Check-Mate

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I love reading them and it just makes me so happy. :D I hope you enjoy this update as well. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You know, the phone isn't going to dial the number itself."

Tiffany ignored CL and just kept staring at her phone, as she huddled up against the bed's headboard. 

"Oh come on Tiffany!" CL groaned aloud and pulled up a chair to sit next to a helpless and hopeless Tiffany. "It's been 4 days! How long are you going to keep stalling?"

"Today's Sunday. And you have the day off from the company. Call the cafe and see if its open. And if you get lucky, you may even get to talk to Jessica. Your knight in shining armor." Hyosung said, swooning as she recalled what Jessica did at the club. 

"Hey. Tiffany has dibs on her." Hyorin poked Hyosung's invincible bubble, causing the latter to smile sheepishly at her. 

"At this rate, Tiffany is going to lose her chance with Jessica if she does nothing!" Hyorin exclaimed in frustration, before grabbing the phone from Tiffany, surprising the latter. 

"What are you doing?" Tiffany quickly jumped out of her bed, walking toward Hyorin who was dangling the phone in her hands with a mischievous grin. "Hyorin. Give me the phone." Tiffany commanded with a warning tone. 

"I'm doing you a favor. Hold her!!!" And with those last words to CL and Hyosung, Hyorin reached for Tiffany's wallet and took out the business card Sooyoung had given them. 

"No!!! Let me go!!" Tiffany yelled, as she tried to get past CL and Hyosung who were now just blocking her path since they failed in holding her down. Tiffany sure is strong when she's angry. "Don't you dare Hyorin!!"

Hyorin only hummed and dialed the cafe's number. 

"Hyorin!! I'm going to kill you!!!" Tiffany's eyes widened in fear when she saw Hyorin's finger inches away from the 'call' button. And because of that, she literally jumped through CL and Hyosung, only to be pushed back. But she wasn't going to give up. 

"Give me the phone!!" 

Hyorin walked forward to Tiffany, smiled at her, pushed the call button and turned the speaker on. 

"Yah!!" Tiffany angrily tried kicking Hyorin only to have the latter block every attempt. "I'm going to tear you apart!!!"

All of them were literally being so loud that they didn't even hear the other voice from the other line. Luckily, before the other line could hang up, Hyorin muttered a quick apology and handed Tiffany the phone. 

"Are you crazy?" Tiffany hissed, only to earn a shrug from Hyorin. 

"Better answer now or regret."

Tiffany looked at CL and Hyosung, both giving Tiffany an encouraging nod.

"Hello? If this is a prank, I'm going to hang up now." A woman's voice retorted from the other line.

"Wait!!" Tiffany frantically yelled into the phone, earning a groan from the other line and laughter from CL, Hyosung, and Hyorin. Tiffany glared at her friends who literally fell to the bed and floor laughing before clearing her voice to talk. 

"Uh-I'm sorry about earlier. Is this Cafe Ice?"

"Yes. It is. How may I help you?"

Tiffany looked to her friends, on what she should say next. Hyosung pointed at her wristwatch, while mouthing ' time'. Tiffany understood right away. 

"Yes, how late are you opened today?"

"Until 5pm."

"I see. So...uh-"

CL quickly jogged up to Tiffany with the business card and pointed to Jessica's name. Of course! Tiffany felt so dumb!

"Do you guys cater?"

"Yes ma'am. Any occassion."

"Really? That's great. So if I want catering, do I need to speak to your boss?"

"Well, usually the workers just take the orders. But if there are any concerns or specific questions, you can speak to my boss."

“Who is your boss? I just want to know so that I know who to ask for.”

“Of course. Her name is Jessica Jung.”

"Is your boss in today then?" Tiffany asked, holding her breath and so was CL, Hyosung and Hyorin. Tiffany never thought that just waiting for an answer can be so frustrating.

"Today? Yes she is."

Tiffany never felt happier while her friends began jumping around the room clapping their hands and giving Tiffany happy nudges. 

"Okay. Thank you." Tiffany then hung up and looked at her friends with a lop-sided smile before she was pulled in for a jumping circle. 

"Thank me later. Let's go get your girl." Hyorin proclaimed before opening Tiffany's humongous closet. 

--------------------------------------------------------

"Okay Tiffany. You can do this Hwaiting!!." Tiffany stood outside of Cafe Ice with a determined face, even though she was feeling so nervous already. She's never done this before. She was usually the one getting chased or asked out. Tiffany took a deep breath before entering the rather busy cafe. 

"Good afternoon. Welcome to Cafe Ice." One of the employees greeted her with a smile and bow. "If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask."

"Hello. And-" Tiffany looked at the employee's name tag. "-thank you Soyu." She replied with a small smile. 

"You're welcome."

"Oh. Soyu?"

"Yes?"

"Is your boss, Jessica Jung, here?"

"She is. Did you want to talk to her?"

"No. Thank you."

Instead of sitting down right away or ordering, Tiffany decided to tour the place. She's done some research on this place and it's got very positive reviews and ratings. Everything from customer service to the food, drinks and mood of the restaurant was well liked. The place didn't have too much decorations nor did it have too little. The structure reflected that of modern times but it still had tint of vintage. And the cafe was in a place bustling with young people and sometimes, elderly folks who have come to just chat or read.

The cafe just had a warm and inviting atmosphere overall. Tiffany smiled to herself. This place was definitely the opposite of its name. 

"Excuse me."

That voice...

Tiffany turned around to see none other than Kwon Yuri. 

"Yuri!"

"Oh! It's you." Yuri set down the tray she was holding onto the counter before shaking hands with Tiffany. "Tiffany right? What a surprise."

Tiffany put a strand of her hair behind her ear and smiled at Yuri. "Yeah. Sooyoung gave me the business card."

"Oh... in that case, you're here to see Jessica." Yuri said with a sly smile, while Tiffany shook her in denial. She didn't want to look desperate!

"Hey. It's okay. Sooyoung and I had actually thought that you wouldnt' come."

"Really?" Tiffany was quite surprised. They wanted her to come?

"Hey Yuri. Can you go get some more-Oh. Who's this?" Sooyoung came out from the kitchen looking for Yuri only to be surprised with the presence of Tiffany. "Tiffany right?"

"Yeah. That's me."

"Oh my god!!! You're here to see Jessica right?" Sooyoung whispered with a grin, making Tiffany a little uncomfortable. "Right?"

"I just wanted to visit this cafe. Since you gave me the business card." Tiffany lied, faking a smile. 

"Oh please. You can't lie to me. We can see right through you." 

"Really! I'm not here for her." Tiffany continued to lie, waving her hands in front of her.

"Oh." Yuri said dejectedly. "Okay then. That's good since Jessica's not here right now."

"What? Where is she?"

"She's not here today."

"What?! But I was told she's here! That's why I came!!!" Tiffany confessed her true intention and immediately regretted it when Yuri and Sooyoung began to laugh out loud. Not to mention the sharp stare that she received from other people in the cafe.

"Oh my god...that was epic!" Sooyoung said amist her laughter, while clapping her hands unaware of the stares that she was attracting from customers. 

"Always works." Yuri added and high-fived Sooyoung. 

"You guys are horrible." Tiffany bitterly remarked. "Fine. I'm here to see Jessica. Where is she?" No need to play nice or pretense anymore. At least not with Yuri and Sooyoung.

"Now that's more like the Tiffany we remember." Yuri retorted with a satisfied smile before picking up the tray of dirty plate and cups that she had placed on the counter earlier. "Sooyoung will keep you company for now. I have to bring this into the kitchen before Jessica returns. I don't want to get into trouble."

"Where did Jessica go?" Tiffany looked at Sooyoung who had taken a seat on the bar stool. 

"She had an appointment with someone. She should be back soon. Don't worry."

"I'm not worried. Just curious." 

"Tell me. Do you like Jessica?" Sooyoung leaned closer with a grin, causing Tiffany to lean back in reflex. "Hm? Because I only gave you the card if that's the case."

"If I wasn't interested, would I be here right now? Instead of a high-end restaurant?. Not to sound conceited or anything but I'm a very popular woman." Tiffany stated, being prideful and honest.

"I'm sure you are." 

Tiffany's eyes widened upon hearing that voice while Sooyoung's smile grew into a full grin. Tiffany gulped and slowly turned around, only to come face to face with Jessica. Tiffany just stared at Jessica while the latter did the same.

"Jessica!!!" Sooyoung spoke first, jumping down from her seat and onto Jessica. "Look who came to your cafe today. Quite a surprise right?!"

Jessica looked at Tiffany again with a blank expression, arms crossed across her chest. She raised an eyebrow after examining Tiffany from head to toe. Meanwhile, Tiffany couldn't help but feel so humiliated. Not only is it possible that Jessica doesn't remember her but now Jessica must think she is some kind of conceited brat.ugh! Wait a minute...why does she even care so much? It shouldn't matter, right?

Wait...she must remain cool and calm. Just smile...give Jessica your infamous eyesmile. That will charm her and Jessica will be helpless. So Tiffany did just that. Eyesmile...check. Bow...check. Cute wave...check. 

"Ah..." Jessica began,walking closer to Tiffany. 

"Now I got her!" Tiffany happily thought to herself.

Listen to Theme of False Emperor (Running Man) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYHdy7Tpvw

"Thank you for coming. If you need any help, feel free to ask any of the workers." Jessica merely muttered before bowing to Tiffany. "Sooyoung. I need to talk to you. Bring Yuri too. I'll be in my office."

"Bwhol?!!!!" Tiffany's so-called victory shattered before her very eyes...such a sad thing indeed....She was speechless and apalled!!

And with those last words, Jessica just walked right past Tiffany, as if she was invisible. No..even worse. As if she was no one!!! Was Jessica not at all affected by her charms?!!!  Well, Tiffany is a customer but not really one since she's only here to see Jessica. So....damn it!!

Tiffany was confused. How can Jessica not remember her?! Even if not her name, at least her face.How can anyone not remember her?!

Tiffany looked at Sooyoung for answers only to have Sooyoung mouth a 'I don't know' before following Jessica.

But Tiffany held Sooyoung's arm and turned her around. "Yah! Where do you think you're going?"

"Jessica said she needs to talk to me. If I don't go, I'll be in alot of trouble."

"You can't just go! I came here to see Jessica but she doesn't even remember me!"

"Hm...I don't understand that too. Jessica has a very good memory." Sooyoung tapped her chin and looked down. "Very suspicious indeed."

"Argh!" Tiffany let go of Sooyoung. "Look Sooyoung." She turned Sooyoung so that they were now facing each other. Tiffany forced a smile, a bit creepy though,  before taking a hold of Sooyoung's shoulders. "I came here to talk to Jessica and I want you to help me. I did not dress up to only go back home empty-handed. Do you hear me?" Tiffany hissed, biting her lips, not wanting her irritation to crack on the surface.

"Uh-huh."

"So you and Yuri are going to bring Jessica to me. Understood? I don't take no for an answer."

"Tiffany."

"Yes?"

"You're scaring me."

Tiffany released her hold on Sooyoung and chuckled out of embarrassment. "Sorry. Just bring Jessica back to me so I can talk to her." She said, much softer this time. 

"See. Couldn't you have just asked nicely instead of going all 'creep and crazy' on me." Sooyoung muttered before running off, screaming for Yuri in the kitchen. Tiffany will just have to wait in the meantime. She's Tiffany Hwang Miyoung. How can Jessica not even spare her a second glance? Let alone be charmed!!

--------------------------------------------------------

Jessica's discussion with Yuri and Sooyoung didn't even last for more than 10 minutes before they decided to end it themselves. 

"Alright Jessica! I think you already have your answer."

Jessica looked at them with a puzzled look. "No I don't. I still need your opinion on the kinds of pastries that I should bake and bring to the Kim Corp.'s annual party."

"But we did tell you." Yuri countered with a whine. 

"Yuri. All that you said was, and I quote you on this, is: "Jessica. Can you not just do it?""

"As for Sooyoung." Jessica turned to look at a giggling Sooyoung with a serious face. "All you said was, and I quote you on this too, is: "I'm bored. Must you really talk about work right now? I'm hungry too.""

Both Sooyoung and Yuri gave Jessica a nervous smile before doing the peace sign with their fingers. 

Jessica shook her head. "Alright. Something is up with the both of you. Usually when I ask you two for your opinion, you're serious. So what's going on?"

"Oh Jessica. You're just too smart." Yuri complimented before draping an arm around Jessica's shoulder. "You need a break you know? You're always working."

"I work to survive."

"Precisely!!" Sooyoung clapped her hands and pointed a finger at Jessica. "You my friend, needs a social life. Work and no play makes Jessica an Elsa."

"Excuse me?" Jessica was quite offended. "I do have one.And don't degrade Elsa. I like her alot."

"A very boring life may I remind you." Yuri remarked, ignoring Jessica's glare. "You need someone who can embark with you on the wild side." Yuri spread her arms into the open space.

"Someone who knows how to have fun! Someone who can show you the other side of the coin!" Sooyoung exclaimed, slapping Jessica's back in the process.

"The only person that comes to my mind when you say the wild side is Tarzan. And the other side of the coin is either heads or tails." Jessica matter of factly replied, knowing that it will annoy her friends. And sure enough, it did. 

"Stop being a smart ." Sooyoung warned, holding up her fist. "Or you shall suffer greatly."

"This is about Tiffany huh?"

Sooyoung gasped and narrowed her eyes at Jessica. "I knew it!!! You were just pretending."

Yuri shook her head. "Tsk tsk Jessica. That is so cruel."

"I'm not being cruel at all. She said so herself that she's a very popular woman. I wouldn't want to waste her time with someone boring as myself." Jessica calmly retorted. "Besides, what difference does it make if I didn't talk to her?" 

"Jessica." Yuri looked at Jessica right in her eyes. "Be smart. What you did, was just rude."

"And she wasn't? Not just that, but she sounded pretty conceited to me. She literally insulted my cafe! Excuse me if my cafe is not some kind of high-end restaurant." Jessica imitated Tiffany's words with bitterness.

Sooyoung turned Jessica around and held her shoulders. "Look Jessica. It's not about you now. Most of the time I will agree with you but can you blame her? I mean, Tiffany is very beautiful. And is it really being conceited if its the truth? I thought you like girls who are out-spoken."

"Not when my cafe is a victim of such vicious degradation and lies! My cafe is quite popular and successful." But of course, Jessica's explanations were ignored. It didn't matter anymore.

"I agree with Sooyoung. At least Tiffany has self-confidence and isn't afraid to be honest. You need to apologize."

“After I finish reviewing this contract.”

“No! Right now!!”

“Why are you yelling Yuri?”

“What Yuri means is that you should do it now before Tiffany leaves.”

“Well, in that case, you and Yuri should go keep her company for the next few hours.”

“Jessica. You’re not a kid anymore. So stop being stubborn and just listen to what we say.” Sooyoung firmly stated, giving Jessica a serious look, meaning business.

Jessica couldn't believe her friends were actually lecturing her. She understood that maybe she was at fault (not really) but still, something is odd about Yuri and Sooyoung. And that is never good.

“You two are acting strange.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

Jessica looked at Yuri and then at Sooyoung. “You know what I mean Yuri. You and Sooyoung seem too...too happy.”

“Psh. Why do you say that?” Sooyoung asked, giving a nervous look to Yuri.

“You’re only defending Tiffany.”

“That’s because you were wrong!” Yuri countered adamantly, feeling apprehensive at Jessica's inquisitive eyes. “Right Sooyoung?”

“Right!”

“I merely treat others the way they make me feel. And that was what I did. But why are two so worked up? And what does it matter if I see Tiffany now or later? The both of you always talked to clients for me when I’m busy.”

“But Tiffany isn’t a client. She’s a customer.” Yuri reasoned.

“And customers don’t have the patience that clients have.” Sooyoung added.

“That’s good. I don’t want to apologize anyways. It was meant to be.” Jessica casually stated as she walked back to her desk, but was suddenly pushed out of place and dragged out of the office. “Yah!! Are you two crazy?!!!”

“You are going to apologize and have coffee with her to show your sincerity. And that’s final!!!” Sooyoung half-instructed and half-commanded as she continued to hold onto Jessica tightly.

“What?!! That’s a violation of my rights! Let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter