Chapter 4

Nothing Can Change the Past

Bomi POV

It’s been a week since Chorong unnie turned in the project she did with Minah, but yet unnie still hangs out with her. We used to go to the park or get ice cream everyday after school, but she always cancel now saying she’s hanging out with Minah. I tried my best to hide my jealousy because she can have her own friends and doesn’t need to always hangout with me. The thing that bothers me most is Minah. She’s been trying to hurt me and ruin my life; I can’t help but feel that she’s only using Chorong unnie to get to me. Even though I tried to tell Chorong unnie that she said I’m just being paranoid and that Minah is actually nice. I was just walking in the school hallway when I heard Minah’s voice, “ yeah it’s working”, she said

“how long do you think it will take?” another voice said

“not long. I’m sure Chorong is falling for me already” Minah said

“I’m confused, what’s the plan again?” the voice said

“aiish pabo. The plan is get Chorong to fall in love with me, and then we’ll be together. Then she’ll leave that useless Bomi. Chorong is really smart, with her help I’m totally gonna go to the best university. Once I get into the university I'll dump her. Look I gotta go, I’m going to meet Chorong right now”

I knew it. I knew Minah was up to no good! I started running around the school looking for Chorong unnie. I finally found her sitting and reading.

“unnie! There’s something I have to tell you. Minah is just using you”, I said getting words out as fast as I could

“what are you talking about Bbom-ah? I think you’re wrong about her. I’ve gotten to know her this past 3 weeks and she’s really nice. She doesn’t seem like the Minah you told me about. Bomi-ah I was gonna wait til later to tell you this, but me and her are together now.”

“what… how come you’re only telling me now?” I asked barely getting the words out of my mouth. I can’t believe unnie is with her. How can this be.

“it happened about 3 days ago. She asked me to be her girlfriend and I said yes. Bomi-ah, I hope you can be happy for me. I really like her.”

“as much as I want to be happy for you, unnie, she’s just using you! She’s using you to hurt me”

“Bomi, look I’m sorry I haven’t been hanging out with you. If you’re upset about me hanging out so much with her just straight out tell me. You don’t have to make up lies. I know you hate her, but maybe you should give her chance”

Speak of the devil and the devil shall appear.

“hey Chorongie!” Minah said smiling innocently at unnie. ‘Chorongie’?! how dare she call my unnie that. only I can give her nickname.

She then faced me and nicely said “oh hey Bomi, what’s up?”

“yah! I know your plan. Get away from my unnie” I shouted

“what plan? What are you talking about?” Minah asked giving a confused look. Wow she’s a really great actress.

“I heard you talking in the hall. You’re just using Chorong unnie to get to me”

“what? I would never do that!” Minah said grabbing Chorong unnie’s hand, which made my blood boiled even more.

“Bbom-ah, maybe you should go home and think more of what you’re gonna say. Please, you’re not the type to make up lies so don’t start now” Chorong unnie said

“that’s right! I’m not the type to make up lies, so what I’m saying is the truth!”

“Chorongie, I’m sorry that I caused this between you and your best friend. I think I’m falling in love with you, but if us being together will destroy your friendship with your best friend then maybe we shouldn’t be together” Minah said letting go on Chorong unnie’s hand.

“yes! Get away from her!” I said grabbing unnie’s hand and pulling her close to me. The next thing that happened felt so unreal. I felt a slapped go across my face. At first I thought it was Minah, but it was Chorong unnie. My unnie who never hit me before just slapped me.

“Minah, I’m sorry for Bomi’s behavior. I think she just can’t accept the fact that we’re together. She has this hate for you that now I don’t understand why. I really do like you and I hope that we can stay together” Chorong unnie said grabbing Minah’s hand.

“unnie…you really don’t believe me?” I said holding my cheeks

“Bbom-ah stop it. Stop this nonsense. I’m sorry that I haven’t given you my attention, but you have to understand that I want to spend time with my girlfriend. I want to stay best friend with you, but I can’t do that if you keep hating and saying lies about my girlfriend” Chorong said in a calming voice. Although unnie was trying to calm me down I couldn’t take it anymore. What did Minah do to my unnie? I lost it. I threw a punch at Minah for using my unnie, for taking her away from me. I felt someone pushed me and at that time I knew it was Chorong unnie who pushed me.

“YAH! How could you?!” Chorong unnie said rushing to help Minah. At that moment my world came crashing down. Unnie chose my enemy over me. This was something I thought would never happen. I thought she would stand by my side no matter what. After 11 years of friendship how could she. Maybe I was just living in a delusional lie thinking that I was important to Chorong unnie. As if my world wasn’t crushed enough Chorong unnie looked me straight in the eyes and slapped me for the 2nd time and said “Bomi. Get out of here. Get out of my life, I never want to see or talk to you ever again.”