Working things out

Don't wanna let you go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Donghae woke up it was already morning. It took him a while to understand where he was. When he first opened his eyes, he had no idea where he was. But after taking a better look around the room, in which he was, he soon realised that he was in hospital. His heart swell with worry and sadness as soon as he remembered that Ryeowook was sick, but soon calmed down a little bit when his eyes found Eunhyuk, who was still sitting in the chair, which was placed next to the boy's bed. A small smile came upon his lips when he saw that Eunhyuk was holding Ryeowook's hand and the man then sighed. After noticing that Eunhyuk's head was bowed down, he realised that Eunhyuk must've fallen asleep. Donghae chuckled and sighed then... it wasn't a surprise since he knew how tired Eunhyuk must've been. He spent a few more minutes of sitting on the bed, before getting onto his legs and walking towards Eunhyuk and Ryeowook.

When he came closer he saw that his son didn't have a mask on anymore. He felt how a weight lifted off of his chest, knowing that Ryeowook's condition must've gotten better during the night. Donghae then placed his palm against Ryeowook's forehead and much to his surprise it seemed to be a bit colder than before. It still felt too warm, but knowing that the boy's fever had gone down just a bit was enough for Donghae to smile wider. He placed a soft kiss onto Ryeowook's forehead, careful not to wake him up. He then went closer to Eunhyuk and chuckled as he kept on staring at the older one's sleeping face. He gently placed his fingers against Eunhyuk's cheek and gently ran his fingers up and down it, chuckling when Eunhyuk slightly opened his mouth in his sleep and mumbled something, which Donghae couldn't really make out what it was. Donghae then moved his fingers up and buried them into Eunhyuk's hair.

Donghae knew that Eunhyuk must've been tired, but he still wanted to wake him up. He needed to know if something happened to Ryeowook during the night. Plus being in the hospital room all alone wasn't a pleasant feeling either. So because of that, Donghae gently placed his lips against Eunhyuk's temple, placing a soft kiss there. He then moved his lips down to Eunhyuk's ear and whispered into it: “Wake up, Eunhyuk.”

Eunhyuk didn't wake up right away and when Donghae placed his warm palm against the older one's cheek, Eunhyuk nuzzled into the touch and a small smile came upon his lips. Donghae couldn't stop himself from chuckling, finding his lover completely adorable at that moment. He then leaned down and placed a feather light kiss against Eunhyuk's lips, knowing that that would probably wake the other one up. And he was right, because Eunhyuk soon moved his head when their lips made contact and then slowly opened his eyes.

When Eunhyuk lazily opened his eyes and saw that Donghae's face was really close to his, his eyes widened and then he blinked a few times, just to make sure that he wasn't asleep. He then slowly smiled, rubbed his eyes and yawned. His eyes soon found Ryeowook, who was still soundly asleep and his smile soon disappeared. He let out a sigh and then looked at Donghae, who sat down onto the bed. Eunhyuk stood up and walked over to the younger one, sitting down next to him. He then yawned yet again, before kissing Donghae gently.

"Good morning," said Eunhyuk, his voice still raspy from the lack of use. "How did you sleep?" he then went on by asking, because even though Donghae slept throughout the whole night, he still looked very tired.

"Fine," said Donghae and then shrugged. "I mean... considering the circumstances, I slept pretty good I think. And it's all thanks to you," he then added and moved a little bit closer, pressing his forehead against Eunhyuk's. When Eunhyuk chuckled, Donghae frowned and looked at Eunhyuk. "You know, I am being serious. If you weren't here I-"

"Yeah, but it's not just thanks to me," said Eunhyuk softly. "Hyosung is the one who you should be thanking not me."

"I know," said Donghae and then pulled back, looking at Ryeowook's direction. "So, did his condition change during the night... when I was asleep?" asked Donghae and Eunhyuk nodded.

"Yeah, he got better as you can see. He can finally breathe on his own," said Eunhyuk, glad that Ryeowook didn't have to wear that horrible mask anymore. "The doctor came to check up on him two times during the night and he looked pretty surprised with Ryeowook's recovery. He still has fever, but it went down just a little bit. It was enough to make the doctor less concerned about him," added then Eunhyuk and smiled when he saw how weight lifted off of Donghae's chest.

"Thank god," whispered Donghae. "I was so worried. I-I mean... I felt so helpless when I saw him struggling like that, because there was nothing that I could really do and-" started blabbering Donghae, but he was stopped when Eunhyuk wrapped his arms around him and pulled him into a tight and warm embrace.

"This is exactly why you have to call me the next time when something bad happens," said Eunhyuk and Donghae nodded. "You should know by now that you could never be a burden to me, Donghae."

"I know... It was stupid of be to be thinking that way," said Donghae and then pressed Eunhyuk closer to himself, enjoying the warmth and closeness of Eunhyuk's body. He felt so safe there and he wished that he could never leave that shelter. A small smile came upon Donghae's face as he buried his face into Eunhyuk's neck and then placed a few kisses there. "I love you so much," he then whispered and chuckled when he felt Eunhyuk's fingers in his hair.

Donghae's words warmed up Eunhyuk's heart and he pressed his lips together. "Me too, so much," whispered Eunhyuk and then pulled back a little bit. His warm palms then hugged Donghae's face as he placed their foreheads together once more. "When I first met you I never thought I would fall this much in love," he then said to himself, but Donghae could hear his every word.

Eunhyuk's words made Donghae's heart flutter with happiness and he swallowed thickly. He felt how his chest became heavy and he gave Eunhyuk a long kiss, filled with love and softness. When they broke their kiss, Eunhyuk chuckled when he noticed how a faint blush welcomed Donghae's cheeks and before pulling away completely, he allowed himself to place a quick kiss on the tip of the younger one's nose. Eunhyuk then lied down and buried his face into the pillow, yawning widely.

"You must feel very tired," commented Donghae and then sighed. "Being tired of work and driving here for such a long time... and then I made you stay up almost the whole night," went on by saying Donghae, who was basically just talking with himself.

"I'll manage," said Eunhyuk and showed his gummy smile to Donghae. Donghae then lied down as well and placed his head on top of Eunhyuk's chest, listening the other one's calm heart beat. He smiled to himself and when he looked up at Eunhyuk, he could see that the other one was slowly falling asleep. The two of them continued to lie on the bed for a few more minutes, before a small voice broke the silence in the room.

"Daddy," said Ryeowook quietly and turned his head, searching for his dad.

As soon as Eunhyuk and Donghae heard Ryeowook, they were immediately up on their feet and they hurried to the bed, only to find Ryeowook curiously looking up at the two of them. The boy looked really tired, but still he looked better than the day before. A small smile of relief came upon Donghae's face and he immediately leaned down, kissing his son gently onto the cheek. As Donghae did that, a small giggle left Ryeowook's mouth and Eunhyuk chuckled, enjoying seeing the adorable scene in front of him. He then stepped a bit closer and noticed how Ryeowook's smile grew when he saw him.

"Good morning," said Donghae happily and then sat down onto the chair, placed next to the bed. "Do you feel better?" he then asked.

Ryeowook gave them a small nod. "Wook is feeling tired," he then said, his voice barely audible and raspy. Donghae then nodded, knowing that Ryeowook still had a pretty high fever. "Where are we?" he then asked and his big eyes found Donghae's.

"You don't remember?" asked Donghae, surprised with Ryeowook's question. But then again, it made sense since the boy slept almost throughout the whole day. "We are in hospital," started Donghae and watched how Ryeowook's eyes grew big with both surprise and fear. "You were really, really sick... so we took you here."

Ryeowook nodded yet again, taking all of the new information in. He then looked at Eunhyuk, who was still watching him with a smile and then remembered that he also saw him yesterday. "Hyuk is in the hospital too?"

"Yeah," said Eunhyuk gently. "Your mom called me and told me that you were sick, so of course I came here as well," explained Eunhyuk. "You really got all of us worried. I'm so glad that you're okay now."

"Wook is sorry," said Ryeowook, feeling terrible that he made everyone so worried.

"It's not your fault," said both Eunhyuk and Donghae.

"Daddy," started the boy and Donghae's eyes were immediately on him. "We won't go and visit Eunhyuk?" asked Ryeowook and Donghae sighed, knowing that Ryeowook was going to ask him something like that soon.

"No, this weekend no. You first need to get better and then we'll go and visit Eunhyuk," said Donghae and his words broke Ryeowook's heart. His eyes welled up and he was angry with himself for getting sick. Both Eunhyuk and Donghae saw that Ryeowook was on the verge of tears and both of them knew that it really wouldn't be good if Ryeowook started crying. It was Eunhyuk who sat down onto Ryeowook's bed, picked him up and gave him a tight hug.

"Don't cry, Ryeowook," said Eunhyuk. "I'm here now."

"N-not the same," said Ryeowook who was still fighting back the tears.

"I know that it isn't," said Donghae and sighed, knowing how much Ryeowook and Kyuhyun was well were excited for the surprise visit. "But you aren't happy that Eunhyuk is here now?"

"No, no, no," said Ryeowook, thinking that his dad and Eunhyuk misunderstood him. "Wook is happy," he then finally said and looked up at Eunhyuk, who gave him a warm smile.

"I'm happy to hear that," said Eunhyuk happily and chuckled when the boy got up and threw himself around his neck. With a big smile on his face, Donghae continued to watch how Eunhyuk and his son then started happily chatting. It was mostly Ryeowook who was talking and Eunhyuk was the one who was patiently listening and making a comment now and then. His heart fluttered with happiness and warmth as he kept on watching the two of them and eventually he also sat down onto the bed. Eunhyuk looked at him and gave him a little wink, before he went back to listening Ryeowook.

Donghae placed his hand over Eunhyuk's, who immediately took it into his and their fingers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter