Chapter 4

Fluffy's Refuge

~Fluffy’s Refuge~

Suho didn't come in today but said to run the shop as per usual. Tao and Lay weren't here yet, however Sehun was. There weren't any customers here so it was just myself and him, it's so awkward.

It's awkward for me because he's just sitting at the counter with his earphones and he's playing temple run on his phone.

 I sat down next to him and he looked at me before quickly looking back at his game, acting as if I weren't there. I watched him play as his fingers rapidly swiped across the screen before he made a silly slip up and the character went smack into a mountain-like wall. Sehun sighed and he turned to face me while looking a bit frustrated, probably because he lost.

"You see what your presence does!?" Sehun growled and I flinched. What brought that on? I snarled and raised a brow.

Oh, sore loser are we?

"You lost because of your own stupid mistake! Don't come and blame it on me!"

"Why are you here!?"

Because I was born.

"I work here!"

And that too.


Sehun didn't reply after that and sighed and looked out the window beside the counter. Did he really find me this annoying that my presence makes him want to jump off a cliff? Seriously, what did I ever do to this guy that he has to treat me like this? I’m not a doormat for him to walk over and it’s about time he realized that!

"Sehun?.."

"What now!?" He exasperatedly rolled his eyes.

"Why do you hate me?" I'm not hurt by it I'm just seriously curious, what did I do that made him so mad at me?

Sehun stared at me for a few moments and he turned to face me but instead chose to look towards the floor. He sighed again and ran his hand through his now dyed hair (blonde btw). "Look, I don't hate you."

So he says.

"I just...I'm not good with people, okay? I prefer living my life with just me. I like peace and quiet and you're like the total opposite of that. You're loud, irritating, persistent and not to mention annoying. Don't feel offended by that."

How can you tell me that and not expect me to be offended!? Just listen to those excuses? Hasn’t he heard that excuses sound best to the people who make them?

"Chenguang, I don't like clingy people nor do I like people who look as if they've just stepped into Disney Land. I'm simply here as your work colleague and nothing more. Are we clear?"

We most definitely aren't.

"No, no we aren't." I said while staring at him straight in the eye. How does he expect me to work in a comfortable environment for months without feeling comfortable around him?

"Oh Sehun, I may be annoying sometimes but don't you start pointing out my flaws when you have your own! You're sarcastic and rude and if my mother had to see your manners, she'd make you swallow your foot and you'd be six feet under right now. I can't say I understand you or where you're coming from but that shouldn't influence your actions towards other people." I feel like I'm in some kind of drama right now giving a motivational speech to a person with a major problem.

Where's my oscar!?

"Starting from today Oh Sehun, I, Lu Chenguang refuse to tolerate your nonesense! We’re friends. Whether you like it or not!" I can see my dress and heels that I'll wear to the red carpet already. Sehun is currently staring at me awkwardly and seems speechless. Yeah, be speechless Sehun. I didn't need a script for that. Why am I not famous!?

"You're seriously annoying, you know that?"

I smiled at him and took his hand in my own and gave it a light shake while he simply looked at me. Again.

"Friends now, okay? You will be my friend and you will like it. Let's start over, Sehun. I'm Lu Chenguang, I'll be working with you from now on, look after me, okay?" I offered him a sweet smile and tightened my grip.

Even if it was just a tiny one that looked more like a smirk if anything, Sehun smiled and shook his hand with my own.

"Nice to meet you, Chenguang, I'm Oh Sehun."


 

The giddy feeling of accomplishment stayed with me throughout the remainder of the day. I made a friend! I felt like I just overcame a milestone!

I washed up the dishes after supper and I hummed Infinite's Come Back Again and although I was a bit off tune I was happy.

Luhan stared at me with cautious and guarded eyes from the doorway with a cup of coffee in his hand. Normally, I would throw a hissy fit before even touching the dishes but tonight I seemed to be in high spirits.

'Odd..' Luhan thought to himself as he took a sip from the cup and observed the scene in front of him suspiciously.

I felt like a hero that night. I finished up my chores without complaint and happily did my homework. Just as Luhan was about to tell me to get ready to go to bed, I ran up to him and hugged him, skipping off to my room and not even noticing his scared expression.

'Something's definitely odd...' Luhan then thought his sister must be sick, if that's not the case then she either wants something from him or this woman in Chenguang's bedroom is an imposter. Luhan got his phone out and dialed the number of a particular person.

"Hello?"

"Mama?"

"Luhan?.....How weird it is for you to be calling me for a change."

"Mama...something's wrong with Chenguang, I think she's sick."


The next day in uni, I let out a loud yawn which Kris only shook his head at. Our task with our combined efforts lay before us on our desk and professor Kyuhyun was already accepting tasks to be handed in.

"The research project is due today please place it on my desk before you leave this room. If you have failed to do so, consider yourself booked for the afternoon in detention with yours truly." Professor Kyuhyun warned. I quickly turned to Kris with a desperate look in my eyes as it suddenly clicked what not handing in the project would entail.

KRIS!

DON'T HAND IN THE PROJECT!

THE PROFESSOR IS INDIRECTLY ASKING ME ON A DATE AFTER CLASS!!

KRIS, PLEASE!

Kris didn’t even glance in my direction as he got up and took our task up to the Professor looking very much relieved when Professor Kyuhyun took it. "Here you go, Prof."

"Thank you Mr Wu and Ms Lu."

Kris, how could you!?

"Wow, you two really went all out on this project. Well done. I'll look through it later."

I thought we were seatmates.

Did that mean nothing to you, Kris?


After University was dismissed, I made my way to Fluffy's Refuge and couldn't wait to see the events that would take place today.

I wonder how things between Sehun and I will be after yesterday. As I was walking, I spotted Lay walking ahead of me with his bag slung around his shoulder and he had purple headphones around his neck.

Fate, I see what you're trying to do.

"Lay!" I called out to him but he didn't seem to notice or hear me for that matter. I ran a bit till I was behind him and tapped him on his shoulder.

He must have been in his own world because he seemed a bit shocked when he quickly spun around to look who tapped him with widened eyes.

He looked so cute, seriously. 

Unf.

There’s that dimple again.

You lovely boy, you.

He smiled when he noticed it was me, oh gosh, Lay stop, my feels....

"Chen-Cheng, hi! On your way to the pet center?" He asked.

"Yep. I called you but I don't think you noticed. “I giggled. He brings these giggles out of me, gosh.

"Sorry about that, I tend to zone out. I'm kinda tired, I guess...I better get some rest before I end up looking like Tao. Anyway, let's go to the pet store together."

HE'S WALKING WITH ME TO THE PET STORE! My diary will hear about this.

……

……….

Ten minutes in and no words so far.

I don't want an awkward walk.

"Hey, Lay I usually don't see you dress like this. You look nice today!" Nice going Chenguang, this is subtle flirting ladies and gentlemen.

"I know I do."

What?

No.

No, no, no!

He was supposed to get bashful and all ‘Oh no! You’re just saying that!’ and I’d reassure him and stuff.

"Yes…Yes you are.” This is so flirting, isn’t it?

He gave me a raised brow and a taunting smile. Dear me, Lay, for my sake put those dimples AWAY.

"Relax, Cheng-Cheng. I was only teasing you." Lay said as he chuckled and pat me on the head.

HE. TOUCHED. MY. HEAD.

No one touch me right now, oh my gosh!

"Lay, want to play the question game?"

"Sure...You go first."

"Can you sing or dance?"

"I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty confident in both."

Jackpot.

This is my man, you guys. He got me at dance (but he won me with his dimples).

"Now you can ask me a question." I said as we walked on.

"Hmm...When was the last time you cried and why. If it's too personal don't answer."

(AN: Shut Up Flower Boy Band episode two spoiler ahead, read at your own risk.)

"I forced my brother to watch the second episode of a drama Kim Myungsoo starred in and...In that episode.....Byunghee died. Gosh it was so...UMPH! Why, why Byunghee!!?" That episode though, urgh, how could you! I exaggerated my emotions and made sobbing noises as I placed my hand on my chest, looking intensely off into the distance.

"Wow.....Um, so ask me a question." Lay said while watching me get emotional over Lee Minki's role in episode two of SUFBB.

"Okay, so is there anything sensitive about you?" I shrugged.

".....I'll tell you but don't do it to me okay? I don't like it. I get jumpy if someone blows in my neck or something." He shuddered and unconsciously started rubbing his neck with an embarrassed look.

...........

kekekekekekeke~

Hooba dooba.

Wow, Lay.

You should not have told me that.

"I won't do it to you, don't worry."

Lay still gave me a cautious look though, kinda like the one Hagrid had when he said ‘I shouldn’t have told ya that.’

This is great. What could go wrong?

 


"Your 'Mufasa' friend over here might possibly get adopted." Sehun drawled.

THIS IS WROOOOOOONG!!!

"WHAT!? No! I called dibs on Mufasa!" I exclaimed to Sehun and even slammed my hands down on the counter to prove my point. I had my eyes on Mufasa since the day I came here. Lay stood next to me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Didn't you say your brother won't allow it, though?" Lay asked.

True....Luhan probably won't allow this. I really like that kitten though...

"Listen, the person said they might adopt the kitten, it's not definite yet. If I were you, I'd settle things with your brother." This isn't going to be easy. I bit my lip in thought and quickly whipped out my phone to call Luhan.

A few rings later and he picked up.

"What do you want?"

"Luhan! I need you to say yes!"

"No."

"You're not grasping the concept here, Luhan. You had to say yes. This is important!"

I heard him sigh on the other side of the phone.

"What is it?"

"Luhan, you know the pet shop I work at right?"

"Get to the point, I need to get back to instructing the dance class in a few minutes."

"Luhan, there's a kitten here and I really like it very much! Since the day I started working here! I even named it Mufasa, it's really cute and you'd agree if you saw him...Please, Luhan? He might get adopted...I really want a pet of my own..."

"You know how I feel about cats and pets. Can’t you just get a gold fish instead of Simba?"

"It's Mufasa! Also, no! I can't cuddle or a fish!"

"I have to go now, Chenguang. We'll talk about this later."

"No, wait! Luhan-" Aaaand there's the beeeeeeep from the other end..

He hung up...urg!

"Well, I'm no expert but that didn't sound good." Sehun said as he and Lay were listening in on the conversation.

"He said we'll speak about it later..." I said while slouching against the counter, I feel depressed.

"You have until tomorrow I guess. I suggest you start up to your brother." Gee, thanks Sehun.

Tao came in from the back holding a tray of food for the animals and stared at the three of us confusingly.

"What did I miss?"

 


Later that night when I got home I bothered Luhan the whole time.

"I said no, Chenguang!"

"Luhan, this is a pet friendly apartment we're living in!"

"I don't care! Taking care of a pet takes responsibility! They poop, pee, and scratch things. I worked for the things in this apartment."

"I'll buy the pet essentials from my own money and clean up after Mufasa too! He can sleep in my room, Luhan you never got me anything for my birthday at least allow me this small thing!" How dare he make me succumb to this…this….begging!?

"Oh, so you're pulling the birthday card now, huh?  You never asked for anything so I never got you anything, isn't me letting you live here enough!? A pet is not something small, Chenguang." Mufasa is smaller than me and I ain’t no line of longitude.

"........It was worth a shot." I mumbled and slowly walked to my room and plopped myself on the bed hugged my pillow thinking about Mufasa.

My parents never allowed me to get a pet of my own and the only pet they allowed me to get was a goldfish. All I could do was stare at it as it swam in the bowl and ate and pooped and slept with its eyes open.

If I had a kitty I could play with it, take naps with it and even cuddle with it. My mom didn't want to have the responsibility of being a pet owner, my dad just doesn't like pets and Luhan preferred a pet-free life.

This .

Poor Mufasa...poor me.

The door suddenly opened and I quickly turned to face the wall because I knew who it was.

"Chenguang..."

Nope.

I'm mad at you.

You .

"Go away."

The bed suddenly dipped and I felt Luhan's finger poking my head.

He knows how much I dislike that.

"Look at me."

I don't want to!

"You're being really childish for a nineteen year old right now." You're being a grumpy old geezer for a twenty four year old right now.

You flipping fossil.

Luhan was probably annoyed with my attitude by now and pushed me so that I faced his way.

"Listen, I'm strongly against it but if you can show me you can take care of this pet I'll let you keep it but you're taking full responsibility for it! If I think you're not ready to look after it, it's going back to Fluffy's Refuge. Are we clear?" He looked like this was going to cost him a lot and that he’d regret this decision a little but the grin and happiness I felt was nothing compared to that.

I suddenly sat up straight and hugged Luhan who didn’t hug me back but I was too happy to care.

"Crystal clear! I'll look after it! Just watch! Thank you Luhan, you're the best!"

"Urg....."


 

Oh....my....Mufasa

" Bie jia zhuang ni bu dong, ba wo ying zai ni de yan li~"

I swear if I was dazed beyond compare I would have dropped the new cage Lay requested right here and now.

 I just walked in on him singing!

In Chinese!

I could understand!

Oh Lay, you'll definitely be in my eyes you're in them right now.  He wasn't kidding when he said he could sing.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh this booooy!

"Um..L-Lay?" Chenguang! Pull yourself together!

"Hm? Oh Cheng-Cheng, thanks for the container. Put some substrate inside it please. When you're done put this small container of water in the corner of it. Those little plants and this small piece of bark too." I did as he said as he was busy fiddling with something on the other side of me.

"What's this all for? A new reptile or something?" I asked, I'm curious.

"Wrong. It's for an arachnid."

What.....

Arachnid as in...a spider?

 IS THAT WHAT HE'S BUSY WITH HERE NEXT TO ME!

NOPE!

LET ME MOVE!

"Why are you moving so far away? Oh, are you scared of this little guy?" He said as he finally turned around and showed me a hairy being on way too many legs for my liking crawling on his arm.

Lay if we want to make our imaginary romantic relationship work, eight legs over there is unfortunately going to have to go.

"Cheng-Cheng, meet Noodles! Isn't he adorable? Look at his beady little eyes."

Lay, no. Get it away!

Lay, did you just not watch Harry Potter or something!?

Spiders are dangerous!

This spider is too big, the spiders in Luhan's apartment aren't even this big. Charlotte's Web is just a movie you know, this spider is not going to spell your name out or anything.

"Cheng-Cheng, don't tell me you're scared of little old Noodles here. What did this little tarantula do to you?"

It existed, that's what it did to me. I just can't handle spiders. I can't even stare at them for long without getting shudders and then feeling like there's something crawling on my back.

"I really don't like spiders..." I said as I stepped away from Lay and..What was the spider's name again? Spaghetti?

Lay looked at me for a minute before inserting the tarantula into the cage and approaching me.

"It's kinda harmless as long as you don't provoke it. You're so scared of it but did you know that even if you accidently drop it and it falls it's really dangerous. They're probably more fragile than you are."

Lay, you're making me feel like less of a woman here by saying a spider is more fragile than I am.

"Do you want to try holding the tarantula?"

NO!

I shook my head at him and tried backing away but he grasped my hand tightly, preventing me from escaping.

"Just this once, Chenguang. Nothing will happen to you, I'll hold your hand."

That's very nice but no.

I like you and all but there’s a line and I’m drawing it. It's either me or the spider.

"We're gonna hold the spider now, okay?"

He just did not.

He chose the spider over me!

Noodles, you're being a third wheel in this relationship right now.

Lay picked up the spider with one hand as he used the other to hold my own hand in place. This is actually happening. This spider will poison me and I will die. So much for our relationship, Lay....

He placed the spider near my hand and I watched with terrified eyes as it slowly began to crawl its way on my hand.

It doesn't feel nice, I can feel the hairs on my neck rising and I can hear my heart beat in my ears.

Breathe, Chenguang.

Find your happy place. I need some serious counselling after this. Six months of therapy is not enough to cure this!

"You can breathe now."

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was keeping in and realized the spider was back in its cage and Lay was still holding my hand and smiling at me. That smile, wow and that dimple.

"Hey guys, just letting you know it's time to go on brea-....Am I interrupting something?" Tao raised a suggestive brow as he leaned against the doorway.

YES!

"What? No!" Yixing immediately let me go.

HE'S IN DENIAL! DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!

"Suuuure whatever you say. It's break time, Chenguang don't forget to take Mufasa home after work!" Tao sang as he strolled away.

Oh, right!

I'm going to be so broke after this but it's all worth it.


 

“What is that?" Luhan said with a tone of shock as his eyes roamed over the bundle in my hands.

"Luhan, meet Mufasa, Mufasa meet your uncle Luhan."

"Uncle? Um, no."

"You are under no obligation to disown him! Now watch over him for about half an hour while I go to the supermarket to buy pet essentials." I need to hurry down to the market and get kitten kibbles and a bowl and also a bed for Mufasa. Half of my salary spent on Mufasa and the rest on his essentials.

 The sacrifice a parent has to make.

I made my way out the apartment to the supermarket and immediately went to the pet section. Oh~ this bed looks so cute! It's got little paws all over it.

"Oh no...It's the walking fashion disaster."

"Peasant?" Two familiar voices said beside me. I looked to the side only to see Taemin and Key. Taemin was holding a bag of dog food while Key was holding a shopping list and looking at me with slight distaste.

"Well if it isn't Taelor and Locket."

"It's Key!"

"What are you doing out here at night, peasant?"

"Shopping for pet essentials for my new kitty, Mufasa. You guys?" Might as well take the pet bed anyway.

"I was going grocery shopping and unfortunately Key came over and wanted a lift to buy dog food for his dogs. Why I'm the one holding the food and he's holding my shopping list, I don't know. Jonghyun's sleeping so we left him to sleep. Isn’t it dangerous for you to be out this late?" Taemin asked.

Key heavily sighed and rolled his eyes. "She's fine, Taemin. No one's going to target her while she looks like that. Her clothing is making the old curtain in my mom's room look more fashionable than her."

I'm standing right here!

Does this guy not have manners or did he dump it in a ditch somewhere?

"Ignore him, Chenguang. Do you want to walk home with us?" Taemin asked as he nudged Key in his side causing the latter to groan in protest.

"No I'm fine I don't live too far from here. I just have to get kitty kibbles and a bowl plus a litterbox and I'll go." I said while giving Taemin a smile. He nodded before we said our farewells as I got what I needed. I walked out the store with shopping bags containing the items I bought as I made my way home in the night. It's quiet and I don't see anyone around though. Maybe I should have taken Taemin's offer....

.....................

I've read way too many stories and seen too many dramas to know what's going to happen next. When I walk passed an alley a guy will grab me and dispose of me! Luckily for me there is no alley on my way home, nyahahahahahahahaaa!

There is however someone standing in the middle of nowhere with a hoodie on.

He's facing me, what do I do?

This is it.

It's over for me.

Tell Myungsoo I loved him.

I'll just walk pass the guy and act calm. Yeah, act like he's not there. LET'S DO THIS!

"What are you doing out this late?"

"PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!" I blurted and shut my eyes.

"...What?"

"I don't have any more money I spent it on Mufasa and this pet essentials and maybe a can of soda but I have no money! I'm serious! Check me! Gently please, though, I'm scared enough as it is."

"Calm down, woman! It's me!"

"Wha-what?"

The hooded person then took off his hood and looked a bit miffed at what happened.

"Sehun!?...." I gasped and let out a small whimper of relief. "S-Sehun.....Dude! What's your problem!? I think I just swallowed my heart!" I'm way too sensitive for this.

"Good evening to you too, friend." Sehun said as stuck his hands in his pockets and said 'friend' in an almost mocking tone.

"Sehun....I'm so happy to see you that I'm angry at you for it!" I don't know what to feel right now. Happy because Sehun's here or angry because there wasn't really a reason to be afraid because...It's Sehun of all people.

"I'm assuming you went shopping for Rafiki-"

"Mufasa."

"-due to the amount of pet products I see in the bag."

"Yes, Sehun. If you don't mind, I'm trying to get home!" I said as I huffed in response and got ready to continue my way home.

"I wouldn't usually care but since we're...urg...Dare I say it...friends now, be careful on your way home. I saw this weird looking group of people who looked like potential horror movie casts."

Well that made me stop dead in my tracks. I slowly looked at Sehun who waved at me and got ready to walk home himself.

I can take care of myself.

Like Key said, ain't nobody gonna kidnap me when I look less fashionable then his mom's old curtain.

It's gonna be a normal walk home.

Except it's dark.

With no one around.....

..........

"SEHUN, WALK ME TO MY APARTMENT!"

"WHAT!!?"


 

Luhan ran a hand through his hair as he paced up and down in the living room. He let out a stressed snarl and looked at Sehun and then at me. "I knew I should have kept a closer eye on you."

"Listen...." I tried explaining.

"No, you listen! Do you have anything to say for yourself!? Now is the time to say it!"

"Okay, so I was-"

"Did I say you could talk!? The one time I allow you to go out at night and this is what happens!?"

"..........."

"SAY SOMETHING!"

SERIOUSLY?

"Are you being serious right now!?"

"ARE YOU!!? I let you go out alone because I trusted you! Now you come home with a boy! Are you pregnant?.....Ooooh, the neighbours are going to talk....Oh no, I'm not tolerating this. You could have at least chose a guy who looks....I don't know, decent!? He looks like he forced you into thi-“ Luhan stopped and let out a mortified gasp. “IS HE ABUSING YOU!!? I should have known all along, my sister is too dense and oblivious for her own good!"

"LUHAN!!!! LISTEN TO ME!"

"........"

"I went out as I said to get things for Mufasa, here they are!” I held up the bag with the items I bought. “ This guy is Oh Sehun, a colleague of mine he works with me and I saw him on my way home. I got too scared to walk home alone and asked him if he could walk here with me because apparently there are some weird looking people walking around!" I finished explaining, finally. I just got home and Luhan didn't even let me in and started a game of twenty questions the minute he saw Sehun.

"......Oh"

"Hi...I'm Sehun.."


 

Meanwhile next door

"Omo! Hyung, your neighbour's sister might be pregnant!" Exclaimed a boy who held an empty glass on the side of the wall.

"Mir, that's none of our business, when are you going home!? I have to sleep!" A tired looking boy said as he sipped on some water in his kitchen, he's the one living in the apartment.

"But Cheondoong, aren't you curious!? Her brother is lecturing her right now and by the sound of it, the guy who got her preggers is there too!" Mir said.

"WHAT!?"

At hearing this, Cheondoong, whose name is actually Sanghyun took the now empty glass he drank from and went to stand next to Mir and listened through his very own glass.

"Oh my gosh, hyung, his name is Oh Sehun!"

"I know I heard!"

At that moment another male appeared with his jacket on.

"Alright, I'm ready to go. Mir let's go I'll give you a ride home and-.....What are you two doing?" The new male said as he stared at Mir and Sanghyun who were pressed up against the wall with a glass against their ears.

"Shhh! Seungho be quiet! I'm trying to hear whether or not Doongie's hot neighbour is pregnant!" Mir furiously whisper-yelled.

"WHAT!!? This I gotta hear, Cheondoong where do you keep your glasses again?" Seungho asked and then Mir and Cheondoong shushed him angrily before trying to hear more.


"So you're not...you know....expecting?" Luhan cleared his throat.

"No, Luhan! I refuse to pee on a stick just to prove it!" I retaliated.

"I was planning on sending Sehun here just in case cause there's no way I'm going to a store to buy a box of pregnancy tests."

"Can I go home now?" Sehun asked.

"Chenguang, do you see this? He wants to go home, imagine if you were pregnant and he wanted to just get up and leave like this!"

"Luhan, will you stop!?"

"FINE! You're not allowed out at night without me, understand!?"

"You're taking away my freedom now!?"

"You caused this! I want you ready for bathed and in bed in the next hour, missy!"

"It's Saturday!"

"The hour starts now." Luhan said as he gave Sehun and Chenguang a suspicious look and went to his own bedroom. I then turned to face Sehun who looked sort of amused at what just happened.

"What a loving family you have." He dryly said.

 Don't you smirk at me.

"I have to get a home now and you have to get bathed and in bed in the next hour." Sehun announced while turning around getting ready to leave. I should probably express my gratitude to him...

"Hey, Sehun!" He stopped walking and turned to look at me.

"Thank you...for walking me home." Oh my gosh...

I just thanked Sehun...

Much awkwardness.

Sehun looked at me for a few seconds and turned back around and continued walking.

That was stupid.

Why did I do that?

"No problem!" He yelled as he disappeared around the corner.

Points to me.

I smiled to myself and made my way to the bathroom to get ready for bed before Luhan loses his head and rats me out again. Who is he, my mom!? Urg, I don't get that boy.