Chapter 2

Fluffy's Refuge

~Fluffy’s Refuge~

 

Sehun’s POV

 

"Key is going to kill us and ship us off the Bermuda Triangle to disappear..."

"You mean he's going to kill YOU I didn't feed Gherkins-"

"Garcons."

"-leftover chicken."

Meanwhile, Lay's in the pet care room with Chenguang and I'm here with these two guys named Jonghyun and Taemin who were currently bickering over Garcons.

"I really didn't expect him to poop worms from chicken though.." Jonghyun said while fumbling nervously with his hands.

"You know what they say, hyung, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

It's a box of chocolates, you're going to get chocolates!

"Taemin where does a box of chocolates come in here!?"

My point exactly. What's taking Lay and Chenguang so long!? If I spend another five minutes with these two I'm going to ship them to the Bermuda Triangle myself!

"Gurgles is going to be just fine!" Chenguang exclaimed as she came out disposing of the gloves and gave a reassuring towards Taemin and Jonghyun.

"The dog's name is Garcons." I corrected her.

"Right. Like I said, Fifi's going to be just fine. Just a bit of canine worms is all. Here take these tablets, crush it into the food if possible." She said while handing over the tablets.

Fifi?...That wasn't even close to Garcons!

Lay came out as well cradling the little French poodle in his arms and smiled.

"I don't think Garcons got it from the chicken though. After giving the dog the pill, give it this medicine for the gas and runny tummy using this syringe. He should recover in no time." Lay said while handing the poodle over to Taemin, who made sure to keep Garcons a safe distance away from his body.

Smart kid.

"Thank you so much! Taemin I'm going to live!" Jonghyun exclaimed excitedly while shaking Lay and Chenguang's hands. Taemin however, wasn't taking any chances and instead chose to eye Garcons suspiciously.


 

Chenguang's POV

It's actually fun here at Fluffy's Refuge. Bonding with Lay and Tao is as easy as pulling up my pants. Sehun was a different story, every time I attempt to talk to him he has a sarcastic remark to give.

He probably got coal for Christmas. Bonding with Sehun is like buying this cool new jeans but I can't pull it all the way up cause my thighs won't allow it. In other words, Sehun can't be reasoned with at present.

It was almost time for us to go on break but we just had to tend to one last customer by the name of Heechul and his cat Heebum. I was currently helping said customer.

"So Heebum's not sick?" He asked while staring at his cat.

"Nope he looks perfectly healthy according to Lay but if you're still not sure we can run some tests and I'll have Lay take it to a lab for further testing. Besides that, Heebum seems just fine. Your cat probably wasn't eating because it grew bored of the food. Cats can get picky too. It's like eating bibimpap over and over every night." I explained while tickling Heebum under the chin.

"So I should just change the food and see whether or not my cat eats it?" He asked sounding a bit unsure.

"Basically, yes. But, like I said. If Heebum still refuses to eat bring your cat here ASAP. "

"Will do. Thanks by the way." Heechul said while walking out the doors and taking his leave with Heebum in tow.

"Oh my GOSH. Tao, did you see that."

"See what?"

"That Heechul guy is all kinds of hot! And we have his contact details!" I squealed while looking in the direction Heechul left. I made the right decision in coming to South Korea.

"Chenguang, those contact details are for customer purposes only...He's probably too old for you anyway...Wait how old are you?" Tao asked me as he put up the 'Currently on break' sign.

"I'm nineteen and he's good looking. So there. I turn twenty next year. I had to wait till I was nineteen to actually get a job. Also, my brother wouldn't want me sitting around his apartment doing nothing whole day and wants me to contribute to living there." I explained it to him as I screamed to let Lay and the others know we're on break.

"You're nineteen? I'm twenty one. Sehun's twenty. I guess you're like...Officially the youngest here."

What...Me!?

"Wait then how old is Lay!?"

"Twenty three."

Well, slap me with Kim Myungsoo from Infinite and call me his wife, Lay's older than me!?

That…That’s…That’s so hot!

He’s my ‘oppa’ as they would say!

Out of everyone here, Lay is probably my favourite for sure.


It was finally break time and I spent it trying to interact with my colleagues more because whoop-dee-doo I didn’t pack lunch. The second I sat next to Sehun, he shot me an offending look as if I just committed a huge crime.

“Do you have a sec?” I asked with a smile, choosing to ignore the way he glared at me.

“A second has passed.”

And look, here comes more seconds.

“Can you just listen to what I have to say for a quick minute?” I whined and lightly slapped him which only made him narrow his eyes even more at me.

“I don’t mind listening to you as long as you don’t mind me not actually listening to you.” Sehun grimly smiled and turned away from me, as if that would make me go away. I refused to move as we both sat like that for a good few minutes or so but I admit, I’m a chatterbox, I will not and cannot shut up.

“What’s the difference between a guitar and a fish?” I excitedly bounced in my seat and stared excitedly at him as all I got in return was an unimpressed look pleading for me to just go away. “You can’t tuna fish.” I finished and laughed loudly and Sehun let out a painful whine.

“You’re not as bad as I thought you were.” He muttered with his face in his hands, he looked like he was grieving. I’m not bad company! “You’re much worse.”

When is this man ever going to say something nice to me?

Sehun turned around and faced me with a pleading gaze. “I need something only you can provide for me right now.”

“What? What is it?” I happily asked, finally I’ll be of some use to him!

His face suddenly turned sour and he made a shooing motion towards me. He was probably thinking that whoever allowed me to go on break should be arrested for this treacherous crime. “Your absence.”

With a huff, I got up and stalked my way over to a much more welcoming company.


I sat beside Tao who was brushing the fur of a Great Dane who diligently sat with his tongue handing out, occasionally Tao’s hand.

“Hey, Tao?”

“Hmm?”

“Does Sehun ever say anything nice or does he just not like me in particular? I he even friendly?” I had to know, it was bothering. I was barely here for a month and it’s like Sehun refuses to acknowledge me or even give me the time of day.

“Sure he is,” Tao beamed at me, “Sehun is super nice when he’s quiet. When he’s quiet, he’s probably the nicest guy here-“

A clearing of the throat from behind us made both Tao and I freeze. We turned slightly and quickly grinned at Sehun who stood behind us with a raised brow and hands shoved deep in his pockets. “Sehun, hey!” I grinned. “We were just talking about you.”

“Yes, I know.” He replied, “I heard everything while I was standing here the entire time.”

I said it before and I’ll say it again. I’d make a horrible ninja.


You know who you just can’t go wrong with? That’s right. I’m talking about Dimples, a.k.a Yixing. We were in the pet care room and he was currently cleaning the counters and putting the equipment away.

“You know what else I don’t get? People who give their small little dogs huge and powerful names.” I was currently doing most if not all of the talking while Lay simply listened and smiled, responding every now and then.

“What do you mean, Chenguang?”

“I mean, say for example, you have this little Chihuahua, right?” I explained and pinched my fingers together to exaggerate the tininess. “Then you call out the dog’s name and yell ‘HERCULES!’ and you expect a pit bull or a husky but out comes your Chihuahua and next to it is Hulk, the sausage dog.”

Lay laughed and, oh my gosh, it was music to my ears. I just adore him, he’s so sweet, and he looks so soft and I just want to take him home and feed him all sorts of confectionaries.

 "Hey Lay, listen to this riddle my brother told me. Nobody and Somebody are in a tree. Nobody falls down and Somebody went to help Nobody."

Lay blinked owlishly at me and just by that look I could tell I lost him already.

"Who is in the tree." I said while looking at him like a kid in a candy store. He looks so adorable with that baffled look on his face.

"Um.....Somebody?" He attempted.

"Somebody went to help Nobody. Who is in the tree."

"I don't know..."

"Who is in the tree. It’s a statement, not a question."

"Sorry Chenguang, I really don't know."

"Lay, Who is in the tree." I laughed at him even though he’s not getting this.

"Chenguang I give up I really don't know."

"Lay, Who is in the tree. Who. Not Somebody or Nobody but Who."

His mouth curved into an ‘o’ shape as he hit his fist in the palm of his hand.

“That’s a good one, I’m so getting Sehun with that.” He laughed.


My working hours for the day eventually came to an end as Suho locked up the store and Tao and I observed Sehun getting frustrated by Lay.

"Who is in the tree!" Lay screamed.

"I DON'T KNOW FOR THE 11TH TIME!" Sehun replied with much anger.

"SEHUN WHO IS IN THE TREE!?"

"ANYONE!"

"ANYONE WASN'T EVEN MENTIONED!"

"THEN I DON'T KNOW!"

"IT'S WHO! WHO IS IN THE TREE!" Lay finally cracked and gave the answer.

"........I'm so done with you, Yixing. So done."

I love my job.


When I came home from an interesting day at work, I made my way to the apartment I share with my older brother. It's technically his apartment but my clothes are already in the wardrobe so I technically live here now.

"Bro, your favorite little sis is home!" I announced while taking my shoes off and making my way to the fridge to look for something to eat. It's like the first thing I do when I get home. Food first, other things later.

Suddenly, Darth Vader's theme started playing and my brother showed up in the kitchen doorway holding his phone, so that's where the music comes from.

"Hear this, Chenguang? It's your ring tone for whenever you call me from now on. I was going to use One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy but that's mom's ring tone." My brother said while walking towards the table and taking the left over pizza that I took out the fridge for me and put it in the microwave.

"Oi! Give it back! I took it out for me." I said while placing my hands on my hips to show him I was not impressed.

Chenguang used the Mother’s Disciplinary Pose.

It wasn’t that effective.

"I live here, this is MY apartment, you just popped up here out of nowhere with no place to stay and I, unfortunately, am capable of feeling sorry for you and allowed you to stay here."

Um, no.

“Mom threatened to stop sending you money every month and she'd ship you back to China if you didn't take me in.”

“Shush. You know I’d take you in any way!” He defended.

He took the now warm pizza out the microwave and plopped his on the chair while taking a bite out of said pizza.

Just look at that cheese...Urg. I took it out for me not him.

"Why am I related to you!?" I asked while going to the pantry to get some instant ramen instead.

"Because we share the same parents. Who, by the way, called earlier requesting for you. Better call them back." Luhan told me while smirking in my direction.

"You know, you and Sehun would totally get along." I told him while getting the pot ready for the ramen.

"Seha? Who's that?"

"Sehun. A guy who's fluent in sarcasm and if he persists I'm going to arrange a date between the counter at work and his face."

“Violence isn’t good, abstain from that before you’re fired.”

I huffed. “I probably won’t even have the guts to do that, okay? So chill.” Besides…Sehun somewhat scares me.

At that moment that moment, his phone played Sephiroth's theme song, One Winged Angel.

Mom is calling.

He made no movement to answer his phone and chose to stare at me expectantly.

Sigh.

Why is it always me!?

I quickly picked his Blackberry up and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Chenguang! nān nān, I missed you! " Nān nān means little darling or baby and she's usually always calling me that.

"...Hello, mama..."

"OI! Sound a bit more excited to hear your mother! You're lucky I even called asking for you, I don't even call your brother!"

"You don't call him because he never answers your calls."

".......You're still lucky I even called! I hope you're being fed well too. Is Luhan treating you nicely? Oh and let me know whether or not you made it to that school you applied for. I'm not sending you there just to work. I was devastated when Luhan left too."

He makes me clean my room, I rarely get pocket money, his friends come over and stay up late, he takes my food, I can't get peace and quiet when Manchester United plays because Luhan's screams are so loud and I have to deal with the neighbours.

"Define 'nice' mama.”

"Nān nān, be nice to your elder brother he's letting you live with him."

"Mama can't you send me money so I can buy my own apartment?"

"Chenguang, you're safer with your brother. Life is so expensive nowadays just put up with Lulu-poo, okay? I have to go now, international calls are expensive and your father is threatening to cut the phone line saying the phone bill is going to sky rocket. Oh, and we love you, bye~"

"Bye Mama, love you too."

After the call with my mom I turned around and was met with Luhan's blank stare, he gave me an envelope he produced from his pocket that remained unsealed. With a curious gaze, I looked up confusedly at him.

“It’s from that university you applied for.”

I practically nearly ripped his hand off as I tried to grab the envelope and opened it with shaky hands.

“I can’t!” I protested. “You do it!”

Luhan rolled his eyes and before he could take it from me, I snarled at him and mimicked Gollum’s voice. “IT’S OURS!”

“Then open it!”

I stared at the envelope with great unease at bit my bottom lip. I gave Luhan a crestfallen look, what if I didn’t get in? I’d have to go back to China and study there and play slave to my parents. I do not want to go back to massaging Baba’s toes and making tea for the aunties and uncles and neighbours who come over.

Luhan probably go impatient and took the letter.

“PRECIOUS!!!” I yelped.

He tore it open and took the page out. He rolled his eyes and shoved the page to me. “Congratulations, Smeagol.”

“What…”

I shakily took looked at the print and all it took was the word accepted to get a squeal out of me and I tackled my brother to the floor and placed kisses over his cheeks.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”

I nuzzled my cheek against his and showed him the page with my 1000 watt grin.

Luhan scoffed. “Rub it in, why don’t you?”

I took the page and started rubbing it all over his face as a series of protests left his mouth.


After calling my mom who congratulated me (for an hour with Baba’s voice threatening to disconnect the telephone line in the background because the long distance calls were pricey) my happy mood was instantly downgraded when the game came on. You see, I’m not a fan of sports. It was compulsory in my old school and I just didn’t enjoy it. Where in my job application would they ask me if I could dodge a ball for a veterinarian post? Sport isn’t my thing, I don’t even know how to play soccer, can’t do it.

Yet here I sat with a disgruntled look etched onto my face and my arms crossed in front of the television and next to me Luhan was sporting a Man United t-shirt and popcorn in a bowl which the floor and couch got to indulge in more than Luhan’s could. I ate a stray popcorn from my hair (I don’t know how Luhan eats popcorn) and sighed. An episode of Shut Up Flower Boy Band was probably airing right now and I’m missing out because Luhan’s watching the game and since he lives here it’s his tv and his rules.

Myungsoo…I’m sorry…Your Chengie-wengie can’t watch your drama.

"YEAH GO MAN UNITED! WHOOOHOOO!!!"

See what I have to go through?...

"Lulu, please....Shut Up Flower Boy Band is on and I can't miss it Myungsoo's gonna be in it!"

"They'll show a repeat at 2AM, this match is live you don't understa-YES! SCORE!"

"You don't let me stay up that late!"

"I know."

"Luhan!"

"Shhh!"

"Luhan it's Kim Myungsoo!"

"And it's Manchester playing! Myunga's in like...Every episode!"

It's Myungsoo. Of course he's in every episode! He's Kim Myungsoo! This is injustice. Kim Myungsoo's face was meant to be stared and admired at by me and I will see to it that I do so.

After the game was done and Manchester successfully won which was easy to tell because Luhan was being oddly generous today and actually gave me some won to buy hot cocoa on my way to work tomorrow.

"What's this for?" I asked while eyeing him suspiciously.

"I'm your older brother I care for you and I have to look out for you. Here, buy some hot cocoa. Don't go to bed too late, okay?" He said while messing up my hair and smiling at me.

He changes his attitude like he changes his underwear, seriously.

"Oi! Luhan! You said I could watch Shut Up-"

"I know what I said! I'll record it for you, it's late go to bed."

"............"

"Now, Chenguang."

"...I don't like you."

"You don't mean that, goodnight."

"........"


2:00 AM

Luhan's Apartment: The Lounge

Chenguang's POV

"Luhan's obviously not going to record this. Episode one! This is my Flower Boy Band United Moment! Oh my gosh it's oppa!"

2:25 AM

Lee Minki!!! HE'S BYUNGHEE-HEHEHEHEHEHEEE~!!"

oh snap Luhan's sleeping..Shhh me.. Ai thw lengths I go to as a fan for Myungsoo.

"I'm not in looooooove~" I don't know this song but I know that line.

2:36 am

I NEED TO GO TO WORK TOMORROW!

But...

3:30 AM

"Oppa looks so cool when he fights....urg I can't anymore.

It's too much!

No! Not commercial! NOT COMMERC-

Flipping commercial breaks.

3:35 AM

Unf!

Oppa dat look.

"OPPAAAAA!!! MARRY ME! MARR-"

"CHENGUANG!"

Aish!

 

 


Monday

"Don't talk to strangers."

Here we go…The mommy speech.

I don't talk to strangers,they talk to me.

"Don't accept lifts from people you barely know."

How old do you think I am?

"Make sure you eat something, you can't think on an empty stomach."

"LUHAN! I get it! Don't talk to strangers, don't accept lifts from strangers and use the money you gave me ONLY on edibles. Can I go now, I'll miss the bus." I told my brother who was seeing me off at the bus stop waiting for his bus too. Luhan works as a dance instructor at a little studio. It's one of the things he's good at and one of the things he likes doing.

"Fine...Be safe okay?"

"I will, bye Luhan!" I bid my brother farewell as I quickly boarded the bus. It was filled with people, old, young, you name it. Usually I'd be at Fluffy's Refuge today but I already gave notice to Suho that I would only be available after the University was dismissed. Weekends however I start at 7. I was about to take a seat but..

"Oh! Isn't that the girl from that pet place!?"

Someone knows me.

"Hey! Over here!"

No talking to strangers. See, this is why I don't like public transport!

"Jonghyun, shush! People are looking! No, wait Jonghy- OI! KIM JONGHYUN! Auuurgh!!!!"

Just then I felt someone gently tap me on my shoulder and when I turned around, I saw the boy from a few days ago.

I remember him!

He came in with that dog, what was the dog's name again...Giggles?...

"Hey there! I didn't know you boarded this bus! Remember me? I'm Kim Jonhyun, the boy from a few days ago, I came in with Garcons?"

Yeah that dog, that's its name!

"I remember, hi. Nice to see you again." I'm gonna be polite.

"Why don't you sit with Taemin and I? We're going to SM Arts, where are you headed?"

Oh no, he wants to know where I'm going.

I'm probably gonna disappear before this day is over.

I just know it.

It's okay Chenguang, take it easy, remember what Luhan told you! Oh no he's leading me to the back.

That way no one will see me and they'll dispose of the evidence.

"Taemin scoot over let the lady sit in the middle!"

No Taemin, don't.

"Fine...Here you go miss, you may sit here."

Taemin, how could you?

I reluctantly sat in-between these two males that I barely knew. Ten minutes and already Luhan's warnings are like poop under a shoe.

"Um...So how's the doggie doing? Good I hope?" Yes, Chenguang. Small talk is good.

"Garcons is good actually. Key never found out, you saved me you know that?" Jonghyun said while trying to get comfortable in his seat.

Oh gosh, how long is this bus ride?


As time passed I eased up around Jonghyun and Taemin, the two were actually quite an amusing pair. Both go to SM Arts. A school focusing on singing, designing, dancing, drawing, acting, things like that. Jonghyun's majoring in singing and Taemin in dancing. Eventually I told them that I was going to the University of the Inquisitor (Totally made up and inspired by Dragon Age Inquisition.)

"You're attending that school? You must be really smart then!" Jonghyun said in awe as Taemin let out a low whistle while staring at me.

"Actually I just like Biology so I took a course in Biomedicine. I'm not really good at other stuff. I mainly scored high in Bio, my other subjects were okay but not as high as Bio. It's crucial I scored high there so I could pick the Veterinarian course. Enough about that, what about you guys? I can't sing or dance. My brother told me I sing best when I don't sing at all. As for my dancing...I have the grace of an elephant with four left feet."

They both silently stared at me,

Why won't they say anything?

"You can't be THAT bad?" Jonghyun said, trying to make me feel better.

In my head I'm Katy Perry and I've got the dancing skills of Quest Crew.

Don't you question me.

"Well...I think my brother took all the singing and dancing genes when he was born and left none for me." It sounds like a logical explanation.

"Wow...Maybe I'll try to teach you how to dance if you're up for it." Thanks Taemin, but Luhan already tried and it was a disaster. So much for Just Dance.

"Nah it's fine. The 'break a leg' saying will probably apply to me..Literally. Oh, here's my stop. First day and all. Bye you two! I'm Chenguang by the way!"

"Bye." The two chorused, they totally sound like singers now.

I left the bus and headed towards the gates of the huge building with the University's name on it.

There's butterflies having a flutter's night out in my guts right now...


"Here's your schedule along with your student ID. A guide will be provided to you shortly, please wait in the front of the office."

So uptight, sheesh. I'll just go wait in the front of the office now.

Waiting....

Waiting......

Hmmm...

I'm bored I'm gonna amuse myself.

How would you describe the taste of water?

......Tasteless? I guess...Is that even a taste?

If ghosts can go through walls and stuff why don't they fall through the ground when they stand?

I dunno I'm not gonna ponder on that before I scare myself.

.....Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of a bottle?

.......That is a very good question!

Okay whatever. How about tongue twisters!

How much wood would a wood chuck wood if would chuck duck....duck.....oh snap.

Okay, new one.

A tutor who tooted the flute tried to tutor two tooters to toot, said the two to the tootser....FFFFFUUDGE!!!!

"URGH!!! A tutor who tooted the flute tried tooting....Oh snickerdoodles! A tutor who tutors....tutors.....toots.......NYAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Atutorwhotootedtheflutetriedtotutortwotooterstoflutesaidthetwotothetutorisithardertotootortotutortwotooterstoflute!” I took in a gulp of air and lifted my fist to the air for a victory punch.

“YAAAAAAAAAASSSS!!!!"

I DID IT! ACED THAT TONGUE TWISTER! I was like rapping that thing!

"Um....Excuse me?" A very cautious, hesitant and unsure voice called out. My shoulders slumped and I face palmed.

.......Why.....

"...Are...Are you Lu Chenguang?"

.....WHYYYYYY!!?

Why does this happen to me?

I slowly turned around to face the person who had caught me trying to perfect that tooting tongue twister.

"...Are...Are you Lu Chenguang?"

.........

I don't think I've ever wanted to not be myself in my life.

I don't want to be me right now.

I don't want to be Chenguang at the moment.

I'm tired of being Chenguang.

I wanna be a unicorn now, property of Lay.

"Miss?"

Right, there's a person here.

"Yes I'm.......I'm.....Lu Chenguang." I did NOT want you to know that by the way Mr Hot Guide. Yes...Very hot indeed.

I said it once and I'll say it again, I made the right decision in coming to South Korea.

"I'm Jongin. Kim Jongin."

Nice to meet you, I want to be your wife.

"I'm your guide for today, I guess. Let's get started shall we?" He said while smiling and he gestured his arm towards me, a silent way of asking me to hook my arm in with his. Look at this, he's already practicing our couple walk!

 I like you, Jongin.

We started the tour and he showed me all the places ranging from the cafeteria to the bathrooms to the different classroom halls etc. Eventually when the tour finished, it was time for a break and Jongin unfortunately left to find his friends.

I am now alone.

"Hey! You! New girl!"

Or not.

This girl came running up to me looking at me with a sort of shocked look in her eyes. She wore a mini skirt and a blouse topped with knee high boots. Fashion I'll just ruin if I ever tried this on.

"Do you know who that was!?" She asked as she blinked hey eyes, her lashes were long, they must be fake.

"Who?" I inquired, still entranced by those lashes of hers.

"That guy you were just with! That's Kim Jongin!"

Oh! She's talking about husband candidate number three..

Number one Kim Myungsoo.

Number two Zhang Yixing, hands down.

Three, Kim Jongin.

"Oh, the tour guy? Yeah met him this morning."

"He's the Kingka in this place and you just talked to him!" Another three blinks and the lashes just flutter. Yes, I just talked to him, and people still do the kingka stuff? Seriously?

"He is? He seemed really nice though.."

"Yes! It's Kai! He talked to you, what did you do to make him talk to you!?" Five more blinks. Them lashes, girl. Them eye lashes.

"He was my tour guide this morning, he showed me around until break.." I explained.

"Oh...That's good I thought for a second he was interested in you! Pfft! As if! Funny, right!?" Woman, blink any faster and you'll probably take flight.

What's wrong with being interested in me!?

"Funny, eh?.." It's not funny at all by the way, you're laughing alone.

"I'm Choi Jinri, but you can call me Sulli. Who are you?"

I'm fascinated by your eye lashes nice to meet you.

"Lu Chenguang...But my friends call me....Chenguang."

"Well met. You can sit with me, Chennie!"

Well met?

Who uses that nowadays!?  Also, Chennie?