Memories

Don't wanna let you go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae returned quite early to his apartment from the reunion. He would love to spend more time with everyone; especially with Eunhyuk. However, since it was really late the twins were tired and irritated so he decided that the best thing to do was to go back home. When he finally parked in front of his apartment, he went out of the car and then opened the back door to get the twins out. A small smile came to his lips when he saw that Ryeowook was already soundly sleeping and Kyuhyun was barely keeping himself awake. He let out a happy sigh and then he shook his head. It was always like this; no matter where they went or what happened Kyuhyun would always watch over Ryeowook, even though he was the younger twin. Donghae chuckled and gently ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair, making the small boy look up at him.

Kyuhyun yawned and rubbed his eyes with his small hands. “Daddy,” he said and his sleepy eyes found Donghae’s. “Wook is sleeping,” he said and pointed to his sleeping brother.

“Yes, I can see that,” said Donghae and gave his son a warm smile. He then undid Kyuhyun’s seat belt and then waited that he climbed out of the car. Once Kyuhyun was standing next to him, Donghae carefully took the older one into his arms and took him out of the car. “Come on, let’s go inside,” he then said quietly, because he didn’t want to wake up the sleeping boy. Kyuhyun looked at his dad and then nodded, slowly following him inside.

When they were finally inside, Donghae carried Ryeowook into the twin’s bedroom, which used to be his studio, and then placed his son onto the bed. He quickly changed the boy’s clothes and then covered him with the bed covers and let him sleep. Once he was done with Ryeowook, he stepped outside of their room and found Kyuhyun in the bathroom.

“Daddy look, I brushed my teeth!” chirped Kyuhyun proudly and showed his white teeth to his father.

The man ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair again and nodded. “That’s a good boy,” he complimented him and he chuckled after seeing a huge smile coming onto the younger twin’s lips. He then picked him up and carried him into the living room. Kyuhyun giggled when the man lifted him up and started playing with the zipper of Donghae’s shirt.

“Did you have fun today at the party?” asked Donghae, because he had a really hard time convincing Kyuhyun that evening that they were going to have fun at the reunion. Even though Kyuhyun was a good kid, he could get really stubborn machivious at times. But luckily, Donghae managed to change Kyuhyun’s mind with a little help of Ryeowook. Donghae let out a sigh and closed his eyes, shaking his head. It was actually pretty funny that he as an adult couldn’t get a four year old to listen to him. Well, he shouldn’t be too surprised because the only person that Kyuhyun listened to was Ryeowook.

“Uh huh, it was fun. I like daddy’s new friend,” said Kyuhyun and happily clapped.

“My new friend?” asked Donghae confused and tilted his head, but then soon realised that Kyuhyun must’ve been talking about Eunhyuk. “Oh you mean Eunhyuk?” asked Donghae and felt how his face heated up a little.

“Hyuk is really cool!” said Kyuhyun and his big eyes lit up, making Donghae chuckle. It amazed him that Kyuhyun liked Eunhyuk, because the boy usually didn’t like strangers. “He saved Wook!” said Kyuhyun and then yawned again.

“Yeah, I suppose he is cool,” said Donghae with a huge smile and then looked down. “Okay, it’s time for you to go to sleep,” he then added and surprisingly Kyuhyun nodded in agreement. He then picked Kyuhyun up and slowly carried him to his and Ryeowook’s bedroom. He placed the boy onto the bed, next to Ryeowook who was still sleeping. Donghae’s heart swelled with happiness as he continued to watch his two sons for a few more minutes and then he pressed a kiss to both of their foreheads and Kyuhyun kissed his father’s cheek before he pulled away and walked to the door.

“Daddy?” whispered Kyuhyun when Donghae was about to leave the room.

“Yes, what is it?”

“Tomorrow comes mommy?”

“Yes, she will come tomorrow,” said Donghae who suddenly remembered that it was Hyosung’s turn to take care of the twins for the whole week.

“Okay,” said Kyuhyun with a small voice and then yawned. “Good night.”

“Night, Kyuhyun. Sleep tight,” said Donghae and then closed the door.

He went into the living room and threw himself onto the sofa. After seeing Kyuhyun’s troubled face, all of good mood disappeared from Donghae’s heart. He knew it far too well how difficult their divorce was for the twins. And it wasn’t like he and Hyosung had a huge fight before the divorce. No, the divorce was really peaceful. Plus he and Hyosung were still really close friends and they would also spend a lot of time together and the twins loved that. At the start, the boys were still too young to know what divorce meant, but Donghae had a feeling that they slowly started to understand the meaning of that word.

Donghae knew that the boys were putting on brave faces in front of him and Hyosung, but deep inside he knew it that the divorce was hard on them. When they were a bit younger, they would constantly cry if one of them wasn’t with them. But now that they’ve grown a little, they came to understand that Hyosung and Donghae weren’t together all the time. Donghae felt a little bad about it, but there wasn’t anything that he could do about it. It was for the best that he and Hyosung got divorced and if they would continue to be married to each other, he knew that they would end up hating each other.

Donghae leaned his head back and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and let the memories fill his mind. He couldn’t believe it that it’s already been three years since they got divorced. But what he also couldn’t believe it was the fact that he had seen Eunhyuk that day and hanging out with him felt like as if no time had passed by. And knowing that his friend was going to spend the whole week in the town made everything even better. Donghae was excited because they had a lot of catching up to do. Just thinking about meeting with Eunhyuk the next day made his heart flutter with warmth and he smiled. Yes, it was great to have Eunhyuk back into his life, since he meant a lot to him.

Years that he spent without Eunhyuk around felt like decades. It really was painful knowing that it was his fault that Eunhyuk moved and Donghae wished that he did more to stop him from leaving. But at that moment he really didn’t know what to do. Plus stopping him to move would be a very selfish thing to do. But yeah, after his friend moved away he was completely broken and crushed. Donghae sighed and pushed his lips together.

* * * * Flashback * * * *

That day when Eunhyuk invited Donghae over to tell him that he was going to move, Donghae didn’t go straight home. He couldn’t. Instead, he spent a lot of time walking around the town, remembering all the good times he and Eunhyuk spent together. It seemed selfish to Donghae that the other one would just leave him like that. Just how did he expect him to live without him?! As he was slowly walking back home, he let the tears wet his face again and he didn’t even care that it started raining. He didn’t have an umbrella with him, but that didn’t matter. He let the rain drops mix with his hot tears.

He wanted to scream on top of his lungs, because the thought of losing Eunhyuk just like that was so painful. But instead, nothing came out of his mouth. Yes, he knew how Eunhyuk felt about him… but still he shouldn’t just choose a decision like that. Wasn’t it cowardly to run away from him just like this? Plus if he had feelings for his for such a long time, couldn’t just he deal with it just like he always did?! Donghae pushed his lips together and even then realised that he was the selfish one. He didn’t even realise how painful it must’ve been for Eunhyuk to watch him being happy with Hyosung. But were they really happy?! Donghae quickly shook his head, feeling angry at himself for even allowing himself to think like that. Of course they were happy; he loved her and she loved him… right?! He sighed, because he didn’t know what was happening anymore. In the end, he finally decided to go home where a very worried Hyosung was waiting for him.

“Where were you?!” asked Hyosung when her husband stepped into their apartment and he was shocked to see him like this. Not only that he was wet, but she could see that he was visibly upset and the anger suddenly disappeared from her body in a blink of an eye. “Donghae, what happened?” she then asked very calmly.

Donghae didn’t answer her back for quite some time. He first got changed into new, dry clothes and then slowly made his way into their living room, sitting down onto a couch and he hid his face into his palms. He didn’t really want to talk to her about it. She wasn’t… him. She wasn’t Eunhyuk. Hyosung, who was very worried by then, sat down next to him and placed a hand onto Donghae’s shoulder.

“Seriously, what happened? You’re making me worried,” said Hyosung.

“Eunhyuk,” he finally managed to say and then he looked at her. His heart felt heavy and he then looked away. Just looking at her worried expression was killing him with quilt. It was killing him that he slept with Eunhyuk on a day before their wedding and watching her being so worried about him really made the whole situation even worse. He hated himself that he gave into the temptation and he wished that he could be stronger at that time. But because he wasn’t, he hurt Eunhyuk and Hyosung… she just didn’t know it yet. He made a promise to himself that he will let her know what happened. But he didn’t know how.

“Yeah, you went over to his place, right? So what happened? Did you guys fight again?” she asked after a few minutes of silence.

Donghae slowly shook his head and hid his face into his palms again. “No, we didn’t fight.”

“They what happened? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

“I don’t want to talk about it now,” said Donghae and pushed Hyosung’s hand away, which was still resting on his shoulder. He really didn’t want to be with her at that moment, because he wished to be left alone. How couldn’t she see that?! “At least not with you. I’m sorry, but… can you please just leave me alone?”

“But Donghae, I am your wife! You are supposed to talk about your problems with me. You can’t just--” started Hyosung, but was interrupted again.

Donghae just shook his head and sighed. Even though he would talk about it with Hyosung, there was nothing that could make that situation better. It wasn’t like he didn’t want to tell her, it’s just that if he would talk about it that would make what was going to happen real and he didn’t want it to be real. “I can’t. Please leave me alone.”

“I just wanted to help,” said Donghae’s wife with a small voice and he could tell that he hurt her. Hyosung sighed and shook her head. She then wrapped her arms around Donghae’s trembling body and pulled him in for a hug. Donghae relaxed in her arms and even though the hug felt nice, all that he could think about was Eunhyuk and how good his arms felt around him. His eyes shot back opened and he could feel how his heart started racing. What the hell was that just now?

Then they just spent a few moments like that, just sitting in silence. Hyosung waited patiently for Donghae to calm down a bit and hoped that maybe then he could tell her what was wrong. Meanwhile, Donghae was trying to imagine how things would be without Eunhyuk around. Just with who was he going to hang out? Besides Eunhyuk, he didn’t really have any other real friends. There was still Shiwon, but still… he wasn’t Eunhyuk. Donghae felt how his heart became heavier again and the tears started gathering in his eyes, making his vision blurry and by that point he didn’t have any real strength to hold them back. He looked down, because he didn’t want Hyosung to see that he was crying. However, when his body started trembling more and when he let out a loud sob Hyosung only pulled him tighter to himself and Donghae’s heart ached at that. She was being so kind and good to him, but he just… betrayed her. At that point everything became too hard for Donghae to hold it in, so he decided to let her know what was going on.

“Eunhyuk is going to move,” he said with a small, broken voice.

“Why? And to where?” asked Hyosung quietly, because she finally understood the reason behind Donghae’s sudden sadness.

“He didn’t say why,” lied Donghae, because he still didn’t want her to know how Eunhyuk felt about him. “And he didn’t even tell me where he was going to move. He just said that he was going to move tomorrow and that’s it,” he went on by saying. His chest tightened as he said that and pressed his fingers into his arm hard.

“Really?” asked Hyosung unbelievably. “But how… I mean… I don’t even know what to say, Donghae. I am so sorry to hear this, I know how much he means to you,” she added, because she was also as shocked as Donghae was by that point.

“Nothing, there’s nothing else to say,” he said sadly and then pulled back from their hug. Donghae then wiped his tears away and sniffled, shrugging and looking away from Hyosung. “I really want to be left alone, Hyosung. C-can you please leave?” he then slowly asked, because he really needed to be alone.

“Yeah, of course,” she slowly said and stood up. She looked down at Donghae with a worry in her eyes, but she didn’t say anything anymore. Before leaving Donghae alone in their living room, she gently kissed Donghae’s forehead and gave him a warm smile when he looked up at her. “If you need anything, I’ll be in the bedroom.”

“Okay,” said Donghae and just before Hyosung left he grabbed her wrist and stood up. “Thank you. I love you,” he said softly and kissed her gently. Hyosung returned him a soft kiss and then chuckled as she walked into their bedroom.

“I love you too.”

* * * * End of flashback * * * *

Donghae sighed and shook his head as if he was trying to wake himself from his thinking. He looked at the clock and was surprised to see that it was already one in the morning. But even though he had a long day that day he just didn’t feel tired or anything. He knew that the reason for that was Eunhyuk’s presence. He smiled and then took out his phone, searching for Eunhyuk’s number in his contact list. Before he left the reunion with the twins, he made sure that he got his new phone number and just thinking about having it was enough to make his heart flut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter