VIII. Promise

This World We Live In
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Call Me Baby hit me like-

First Love hit me like-

Exodus hit me like-

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun?"

Then out of the darkness appeared a familiar silhouette, the dim moonlight gave his outline a faint glow of silver.

He had wide and slightly hunched over shoulders, he is tall but not gigantic, thin but not scrawny.

Baekhyun's lips split into a wide grin.

"Jongin!"

He then sprinted towards the said boy and embraced him in a bone-crushing hug, his small arms hugging the taller's torso.

Jongin hugged back and Baekhyun buried his face into the younger's chest, inhaling the sweet scent of home.

As Jongin chuckled with joy, Baekhyun can feel the vibration on his chest. It felt just like the million times they hugged before. Through his thin shirt, Baekhyun can feel the younger lost some weight.

"I missed you so much," Jongin said into his hair, resting his chin on top of the smaller's head and tightening his arms.

"I missed you too."

They found a relatively cleaner spot in the ground and sat down next to each other.

"I have something very important to tell you," Jongin said, looking at him in the eye.

"What is it?" In the darkness, Baekhyun can barely make out Jongin's features. He's skinnier now, dark shadows fell across his face, especially under his eyes and Baekhyun wondered if he's been getting enough sleep.

"Sehun is alive."

For a moment, Baekhyun thought maybe it was a trick of the wind roaring in his ears, distorting the words into something he wanted to hear.

"Sehun... my brother... is... alive?"

Jongin nodded.

Suddenly, Baekhyun felt as if a weight has been lifted off his shoulders and now he feels a hundred pounds lighter.

He smiled, and it turned into a pure laugh, innocent and gleeful, and Jongin smiled too.

"What about my mother?"

Immediately, the smile disappeared from Jongin's face. He hesitated.

Then Baekhyun realized, "She's... really dead... isn't she?" The word dead left a sour taste on his tongue.

Jongin nodded.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't save her... I was too late... When I went to your house, I found both of them lying on the floor, bleeding to death from gun wounds. Only your brother was still breathing... and so I rushed him to the hospital..."

They exchanged information on what happened recently, and Baekhyun explained to him the reason of their deaths while Jongin told him how Sehun is recovering in the Central District.

"I made sure no one knows he's still alive. My friend Kris, also the commander in chief of the rebel army, is taking care of him," Jongin said.

"Are you sure he's safe there? I mean... with the army and all that... I don't want him to be involved with the rebels..."

"He's safe don't worry," Jongin smiled reassuringly and ran his hand through Baekhyun's soft brown locks.

Also, Baekhyun learned that Jongin is still part of the Guerillas, the rebel army, and it worried him. Being involved with the war means you can die any second, anywhere.

Jongin said the rebels are planning several attacks and it will happen in a chain. Once they start the actual uprising, there's no turning back.

"Jongin I told you, don't get involved with the war!" Baekhyun sat up and faced him with a stern expression, like an older brother looking out for his younger brother.

"No, I have to fight! Baek you don't understand! This has to stop now, what they're doing to us, to you! I thought... maybe you would understand my hatred... after all they've done to you," with that, Jongin felt something build up in his eyes, something resembling anger, frustration, and disappointment.

"It's not that I don't understand... you think I don't hate them? If it weren't for the Test, I would still be home right now, with my family, still alive, living happily. They ruined my life Jongin, along with so many others..."

"Then why are you stopping me?"

"Because..." Slowly, Baekhyun's eyes watered and he struggled to find the right words. Images of a bloody Jongin flashed before his eyes, dying from a gunshot in the middle of the battle field. He couldn’t bare to see Jongin, his best friend, one of the most important people in the world to him, die and leave him.

"I'm afraid of losing you..."

Jongin pulled the smaller into his arms and said, "You won't lose me, I promise."



 

~



 

"You won't lose me, I promise."

The words reached Chanyeol's ears as he squatted behind some bushes. He clenched his fists.

Seeing Baekhyun being so close to his childhood enemy made him want to jump out of the shadows and snatch the smaller away from Kim Jongin.

So many questions filled his head. How did Jongin get in? What is Baekhyun’s relationship with Jongin? Something twisted inside of him at the thought of them dating.

"What are you doing?" Came Baekhyun's soft, timid voice.

Chanyeol looked up to see Jongin had cupped the smaller's face, and that their faces were merely an inch away from each other.

"I'm about to kiss you."

Jongin's voice was barely above a whisper, but Chanyeol heard it. And maybe it was his imagination, but Chanyeol thought he saw Baekhyun close his eyes.

No. This can't continue further.

He can't let Jongin kiss Baekhyun.

"What are you guys doing?" Chanyeol shouted and jumped out from behind the bushes.

Immediately the two broke apart and scrambled to stand up.

"Ch - Chanyeol?" Baekhyun said, squinting in the dark.

Upong recognizing that name and face, Jongin laughed and said, "Park Chanyeol... we meet again."

"Baekhyun, come here," Chanyeol said, his tone sharp and dangerous. Even with the minimal lighting, Baekhyun can tell the taller is angry from the way his muscles are tensed up. The shadows fell across Chanyeol's face, a dark and eerie vibe surrounds him.

For the first time, Baekhyun is scared of him. He couldn't bring himself to move his feet.

Then Chanyeol started to move towards him. Jongin stood in front of the smaller protectively and glared at the advancing giant.

"Stay away from Baekhyun," Jongin spat.

"Ha, he is my servant. You need to stay away from him."

"I'm taking him with me," Jongin said.

"Kim Jongin. You better run while you ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter