You Come Before Myself

Falling In Love With Your Twin

Kyungsoo POV: 

"DON'T TAKE HIM FROM ME!" I screamed as loud as I could at the emergency workers who were taking Kai into a different ambulance than I. 
"Sir calm down."
"DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! HYUNG!" They had him on a gurney, wheeling him into the metal vehicle. This was the part in movies where my character is left alone and the other one can't be saved. I was terrified.  
I saw how much blood was on the ground from Kai, soaking the dirty snow on the street. Everything seemed to slow down, everytime I moved, it was in slow motion. I saw how many people were watching us but all I could think about was Kai. 
I had to get to him. I struggled as hard as my body would allow me to, 
"Sir! You're injured, please settle down!" 
"NO!" I felt a prick in my neck and soon I lost control of my body and slipped away. 
 
"Mmmm.." I groaned as my senses came back to me. 
"Kyungsoo? Are you awake?" That voice..
"Sehun.." 
"I'm here." I felt his cold hand take mine, and I opened my eyes, not afraid of what I would see, but of what I wouldn't see. 
"Where is Kai?" 
"He's right there.." Still laying down, I looked to my right and saw Kai with a breathing mask and an IV hooked up to him. 
"What's wrong with him?!"
"Kyungsoo you need to stay calm or I'll have to sedate you again. You crashed around 10:30-11:00PM and it is 1:00 PM now, the next day. You're at Seoul hospital." When I looked back at Sehun, he was in his Dr. coat with a name badge. 
"Oh.. Dr. Oh."
"Stop that. Kai went into surgery for a fractured ankle. He also dislocated his shoulder and had a bad scrape down his chest, damaging his ribs, luckily he kept just enough blood for us to do surgery." 
"Surgery?" I looked past Sehun to see light under the grey curtains. It was day time.
"Yes. You also had some but not to the extent of Kai's. You had a fractured wrist, and you bruised your legs pretty bad. Now you have a concussion which is why you must stay calm."
"Sehun.. I'm so scared for Kai.. Why isn't he awake yet?" 
"Kyungsoo you have to promise me you'll stay calm, otherwise something could rupture and internal bleeding could occur. I already bandaged you up once, don't make me do it again." Sehun was really intimidating for some reason.. 
"Okay."
"Kyungsoo, he is not dead. Kai is in a coma." 
"A coma?"
"It's strange. You were both under the same impact, yet he had injuries at a much more severe level than you did.."
"He pushed me." My body went cold.
"Hmm?"
"He pushed me off the bike, he saved me, Sehun.. This is all my fault.."
"Hey, don't say that.. That's not true."
"It's true!" I tried to stay calm as Sehun squeezed my hand the slightest bit, 
"I-I stood up on the back of the motor bike..." Reaching back into my mind, I tried to pull out the accident. 
"..and then he told me to sit down, but I didn't." It hurt my head to think so much, and it hurt my heart to know I did this, 
"So..." I started to choke up when the memories finally rushed back to my mind. 
"So when we hit the semi.. He shoved me off the back of the bike, and he was trapped.. That's why I was so far from him." 
"It's still not your fault."
"Don't lie to me!" I pulled Sehun closer to me, feeling the need to touch somebody and have them hold me. 
All I wanted was my brother holding me.. But how selfish am I? I caused his coma. 
I caused this. 
I almost killed my brother.  
"I almost killed my brother.. So don't you dare lie to me!" My eyes filled with hot, salty tears and started rolling down my cheeks one by one. 
I didn't care if he sedated me again, I needed to cry and let out the pain I felt in my heart. 
"I won't lie to you, it isn't your fault. His state isn't fatal.. But we don't know when he'll wake up. A few days or a week, it's hard to say.." Sehun looked at me with sad eyes and a fallen face, 
"I won't let him die. Once you recover a little, you can get up and talk to him. I believe patients can still hear when they're in a coma and maybe it'll give him the strength to open his eyes." I nodded, feeling a little excited to see him open his eyes. 
Yet a choking feeling in my throat and a certain pressure on my chest made me stop myself. 
No matter what, I still almost killed my brother. 
"I'll be with some other patients Kyungsoo.. Hit that button for a nurse if you need anything and click this to page me." 
"Okay.." I watched as Sehun walked away. 
Maybe he is better off without me.
Maybe everyone is better off without me. 
 
I couldn't sleep. No matter what I did, I couldn't sleep. I laid with my eyes open, looking between the wall that was actually a while glass window with street lights outside and staring at Kai on his bed. I watched as his chest rose and then fell, then trailed my eyes up a tube that ran into his nose, giving him oxygen to live. 
"I'm so sorry Hyung.." I whispered, wanting to reach out and hold his warm hand. I wondered if they were still warm with life or if they'd gone cold from the accident. 
I did this for a few more days, 4 days actually. I stared at Kai, thinking and occasionally crying quietly. I wished I was the one in the coma and he was the one awake. I wished I had gotten the brute of the blow and not the one I want and need.. Not the one I love. My brain was fried. I hadn't slept well in 3 and a half weeks prior to the accident, and have barely had any sleep at all lately. I'd just lay awake, wishing he'd wake up. 
"Hey Kyungsoo.. Im just checking to see how you're doing."
"Sehun. Hi.."
"You don't look so good.."
"I don't feel so good either." It was probably 11:00 PM. I had no more IV's or bandages, just a few aches.. The only thing keeping me here was my concussion- and Kai.
"Have you been sleeping?"
Honestly? 
"No." Sehun sighed and walked closer,
"I'm not working again until 8:00 AM, I'll climb in." 
"But... If someone see you.."
"Don't worry about it." I had let Sehun believe he could help me sleep..and for the most part, I could. I could rest around 2 hours on and off with him. Still not enough, but it was better than anyone else I had tried. I watched as Sehun took his lab coat off and then his sweater and pants. With his shoes removed, he climbed into bed with me. It was a small bed, big enough for one and a half Kyungsoo's and only one Sehun. But we kept our bodies so close to each other, we had no problem sharing the tiny bed. 
I wished it was Kai. 
"Goodnight Kyungsoo.. Wake me if-"
"I won't wake you. Goodnight." I laid awake for hours, staring at Kai from my position in Sehun's arms, but I soon closed my eyes and dozed off. 
 
When I woke up, I was alone. It was only 4:00 AM, and I fell asleep around 3. I rolled on my side after I had changed positions to my back, and stared at Kai- 
Where's Kai. 
Buzz! 
I pushed the button for the nurse, but no one came. 
Buzz! 
Where are you?! 
I paged Sehun, but he didn't come. I was scared my hands began to sweat. I had to find my brother, so as painful as it was, I got out of bed. When my feet hit the cold floor, my body shivered. Ahh... I held my head.. The room felt like it was spinning and all I could do was hold on for dear life. I can't do this, my head..
But Kai. 
I took a deep breath.  
Screw my concision. 
I carefully opened the door and started walking down the hall. It was lit by bright lights but it was empty at this time. 
I held on to the side railing and went towards some chatter coming from a room ahead. I stopped by the cool door and listened. 
"Yeah I heard Dr. Oh was in the room when he woke up." 
"Really? But why? It was around 3:50 in the morning.." Did I just miss him?
"I don't know, it's weird but let's be thankful he was there."
"You're right.. Oh his poor brother though, never got to see his brother wake up." 
"I know.. Breaks my h-"
"Where is my brother?!" Without thinking, I pushed the door open to two nurses sitting together. Their faces were stunned, and they froze in their seats. 
"Where is he?!" 
"You're not supposed to be out of bed." 
"Tell me where he is, now." The nurses looked fearful, and I didn't blame them. Here I was in my hospital down, holding on to everything to keep me stable, but speaking like a maniac. They quickly told me he was in the emergency room so I then began to hurry there.  My head was pounding from not only the concision but also the lack of sleep, and tears of sweat fell from my forehead. I could feel my back getting wet since I was over exhorting myself too quickly. 
 
"Oh his poor brother though, never got to see his brother wake up"
 
He can't be dead, Sehun said he'd wake up. He isn't gone, not my brother.
 
"We have to hurry come on!" Two nurses ran past me in panic, going the same direction I was, so I followed as fast as I could. Were they going to my brother? I watched them slip through doors into a set of rooms I know I shouldn't enter, but I did. 
"Sir you cannot be in here."
"Leave me alone!" I spun in circles looking for my brother. There were multiple rooms, maybe four or five, with surgeries going on. I knew because there was a big glass window, like the ones someone looks through when their baby is born. Finally, I spotted a tall doctor, hair inside a net, masked and gloved. But I knew it was Sehun because I knew his body. And I knew he was would be with Kai because he would never let him die. I ran up to the window and peered in. All of the nurses looked at me, but ignored me because they were busy, all except one. Sehun and I made eye contact. I knew he couldn't take his mask off to say anything, but the look of concern I gave him made him continue to work. I knew he wanted to help Kai as much as I wanted him alive. Then I saw Kai laying with his eyes open, blinking, looking into mine. 
"Hyung!" He was awake. I put my hands on the glass, my breath creating steam on the surface. 
"Sir you have to leave." A security guard started pulling me away. 
"Hyung!" I yelled again, catching a glimpse of Kai as he tried to sit up. 
"No! Let me go! I have to tell him something!" 
"Please sir! You're a patient here and not well!" 
"No!" I tried to struggle from the guard,
"No one is allowed back here!" 
"He's my twin brother!" I managed to escape for a moment and placed my hands back on the glass. Kai was being pushed down on the bed as I called for him and began to cry in fear. 
"Hyung!"
 
Kai POV: 
"Hyung!" I could hear the muted voice of Kyungsoo calling me through the glass window. The pain and anguish on his face was almost too much for me to bear. 
"Hyung!" He called again to me. I wanted to get up, but my body wouldn't let me and neither would the nurses. I watched as the guard tried to take him again, but the amount of struggle he put up, the gaurd stopped and yelled at him that he'd use force. I had to make him leave before his health plunged to the ground.
"No! I won't go!" He screamed at everyone outside the room. At the last moment, his last struggle, he let out a blood curtailing scream. Almost as if someone was digging a knife into his back and he was yelling for help. It was terrifying. 
"HYUNG!" 
"Kyungsoo!" My voice sounded very scratchy and dry. It hurt to even speak, but to scream? It felt like fire. 
I was using all the strength that I had left in me, all the air my lungs would allow me to take in. I looked at Kyungsoo and yelled,
"Go back!" I wanted to say more, I wanted to say 'go back to the room, I'll be there', but I physically couldn't. 
"Hyung!" The way his face lit up at my voice sank my heart, don't be happy to see the one that almost ended your life Kyung. I sat up despite the pain and tried once more to make him leave. 
"I'll be okay!" I screamed. My lungs burned and my head rushed with blood. I soon felt my body lose its strength and I slammed back on the operating table, my muscles unable to hold me up any longer. 
"HYUNG!" I heard him hitting the window frantically and screaming over and over again, 'Hyung!' 
I couldn't sit up any longer or yell out. But I could muster up a raspy whisper and a ferocity in my eyes that I used to flare at Sehun. 
"Dr. Oh, p-please.. calm him down."
"Kai we have to operate now, If you want to live-"
"I'm strong. My lungs can manage five seconds more." Sehun grunted and told his assistant to let Kyungsoo know I was okay. 
I wasn't okay.
My lungs were filling with fluid and I couldn't breathe, but I was more concerned for my brother than myself. 
He has a future. 
 
Kyungsoo POV: 
I laid in bed for hours, staring at the wall, out the window then at the spot where Kai should be, then at the door. I kept imagining kai being wheeled through it, smiling and living. But it was all just in my head, he didn't return. I was forbidden to move much since I had overdone myself, running down the hall and yelling. 
He said it'll be okay, so it would be. 
I had to believe in him.  
 
Author's note:
Hey guys! Sorry I had hand surgery on my hand so it takes me a lot longer. Part two of this chapter will be up soon!  Subscribe and please comment!! Thanks~