Hands

Can I Be Sure That This Is Love?

 

Short update! Thanks to all who subscribed and commented!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The bottle of mineral water slipped off my firm grip when I saw her leaning on Key. She looked so fragile sleeping serenely like a statue, the only proof she was real was that frown that kept appearing on her pale face. Her breaths were caught in nightmares that robbed her peaceful rest, as if she was constantly running from something. If I were to walk ahead and touch her lightly, her eyes will open to wake, and I would be able to see the fear painted in her brown irises.

Key did not flinch at the sound of impact the bottle made when it first fell onto the ground. I was standing less than a mere foot away from him, but his attention was only reserved for her. Whenever soft strands of her hair fall, he gently tucks it behind her ear so as to not obstruct his view. With Key’s designer black coat on her, it seemed like she was more a priority to him than his clothes, and everyone knows that clothes are number one to him.

“Minho-hyung, where have you been-?” I heard Taemin call out clear but softly from behind me.

I turned around and put my index finger on my lips, signaling from him to be quiet. He stopped and looked behind me, witnessing the scene I’ve just seen. The bored expression immediately turned emotionless while continuing his stride towards me. Tapping sounds of his shoes were so loud in the silent room that it was impossible if Key wasn’t alerted. I didn’t look back to check, I deemed him sharp enough to notice us both now.

“Why were you looking for me?”

“Father says it’s time to go.” He said harshly, with no consideration of the sleeping girl. I shook my head as Taemin walked pass me, right to the both of them. Key didn’t look shocked to see us, calmly lifting his head with his hands still on hers. Taemin’s right fist however, was tightly clenched, conjuring energy from every single cell in his body. My gloved hands desperately wanted to push my two brothers out and away from her. I’m sure our hands were helpless, so helpless to carry out our mental demands at that time.

The only thing I managed to do was to stop both of them when they wanted to awake her, before Key’s lips could open, before the right hand of the youngest could rest on her flesh. Even if it were nightmares, I wouldn’t let them deprive her of dreams.

“No,” I said lowly, “Let her sleep. I’ll carry her.”

I did not wait for replies from either of them. She was deeply in slumber. Moving her arms and limbs a little didn’t cause her to stir at all. Her weight was definitely lighter than when I first encountered her. There’s something in my heart that made me sad, sad that she was breaking; then I was glad, glad that I took her away this time. I cast aside a crazy man’s mixed emotions, putting on the mask I had always worn.

As I carried her into the limo, nobody protested or made any comment. The exhaustion in her has spread throughout the car, especially my father and Onew-hyung, who contributed as much as he could for her. Taemin’s uneasiness did not cease to disintegrate, in fact infecting Jonghyun and Key like a virus. Every time I bent my head down, I saw her sleeping soundly in my arms. Unconsciously, I smirked. Then, I heard a voice in my head telling me to enjoy this moment while it last.

To me, it was the shortest one hour journey I have ever experienced. No matter how much I look at her, how much I delighted in feeling her warm body depending on mine for support, it was never enough. In that period of time, I noticed a lot of things about her outer appearance. Like her smooth skin, it was naturally fair without any powder; rosy veins that resembled thin branches of red colored her cheeks when examined closely. Her double eyelids weren’t that prominent, which reminded me of the eye smile she shared with us during our first dinner. Tracing her slender fingers, I wondered if she played any musical instrument. Not forgetting her natural curls- her hair was a long, practical length just touching her shoulders.

Arching closer, I was even able to make out the smell of incense that stuck on her after a whole day of praying. But then, I already knew her signature scent - citrus with a wreath of flowers (tulips to be precise) – from that day when she fell on me. She had apologized so ashamedly because she thought I was mad at her by being cold, when in actual fact all I wanted was to be close with her, but I can’t. I’m afraid that I will let my thoughts venture over the barrier that she was just being hospitable.

Disembarking was like the of the fairy tale Cinderella; the only difference is that I won’t ever recover my princess like the prince in the story. After tonight, I will have to revert back to my old self once more. She won’t even know that we were only centimeters apart again, closer and symbolic of our first encounter.

“Just to let you know, Min Nana will be staying with us.” Father broke out suddenly. The mentioned person cuddled closer, reacting in her sleep. Jonghyun asked only what was appropriate when he saw the elder already walking into the mansion, impatient to retire before work the next day.

“How long?”

“Permanently,” was his only response.

After bowing behind him, the remaining four pair of eyes transfixed on me, or rather the figure in my arms. They looked confused, not knowing what to do by the sudden ‘intrusion’ thrown into their lives. Out of common courtesy, I told Onew that I will be putting her in bed before gathering in our common room to enter whatever discussion they may engage in. He gave his unneeded approval and I excused myself, climbing up the stairs alone.

I laid her body down on the bed and adjusted her pillow, lastly putting the sheets over her. Untying the hemp ribbon knotted, I left it on the bedside table while running my fingers through her hair once before I froze and retracted my hands, telling myself that I shouldn’t be doing this to her and myself.

Why did you enter my life and make me sink into this side of me? I don’t know what to do anymore now that I’ll be seeing you everyday. How am I supposed to carry on normally when all I am engrossed in is wanting to know everything about you?

My hands desperately want to reach out for yours, but I fear that it may be someone else’s that holds your hands. And your hands, they have already stolen what I’ve been trying to keep locked up for so long. I’m scared and afraid. I hate it. I hate your hands for opening that lock so easily and stealing my heart away.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

His hands were on her for so long. Too long. Every time interval that passed during then made it harder for me to restrain myself from inflicting damage on something. Now, knowing that Minho is bathing while Nana is alone in her room, it reassured me to slowly regain my sanity. I threw the wet towel across as soon as I finished drying my hair, feeling better as the frustration was lost in the momentary force.

Nana, sleeping under the same roof as me, everyday starting from today.

I chuckled at the thought when Father’s answer to my enquiry about her residency proved satisfactory to me. I suspect not only to me, but to all of them, too. If my predictions do not disappoint me, she will also be attending the same school as all of us. Until then, they will not let me near her using Se Kyung as the reason.

Se Kyung, hearing her name now has no effect whatsoever on me. I thought that she was the one initially, when seeing her made my heart flutter. She wasn’t an easy one as there was immense pride and power within her being. Sometimes, she would tease and imply that we had gotten closer and then when we were close enough to be an item, she distances herself again. I thought she was playing hard to get, but this game eventually stretches out for one long year with no winner, yet.

But she, she doesn’t make my heart flutter. She makes my heart pump with a beat that course through the blood in my body. I don’t understand when the person I have wanted to pursue all along was the famous Shin Se Kyung. When I saw them showering her with concern, I got so worked up and battled myself to hide it. I convinced myself it was just my attention-seeking nature, but that wouldn’t make sense if I got jealous of her, when I myself only wanted her attention.

I was tempted to turn the brass knob to exit and enter her room. The only thing stopping me was Se Kyung’s name and Onew’s warning when he saw my intentions. I took his advice to completely shut my brain off all conflicts that occured within today.

“Don’t disturb her. She’s tired after getting her hands full on this.”

Her hands. I wonder if they were as hot as mine now, or as cold as when I first kissed it.