyone I noticed Chorong unnie standing there awkwardly. We made a quick eye contact but I looked away. I still haven’t figured out what to do yet. The others kept asking me questions about California and asking whom I’ve missed most. Chorong unnie was quiet the whole time, I hope it won’t be like this during lunch. When class was over, I ran out to my next class because I didn’t want to make any more eye contacts with Chorong unnie. If I keep on looking at her I would cave in and talk to her. I want to talk to her when I know what I want. It felt like forever until it was lunchtime. The atmosphere at the table was happy and joyful, but at the same time awkward. Chorong unnie would just talk to Hayoungie and Eunji and sometimes make eye contacts me. I tried to focus on telling the others my story, but my eyes kept drifting towards unnie. After lunch ended Chorong unnie was heading my way. My head said, ‘let’s get out of here’ but my legs wouldn’t move.

“Bbom-ah” Chorong unnie said in a soft voice. Oh how I missed her calling my name. How I’ve missed hearing her soft voice. My good thoughts of her were all destroyed when her words from before come rushing through my head. I immediately gave her a cold look and walked away. Before I could walk any further she grabbed my hand, “please listen to me. I know we don’t have enough time to talk right now, but please meet me at the Han River after school. If you’re not there I’ll know to leave your life forever and never bother you.” 

 

Class was over and I was making my way towards the Han River. Yes after spending the day thinking I decided to give Chorong unnie a chance to talk. As much as I hate what she did to me, she’s still the Chorong unnie that I love so much. Spending 7 months being completely away from her made me realized that I am in love with her. Although I want to forgive her and be with her, I don’t think I can. Not after the hurtful things she did. When I got to the river I saw unnie standing and looking at the view. I walked up to her and quietly said hey.

“I’m glad you came Bbom-ah. I’ve missed you so much” Chorong unnie said turning to face me. I didn’t know what to say so I looked everywhere but at her. Chorong unnie continued on,

“I’m really stupid. I don’t know why I did what I did. I know no amount of sorry is enough to make it up. Please know that I am truly sorry Bbom-ah. I screwed up big time. You’ve been my best friend for long, how could I have chosen that over you. We’ve been through so much; I never thought that I would let a girl come between us. You always stood by my side and were always there when I needed you most, yet I couldn’t do the same for you. I treated you so bad, I’m always gonna feel sorry…” I tried to listen with a straight face, but I can feel my tears starting to come out. I looked at Chorong unnie and she was already crying so much. Chorong unnie turned and looked at me, right when we made eye contact she dropped down to her knees. I was so shocked I didn’t know how to react.

“Bomi, I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for the harsh words I said to you. I’m sorry for not believing you. I’m sorry for choosing her over you. I’m most sorry for slapping you. Please Bbom-ah, hit me. Yell at me. Say you hate me. Anything is better than the silence you’re giving me.” Unnie cried out holding onto my hand. I was still shocked; I didn’t know what to do. At first I was planning to tell her that nothing can fix this, even though I still love her it would be hard to have her in my life. All those thoughts disappeared when I saw Chorong unnie like this. I never saw her break down this much before.

“Chorong…stand up” I couldn’t bring myself to say unnie. I tried to get her to stand up, but she wouldn’t.

“Bomi…I know this is shameless of me to ask, but do you think we can go back to the way things were before?” she asked looking up straight into my eyes

“no” I said looking away. As the word came out of my mouth Chorong unnie let go of my hands and slump back in defeat.

“if that’s what you really want, then I’ll just accept it” Chorong unnie said standing up and starting to walk away. Before she could get far, all feelings in her legs were lost and she fell to the ground. By instinct I ran straight to her, “unnie! Wake up!” I hurried and took out my phone and called Eunji.

“Eunji-ya yah yah Chorong unnie fainted! Are you home? I’m gonna bring her to your house” I said shouting and trying to get Chorong unnie on my back

“yeah I’m home, is she okay?! Aiish she lied to me. She probably fainted because she haven’t eaten in days. Hurry and bring her here.”

I hung up and ran with all my might back to Eunji’s house. ‘Chorong unnie please be okay’ I thought.