Tears

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

When Sehun opened his eyes it was already morning. He looked around, still dizzy and then he remembered everything that happened. His parents arriving unannounced. Tao running away with Kris. It was all too much and that's why Sehun had decided to head back to his apartment and sleep through the day but he must have been more tired than he initially thought since he had slept through the night as well.

His apartment was, of course, empty. His parents had left without even leaving a note but Sehun didn't expect anything more than that. He wasn't useful to them anymore; his parents wouldn't bother him again. He checked his phone, with a last bit of hope but he faced disappointment once again. No texts, no missed calls.

So, no one was looking for him. That meant he could just stay in bed and sleep through another day and then another and maybe, he'd never have to wake up ever again. Sehun dropped his head back on his pillow and heaved a sigh. He shouldn't have those kind of thoughts. Getting depressed, what good would that do?

Then again, what were his options? He couldn't contact Tao because he wasn't supposed to meddle with whatever his situation with Kris was. He vaguely remembered his promise to go on a date this weekend and smiled. "You idiot", he murmured and felt the tears coming back, "It's already Friday. Are you going to ditch me?".

"He introduced himself as your boyfriend, right? Why would he do that if he wasn't serious about it?", Kyungsoo's words came to Sehun's mind. The boy had tried to console him yesterday before sending him home but he wasn't very good at it. "Have some faith in him", he had said and Sehun wanted to pinpoint that he wasn't exactly the right person to talk about trust but he realized that provoking the only person who was supporting him would be a bad idea, to say the least.

Besides, what should he have faith in? They've only been dating for two and a half days while Tao and Kris had a history that went way back. "It's really obvious", Sehun mumbled and covered his teary eyes with the back of his hand, "who he's going to choose. It's really ing obvious".

He finally gave in to the tears, not because he felt it was unfair, not because he couldn't do anything to change things but because he felt alone, left behind by everyone. It was something he had kept hidden for a long time, a fear of his he never expressed, that started growing incredibly fast over the past few weeks. And as he cried more and more it dawned on him that this feeling had became worse probably when Chanyeol and Baekhyun started dating.

Or maybe when Jongin told everyone he was in love with a short boy from the class next door named Kyungsoo.

His friends, the only real family he had were moving on.

Maybe his feelings for Tao weren't even that strong, maybe he just wanted someone to lean on, someone who wouldn't leave and the tall boy with the dark circle was exactly what he was looking for. Why was he so hurt anyway? He only knew him for about a week.

And while Sehun was trying to fool himself with these thoughts in order to seize his tears, his phone buzzed.

Jongin gave me your number. Are you okay? You skipped school again, I hope you're not crying in your bed or something. -Kyungsoo

Sehun ruffled his hair and smiled. That boy had indeed, one hell of an intuition. He typed the first thing that came to his mind and pressed 'send'.

Why is everyone leaving me?

A few seconds later, a reply had arrived.

No one's leaving you. You walk away, scared that they will, so that you won't get hurt. You're the one doing the leaving, at least from what I've seen.

The boy read the text over and over again trying to imprint every word in his brain but he still couldn't fully comprehend it.

What should I do then?

This time, the reply took a bit longer to arrive and it had a photo attached of Kyungsoo and Jongin eating ice cream at their favorite coffee shop.

Get out of bed and join us! P.S. Pick a present for me on your way here, it's my birthday.

Sehun finally laughed and got up. What kind of person demands a present for their own birthday? Kyungsoo was definitely a confusing person but for some reason, he could kind of understand why Jongin found him cute.

He threw on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt that complimented his abs and before leaving the apartment he took one final look at his reflection.

" them!", he suddenly shouted at himself. " relationships and parents, everything! I don't need them!". And with that final shout, he shut the door behind him as hard as he could.

"You look horrible", was the first thing that Jongin said to Sehun when he saw him approaching their table. "Did you even wash your face? You're the son of two celebrities and yet you walk around like this? Shame on you".

"Oh, shut up, even with greasy hair and dirty face I still look better than you", Sehun replied and after dragging a chair he collapsed next to Kyungsoo. "Here's your present", he mumbled and held out a small package. "Happy birthday".

"Wow, you actually got me something, thanks". Kyungsoo looked like he wanted to open the package but his pride was forcing him to contain his excitement, something that made Sehun snort. At his present state, pride and manners were the last thing he gave a damn about.

"Just open it already", he said and forced the package on Kyungsoo's hands, that didn't need anything else to tear it open. The boy with the round eyes lifted his gift and stared at it confused.

"A DVD...? Is it a movie or something?"

"Something like that", Sehun giggled. "Did you know that Jongin attended ballet lessons for several years before entering high school?"

"Yeah, but-..."

"Well, with this DVD you can enjoy all of his performances. Thank me only after you've watched it".

Sehun barely managed to dodge Jongin's kick. "You little prick!", Jongin shouted and his dark skinned cheeks were now vibrantly pink. "I thought you said you lost that!"

"How could I ever lose something so important?", Sehun replied but this time, he wasn't fast enough and the pain he felt on his knee made him tear up but it wasn't enough to stop his laughter. In the meantime, Kyungsoo had safely put the DVD back in its case where it couldn't be broken.

"You're not gonna watch that, right? Promise me that you won't", Jongin nervously pleaded but his efforts were useless.

"Are you crazy? This is the best gift ever!", Kyungsoo laughed and kissed his boyfriend's cheek.

"When did my childhood friend pair up with my boyfriend in order to destroy me?", Jongin dramatically sighed and rested his head on Kyungsoo's shoulder to emphasize how truly devastated he was.

Sehun was about to continue the torture by reminding Jongin he also had photos from that era when his phone rang and Tao's number flashed on its screen. The laughter stopped and after looking at the other two nervously, Sehun picked up with trembling fingertips.

"Hello?"

Tao's voice wasn't excited and high pitched as usual but it had a weird, calming vibe.

"Sehun, can we meet? We need to talk".