Chapter 6

Fluffy's Refuge

~Fluffy’s Refuge~

Luhan and I sat in the lounge in silence, waiting for our parents to arrive. I hadn't gone to work today and called in stating my reasons on why I couldn't make it today...

Now I can't see Lay...

Luhan didn't really work on weekends either. It was so quiet and the atmosphere was tense. The entire apartment was clean, the bed sheets had been changed, the laundry had been done etc. All of this spring cleaning in the middle of summer just for our parents.

 After about half an hour of anxiety, there was a knock on the door.

Luhan in a breath and stood up and made his way to the door, I was right behind him. Luhan unlocked the door and opened it and on the other side stood our parents. Mama immediately beamed at us in excitement and happiness and Baba looked like he was being tortured by the luggage he was carrying.

"Oh my goooosh~ Baobei look, it's our precious little babies!" Mama said as she squealed and enveloped both Luhan and I in a hug. We awkwardly hugged her bag as our father stood in the doorway with trembling arms.

"It would help very much if you could help me with the luggage, sweetheart!" Baba said as he grunted and tightened his grip on the suitcase to prevent it from falling.

"Just get Han to do it. Oh Chenguang, put the kettle on and prepare tea for your father and I. Oh Luhan, this apartment is beautiful. Chenguang, are you still dressing like that?" Mama was currently exploring the apartment like a child at the museum and I was in the kitchen getting the water to boil in the kettle.

I looked over my shoulder to see how Luhan was coping and saw him with Baba trying to drag one of Mama's many suitcases into Luhan's room.

"Han, work out a little bit! I'm probably using more strength to lift this thing than you are. Sweetheart, what did you put in this suitcase!?" Baba asked as he held the other end of the suitcase with Luhan.

"My life in China, now stop complaining. You probably could have gotten that suitcase in there already if you didn't complain. If you have time to complain you have time to work. Chenguang! Where's the tea!?" Mama screamed after she had finally made herself comfortable on the couch.

"Coming!" I exclaimed as I brought the tea out and tried to avoid spilling anything. I placed it on the coffee table and sat opposite my mother as my mother sipped her tea and Baba and Luhan finished up. Luhan and Baba then joined us in the lounge as Luhan sat beside me and Baba sat next to Mama.

"This place is really different from home. Chenguang I should take you out to go shopping for some new clothes, your clothing looks like you used someone's table cloth to make that. Han, are you making sure she eats properly? Look at her legs, they're still so skinny! I could use them as chopsticks and then as toothpicks after I'm done eating." Mama, I'm going to get offended at this rate. I looked at Baba who had been quietly sipping his tea as he faced Mama with a sigh.

"Sweetheart, we just came here! Stop pestering the children! Why are you so energetic? Go sleep or something!" Baba said as Mama gave him a look and a click of her tongue.

"I'm just happy to see my children~. When last have we seen Han over here? Also, Chenguang left us as well this year, I missed my kids! Oh, and I got your letter, dear. I’m happy you re fitting in nicely." That's sweet and all Mama but....

Never mind.

After our parents finished their tea, Baba and Luhan were watching the sports channel and catching up while Mama and I were in the kitchen preparing lunch.

"So Chenguang, do you have a man in your life?" Mama asked as she washed off the rice. A man in my life?

Hmmm...

"Well...." I trailed off in thought.

"I mean in real life by the way. As in an actual person not some 2D character from those 'anime' shows you used to watch at home." Ohhh, you got me Mama. Then I guess there is this one guy...

"Okay, fine. He has this beautiful sharp eyes, beautiful dark hair that I just want to run my fingers through and a wonderful smile..." I said as I thought of him.

"Oh~ he sounds like a dashing young man! When can I meet him!?" Mama asked enthusiastically while switching on the rice cooker.

"Tonight at around 11PM on television on TVN-"

"HEY! I was talking about someone I can actually meet!" Mama exclaimed.

What does she mean!? She can get a good shot of Myungsoo's face when Shut Up Flower Boy Band comes on later tonight on TVN!

"He's real!" I exclaimed.

"Does he even know that you exist!?"

Ouch....

"Mama, I have my imagination to keep me company in love, okay? Don't worry about me." I assured her as I began slicing the vegetables.

"How can I not be worried about you after you just said that?" she asked while running her fingers through her hair. "Let's talk about some serious things. How is things going with you and the university?"

"It's great, I made new friends and stuff. I actually understand what the lesson is about when I pay attention but there's this test coming up and all I know is the topic. I'm kinda struggling a bit but a friend of mine who I work with offered to help me study for it because he's a senior." I told her as I reminded myself of the Study Date Session Lay and I had arranged.


Luhan's POV

"What in the world is that?" Baba asked as he stared at a little ball of fur lying under the coffee table.

"It's a cat, Baba. Chenguang's actually." I explained as I watched Baba poke Mufasa who lifted his head and meowed in Baba's direction.

"Chenguang's cat, huh?....Interesting. What's the cat's name?"

"Mufasa."

"From the Lion King?.....It's staring at me now...I don't know what to do." Baba said while studying Mufasa as if he was some kind of scientist.

"BOYS! DINNER'S READYYYY~" Mama exclaimed from the kitchen. Baba and I made our way to the dining table where we all sat as a family and ate as we caught up on old times. Sure, we may have missed out on a lot without our parents, but it was great to eat dinner with the whole family again.


Chenguang’s POV

After I finished watching Shut Up Flower Boy Band, I went to my room and Luhan was already in his sleeping bag busy on his phone. I climbed into bed and attempted falling asleep but there was someone else in my room with me and that was kind of bothering me.

Trying to block out my surroundings I tried to fall asleep, I may have gotten Saturday off but I have work at seven tomorrow.

One sheep...two sheep....three sheep...four Yixings...

It's not working. I can hear Luhan's fingers slamming down on his phone's key pad.

"Luhan....Please, I'm trying to sleep I have to go to work at seven. Go to sleep!" I whisper-yelled keeping in mind my parents were in the room next to me.

"Urg, fine." He said as he put the phone down and tried to get into a comfortable position but all his fidgeting was making a noise.

"Luhan!"

"What!?

"Stay still!" I said in hushed whispers as he finally stopped moving and sighed.

Finally!

Now for some peace and-.....

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

"....Luhan."

"What is it now!? I wasn't doing anything!"

"I can hear you breathing."

"You have got to be kidding me right now. Here, take my phone and listen to music and try to fall asleep." Luhan said as he gave me his phone and I put my earphones in and put his music on shuffle mode.

It's been a while and so far I still can't sleep. What music is this!? Rock? I took my earphones out and gave his phone back to him.

"I can't sleep while these guys are screaming in my ear!"

"I was like, just about to fall asleep! Who's keeping who up now!?"


Before I knew it morning arrived and I hadn't gotten a good night's rest. After freshening up I went to the kitchen and saw mom making some breakfast.

"Oh, good morning, nan nan! I'm making Congee for breakfast. Here, have a bowl. Han and your father have already eaten." My parents are early birds so I'm not surprised that they're awake at this hour. Baba would actually sleep in if he could but Mama won't let that happen.

"I wanted to take you out shopping after you're done with work but I figured I wanted to meet your.....friends." Why did she sound so weird when she said friends? "So invite them here after work! I'll cook Gunpowder chicken with dried red chillies and peanuts." My favorite dish and I have to invite people over!? There won't be seconds left to eat at this rate...

After having breakfast I went to work and I still felt a bit tired due to the fact I barely got any sleep last night.


As usual the whole gang showed up at work except today was a normal work day with the SM group excluded. There was no practice or rehearsing today. Lay was sweeping the store, Sehun was counting the money we made so far and Tao was making sure there was nothing wrong with the animals. Suho was going over the performance the business made over the month. I was busy wiping the tables off in the pet care room and let a yawn slip out.

Oh, Luhan....

If I'm finding it this complicated to have someone sleep in the same room as me what will my marriage life be like?

After I finished up I went to sit next to Sehun behind the counter who had been keeping a record of the sales.

"Sehun oppa....I'm bored." I said as he continued to jot down numbers on a paper slip.

"And I'm busy, go amuse yourself elsewhere." He said while not really paying attention to me.

"What do you want me to do!? Stand in a corner and count my toes?"

"That sounds like a plan."

"You can't ignore me forever!"

"Don't underestimate me." Sehun is being really boring right now.

I sighed and went to sit on a bench in the pet care room. I must have been sitting there a while because before I knew it I was almost half asleep.

At that moment Lay came in, he must have been done sweeping and noticed me sitting on the bench.

"Chenguang?''

"Yes honey- uuh...urg...I mean, Lay. No, wait, Yixing. Yes?" I said while fussing over my previous words and trying to stay awake. I heard him chuckle and he took a seat next to me.

"What time did you go to sleep?"

Probably around half past I don't remember.

"I never knew hearing someone breath could actually be irritating." Lay laughed a little and leaned to the back on the bench as I let another yawn slip past my lips.

"I guess we're going to have to have that study session in the week. How about you come to my place after work?"

WHAT!? Okay now I'm awake!

I quickly turned to face him in shock and my eyes were probably like two golf balls. Lay must have realized why I reacted that way and lifted his hands up in defense. "I won't do anything! Don't worry! We can even go to your place! I'll even make sure you get home safely so you don't have to worry!" He hurriedly said whole frantically waving his arms to show he meant no harm.

"I'll have to ask my parents first. But it doesn't sound like a bad idea..." He said he'll make sure I get home safely so...

"Oh, I have your number right? Text me later if your parents say yes."

After work had finished I was surprised that I was still awake and nearly fell asleep on the bus ride home and nearly missed my stop. When I got home, Mama had greeted me and then asked me a question that seemed to have slipped my mind.

"Where's your friends, nan nan?"

..............................

Um.....Not here as you can see.

Oh shoot I didn't ask them to come over for dinner!

Oh well, more for me.


I had begged my parents to allow me to go study with Lay. With Mama and Baba here, Luhan's say doesn't really matter anymore. Mama and Baba would probably not have allowed me to go if I didn't mention it was for University. Even though I told Mama that I'm nineteen now and I'm old enough to take care of myself, she told me something. "No matter how old you are you will still be my little baby and my nan nan." Mama used to tell me that when I was younger and needed comforting and she still uses it on me today. Later that day after work, I found myself in Lay's house.

HIS HOUSE IS BEAUTIFUL!

SERIOUSLY!

It's so clean you'll be too scared to even fart in here.

That's how tidy this place is.

I can see my face in the floor....I CAN SEE MY FACE IN THE FLIPPING FLO- Oh my gosh, look at my hair. I quickly fixed my hair which must have looked odd because I was running my fingers through my hair while looking at the floor.

"Cheng-Cheng?" Yes, babe?

"Hm?" Or I could just say that....

"Aren't you going to sit down?" He asked. It was then that I noticed that we were in his lounge and he was sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table waiting for me. He had a few papers and books open in front of him and tapped the spot next to him. I slowly walked to his direction and sat in front of him. Were we alone?

"Um...Is it just us here?" I awkwardly asked, I'm so used to being with him when Sehun or Tao and the others were around but now...

"Yep. My parents are on a business trip for the week so I have the house to myself." Now we are actually alone. Oh my gosh.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Okay.

Phew.

Alone with Zhang Yixing.

Breathe in.....and out....Inhale....Exhale...In through the nose, out by the mouth.

"Is the test about giving birth?" Yixing suddenly asked which made me cough in the middle of my breathing session because that was unexpected.

"N-NO! Here, Kris, my lab partner wrote it down for me..." I told him while handing over the page Kris had given me with the topic.

Lay took a look at it for a few seconds before smiling at me (sup' Dimple, you're looking mighty fine today) and writing a few things on the page in front of him. He beckoned me over so I could see what he was writing down.

"First things first Cheng-Cheng, you have to analyze and research the topics literature in science. Okay?" I nodded and waited for him to continue as he moved closer for me to get a better view.

"The second step would be to perform and demonstrate basic biomedicine techniques and those things alike. You have to understand what your topic is actually about to do this. Are you following me?" Of course I am! I'm making mental notes in my head here.

"Make up some questions and think of various ways to answer it and see which outcome you will get in the end and make up a hypothesis." Yixing, when did you get this close? He was so close to me I could smell him, that sounds creepy and stuff.

He smells like musk...UMPH!

His skin looks so soft, seriously....Does he wear lotion?

Look at those collar bones....

Thank you for being born, Zhang Yixing.

"Are you even paying attention?"

No.

"Uh....I.." What do I say? 'Sorry I was distracted by your good looks and I was too busy sniffing you to pay attention.' yeeaaah, no. Not gonna happen.

"Well, take a look at the things I've written down and write up a report and then make questions and answer them to the best of your ability for now." Anything for you, honey.


How long has it been!? My report was around a thousand words and I had about five questions and ten more to think about. I'm pooped already, I need to restore my energy! Lay had been sitting next to me the whole time, doing some of his own work. I looked back at my own work, sighed and tried to carry on after yawning. How long is this going to take?

Lay started humming beside me, I don't even know if he realized he was humming because he seemed so focused in getting his work done. I should do the same but how can I when Yixing is distracting mye with his good vocals.

Did you by any chance trap a song-bird in your vocal chords, dude? I gripped the pen in my hand harder and tried concentrating and that was hard enough because I just want to sleep right now and Yixing's humming seriously sound soothing.

 Like a lullaby....

My eyelids started feeling heavy and before I knew it, I out.


NO ONE'S POV

Lay had been humming a tune to himself while he completed his own work and Chenguang was busy with hers. He didn't know how long it had been before he felt a weight on his shoulder. He turned his head only to see Chenguang fast asleep and leaning on his side. She must have been really exhausted, at least now he knew why it had been so quiet.

He moved some of her dark strands that had fallen in her face behind her ear and smiled when he saw how peaceful she looked.

One wouldn't assume this girl sleeping beside him had so much energy and enthusiasm. Lay stared at her for a little while longer before checking the time. There was about a half an hour left, he looked back at Chenguang and moved her body into a more comfortable position. When he was sure she was comfy, he leaned his head against hers and fell asleep as well.


Chenguang's POV

I was suddenly woken up by something, a.k.a my phone buzzing in my pocket. I was having such an awesome dream and I can't even remember what I was dreaming about but it was awesome. I felt so comfortable though, the warmth from this person's body is so soothing and the weight on my head wasn't even uncomfortable....

Wait.

Warmth?...

Person?....

BODY!?

I suddenly jerked back causing the person I was resting on top fall onto the floor.

"OW!" LAY!? I fell asleep on LAY!?

OH MY GOSH!

"What..happe- Oh Chenguang....My bad, it seems like we both fell asleep, huh?"

Yeeaaaaah.....

In a rather interesting position no less!

"Um....I....I didn't mean to use you as a pillow or anything. Did I hurt you? I have a big head my bad..." How long had I been asleep?

"It's okay, I haven't slept that good in a while. Oh, it's getting late, I should probably get you home now." Lay, bruh.....Do you know WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?

How can you be so calm about this? Oh, right, someone tried to contact me. I took my phone out to see who it was.

 

From: Luhan

To: Chenguang

Where are you!? Mama and Baba said you went to study.

 

From: Luhan

To: Chenguang

Why aren't you replying?

 

From: Luhan

To: Chenguang

HEY!

The last message was sent a few minutes ago. I guess I slept for too long. I wrote a quick reply to Luhan as Yixing cleaned up around the coffee table.

 

To: Luhan

From: Chenguang

I'll be home soon I'm fine don't worry. See you in a few.

 

"Ready to go, Chenguang?" Lay asked me as he put his jacket on. I nodded towards him and we both left his clean and beautiful house and made our way to mine.

 


Lay had walked me to the apartment that night but he didn't go inside it. It was a quiet walk home, but I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable. We were both tired and I guess we just didn't have anything to say, really.

He left me at the gate of the apartment lot and get this, he hugged me, gave me a pat on my head and said goodbye.

 Zhang Yixing hugged me!

This is progress.

 I had to hurry up to the apartment though, Luhan messaged me again. My parents were obviously wondering why I was so late and I told them we fell asleep. I even had to show them my work I did there for proof, but hey, I got pretty far in one day thanks to Lay.

The next day at University, I actually paid attention and realized the test would happen around next week so I had these few days left to study and bust my gear. When I got to work, I was happier than my usual happy. Lay continued being sweet and nice and a total sugar cube. I was currently sitting next to Tao as we cleaned out the cages. Only, Tao was cleaning....Differently.

"Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena" He sang as he started moving his hand to the front while moving his hips side to side. Oh no...In the middle of work, really Tao?
"Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y cosa buena" Tao's hands were now moving to the back of his head as his hips just continued swaying.

He's making me want to join.


"Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena" I moved to stand next to Tao and did similar movements to what he was doing and we both placed our hands our hips. We then moved our body down a bit while furiously shaking our hips and screaming. "HEEEEEY MACARENA~! AAHAA!"

Suddenly, I heard slow clapping and turned to see Sehun slowly clapping while looking at us with that usual 'blank' expression of his. Lay was there too as he let out a low whistle and then laughed.

OH POOP!

SEHUN AND LAY SAW ME!

More importantly Lay saw me!

They saw me shaking my hips and stuff and my back was facing them!

Uuuungrhhh!!

When I looked again, my jaw dropped.

Lay and Sehun were mocking my macarena dance.

"Ready, Sehun? One, two, three.." Lay said and they both jumped around and screamed.

"HEEEEEY MACARENA!!"


 

"Sehun, I think I'm done for....How am I going to pass this test?" I asked the boy beside me, I was sitting next to Sehun at the counter as customers browsed through the store and cooed at the animals.

 "Study," he told me.

I do study.....

However I feel like it's not enough. Tao, who had been leaning against the counter had heard our conversation and gave me a pat on the shoulder.

"You could always try going over the work you don't know or you're not sure about," Tao suggested.

"So I should basically go over everything?" I said...

This is not an easy chapter and Lay can't help me at the moment, he's busy with his own work. The store bells chimed and another customer walked in, one I happened to recognize.

"Sanghyun-ah!?" It's the guy who lives in the apartment next to Luhan and me!

"Oh, you're....Cheng...Um...Chengu..ang. Chenguang, right?" I don't think my name is that hard to pronounce but yes, it's the fabulous me.

"Yep, what are you doing here?" I asked him, I don't see him much but I doubt he comes to this part of town often

"I wanted to adopt a cat, actually...It's kinda boring in a way when I'm alone so I figured I should get a companion. Can you help me out?" Sure I can, Sanghyun.

I nodded in his direction and showed him the different cats in the store. He finally made his pick with a cute little adorable cat who stared at us in wonder. Sanghyun picked the cut up and started massaging its head as the cat purred in satisfaction. Yeah, I'd probably do the same if Myungsoo had to pet my head like that, hohohohohoho~ AHEM.

Back to business!

When we had reached the counter where Sehun and Tao were, Sanghyun had to sort out some business with Sehun. There are procedures to take before adopting a pet. Store policy, you know? I stood next to Tao as we watched the cat who had decided the counter was comfortable enough to relax and take a bath.

"The cat kinda looks like a leopard, no?" Tao said, now that look closer....The cat resembles a leopard a bit, and a cheetah too.

"That will be all, thanks for taking a pet into your care." Sehun said while stashing some documents away.

"What are you going to name your cat?" I questioned.

"Hmm....Dadoong." He grinned.

Dadoong?

I blinked at him slowly in confusion. "Da, from my sister Sandara, and Doong, from Cheondoong. Da plus Doong is equal to Dadoong." He explained. Wow, his math is on a whole other level.

"Ooooh, I get it." Tao said as he the cats fur. After Sanghyun had left the shop I had tried studying and going over some work so I could be ready for the test in a few days.

"Why don't you just ask your Biology partner to help you? You guys are doing the same topic, right? Find out what you have to study for specifically so that you don't have to go over the whole module. Just ask him which chapters you need to go over instead of which topic." Sehun said. He had a point I could have done that from the start! UUURGH!

I'll ask Kris tomorrow.


Sehun came home with me after work so that we could work on how the stalls and accessories would be set up and sold. When we arrived at the apartment, Mama had answered the door.

"Mama, this is Sehun, a colleague of mine. Sehun, this is my mom." Check out my awesome introduction skills.

"Hello, Ma'am. It's nice to meet you."

"..........Oh my gosh, nan nan! Who is this dashing young man!? Your boyfriend, right? Finally! Sending you to South Korea might have been a good idea after all." Mama said as Sehun stared at her in confusion because he didn't exactly speak the Chinese language.

"No! He's not! He's just here to help me out with something related to work and-" Mama had cut me off as she took Sehun's arm and dragged him to the lounge where Baba and Luhan were.

"Baobeeei~ our nan nan brought home a boy! Look at him, isn't he handsome?"

WOMAN, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!?

Baba stared at Sehun as Luhan looked over at me as if asking for an explanation. Poor Sehun remained clueless as he didn't understand a word Mama was saying.

"Lu Chenguang! I didn't allow you to come to South Korea so you can get a boyfriend! That's it! You are coming with us back to China." Baba you have it all wrong!

"NOOO! What are you saying!? Look at how handsome this young man is! Nan nan, you can stay here and look after your boyfriend. He's so good looking he could be in a drama, don't you think baobei?" Mama said as she patted Sehun's shoulders and Baba silently huffed in the background as he crossed his arms. Luhan looked at Sehun who was awkwardly smiling at Mama who was straightening his collar now.

"If only you knew what they were saying right now, dude." Luhan told him in Korean. "Mama, Baba, I think those two need to get to work." Luhan said in Chinese to our parents, you're a star brother.

"They will do it where I can see them! Here, in the lounge. Since when do girls and boys need to work in rooms, huh? Chenguang, you and your work colleague will work here where I can see you." I simply nodded at Baba has Mama went to put the kettle on to prepare some tea.

Sehun and I worked in silence as Baba would switch his gaze from the television to the two of us now and then. So far we only determined which stall would do what. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out.

 

To: Chenguang

From: Sehun

I want to go home D': I feel seriously uncomfortable.

 

To: Sehun

From: Chenguang

It's a bit odd to work like this when you're not talking. Can you speak, please?

 

To: Chenguang

From: Sehun

I feel like your dad will do something if I speak...

 

To: Sehun

From: Chenguang

Seriously -_- even if he does you won't understand it anyway!

 

To: Chenguang

From: Sehun

Even worse. He could say something about me and I won't even know.

 

To: Sehun

From: Chenguang

Oh, come on Sehun!

"Is this what you two call work? Clicking away on that contraption?" Baba suddenly said as both Sehun and I looked up to face him. "Uh...Right, we'll get back to work Baba!" I said as I looked to Sehun who had mouthed 'I told you so' to me. Hey, don't you look at me like that, you texted me first.

"HAN!" Baba suddenly yelled which startled both Sehun and I.

Luhan came walking into the lounge in a loose pants and sweater. He must have been working on a dance routine for work.

"Yes, Baba?"

"Get the remote for me, please." Baba said as he pointed at the remote which was on a coffee table a few steps away from Baba. Luhan stared at Baba for a few seconds and gave the remote to Baba. "I was busy, you know. You could have gotten that yourself." Luhan stated.

"Let me tell you a story, son. One day I was outside fixing my bike when my father called me. I ran inside to see what he wanted and you know what? He told me to change the channel. However, this television didn't exactly have a remote, you had to adjust it by turning the knobs. I wondered why I had to do it when he could have done that himself, so I thought to myself. One day, when I have kids, I'll ask them to do the same thing for me, and here you are." After Baba had finished, Luhan sighed and went back to working on his dance routine while Sehun was trying to come up with more ideas for the stall.


"Thanks for today, Sehun....My bad that you didn't exactly feel...Comfortable." I stood in the doorway of the apartment with Sehun who had been ready to leave.

"Don't worry about it. Your mom is...Nice. Your dad seems really strict though. I'll see you at work tomorrow. Bye." I waved at him and closed the door and when I turned around Mama was peaking her head out the kitchen doorway.

"What? No goodbye kiss or hug?"

"MAMA!!!"