♂ Act I ✍ Chapter 1

Inkblots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was almost ten years ago we met. You were shopping with someone, I accidentally bumped into you with my cart. You, on the phone, didn't make a big deal, I apologized and we went on. 

It was at the cash register that I heard the announcement that someone had lost their wallet. As I placed my last item onto the belt, something in my cart caught my eye. It was beige and blue, an odd combination. It looked like a small makeup bag. I opened it, it held some money, a credit card, two gift cards and a couple of business cards. This must be the wallet they're looking for, I thought. 

So I asked around for the girl who'd lost her wallet. I was told I could find her in a small office past the checkouts. I knocked on the door three times and a man opened it. I handed him the wallet which he then handed to the girl. That girl was you. 

You said thank you, thank you so much. I understood by the tears streaming down your face that you meant it. I told you it was no big deal and that I was simply doing my job as a human. You were confused. How could someone be as selfless as I? I answered that I wasn't selfless, I was only able to tell right from wrong. Right as I was leaving, you called out for me to wait. You asked me for my name. 

"My name?" I hesitated, unsure whether or not I should tell you. "Park Chanyeol." I decided there was no harm in it. I didn't expect to ever see you again. 

Thank you for calling me the next week to ask about getting some coffee together. I had a place in mind, but no one to take with me. 

You said it looked so cozy. We sat down at a small round table. We learned a lot about each other. I learned that you were a university student. Having left your hometown to study, you were broke, worked two jobs to pay school fees and keep food on the table and pay your share of the rent of the small apartment you shared with your two roommates. I felt pity for you and guilt at my own lifestyle. It was far from lavish, but I was sure I was a heavier spender than you. 

You learned that I was the only son of a couple of restaurant owners. When my father abandoned his wife, seven-year-old daughter, six-year-old son, and work, my mother took over. At first, my mother had sold the restaurant in hopes that when times got better she would buy it again. As she predicted, times did get better and she got her business back. I went to university too, majoring in photography. You asked me which one, and we found out we went to the same school. The look on your face, I still remember it. You asked why you'd never seen me before. I replied that it was probably because we had different majors. You with your engineering, you were always the more high strung of the two of us. 

When I dropped you off back home, I saw the girl watching you from the window with an excited gaze. Your roommate, Hyemi, was it not? How anxious she was to hear all about your little "date". But your laugh, your smile, your twinkling eyes. They kept me up all night, and when I finally did fall asleep, they're all I dreamed about. Later on in the future, you would ask me when I fell in love with you. I would tell you the first I laid eyes on you, but in truth it was that day, when you graced me with your beautiful laughter and deepest of your heart.

A couple of weeks later, I received another phone call. It was you again. I was happy because I had realized I forgot to ask for your phone number the last time, and now I would get a chance to. You asked me to accompany you while you went shopping. Do you remember that, Seulyoung? That day when, instead of going to purchase actual things, you taught me the wonders of window shopping. To please the eye and the wallet, you would say. The trick was to stay away from things you might convince yourself of needing, like ridiculously expensive clothes or bags. As our last stop of the day you introduced me to a thrift store, where you could buy things you need at the price the items were worth. You revealed that your room was filled with knickknacks you would treat yourself once in a while to. You asked me to choose something for you this time. 

Looking around, I saw a small figurine, a mini-statue. It was a Cupid, his bow and arrow ready to strike. I showed it to you. You said you loved it, and I felt warm on the inside. Just thinking about that feeling, I get it now. It starts in the toes and touches every nerve in the body until the tips of the hair, setting it all ablaze. 

I insisted on paying for the doll, the Cupid. After all, I'd chosen it. And later, you asked me if I would like to come choose a place for it in your room. Jokingly, I asked if it would be proper, for a man like me to be in the room of a girl like you? Blushing, you tried to take it back. I laughed at your red face, and got out of the car. Running to the other side, I opened your door and held out my hand to help you up. I saw your hesitation as you placed—more like hovered—your hand on mine. 

I followed you upstairs, and you led me to your room. Your roommates seemed surprised to see me, only the second time and already I'd infiltrated your living space. They retreated to their own rooms and you to yours. Before I could step in, you stopped me and shut the door. At first I was confused, but you explained to me later that you hadn't wanted me to se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter