Sick

Don't wanna let you go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae yawned and then lazily opened his eyes. He then rolled over to his side and took his phone into his hands, checking the time. When he noticed that he had a few extra minutes, he smiled to himself and then happily put the phone down. He then hugged his pillow and buried his face into it, inhaling deeply. It felt good knowing that it wasn't time to get up yet. He smiled, feeling excited about the fact that he and the twins were going to give Eunhyuk a surprise visit later that week. The twins were also very excited about that and Donghae even had to draw a circle on the calendar, to mark on which day they were going over to Eunhyuk's.

After a couple more minutes Donghae got up into sitting position and covered himself with bed covers, not really ready to leave the comfort and the warmth of his bed. He yawned again and then rubbed his eyes, looking around his room and thinking about all the things that he had to take care of that day. He then remembered that he would have to take Ryeowook to the doctor later that day because the boy hasn't been feeling quite well for the past few days. Ryeowook had a slight fever and a sore throat. Donghae knew that it was probably just a normal cold, but just to make sure that Ryeowook was fine before their visit to Eunhyuk, Donghae decided to take his son to the doctor.

Sighing, Donghae decided not to get up yet and he lied down again. But his peace was soon interrupted when a quiet knock was heard from his bedroom door. Donghae opened his eyes again and then finally got up, walking over to the door. He knew that it was probably the twins, because the two of the used to wake up pretty early in the mornings. When he opened the door, he realised that his guess was right because Kyuhyun was standing in front of the door.

"Morning Kyuhyun," said Donghae with a raspy voice from the lack of use. He then yawned again and when he took a better look at the younger twin, he could see that something was wrong because Kyuhyun had a worried expression on his face. "How come that you are up already? Is Ryeowook awake as well?"

"Daddy," said Kyuhyun with a small and scared voice. "Something is wrong with Wook. He doesn't wake up and he is breathing funny," went on by saying Kyuhyun and placed his little hands together.

"Don't worry," said Donghae and gave Kyuhyun a small smile. He knew that Ryeowook had a cold, so he wasn't really worried about what his son had just told him. "You know that Ryeowook is sick, so of course he is breathing a little bit funny. Plus he doesn't want to wake up because he is too tired," added Donghae and placed a hand on top of Kyuhyun's head in attempt to calm the other one down. But he wasn't quite successful at that. Kyuhyun shook his head and removed Donghae's hand from it.

"No daddy!" he said. "It is different. Come and see," he then added, grabbed Donghae's head in attempt to drag his dad into his and Ryeowook's bedroom.

"Okay, I'm going," said Donghae and followed Kyuhyun. He then smiled to himself, because it warmed his heart seeing how much the twins cared about each other despite how young they were. When they finally reached the twin's bedroom, Kyuhyun quickly climbed on top of bed and gently shook Ryeowook's body. However, the other one still wouldn't wake up. Donghae then walked closer to the bed and only then he realised that Kyuhyun had every right to be worried that much.

Ryeowook's face was flushed into deep shades of red and he was struggling to breathe. His breathing was fast and uneven and Donghae's chest squeezed when he saw Ryeowook struggling like that. In a blink of an eye, he was sitting next to him and when he placed a hand on top of Ryeowook's forehead, Donghae's eyes widened. Ryeowook was too warm and when he gently took the other one into his arms he realised that Ryeowook's body was trembling a lot. "Oh god... he is burning up," said Donghae to himself and when he looked at Kyuhyun he could see that the other one got even more nervous. Kyuhyun’s lower lip started trembling and his eyes filled themselves with tears.

"Daddy... is Wook going to be okay?" asked Kyuhyun with a small voice and Donghae swallowed thickly, not knowing what kind of answer to give because he didn't know as well. Donghae bit onto his lower lip and the more time that he spent looking at Ryeowook, the more he was getting concerned. Ryeowook’s shivering got even harder and the man could tell that his son was really struggling to breathe. He then took a deep breath in and he looked at Kyuhyun, trying his best to remain calm around him.

“Yes, I am sure that Ryeowook is going to be just alright,” said Donghae, his voice slightly trembling. He then took a deep breath in and forced a small smile upon his face. “Now can you be a good boy and go into the living room? Wait for me and Ryeowook there, okay?” went on by saying Donghae, because he was about to break down in any second and he didn’t want that to happen in front of the younger twin.

“Why?” asked Kyuhyun, because he didn’t want to leave his older brother out of his sight. He knew that his dad had to be hiding something away from him, so he pouted and crossed his arms. “I want to be with Wook,” he stated stubbornly and Donghae just sighed.

“Do as I say, Kyuhyun,” ordered Donghae, who was slowly running out of patience. When Kyuhyun just shook his head and said that there was no way that he was going to leave, Donghae frowned and sent his son a disapproving look. “Kyuhyun go into the living room and wait for me there! This is an order,” he then said with a much louder voice and the small boy flinched at his dad’s sudden change in behaviour. His eyes widened with fear and shock, because he wasn’t used to Donghae yelling at them. When Donghae saw Kyuhyun’s reaction, he immediately felt bad for talking like that with Kyuhyun. However, before he could say something, Kyuhyun stood up and left the room. As Donghae was watching his son leave, he could swear that he could hear muffled sniffles coming from the younger twin as he was leaving. But Donghae knew that he had much bigger things to worry about, so his eyes immediately went to Ryeowook, who was still lying in his lap.

“Ryeowook, can you hear me?” asked Donghae quietly and then gently shook Ryeowook. After trying that a several more times, Donghae felt how his chest tightened and he felt helpless. He then placed his hand again on top of the boy’s forehead and he could swear that Ryeowook was even warmer than before. In panic, Donghae quickly placed his son back onto the bed and went to search for a thermometer. After finally finding it, Donghae hurried back to Ryeowook and he then gently turned his head a little bit onto the side, gently placing the thermometer into the boy’s ear. Some time passed before the device finally made a beeping sound and when Donghae saw the numbers on it, his eyes widened. Ryeowook’s fever was much higher than he expected it to be and he knew that he needed to bring it down immediately.

“,” said Donghae to himself and then stood up. He could feel how his heart started beating faster with fear and he then went into the bathroom, where he poured some water into a bowl and then he quickly carried it into the twins’ bedroom, placing it onto a nightstand. He then took a small cloth from a drawer, soaked it into a water and then placed it onto the boy’s forehead. As he did that, Ryeowook let out a small whimper of discomfort and his body started shivering even more. Donghae continued cooling down Ryeowook’s body for a few more minutes, but he was growing more and more helpless. What was making him even more worried was the fact that Ryeowook was struggling so much to get some air into his lungs and in the end the man gave up, deciding that the best thing to do was to take Ryeowook to the doctor. But before doing that, he called Hyosung, because he knew that he couldn’t do everything on his own. He quickly took his phone into his hands and called his ex-wife. To Donghae’s luck, Hyosung didn’t need too much time and in a few seconds, she had already answered his phone call.

“Donghae, what’s the matter?” she asked, surprised to see that he was calling her so early in the morning. “It’s not like you to be calling me so early.”

“Hyosung, you need to come here and help me. I need to take Ryeowook to the hospital and I-” said Donghae and then made a short pause.  He then sat down and ran his fingers through his hair. “I need you here,” he then added and his heart sunk to the pit of his stomach when he took another look at Ryeowook.

“What is wrong with him?” asked Hyosung, growing worried when he heard how badly Donghae’s voice was shaking. “I know that he has a cold, but is it that bad?”

“Yeah, he… he was fine the last night, but now... His fever is really high and he is struggling to breathe,” said Donghae and then buried his face into his palm. “And you know how I get when the kids are just a little sick… so please, I need you… please,” went on by saying Donghae and he bit onto his lower lip.

“Oh my god,” said Hyosung. “Yeah don’t worry Donghae I’ll be there in a few minutes. You get the twins ready and then we’ll go to the hospital.”

“Okay,” said Donghae with a small voice. “And thank you.”

“No problem, this is what friends are for… right?” said Hyosung. “See you in a bit. Bye.”

“Bye,” said Donghae then and cancelled the phone call. He then let out a loud breath and hid his face into his palms yet again, trying to collect himself a little bit. It was always like that; whenever the twins got sick, he would always panic about every little thing. But since this was the first time that any of the twins got that sick, Donghae just couldn’t bring himself to calm down.

“Why are you crying daddy?” asked a small voice, coming from the door and Donghae immediately looked into that direction. His heart broke when he saw Kyuhyun standing there, who had his hands placed together behind his back.

“I’m not crying,” said Donghae and gave Kyuhyun a sad smile. “I am just worried because Ryeowook is really sick.”

“No!” said Kyuhyun and his already teary eyes, filled themselves with more tears and then they started rolling down his face. He placed his little hands over his face and let out a loud sob. Donghae quickly stepped next to Kyuhyun and picked him up, squeezing him tightly to himself.

“Shh,” said Donghae. “Look you need to be a big boy now, okay? Mommy is going to come here and then we will go to the hospital. The doctors will take care of Wook and in a few days he is going to be as good as new,” went on by saying Donghae and Kyuhyun pulled back, looking at Donghae’s eyes.

“Really?” asked Kyuhyun with a small voice.

“Yes, really. Now…” he said and placed Kyuhyun down. “Can you please help me get ready before mommy comes?”

“Yeah.”

Two hours later, Hyosung and Donghae were already at the hospital. At that time, the doctors were still running various kinds of tests on Ryeowook, to see what was exactly wrong with the boy. And the only thing that Hyosung and Donghae could really do, was to wait in the waiting room with Kyuhyun, who was also nervous as the two of them. The small boy was extremely worried about his twin brother and every time that a doctor would come out of the room, he would immediately go up to them and start asking them various kinds of questions. It’s been almost two hours since they’ve handed their son to the doctors and they still haven’t received any answers with what could possibly wrong with him.

“Mommy,” said Kyuhyun and sat down next to his mother. “Is Wook going to die?” he then asked and Donghae’s eyes snapped back open. He then looked at Kyuhyun, who was again fighting back the tears and the man had to look away, because if he wouldn’t, he knew that he would cry as well. Donghae was very well aware of the fact that Ryeowook’s life wasn’t in danger, but still… The way that Kyuhyun asked that broke Donghae’s heart.

“Of course not, honey,” said Hyosung calmly and then picked up Kyuhyun into her lap. “He is going to be just right. The doctors are just taking a bit more time because they want to figure out what is wrong with him, that’s all,” she then added and placed her palm on top of Kyuhyun’s head. That seemed to calm down the boy a little bit, because he wiped the tears away and gave him mom a little nod.

“Yeah, Hyosung is right,” said Donghae, whose voice was still a little bit shaking. He just couldn’t help but to feel guilty for Ryeowook’s condition. He knew that the boy was sick, but he still took him to the kinder garden the previous day. Maybe if he wouldn’t, Ryeowook wouldn’t be so sick. Donghae let out an annoyed groan and he then buried his face into his palms. God, he hated himself so much at that moment.

“Donghae,” said Hyosung softly and Donghae looked up at her. “He is going to be alright. Don’t think about worse case scenarios right away,” she added, because she knew Donghae too well. She then placed her hand onto Donghae’s shoulder and gave it a little squeeze.

“I know, I know… you are right. But, what if it’s my fault? He was already quite sick yesterday and instead of being home with him I--” started Donghae, but Hyosung stopped him right away.

“Don’t be stupid, of course this isn’t your fault. He just fell sick, that’s all,” said Hyosung and then sighed as he watched how Donghae just shook his head and he then looked away. “Come on, don’t blame yourself for this.”

Donghae didn’t reply anything back to her. He knew that she was probably right, but still… he couldn’t believe her. Just as he was about to give into the depression once again, the door finally opened and Donghae’s chest tightened when he saw that it was their doctor. Both he and Hyosung got onto their legs, nervous about what the doctor was going to tell them.

“Is he going to be okay?” asked Hyosung.

“He is going to be better,” started the doctor slowly and Donghae’s eyes widened when he saw that the doctor looked quite concerned. “He still has a very high fever… with most adults it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but since he is still so young it is much more dangerous for him. Also, because of the infection of his lungs and breathing passages, he can’t breathe properly,” added the man and then made a short pause, looking at both Donghae and Hyosung.

“I-it’s that serious?” asked Donghae, whose heart started beating faster.

“Yes, I am afraid so,” added the doctor. “But I am positive that his condition is going to be better in a few days. But because he is still not out of the danger yet, he has to stay in the hospital until he gets a little bit better.”

“Yes, of course,” said Hyosung and nodded. “How long do you think it’s going to be before he'll be healthy again?”

“I am positive that he is going to be feeling alright in a couple of weeks,” said the doctor and Hyosung looked visibly relieved. Donghae, on the other hand, sat back down onto the chair and let out a long sigh.

“Thank you,” said Hyosung politely.

“Not a problem,” said the man and gave Hyosung a small smile. “So… now we just have to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter