Lean on my shoulder

Can I Be Sure That This Is Love?

An ENORMOUS SORRY for the long time no update. Been busy taking in all the Bio, Chem, Physics and Add Maths X(. I hope this chapter doesn't , as I'm battling my eyelids at 1a.m. Also I have no knowledge in funerals. I have never attended one in my life. Finally a HUGE THANKS to everyone who has been patiently waiting for me.

Disclaimer: I do not own the picture above or SHINee.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In her apparent sorrow, she told me quietly that she hasn’t been to any funerals before, with the one and sole exception being her late mother’s. But then that seemed like a long time ago. She was still very young, so she couldn’t really recall faces that attended, the rituals, rites or anything that went on during the ceremony.

I don’t think she should ever remember. I don’t want her to. Not even this time.

On the first morning, I saw her walking out from her room wearing hemp garments with a small ribbon made from the same material on her hair. She looked up to me and threw us a weak smile, probably trying to reassure us that she’s fine and wouldn’t break down or do anything stupid. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one ready to lend a shoulder to her whenever she felt like she needed it. She didn’t cry once in front of us, but yet her eyes were red, swollen and tired.

Min Nana sat down diligently and followed orders from the ritual master, and then people started to enter and offer their condolences. The room reeked of death, sympathy and the yellow chrysanthemum flowers that were placed all over. With no relatives to offer a helping hand, the situation looked like all burdens were upon her thin shoulders. Father helped too of course, but it was her who did the endless bowing that must have taken a strain on her back.

There were a lot of big names that attended the funeral on that day. According to tradition, it should be held for a lasting of three days. I’m not sure about how Father managed to shorten it to one, all the more convenient and less taxing on her then, I thought. In those eighteen hours, I saw a lot of familiar faces that I think she was foreign to. Their eyes held no emotions whatsoever. Those corporate directors may just be thinking about her assets, though Min Shin Hyun was considered an average. Among those I knew were-

The Park Family – A family which doesn’t dwell much on political or economy power. They were passive in trading and business, active in charity and community services, immense in wealth and discreet in showing it about. Good-natured people they are, probably one of the four families I can click with without any problems.

The Shin Family – Supremely reigning in all fields especially the manufacturing industry. I heard that they will resort to use any dirty tactics to obtain what they want and cover their scandals to upkeep their reputation. Rumor says that they hold most power within the underground. I don’t have a personal opinion about them because I’ve never been involved with them, although Jonghyun does fancy the second daughter of the family, I think.

The Lee Family – Own companies that are very profitable. Their branches are known worldwide through their effective marketing and promotion. They are prominent not only in Asia, but also in European countries. So you can see almost how big they are. The current CEO has three sons. I’m only familiar with the eldest that’s currently studying in my school. If I can recall correctly, his name is Lee Joon.

Of course, these three must be shocked seeing my Father getting so involved in an affair. Just to let you know, my father isn’t exactly the type that likes to really, enthusiastically participate, although he does firmly make his name known to others up to the point that he can be considered ‘scary’ as well.

“A great loss,” I heard someone say. “Min Shin Hyun was an intelligent man.”

Nana bowed for what seemed like the eight-hundredth time and kept silent. As usual, my father answered on her behalf.

“Yes, indeed. He was always so humble and dedicated.”

"So, who are you going to live with now, little one?” The man kindly asked. She lifted her head and looked towards my father, then answered quickly with her hoarse voice as if she didn’t want to depend on anyone.

“I-I don’t know.”

“Well then, you are welcomed to stay with me! I know this is the first time we met, and oh- how rude of me, I’ve haven’t even introduced myself!” He extended his hand. “My name is Park Hyun Jun.” The middle-aged man spoke delightedly.

She shook his hand and smiled weakly again.

“Don’t worry, you won’t be alone. I have two daughters and a son around your age too-“

“Thanks for the offer, but I’ll be her guardian from now on.” Father cut in abruptly.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My dry eyes widened at ahjusshi’s statement.

I saw him standing behind Park Hyun Jun-sshi, and from his expression, he heard what his father said about taking me under his wings. His eyes couldn’t hide his shock, and I think neither can mine. I mentally scolded myself for not being able to find words to speak out.

“Oh, I see. How unfortunate, I’ve always wanted another daughter.” He stated with a disappointed tone in his next sentence. “If it’s with Soo Bin, I daresay that you’ll be in great care.”

“Of course,” ahjusshi replied diplomatically.

“Well then, I better be going. My condolences again. I hope you’ll recover soon.”

“Thank you.”

As it was reaching midnight, I was told that the mourning will end soon. People were carrying and putting stuff away. It was quiet again. When I saw the picture of my father being carried further and further away from my sight, it felt like he was leaving me all over again. The corner of the empty hall was like a barrier where I sat there like a stone, unable to stand up and walk towards the photo. And then the suffocating feeling returned. I hugged my knee closer towards my face, trying to stop the tears from flowing out.

Suddenly, I felt someone crouching and sitting beside me. I bit my lip so that no sob would be heard, taking a minute to ensure that the tears are stopped before lifting my tired neck to see who it is. There was a box in his left hand, and a cup of something on the right.

“Hungry?” he asked softly. I shook my head and wiped my face with the excessive sleeve. There’s just something in my throat that forces itself close and not succumb to anything at all. The same goes for every part of my body. It’s not moving and functioning like they used to be.

“I’m sorry but you’ll have to eat something. You’ve never eaten or drank anything since yesterday.” He continued gently, opening the dinner box to reveal a simple meal inside. I shook my head stubbornly again like a mute when I saw the rice with minced meat and gravy. He ignored me, putting down the food and picking up the cup, bringing it towards my mouth.

“Come.” Key said again, while putting one hand to support my back. He must have felt like he was feeding a child with a food disorder, yet his patience at that time was unlimited. He didn’t frown when I did, or shook his head and scold me when I tried to push away the drink.

As he repeatedly patted my back, I opened my trembling lips a little to gulp down the warm tea that was the content inside the paper cup. I felt my throat being hydrated again, and the liquid wetting my dry lips. He stopped and took the cup away from me when I tugged at his wrist. Soon he scooped the rice and gravy and proceeded to feed me.

Again, he didn’t say anything when I tried to deny the food once more. Even I was getting annoyed at myself. It’s just that I really have no appetite-

“Ah-“Key opened his mouth. Unknowingly I mimicked him. He took the chance to put the spoon in my mouth as I closed and silently munch on the food. Without realizing, I began to consume whatever food and drink that was fed to me alternately. He seemed to know when I would want the tea, or when to finally stop feeding me even when the rice is not finished yet.

“There, at least you have something in your stomach. I’m not so worried now.”

“T-Thank you, Key-sshi. W-What about you?” I mumbled, watching him put the box and cup into the plastic bag.

“I’ve ate already just an hour ago with the rest. Minho told me to call you, but I figured you must be tired,” he smiled.

“Yes, I am…”

“Father says that he still has to settle the bill and things. We’ll only be departing at about one. I’m afraid that you won’t be able to last until then. I suggest you sleep a while first. I’ll call you when it’s time to go.”

The word sleep was so tempting to me that it almost worked like a lullaby when Key spoke it. I nod and leaned my head on the wall. I didn’t care if it was awfully uncomfortable. He shifted closer and I felt his palm on my neck, pulling me closer towards his shoulder.

“Here, use my shoulder.” He whispered faintly. I was already asleep.

“Good night, my poor girl.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, can you guess who I included in the Park Family, The Shin Family and The Lee Family? XD