Suspicion

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

Sehun couldn't concentrate on the movie at all. He kept glancing at Tao, who seemed just as restless as he was and Kyungsoo, who was profoundly calm, as always. As soon as he saw the latter getting up and heading towards the kitchen he followed him, hoping no one would notice. Thankfully, Chanyeol was astonished by the movie's explosions and he was nearly choking Baekhyun in his arms while Jongin looked like he was ready to fall asleep.

"I won't say anything", Kyungsoo said when Sehun closed the kitchen door behind him, as if he was expecting him.

"Well, I'd really appreciate that-", Sehun begun mumbling, wondering how the short boy with the bowl cut could make him this flustered.

"But, I have one condition". Kyungsoo's expression didn't change at all. "I want you to find out whether Jongin is cheating on me or not".

Sehun's jaw dropped and for a second he was sure the boy in front of him was trying to make some sort of joke. But Kyungsoo's blushing cheeks and pleading eyes made him realize he was serious. It was the first time he saw him looking so... desperate.

"Why would you think something like that? I mean, Jongin never shuts up about you, how cute you are and stuff... Are you having relationship problems?", Sehun finally asked, trying to fully comprehend the situation. Jongin, cheating on Kyungsoo? No matter how hard he tried, he simply couldn't see it happening.

"No, it's not like we're having any problems...", the other murmured. "It's just that, he's been so secretive lately and I can't understand why. He's usually so talkative and cheerful and I like that, even though sometimes I can't keep up with him, but now he's so quiet and distant. I feel like he's hiding something".

"Wait", Sehun waved at him to stop and shook his head as a sign of confusion. "You're assuming he's cheating just because you have a feeling?".

"Well, I had a feeling something weird was going on with you and Tao and I was right, wasn't I?", Kyungsoo chuckled, obviously proud of himself.

"How did you find out about that, anyway?".

"It wasn't too difficult. Me and Tao are in the same classroom, even though he doesn't remember me. But I don't blame him, I'm not a memorable person, especially if I don't want to be noticed.", Kyungsoo snorted, as if he had some sort of superpower. "Also, a few months ago there was another boy in our class named Kris. They didn't exactly hide their relationship so when Kris suddenly disappeared and Tao started throwing tantrums and skipping classes, I knew something big happened. When I saw the graffiti outside the principal's office, I simply connected the pieces. It was ridiculously easy, to be honest, I wonder how no one else figured it out".

Sehun stared at Kyungsoo, half astonished and half terrified by the boy's skills. Jongin could call him cute all he wanted but Sehun would never be able to see him this way. But there was still something missing.

"Tao told me you knew everything which means you knew about the night we broke into the school, right? How did you figure that out?". Sehun was starting to feel like he was in some sort of mystery film, with Kyungsoo being Sherlock Holmes and himself being the clueless Watson.

"Oh, I realized that today, when Tao introduced himself as your boyfriend. I knew that all that smashing couldn't be done by Tao alone, he had to have a partner and after seeing you together, it all made sense".

"Elementary, my dear Watson", Sehun mumbled and Kyungsoo giggled.

"So... Do we have a deal?"

Sehun stared at boy's extended hand, weighing his options. If he agreed, he'd have to follow his best friend around just because of a feeling that didn't make much sense to begin with. However, if he didn't agree, Kyungsoo would expose them and everyone would know he betrayed their trust by lying to them several times. These idiots were his only friends, he couldn't risk losing them over something like that.

"Deal", he said and firmly shook the boy's hand.

When they came out of the kitchen the movie had just ended and Chanyeol was fighting with Baekhyun over who was more badass and muscular while Jongin was softly snoring by the other side of the couch. Kyungsoo poked his boyfriend's cheek to wake him up and Jongin smiled as soon as he opened his eyes and saw the boy with the plum lips staring at him. Without wasting a second, he pulled him into a deep kiss and kept holding him in his arms even after their lips separated.

"How could he possibly believe that he is a cheater?", Sehun thought puzzled. Jongin was so sweet and affectionate around his boyfriend, Sehun couldn't understand why Kyungsoo would ever doubt him.

"Is everything okay?", Tao nervously asked when Sehun sat next to him and wrapped his arms around his slender body.

"Yeah", he whispered and buried his face in Tao's chest. "I took care of it".

Tao heaved a sigh of relief and ran his fingers through Sehun's hair. "You're sniffing me again", he said but this time, he didn't move away.

"I am a weird dude with sniffing es and trust me, you're so lucky to have me", Sehun replied and smiled when he heard his boyfriend's laughter. After a few moments of silence, Tao forced him to lift his head in order to softly press his lips against Sehun's, something that made him feel slightly guilty.

He wasn't going to tell him about the deal he made with Kyungsoo. He knew by now that keeping secrets never worked out the way he wanted but for some reason, Sehun didn't want to involve Tao in this. He just wanted to get it done as soon as possible and finally enjoy some peaceful time with his boyfriend. They had just gotten together but Sehun felt like the universe didn't want to let them have a normal relationship.

Normal? Sehun laughed at his own thoughts. There was nothing normal about them. But maybe he liked it better that way.

At that moment, his phone started ringing, forcing him to leave Tao's embrace.

"Sehun? Where are you? We are waiting at your apartment, come here immediately". Sehun froze as soon as he heard the strict voice on the other line. No, he thought, it can't be.

"Who is it?", Tao whispered, trying to read Sehun's dumbfounded expression.

Sehun hung up and stood still for a few seconds, unable to think clearly. When his phone started ringing again, as if it was a wake up call, he jumped out of the couch and looked at everyone's curious eyes.

"I'm sorry", he mumbled. "I have to go".

"Why?", Baekhyun whined, ready to force him to stay a bit longer. However, Sehun's reply made everyone remain quiet and no one tried to stop him when he closed the door behind him.

Tao looked at the others utterly confused.

"Did he just say that his parents are back?"