Baekyeol

12 Days of EXO

“Look at what I found!”

Bakehyun looks over his shoulder at Chanyeol, who is grinning excitedly and holding up a sparkling ornament. He can’t quite make out what it is though, from the way the sun is shining on it through the window.

“What is it?”

“It’s a star. See?” Chanyeol comes over and holds it closer so the older can see. “It’s the one we bought on out first Christmas together.”

Baekhyun smiles gently. “You remember that?”

“Of course. You really wanted it, because it was shiny. And all we really had were, like, leftover ones.” Chanyeol shrugs one shoulder. “We needed something new.”

“You only remember it because it was shiny?” accuses Baekhyun playfully.

Chanyeol furrows his forehead, puzzled. “How else would I remember is?”

“Whatever.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes, turning back around to the tree to hang up the one he still has in his hand. He doesn’t mind it, really. He’s just messing with the younger after all because he’s so cute when confused.

Chanyeol wraps his arms around Baekhyun from behind, burying his face in the shorter’s hair. “Of course I remember it more than that. What do you take me for, Baek?”

“A pabo.”

"Baek,” whines the younger. “Why are you so mean to me?”

“Because you’re cute when you’re flustered.”

“Well so are you.”

“We’re not going to get any more decorating done if you keep doing this.”

“Doing what?” Chanyeol’s voice turns mischievous, his hands sliding down the front of Baekhyun’s chest slowly, fingers trailing. “This?”

Now it’s Baekhyun’s turn to flush. He shakes away Chanyeol’s embrace, trying not to think of how he would look really good with ribbon on-and nothing else.

“We’re never going to finish,” he tries again, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself down. “And how do you think the others will like it if they come to a half-decorated tree?”

Chanyeol pouts. “I suppose you’re right.” He goes back to rifling through the few cardboard boxes they have, searching for more ornaments.

Shaking his head in mock exasperation, Baekhyun continues to hang some of them up, trying his best to be even. Not having too many on one side or one branch or whatever. It bothers him too much. They have to be spread out exactly even.

They continue to talk, reminiscing about this or that decoration, slowly making their tiny living room even messier than it was before. Tinsel is strewn about the room, wrappings and bows littering the floor. The squeaky couch is covered with ornaments that have yet to be decided on, the others having been deemed ‘not worthy enough’ by Baekhyun.

A little while later, Baekhyun takes a step back to survey his work before frowning.

Chanyeol notices the scowl. “What’s wrong Baek?”

The elder points at the tree unhappily. “It’s not even! The ornaments only go up to here-there’s nothing above that.”

Chanyeol starts to laugh, not even stopping when Baekhyun’s frown gets deeper.

“Yah! Why are you laughing? What’s so funny?”

“It’s because you’re short,” Chanyeol gets out between chuckles. “You can only reach to here.” He gestures to the spot where it’s completely bare of any decorations, except for the blinking lights winding around the tree.

Baekhyun stomps his foot. “I’m not that short!”

“Of course not honey.” Chanyeol kisses the top of his head. “I think it’s adorable.”

“Maybe you should put them on instead,” Baekhyun suggests, squirming away from the younger’s grip. “Because you’re a giant and can reach the top. I’m going to light the candles so you don’t burn the house down.”

“That was one time!” calls out Chanyeol as the elder leaves the room momentarily. He shakes his head, laughing a little, as he starts to hang up the ornaments Baekhyun had picked out.

Around this time of year, Baekhyun always goes crazy with candles. But it’s only at Christmastime, he doesn’t like it any other time.

He lights them when they leave in the morning, so when they arrive back in the late afternoon, the apartment smells like vanilla or holly berries or whatever.

This time, it’s chocolate peppermint, Chanyeol’s favorite. He had tried to light it last year, because he wanted it when he got home earlier than Baekhyun that day. The results were disastrous.

Needless to say, Baekhyun doesn’t let him near them anymore.

“I can smell it already,” he tells Baekhyun when the elder comes back. “It smells so good! We should have it all year round.”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s only good for this time.”

“But why?”

“Would you like to have, like, the smell of the sea during February?” points out Baekhyun, making the younger think.

“Well, no.”

“That’s what I thought.” Baekhyun inspects the tree, now that Chanyeol’s made it a little more even. “It looks great Channie. And it looks even.”

Chanyeol slings an arm around him. “Just for you Baek.”

“Hmm…but it’s missing something.”

“What?”

Baekhyun studies it for a moment before it dawns on him. “The star! We freaking forgot the star, Channie. What is wrong with us?”

“I know I was distracted by you.” Chanyeol tries to kiss him, giggling when Baekhyun squeals and struggles.

“The star, Channie, the-the star!” he gets out between laughs.

“Do you want to do the honors?” asks Chanyeol once Baekhyun has finally torn himself away, breathless and red-faced.

“I can’t reach it, pabo.”

“Yes you can.” Chanyeol turns around and bends slightly. “Get on.”

Baekhyung shakes his head, wiping at his eyes. “You’re such a pabo.” But he gets on nonetheless, being careful to balance steadily.

“You’re not going to hurt me,” scoffs Chanyeol. “And I’m not going to drop you.”

“I know. Have faith that I have faith.” Baekhyun takes the star from him, reaching his arm as far as it can go to try and put it at the very top. “Move closer.”

Chanyeol does so easily, waiting patiently for Baekhyun to put it up. But even with the other’s added height, Baekhyun can still barely reach it.

The tips of his finger’s graze the top of the tree and he puts it on, moving it this way and that for it to be even.

“Go back a bit. I want to see how it looks.”

His legs only feeling a little tired, Chanyeol does as he’s told, sighing in annoyance as Baekhyun declares it crooked and wants to fix it.

“Is it good now?” Chaneyol asks after a few minutes with the elder still fiddling with that star. He doesn’t mind but his legs are starting to feel the burn just a little.

“Hmm…” Baekhyun tilts his head, wanting it to be good from all angles.

“My God Baek, please say it’s good.”

“Yeah. It’s perfect.”

Chanyeol grins, swinging around and sweeping Baekhyun up in his arms as the elder lets out a squeal.

“Just like you.”