Chapter 3

Fluffy's Refuge

~Fluffy’s Refuge~

 

"A tutor who tooted the flute tried to tutor two toasters to-"

Toasters!?

"No, Sulli, listen. It's 'tried to tutor two tooters not two toasters."

I was currently trying to teach Jinri, or as she prefers to be called, Sulli, the tongue twister from this morning.

"Urg! I give up. So, what course did you pick? I'm curious."

"Veterinarian."

"Oh that's great!"

"Yeah"

"Yeah..."

"Yeah.."

This is getting us nowhere.

RING!!!

Great timing.

"Well Sulli, It's been a pleasure but the bell just rang and I have to go report back to the office to get my papers sorted out and stuff. Also to go choose my course and stuff. Then go home, today was just my tour. See you!" I was rushing through it all but I just really wanted to get away, don’t get me wrong I’m actually quite social I’ll start a conversation with ANYBODY.

I quickly packed my things up and hurried towards the office. I didn't forget cause sadly that's where Jongin found me stressing over a tongue twister.

Since I practically just got registered, the lady told me I’d start classes tomorrow with Professor Kyuhyun. Seeing absolutely no point in lingering around, I left campus for work, guess who’s starting early~.

As I made my way out I couldn’t fight off the grin on my face, I actually got in to this place.

Mom, Dad, whatever Luhan, I just want to thank you guys for always being there.

Mama, your nān nān made it! I MADE IT!

I will gladly board the bus to Fluffy's Refuge and go and celebrate.

I could gangnam style in the middle of this hallway, that's how happy I am right now.

Nothing could ruin this day at the moment.


~Fluffy’s Refuge~

 

"Oh, hey Sehun! Glad you could make it now we can open up the store!"

My day is ruined.

"Hey Suho hyung. Oh.....It's here." Sehun sneered as me have me a once over. Unfortunately I can tell the difference between the ‘were-you-forged-by-Sauron-because-girl-you-are-precious’ once over and the ‘what-manner-of-being-are-you’ once over. In this case, it was the latter.

Sehun better be referring to your presence and not me, that Puss-in...what shoes is he wearing today?

"Hello to you, too.." I dryly greeted.

"Behave, you two." Suho warned us as he walked back into that office of his.

Hmm…I wonder what he does in there.

 Suspicious!!!

What's he hiding in there?

"Oh, Sehun, Cheng-Cheng, you guys are here. Hi~” I knew that gentle and sweet tone anywhere.

Hi Lay!

Tis' I!

Cheng-Cheng your unicorn!

"Hi Lay!" I smiled and waved at him enthusiastically.

"I swear I'm the only sane person here." Sehun grumbled.

"Oh shush, Sehun no one's listening to you, you're talking to yourself!"

"Yes, I need to get expert advice from somewhere."

Why that little-

"What did I miss?" Tao waltzed in with a cup of espresso in his hand dressed in sunglasses (it’s winter and he’s indoors I don’t know why he’s still wearing it) looking like a runaway model.

With a big sigh I helped Tao start refilling the animals’ food bowls. Another day at work yet I didn’t mind, I loved this place.


It was my next day at uni and not to mention its early afternoon and I’m sitting in a nearby park with Taemin and Jonghyun who had strained expressions on their faces. Jonghyun was being nice enough to try and hide it a bit but Taemin didn’t even bother.

"And, Can you smile? (smile)
 niga wonhajanha
Niga barajanha
Nae mam maneuroneun-"

Jonghyun held his hands up. “Okay, okay. Stop. We see you’re point, you struggle singing in tune.”

Who does he think he is I don’t care if I sound out of tune in this point, this song’s mah jam! How dare you stop me!?

“I told you guys but you insisted.” I shrugged and slurped the last bit of my chocolate milkshake. My lecture didn’t start for a while so I spent the free time catching up with Key and Taemin in the nearby park, turns out they come here too on their breaks. I could see some people from my uni loitering around here too if I looked hard enough.

“We didn’t think you’d be this bad, though.” Taemin bluntly commented and Jonghyun sent a warning glare in his direction.

I didn’t even attempt to hide the offended look on my face that Taemin oh so nonchalantly shrugged off.

“KIM JONGHYUN! LEE TAEMIN!" A shrill and upset voice echoed throughout the park and we turned to see a boy stomping his way here looking all flavours of angry but wow, he was rocking those clothes.. I however, seemed amused and awed by Key as he stood in front of the table and glared at Jonghyun and Taemin with those feline like eyes of his.

"Why did you two suddenly run off!? I searched the campus for you and never found anything! Are you ditching me? How dare you!"

"Key, you seem angry." Taemin said, he was used to seeing Key's moods so it never really affects him.

"Gee, what gave it away!?" Your posture, your screaming, your face looks like the lead angry bird etc...

"Who is this?" Hopefully not another victim to vent your anger at, but hi I’m Chenguang.

"Er...Chenguang...I attend the university a few blocks from here?" I said while studying Key. It's not every day you meet a male with a better fashion sense then some of the female species.

"Kim Kibum, or Key, call me Key it sounds cooler....What are you wearing?" I looked down and my loose checkered skirt and white shirt with a cupcake on it. What was wrong with it?

I looked up and saw Jonghyun and surprisingly even Taemin cast me sympathetic looks.

What…


 

"And then he told me my checkered skirt makes me look like a picnic table and my eye shadow makes me look like I was socked in my eye during a fight!" I ranted to Sulli as we walked to our classes, the minute I saw her when I got back on campus grounds I let it all go.

"Maybe he doesn't like you?" Sulli said.

"Maybe!?  He probably doesn't! I like this skirt and I hardly wear make up...Sulli, Seoul has hot guys and all but the ones I've been running to seem rude." Sehun, I'm thinking of Sehun. And, when I do, look what happens.

"I'll meet up with you later, there's a lecture taking place in a few minutes, I can't miss it! Bye Chennie!" Off she goes...Sulli, you can't leave me like this I wasn't done venting!

Urg..

Might as well go to my Bio lecture.

When I arrived into the large room that might as well be an auditorium, I took a random seat and waited for the lecture to begin but….

 

.........................

Where is this man?

......................................

Students were all sitting in seats in their groups and I'm just.....here. The lecturer is late, it seems. I'm gonna talk to Taemin. I whipped out my phone and began texting.

To: Taelor Swift

From: Chenguang

I'M BORED, entertain me, Taelor Swift!

 

From: Taelor Swift

To: Chenguang

Taelor Swift? Srsly?...You better change my name back to normal, peasant.

 

To: Taelor Swift

From: Chenguang

NUUUU I dun wannaaaaaa!! You're gonna be Taelor. I shall call you Taelor and you will like it.

 

To: Peasant

From: Taelor Swift

Then you'll be called peasant -_- . I gotta go now, I have to learn a new dance routine talk to Jonghyun. Bye :D

Noooooo!! Taelor, whyyyyyyy!!!?

Fine, I'll talk to Jonghyun.

 

To: Jongzilla

From: Chenguang

JONGZILLA!!! Tis' I! Bored Chenguang, you have been ordered to entertain me!

 

To: Jongzilla

From: Chenguang

Oi.......Jongzilla....Jonghyun....pssssssssst!

 

To: Jongzilla

From: Chenguang

Jongzilla used ignore, it's super effective.

 

To: Jongzilla

From: Chenguang

JONGHYUN ARE YOU OKAY! PLEASE, RESPOND! I'LL BE SATISFIED WITH EVEN A SMALL LITTLE DOT!

 

My phone vibrated with a response and my lips spread into an excited grin.

 

To: Chenguang

From: Jongzilla

.

 

Well played Jonghyun, well played.

"Sorry I'm late! There was a bit of a delay, but it's all sorted out now. Hello, class, I'm your Biology lecturer and professor, Professor Kyuhyun."

I put my phone away to look at the lecturer but all that happened was my mouth opening so wide and my eyes widening.

I'm going to fail.

You can't......

What even.....

How can you hire someone with looks and a charm like that and expect him to teach! You expect me to focus for this!?

"You're all a mixed class, right? All different years? Well, this is just the introduction. I don't know you all so to see who's here today from the new comers let's see...." the professor started calling out names on the roster and I'm already picturing how he's going to tell me I'll fail.

He'll dress up in Gandlaf's clothing from Lord of the Rings, come straight up to me and slam his staff on the ground showing me my report card. Here's the moment we've all been waiting for, he's gonna look at me straight in the eyes and say: 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!'

If I end up failing I want that to happen. At least I'll fail and end up laughing at how I was told I wasn't going to pass.

"Lu Chenguang?"

Senpai noticed me!

"H-here!" The professor eventually called out the higher grades, it's going to be so awkward if we end up doing work with all these people in different grades in one room.

I need to work hard! My parents are counting on me and Luhan...Well...I dunno but I'll mention him cause it seems like the nice thing to do! It was then that Professor Kyuhyun called out a name, I didn't expect.

“Wu Kris?”

Who Kris?

“Here.”

The boy next to me lifted up his hand tiredly and whoa. He is taaaaaaaall.

"Zhang Yixing.......Zhang Yixing?"

WHAT!

Pfft, no.

 No way.

Not the Yixing I know, right?

"Is Zhang Yixing here?"

I looked around the room just in case and saw a hand raise up and gazed at a boy who looked like he just woke up.

"....Here..."

Totally the Yixing I know, I know those dimples anywhere.

 

WHAT IS LAY DOING HERE!!??

ALSO, HE'S A SENIOR!?

He's my senior at this school and we share the same class! He works with me too! Do you guys know what this means!?

.....No?

It's fate.

We're meant to be! This must be fate's way of trying to get us to caboodle with each other! Join me, Lay, as we do what fate has wanted! Well....My version of fate anyway.

So.....Lay's in my class....Professor Hothyun and my classmate Zhang Good-Look-xing....

Yep.

It's official.

I'm failing.

Mom's gonna find a way to drag me back to China and Dad's gonna probably help mom while Luhan 'haha's in the background.

I don't know how much time has passed since I've been gushing over the fact that I have a hot professor and Dimples in this one room but when the scary looking boy next me nudged me I realized we had already started on the lesson.

"-text books around. There isn't enough at the moment, share with someone for now until I'm able to find the rest. Now then..We will discuss topics related to humans as well as other organisms that we encounter and those that we don't...." As Prof. Hothyun droned on about what exactly this class is about I turned to the scary boy next to me who looked like he'd rather eat his foot then be here right now.

"What?" I whispered while staring at him, a bit irked at the way he was looking at me. He held up a Biology text book and pointed his finger from me to him. Aaaah, he wants us to share. I nodded and looked at the topic we were discussing.

I tried to focus, I did! However, Lay is a few desks away and he seemed focus on the lesson. The lighting of the room was shining on his face and it just makes him seem like the guys in the anime.

Lay, you're so beautiful but can you stop for like forty minutes so I can please focus? I can't only focus on you.

……

Okay, I can.

I totally ca- OW!

Seriously, this guy next to me, what is it with him and nudging me!? When I actually turned around I kind of regret ever looking at Lay. This guy is oozing negativity here and he's looking at me like I'm the reason he can't smile. He then pointed (very frustratingly might I add) at a certain paragraph with an activity listed below it...

Group work....

I don't like group work.

Wait...

Don't tell me...

I have to work with this guy!?
 

'Read through this Module and answer all questions. Work with a partner.'

I'd rather clip my dad's toe-nails than work with this dude and by the looks of it he doesn't want to work with me either. We can do this the easy way, or the hard way, Buddy. I'm not going to lose everything after I came this far!

"It's a research project and it's due in three days." Professor Kyuhyun noted.

I heard Grumpy groan in displeasure beside me. He then proceeded to write something on a slip of paper and passed it to me. Oh, it was his e-mail along with a note telling me to research my part and he’ll do his.

What’s wrong with talking, bud?
 


When classes ended I tried waiting for Lay but never saw him and then I figured maybe he either had other classes to attend or he just left waaay earlier. So with great reluctance I went to work alone and guess who I find there before me?

Mhhm.

Zhang Good-look-xing.

I didn’t even greet the guy I practically pounced on him and fangirled. “We’re in the same class!”

He owlishly blinked back at me. “We are?”

“Yes!”

“..But I didn’t see you?” It sounded like a question coming from him in his confused state.

Oh, Lay. I hope you don’t see me because then how else would I blatantly stare at you whilst you are innocently unaware.

Lay and I were currently putting medicine away when I decided to tell him that we were in the same class.

 "That aside, how are you and Sehun getting along?" Lay asked.

I don't wanna talk about Sehun, I wanna talk about us.

Lay closed the medicine cabinet, finishing up as he leaned on the metal table to face me. He looks like a model right now. Photograph moments when I don't have my camera.

"We're.......the same as ever. I think." I replied while boredly gazing around the room and staring at a poster about a dog's body functions.

"Cheng-Cheng...."

"My relationship with Sehun is like the internet connection at that rundown internet cafe on the other side of town." I joked with him, but he didn’t laugh.

"So...what you're saying is...."

I sighed. "It's not strong...."

"Right...."


 

"Sehun, we need to do some serious bonding!"

That conversation with Lay sort of lead me to realize Sehun and I need some serious bonding time. I sat next to him while we were on break and he only sighed in defeat.

"Urg, no, please...I'm actually tired for once and I mean it this time."

"Sehun, please? Okay, so here's the thing. I'm gonna ask you questions from this site buzzkenya and you have to answer them! Okay, first one, if you were a waiter and a customer was being rude, would you spit in their food?"

"Probably, depending on the customer."

If Sehun ends up working at a diner I'm not eating there.

"How would you describe a perfect girlfriend?"

Ooooh, this one has me curious.

"A girl who's nothing like you."

Ouch.

What is this feeling in my chest?

I don't like it.

"Sehun I think you hurt my feelings....No, seriously. For real."

"What are you two doing?" Tao questioned as he sat down next to me, I'm now between Sehun and Tao.

"I'm trying to bond with Sehun by asking him questions. You want to join?" More is better right? Tao nodded and waited for me to ask the next question.

"If you had to be named after a city, state or country which would you want to be?"

"Paris."

.............

Both Sehun and I turned to look at Tao who stared back at us as if he didn't just say that. Sehun and I shared a look and I simply went to look for the next question to ask.

It carried on like this for quite some time until break was over and we had to actually get back to work and help the customers.


After work I immediately began working on the new assignment we were given in order to do my fair share.

I'm so tired, seriously. 

I don't want to fail.

Luhuan must have been out with his friends because it's too quiet. I took Luhan's laptop and started researching the Biology topic and taking down notes I thought was pretty important. I e-mailed Kris a test message to see whether or not it was his actual e-mail.

I sent him a message saying "Name's Chenguang btw busy with the research hope you are too! See you tomorrow!' but all I got back was a ' -_- '.  I felt like I could seriously picture this look on his face. Makes me wonder if he’s even doing anything.

Oh well, this research isn't gonna do itself.

Time passed and before I knew it I had fallen asleep.


 

 

"Chenguang..."

"uuunnnghhh....."

"Chenguang....."

"uuurghhhnbununu...."

Something's poking me and interrupting my slumber.

"OI! Seriously, get up! It's 6AM, the bus comes at 7!"

"I'M UP! I get it! Sheesh what's your- ow snap...My neck....And my back..." What? What happened last night? Why am I at the desk with Luhan's laptop and not in my comfy bed? When did this blanket get here? Who....What? What year are we in!?

"Chenguang, I spent like, three minutes trying to get you up. I'm not getting those minutes back so you better make up for it and get ready! NOW! Go wash your face you're sporting the QWERTY initials on your cheek." Luhan said as he left my room to get ready himself.

I looked at my surroundings and saw my research notes, I piled them up together so that I could give it to Kris later and I made sure to save the stuff on a USB just in case.. I hope he did his part of the work. Now that I think about it, Lay might be there too today! I now have something to look forward to in the morning! Right, Chenguang Fighting!

"LU CHENGUANG GET DONE ALREADY!"

"I KNOW! JEEZ! YOU'RE WORSE THEN MOM!"


 

"Right new kids, I hope you're working on the researching. It's a team work, you will be marked down if you don't work together."

Tell that to Krease here! He looks even more disgruntled than yesterday! Where's Lay? I'd rather sit next to Lay before this guy spreads his negativity.

"Alright desk mate, did you do your part cause you're seriously giving me the impression that I'm the one who does all the work while you sit there and play with your toes." I said while crossing my arms and looked over at my desk mate who only glared at me in return. What? Can't he speak? Did the cat obliterate his tongue and rip his throat out?

"If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all, desk mate. I did my part." He said as he showed me his research notes as well.

I have nothing.

I can't get him back.

"Uh...Right, well here's mine. What do we do now?" I asked while trying to avoid his stare.

"What do you suggest?"

"Um...Go over each other's notes and write up a report and we'll work on the final draft at home." It as a good suggestion. He nodded in agreement and began reading my notes as I read over his. Oh wow.....He really did his research. He highlighted the important facts and even wrote a summary of the entire research and the topic. I looked over at Kris in surprise only to find him reading my notes silently as well.

We are so going to ace this.

"Desk mate." He suddenly called me. It's my notes, isn't it? It's not as decently planned out as yours and you probably can't even make out my handwriting, I understand...

"Yes?"

"Why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?"

........

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

But...

If you must know.

It's to look at Lay secretly. Without his knowledge.

"Um....Cause I want to? Don't question me! I'm a nineteen year old girl who eats toast with a fork!" I hurriedly said and went back to doing my work.