Why not?

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The news of Michelle's plan to manipulate and possibly, threaten, Soojin quickly spread like wildfire within their close circle of friends. 
 

No doubt everyone was shocked and angry with Michelle. Even Tiffany.

"Why didn't you tell me? I would have tried to come up with a solution to help you." Tiffany annoyingly inquires. " You can't just decide to play with someone's life to fix yours! That's wrong!!"

Michelle could only sigh in remorse and look away in guilt.. Michelle already felt horrible and worse, guilty beyond the point of forgiveness to herself. 
 

"Michelle. How long would you have hid this from me if Jessica didn't tell me? We are family. I would have helped you!!" Tiffany demanded for an anwer out of frustration and disappointment. "This goes against everything we have been taught. Do you think our parents would be happy of your actions after knowing what you had to do to save us?"
 

"Tiffany. I couldn't get you involve in my problems, especially with Seulgi. My actions are wrong but I was at my wits end. Seulgi would have destroyed our company and our family if I didn't do this." Michelle regretfully said, finally making eye contact with Tiffany. Michelle's eyes were teary and it made Tiffany's anger dissipate a bit.  " I admit that my reasons for approaching Soojin was wrong but as time went on, I got scared of confessing to Soojin. I got greedy and wanted to save our company and keep Soojin. I just didn't know how to save both!" Michelle cried into her hands, overwhelmed with all the emotions she has kept in for so long and the severity of the situation she was currently in.

Tiffany felt pity for her sister. As the oldest, Michelle always has more burden to carry in the family. And the expectations that were given to her, were immense. But that doesn't mean Michelle could use Soojin to fix her problem.

Tiffany sat next to Michelle and pulled her in for a warm hug. "Michelle. Learn from your mistake now and tell everyone what you just told me."

Michelle made eye contact with Tiffany. " everyone hates me. What's the point?"

Tiffany  held her hand, the warmth and forgiveness coursing through that one gesture. And with a reassuring smile, Tiffany tightened her hold on Michelle's hands.

"The point is that this time, you won't be alone." 

-----------------------------------------

Next afternoon...

Once Michelle finished telling her story, she sighed and looked at all the people in her living room. Everyone except Choi Soojin.
 

"Wow..." Sooyoung was the first to break the silence, looking around the circle of spectators in utter surprise as she continued on. "... I thought things like that only happen in movies or dramas."

Sunny rolled her eyes and smacked Sooyoungs arm, making the other yelp in pain. "Be serious Choi Sooyoung! There are a lot at stake here!!"

"I am serious!" Sooyoung retaliated with a pout, as she rubbed the stinging area gently. "Are you sure that there is no way you can win against Kang Seulgi?"

Michelle shook her head in surrender. " Its either Byul Enterprise or Choi Corp that has to make the sacrifice. If I can't convince Soojin to work with Seulgi or if I even tell Soojin of our deal, Seulgi will drag me down with her."

"Hold up." Hyomin firmly asserted, making eye contact with Michelle. "I want to make sure that I have understood everything correctly." She reviewed the documents Michelle gave them at the beginning of the meeting and eyes narrowed in concentration.

"Basically, when you and Kang Seulgi were still dating, you helped invest in a few commercial properties she wanted. And now you have joint ownership of a small company specializing in-" Hyomin grabbed another packet of document to skim for her question, "-medical supplies?"

"Yes."

"But when you two broke up, you removed yourself from that partnership and didn't seek any kind of debt collection from Seulgi? So you should have no connections to her at all then Michelle."

"That's right Hyomin. But as I have said, Kang Seulgi managed to still link my name with those commercial properties that are under government investigation. No doub t she had this planned from the beginning and Soojin recently garnered her attention."

Jessica reaches out for the documents as well and reads up on that small business. "And the problem with this medical supply business is that Kang Seulgi has managed to somehow, fraudulently claim you as her partner amist the ongoing suspicious activities and investigations of her company being linked to illegal activity? " 
 

"Thats right." 

Jessica nodded her head and continued to read the documents. "Kang Seulgi has been suspected of illegal slavery, defected products and involvement with the black market?"

Jessica put the papers down, released a heavy sigh and then stood up. Tiffany stood up as well, worried upon seeing Jessica's troubled expression. "What's wrong Sica? I know it's bad but, is there no solution?"

Jessica smiles at Tiffany, places an arm on her waist and both sits down again. "I need more information. Thats all."

"Why does Kang Seulgi want a partnership with Choi Corp. so desperately?" Yoona asked, not sure of the reason. "I'm aware that Kang Enterprise has had their share of hardships, but then why not just partner with Michelle's company if she has all that allegations against the Hwang? It would be a done deal. Not just that, but Byul Enterprise has more than enoug connections and money to make all of Seulgi's problems disappear."

Yoona had a good observation. Seulgi has proven to be a manipulative, conniving, sly, evil woman. Why not just settle with Michelle if Seulgi was ready to blackmail Michelle into doing whatever she wants?

"Because she doesn't want an alliance." Yuri answered, making everyone look at her in anticipation as to what her reasons were for saying such thing. "Just listen to me." Yuri stood up, hands on her hips as she walked back and forth. "Kang Seulgi is not stupid. She knew about Soojins adoption so no doubt, she also knows about her company share."

Sooyoung clenched her fist In fury and banged the innocent table with it, surprising all but Jessica, Yuri and Sunny.

"THAT B*TCH IS PLANNING TO TAKE OVER CHOI CORP!!!"

"But- I mean, she can't just do that. She doesn't stand a chance against the Choi's!" Michelle's raised her voice and looked at Jessica for validation. "Right?"

Jessica sighed and rests her chin on her fingertips. " Sooyoung owns 20% and her parents own 24% of the company. Soojin owns 51%, gaining that extra 1% when grandfather Choi died. So it doesn't matter if Michelle succeeded or not with Soojin because Seulgi will force it. And if she has to get a partnership first before taking that 51%..."

"Wait. How did Soojin come to own such a huge share of the company?"

Jessica looked at Michelle as she spoke the next words, "Technically, Soojin is the eldest and there were other factors involved. But that is for another time. The most important thing at this moment is that Soojin might agree to Seulgi's terms and seal that partnership permanently."

Now this revelation defintely angered Michelle because it doesn't take a genuis to know the meaning of those words.

"You are telling me that Soojin will actually marry Kang Seulgi just to protect her birth origins?!! And follow Kang Seulgi's scheme to take over the company?!!" That's- that's ridiculous!" 
 

"Why not? Is it More ridiculous than you handing over Soojin to save yourself and your family?" Sunny calmly challenged, stirring up the guilt in Michelle. "I am not trying to add oil to the fire Michelle. But you have to know that Soojin wont let any harm come to her loved ones, even if it means she has to sacrifice herself."

"You need to understand the repercussions of people finding out about Soojin's adoption.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter