The new guy

The survivors

Author's POV

 

Dara and Donghae reached the canteen.

 

"Dara, over here!!" They saw Bom waving at them trying to get their attention.

 

Dara waved back and was going to walk to her when suddenly a bunch of girls ran towards them, pushing them aside.

 

'Please! I don't want to die! Kyahhh!! Anybody? Help me!!' She thought after being shoved a multiple times by the crazy fangirls.

  

Donghae grabs Dara's wrist and pulled her to the corner as she almost drowned in the crowd.

 

"Are you alright?" He reassured her.

 

"Y-Yeah... Thank you for helping me," Dara replied.

 

Donghae let go of her hand.

 

"You looked in a mess." Donghae fix her messy hair and smiled.

 

Dara was flustered and touch the part of her head where he touched.

 

Dara's gaze turned to the crazy girls that were screaming, trying to get Jiyong's attention. Dara was staring at him, making it obvious that she is admiring his looks. Jiyong noticed her and he allows his gaze to meet hers.

 

Dara averted her gaze and led Donghae to the counter. And Donghae didn't missed that moment. She looked at the menu for 20 minutes but she orders the same as usual.

 

They grabbed the foods and walked toward Bom who is secretly taking some glance at Tabi who sits next to Jiyong. Dara nudged her and Bom cleared .

 

"This seat has been taken"

 

Ignoring what she said, Dara invited Donghae to sit. Bom grinned at Dara and pretend to fix her hair to remind her about the incident earlier.

 

Dara glared at her but changed to a smirk when an idea popped out in her mind. She made Bom speechless as she looked at Tabi and lipsync his name at her face while pointing at him.

 

Their battles were cut off when Donghae asked them. "Who is that?" Donghae looked at Jiyong and turned to Dara for an answer.

 

"That's err..." Dara blushed.

 

"She have a crush on him since the freshmen year and oops... too much detail, neh, Darong?" She smirked evilly.

 

"Yaaa!!! Park Bom!!! I swear, I'll kill you!!" She raised her spoon and fork.

 

"Uh-oh... Someone's blushing right now..." Bom grinned evilly.

 

"YAAA!!!"Dara grith her teeth in frustration.

 

Their war caughts Jiyong's attention, he turned to their table and gave Dara a smile. Dara was embarrased and blushed.

 

'Omo! He smiled at me!! Kyahhh!! My heart!! I wish I could disappear right now,' She sighed as her face heaten up .

 

Donghae didn't want her to be left in such state. "Dara, can you show me around ?"

 

Her smile appears as she was able to escape the awkward situation."Yes, sure."

 

Dara felt such sense of relief after leaving the canteen. She brought Donghae to the gym then continued to the library.

 

"Nothing is pleasanter to me than exploring in a library,” Donghae was amazed.

 

"Err...Thanks for saving me earlier... again," Dara played with her hair, trying not to remember the look on Jiyong face.

 

"Anytime..." Donghae replied while checking out some books. Dara carried a stool to climb up and place it near a bookshelf.

 

"Donghae, I guess, you loved to read books, right? I'm going to recommend you this book, hold on..where did it go?" Dara was scanning every book on that row. Donghae was standing next to her, nodded without even looking.The book steals his attention from Dara.

 

'There it is,' She might raised more than her eyebrows.She stretch out her hand to reach the corner of the bookshelf.

 

'Almost there ....Almos..' She lost her balance and fell. "D-Donghae!!!!" She shouted, totally forgot that they are in the library.

 

"Dara..." She came back to reality and straighten her arms to support herself. Their gaze meet.

 

'So soft..' She thought as she was hanging on something soft. And she heard someone groans.

 

"Err... Dara, I think ...you are touching my..." Both of them avert their gaze to Dara's hand. Her eyes widened and her face turns as red as a red tomato.

 

"Opps... I'm so sorry!" She moves her hand away, and stands up. Donghae stood back up, quickly brushing off his pants to hid his flustered face and approachs her slowly.

 

"Did you get hurt?" Donghae ask her and scanned her from top to bottom.

 

"N-No, I'm fine." She can't looked at Donghae properly.

 

'This is awkward... Calm down... Breathe in, breath out... Okay, I need toilet... Yes, toilet,' She reads his mind. Donghae's cheek looks like some red cherries.

 

After calming his self, he turned to Dara and she was still staring at him. "Don't look at me like that... I-Is my face really red?" He covers half of his face.

 

"Yes, it is," She chuckled. She didn't realized that her face was redder that his.

 

"Dara, can you show me the way to the toilet?" He muttered. Dara nodded as she understood the situation and they walk out of the library quickly.

 

All of the sudden, Donghae was walking in front of her and not a single word came out from both of them untill they reached the toilet.

 

When he was about to enter the toilet, he saw a couple next to the toilet, enjoying their kiss. 'Seriously? Do it somewhere else,' He sighed.

 

Just then, he realized something. Donghae stopped his tracks and looked at them again for the second time to confirm his prediction.

 

'Dara,' The thought crossed his mind.

 

He quickly turned to see if she noticed it. Fortunetly, Dara was fumbling with her hair.

 

So, he went nearer to her and placed his palm right in front of her eyes, closing her eye sight. Then, he turned her to face the other side of the building and their back facing the couple.

 

"What?" She removes his hands and looked at him suspiciously.

 

'Thank God, why is jiyong here? Can't he kiss her somewhere else or get a room.' Donghae's thought explained everything.

 

He turned to Dara and quite surprised after saw her eyes are watery. He puts his hands over her eyes again and leans foward, closer to her ear. "Dara, don't look... It's something you should never know," He whispered.

 

"Jiyong ,do you know them?" A woman voice can be heard from behind them.

 

Jiyong turned back and saw Dara. 'Here comes trouble...' He sighed.

 

Understand the situation, Donghae grab her hand tightly. "Let's go," Dara followed him and that moment, she can only do what she was told to. Her thoughts are all over the place.

As they reach the class the teacher approached them. "How's your day  Donghae, Dara? I see, you looked so happy skipping my class," The teacher said with a mocking tone. The students in the class starts whispering.

 

Donghae replied gleefully. "It was fun actually! Teacher, you were that concern?" Some students cheer for them.The teacher wasn't happy with his reply.Unfortunately, they were told to stay back after school and clean the canteen.


 

 

"Ughh..  I'm so tired," Dara declared while resting her legs. Donghae sits beside her. "I'm sorry, that I made such mess," He felt guilty.

 

"What are you talking about? You save me several times today and especially the fall," Dara states her point .Donghae laugh as she emphasis the embarrasing incident.

They did some touch up and left the building. Donghae walked her home. "Thanks, Donghae," she gave him her sweetest smile as she was grateful from the bottom of her heart.

 

Donghae's POV

 

Today is such a long day I sighed.

I dumped my bag somewhere in the room.Without even changing my clothes ,I went to the kitchen,heat up the stove and cook as usual.

 

"Salty... I'm not perfect, let's just face that," I tried my best to modify the taste and hope that it would be better.

 

I sat down and start eating. My eyes were locked to dad's picture that's place on the table, he's wearing his favourite uniform.

 

"It's been years, huh?" Talking to myself is one of my many charms.

 

After dad left us, everything went wrong... Really wrong. It's hard to remember or even picture every single day after that awful plane crash.

Everyday , I can see mum falling asleep at the table full of empty alcohol cans or answering  thousand calls from the reporters.

 

"I'm sorry, Donghae," These are the word that kept ringing in my ears. At my old school, every single one of them keep their distance from me when they discovered that I was the the son of a pilot. The pilot who flies the plane that crashed 8 years ago. Get the picture?

 

Curses were decorating my desk. Love letters... filled with dead rats in my locker. The best nickname that they could ever come up with 'Murderer'. The best greeting they could ever wish to me is 'Go Die!! You don't belong here!'

All of them... Lonliness is only a friend of mine... I  didn't expect you to care..

 

I'm fine. Those are nothing. My heart is already numb. The best pain already striked at the right place, right where it hurts. Still, I'm fine.

 

I can't hold back my tears anymore even though I'm a man. This is too much... Everything is too much...