Second Chance

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

"Sehun, wake up". The small whisper made the boy cringe but it wasn't enough to make him open his eyes.

"Sehun, wake up!". This time, Jongin's kick did the trick.

"What is it? I thought we were skipping school today". Sehun was definitely not a morning person and he didn't really appreciate getting kicked first thing in the morning. However, once he glared at Jongin and noticed his troubled expression he understood that something serious had happened.

"Remember the talk we had about Tao and Kyungsoo last night?".

"Yes, what about it?".

"Well, maybe we shouldn't have skipped school today". And without saying another word, Jongin showed him his phone screen. The brightness made Sehun shut his eyes for a few seconds and when he opened them again he realized Jongin was showing him a text from Kyungsoo.

"What is this?", he asked, still dizzy from his sleep.

"Just open it".

Sehun obediently did as Jongin said and he found out that it wasn't a simple text, there was a photo attached to it as well. A photo of the principal's office. Tao's red graffiti was still there but someone had added a few words with blue paint right under it. Sehun's lips mouthed the sentence unconsciously.

"I'm back".

Jongin looked at his friend obviously worried. "What does that mean?".

Sehun read Kyungsoo's text, hoping it'd give him a clue but he was fairly disappointed.

I don't have Sehun's number so please, show this to him. He'll understand. I love you.

Understand what? The short boy definitely overestimated him. "Just because your intuition is good doesn't mean that the rest of us can follow", he mumbled frustrated and angry, wishing that Kyungsoo wasn't so hard to get.

"We should go", Jongin said and stood up looking determined. "I'll call Kyungsoo and ask him to wait for us in front of the gate.

Sehun didn't reply; he merely nodded feeling grateful towards his friend for not asking too many questions.

As the two boys were walking down the street Sehun was nervously checking his phone, just in case Tao sent him a text. He had his number so why didn't he try to contact him? Why did he have to learn about this through Kyungsoo? Now he was sure about it, his boyfriend was definitely hiding something and it had to do with the text he got last night.

Something inside him wanted him to run. For some reason, he had this feeling that they had to hurry, they had to go to school as soon as possible and he knew it didn't make any sense but that urgent feeling wouldn't let him relax. He felt bad for making fun of Kyungsoo the other night because if the boy was sharing the same feeling he did, he could finally understand his reaction.

When they reached the school gates and saw Kyungsoo standing in front them, Sehun felt a little bit better. Who would have thought that one day, the short, awkward boy would be able to make him feel this kind of relief?

Jongin, completely disregarding the situation, greeted his boyfriend with a peck on the lips, probably in an effort to ease his suspicions. But Sehun didn't care about their relationship problems anymore.

"Kyungsoo, what does that mean?", he asked without wasting a second and pointed at Jongin's phone.

The boy widened his eyes surprised. "What, you didn't understand? Man, you're denser than I thought".

"Yes, yes, I'm an idiot". Sehun was getting impatient; the last thing he wanted was Kyungsoo making fun of him. "Now tell me what's going on".

Kyungsoo glanced at his boyfriend who was silently standing next to him. Thankfully, Jongin got the message and left, wondering where Baekhyun and Chanyeol could be and how he should confront them. He hated being the mediator between them and Sehun but it was something he had gotten used to by now.

"Try to think", Kyungsoo whispered at the tall boy, "Who could it be? Who could have written that, who could have sent Tao a message that said "I'll get you back, no matter what?". For 's sake, Sehun, it's not that hard".

Sehun shook his head confused. That was the text? Why would Tao hide it from him? It was probably some sort of prank anyway-...

And then the answer dawned on him. There was only person who could have done all those things, one person who had met with his boyfriend and stated that he clearly wanted to be with him. Tao said he turned him down but he never mentioned that person's reaction. He must have known that it wasn't as passive as Sehun initially thought.

"Tao, you ing idiot", he mumbled and grabbed Kyungsoo's hand. "Where is he? I need to talk to him". He was ready to drag the boy inside the school but Kyungsoo stopped him.

"I don't think that's a good idea".

"What-...? Why?". Sehun couldn't understand the boy at all.

"This is something Tao has to decide for himself. You shouldn't interfere". Kyungsoo spoke calmly as if his words made sense, something that made Sehun even more upset.

"Are you serious? I'm his boyfriend, of course I have a say in this!", he shouted, feeling his fingertips trembling. "If you didn't want me to interfere then why did you send me that message?"

Kyungsoo stared at him coldly, like he always did and pulled his hand, escaping Sehun's grip. "Because you're his boyfriend I thought you deserved to know at least this much. But you don't deserve to-.."

"Oh, excuse me! Who are you trying to fool, pretending to be Mr.Moral all of a sudden? You asked me to follow your boyfriend around because of your own, unjustified reasons, how dare you tell me what I can and cannot do?! You're so full of , aren't you?". Sehun snapped. He didn't intend to hurt the boy's feelings and he didn't really mean what he said. However, at his present state he couldn't possibly own up to his mistake and wipe away Kyungsoo's tears.

"Yes", the small boy admitted while looking at the ground. "I am a horrible boyfriend. But that doesn't mean you should follow my lead. Unless you want to ruin your relationship, which is fine by me. Go ahead, do whatever you want".

Sehun didn't know how to reply to that. Eventually the guilt overwhelmed him and he patted Kyungsoo's shoulder in an effort to console him.

"No, you're right. I'm sorry, I overreacted. And just so you know, Jongin isn't cheating. I don't know why he's acting the way he is but I'm sure he'd never do anything to hurt you. He told me himself last night, he loves you. Just-...", Sehun took a deep breath, "Just try to trust him a bit more, okay?".

Kyungsoo avoided his gaze and wiped his tears while nodding. Just then Sehun started to wonder for how long did Kyungsoo have to put up with his suspicions and how difficult it must have been for him. For a moment, he forgot all about Tao and focused on the boy in front him who was trying as hard as he could to stop his tears, feeling bad that he never showed any interest in him before, that he started to notice him only when he needed something from him. That kind of behavior reminded him an awful lot of his parents.

And he didn't want to act like his parents anymore. With that thought he pulled Kyungsoo into a tight hug that made both of them a bit uncomfortable, yet happy.

When Kyungsoo softly pushed him away, he was smiling. "What will you do?"

Sehun heaved a sigh and smiled back. "Tao may be an idiot but you're right; it's best to let him solve this on his own".

"What will you do if doesn't choose you?". Sehun noticed that Kyungsoo wasn't looking at him anymore; his eyes were fixated on something behind him.

He turned around to see Tao arguing with a tall man with blonde hair and sunglasses. They were yelling something that Sehun couldn't understand when the taller one grabbed Tao's hand and started running. They ran right past the dumbfounded Sehun and for a second Tao glanced at him apologetically, looking like there was something he wanted to say. But he couldn't escape the other's grip so without saying a word, they vanished together, making Sehun feel like someone had pierced his heart with a sword.

"Is that-...?", he managed to mumble after a few moments of silence.

"Yes", Kyungsoo nodded. "That's Kris. So, what would you do if he picked Kris over you?". Kyungsoo repeated his question and Sehun started feeling the universe was spinning faster and faster, making it impossible for him to stand still and think clearly.

He unconsciously touched the tear that was rolling down his cheek and turned to Kyungsoo.

"I don't know".