Z for Zimbabwe

From A to Z: My Story of Krystal Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If people say that army is difficult, they lied. Army is so damn totally, awfully difficult. Physically and mentally. Well okay, that's what I felt with my army life. Your life as soldier is so hard, wake up in the early morning, doing everything that real men do that makes your body sore, being scolded like you commit a crime by seniors, no good food, homesick, and so on that make my heart skipped a beat when I remember them. I thought my assignments at school that made me lack of sleep for a week was hard, but the the truth is that's nothing compared with army life.

Of course I miss my baby, that's every problem that a soldier feels when they have to leave their girlfriends behind. I couldn't call her everyday and hearing her whines. But she never missed to send me letter. That's so old school I know, but it became my energy everytime I got her letter. Her letter minimum had 5 pages. She could tell me about her activities, her family, the food that she's trying to cook, the last movie she's watched or book she's read, a song that she's currently addicted into, etc. She never bored me with her letter. In fact, I could read her letter every minute if I had a chance.

When I was in the army and during her last semester in university, Krystal was suddenly interested with social projects. She became a volunteer in some kind of foundation owned by UNESCO. She told me in her letters, she joined at first to kill her longing for me. But as the time went by, she said she found a peace after doing some good deeds for people in need. Just when I thought I couldn't be more proud of her, she kept surprising me and making me even more proud day by day.

Six months after I was being in the army, Krystal has graduated with cummlaude from Seoul National University. Proud, happy, and sad were the feelings I got. I was sad because I wasn't there in her important day. I even shed a tear, okay some tears, because I missed her and wanted to give her a hug, congratulating her, and tell her how proud I was of her.

After graduating, she got a job right away at prestigious hospital in Seoul. She also kept being a volunteer at the foundation. She often said, she satisfied with her life although it's not perfect yet because I wasn't beside her at the moment.

During my 22 months as soldier, I got three holidays. First, after 100 days in army. As promised, I had vacation with Krystal. I only got 10 days off, so 4 days I've spent with Krystal in Jeju Island. We did many things there such as diving, riding ATV, riding horse, went to teddy Bear Museum, played in themed park, eating sushi, exploring Jeju road with a car, etc. The six remaining days of my holiday I've spent with my family and Krystal. She even stayed at my house during that time because she said she didn't wanna waste the time to be with me. Our parents were okay with it, because they knew Krystal couldn't live without me, well I couldn't too without her.

Second holiday I got, after 1 year in army during Chuseok holiday. Only a week though, but still I was grateful with it. Since Krystal was already getting a job that time, she pampered me a lot during my Chuseok holiday. She bought me many foods in fancy restaurants, bought me branded clothes, hats, watch, and shoes. The funny thing was she said that's not free, I should pay her back when I got a job later.

My third holiday was six months before I got discharge. Just a week, again. Of course, I spent a lot of my free time with my family and Krystal. But...I got a uhm kind of bad news from my girl.

In my second day, when we ate sashimi, Krystal informed me something.

"Yesterday, I got a call." She started.

"What call?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter