II. Cake White As Snow

This World We Live In
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Surprise~ haha I bet you didn't expect me to update since it's Christmas eve. But I wanted to treat you guys with a Christmas present to show how much I love you, so haha I updated!

I might sound like a loner writing fics on Christmas eve, but actually I wrote this a few days ago and I just got back from my church's Christmas party... it was extremely short this year.

Still... I'm a loner XD

But I have wonderful friends and I just want to say how thankful I am for all of you and how I can share things I love (EXO XD) with you guys! 

HOPE EVERYONE HAVE A WONDERFUL KRISMAS!! <3 ILYSM

 

 

 

 

The sun had already touched the horizon when Baekhyun was walking back to his shack on the filthy streets of the Slum sectors. A paper bag held tight in his arms, the warmth of the freshly baked bread seeped through the bag and his shirt, warming his chest. He hugged the bag closer, afraid it will lose its warmth.

 

The leather pouch was safely stored away in his pant pocket. It felt heavy, heavier than it should, as if it was weighing him down.

 

He knows he should be happy they finally have good food, but his mind keeps on repeating the encounter with Chanyeol. The heavenly smell of bread bought with stolen money reached his nose, but it didn’t affect him. The pain in his stomach was gone, or maybe he just doesn’t notice it anymore. His heart felt heavy.

 

When he first started to steal almost five months ago, he always felt guilty afterwards. But after awhile, he’s grown immune to it. He got so used to the guilt that it just became numb.

 

But this time, it’s Chanyeol…

 

No matter how hard he tried, he just can’t push the giant out of his mind, how he used him, who was so sincere and innocent.

 

He thought back to a time when both of them were still in school. On the first day of middle school, he remembered having almost the exact same argument with Chanyeol…

 

[Flashback]

 

“Hi Baekhyunnie.”

 

Baekhyun turned around to see a eleven-year-old Chanyeol, all bubbly and cheery with his big grin.

 

Baekhyun hated that nickname because it sounded so girly and cheesy. It made him want to puke. And for that reason, Chanyeol made sure to always call him “Baekhyunnie” just to piss him off.

 

The young Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol.

 

He realized he had to look up for the first time to look at Chanyeol in the eyes. Chanyeol used to always be the same height as Baekhyun, but after a summer break, Chanyeol comes back two inches taller.

 

“Why did you grow taller than me?” Baekhyun whined.

 

“So I can look down on you,” Chanyeol smirked.

 

Baekhyun glared at him again. Deciding that talking to Chanyeol is only going to ruin his mood, he turned around to leave. But Chanyeol tagged along, walking beside him. When Baekhyun purposely sped up to escape the annoying boy, Chanyeol also sped up. When he slowed down, the taller also slowed down.

 

“Stop following me!!” Baekhyun stopped and stomped his foot.

 

Chanyeol laughed and said, “We’re in middle school now Baekhyunnie. We’re suppose to be ‘more mature’, but you haven’t changed at all.”

 

“Neither have you!”

 

“Yes I have! I’ve gotten taller, and more handsome than you.”

 

For the thousandth time that day, Baekhyun glared at him once again.

 

“No you didn’t.”

 

“Yes I did!”

 

“No you did NOT!”

 

“YES I DID!”

 

“NO YOU DID NOT!”

 

“You’re just jealous you’re still a shortie --- AH!”

 

Chanyeol screamed in pain when Baekhyun suddenly kneed him in the balls. His face scrunched up in pain as he fell to the ground.

 

“Serves you right, meanie.”

 

With that, Baekhyun stomped away feeling good about his victory won with elementary vocabs.

 

[Flashback ends]

 

A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he recalled that memory. Four years later, he still feels good about that. Maybe Chanyeol was right, maybe he hasn’t changed at all.

 

He arrived at his small shack that he calls home. Planks of old, cracked wood and some rusted metal made up this thing that sheltered them for years. Pushing open the door with his shoulder, he walked in and called, “I’m home!”

 

But unlike what he had expected, instead of his mother greeting him, Kim Jongin walked up to him with a warm smile. Baekhyun immediately smiled back.

 

“Hyung you’re back,” Jongin embraced him in a hug.

 

“Hi Jongin, what are you doing here?” Baekhyun said when he broke away.

 

“I just wanted to check up on you,” Jongin said and noticed the paper bag in his arms, “what’s this?”

 

Baekhyun carefully took the bread out as they walked to the “living room”, which was just a beaten-up couch and a square wooden table crammed into a corner, where his mother and his brother sat.

 

“Baekhyun-ah you’re home,” his mother greeted.

 

“BAEKHYUNNIEEEE~~” Sehun shouted with glee.

 

Sehun is the only one whom Baekhyun allows to call him that. The young boy ran up to his older brother and hugged him around his waist, for he can only reach that high.

 

They settled in the “kitchen” and put the loaf of bread in the middle of the round table. Both his mother and Sehun were extremely happy at the sight of freshly made food. Jongin placed a plate of pork on the table as well and Baekhyun stared at him with surprise.

 

“Where did you get that pork?”

 

Meat was such a luxury that most families outside the Wall can’t afford it.

 

Jongin grinned.

 

“My parents sold a lot this week, so they let me have some of the money to buy some pork.”

 

Baekhyun continued to stare. He knew Jongin’s family lives in the better parts of town because his parents are merchants and they actually have income, but still, pork is very expensive.

 

“Don’t feel burdened, I’m happy to share it with you guys,” Jongin gave him another warm smile.

 

“We finally have fooood!!” Sehun broke the silence and cheered w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter