A Brother's Quarrel

Falling In Love With Your Twin

Kai POV: 

"Kai! Wake up!" I jolted at the sound of my name. 
"Huh?"
"What is the answer to this equation?" I looked at the board that had a long equation written in white chalk. 
"When am I ever going to use this in my life? Graphing stuff isn't going to get me a job."
"You're never going to get into college with that attitude anyhow, I know you know the answer so just come answer it." I scoffed and crossed my arms, 
"No I don't have to." Kai stop being a brat...
"Hyung.." Kyungsoo whispered at me and kicked my heels from behind me.  
Kyungsoo, my twin brother. 
The teacher looked irritated and she spoke harshly,
"Please go to th-"
"Yeah I know, I'm going." I got up in a huff and packed up my stuff. I turned back to glance at Kyungsoo. A look of disappointment covered his face. This always happens..I disrupt class and am asked to leave. 
As I walked past the teacher, I heard her mumbling,
"Why aren't you more like Kyungsoo?" I'm so sick of this! Everyone in school asks how we are brothers, they question it. If I brought my damn birth certificate in, they'd still question it. And then I'd be compared to him even more. Everyone compares us- relatives, my parents, teachers, classmates, it's endless. I usually just let it go, plug in and blast some music or go for a run and sweat it out, but I'm not letting it slide this time. Enough is enough. 
I clenched my jaw while whipping around and slamming my hands on her desk. The teacher jumped and opened her eyes wide. I raised my voice, 
"Because I'm NOT my brother, that's why I'm not more like him. Aren't I like him enough?! We have the same last name, the same birthday, the same eyes, even the same bedroom! I'm like him in more ways than just academic crap! We're twins but I'm still my own damn person!" The teacher had a horrified look on her face that mirrored everyone else's. Soon the class started whispering to each other, 
'What's wrong with him?'
'He's crazy!' 
When I looked at Kyungsoo, he was sitting on the edge of his seat, his jaw was clenched and his hands balled into tight fists. Yeah that's right.
Just sit there. 
"Go to the office right now!" 
"Gladly." I saluted the teacher and turned to the door. 
"Oh, and by the way. You can't answer that equation, you can't find Y if X is negative." 
"...h-Hyung!" I rolled my eyes and then continued to walk, 
"Wait Hyung!" I heard Kyungsoo running after me down the hall. 
A plus, perfect mannered twin brother.
"Hyung!" Kyungsoo grabbed my wrist, so I jerked my arm away from him, whirling around and glaring at him. Kyungsoo made quick glances from the floor to my eyes and back to the floor, then back to my eyes- he seemed nervous whenever he was around me. Probably because I'm intimidating. 
"Go back to class." I started to turn around again, but he pulled on my jacket,
"Seriously off." It's for your on own good.. I'm not helping you.. I could feel the anger building inside of me, and I didn't want to let it out on my brother- no matter how pissed he makes me.. He's still my brother and it isn't his fault he's perfect- he just is. 
I'm just not. 
"But Hyung-" 
"Shouldn't you be getting back to class?" I had my back turned to him now, 
"I-"
"You need to maintain your grades.." I paused for a moment, then opened my mouth again, 
"You're the perfect one after all." I walked off, leaving Kyungsoo. He may have stood there, he may have left. I didn't turn around so I wouldn't know. He is perfect.. It's like I was born into the wrong family. I should be with some crazy drunks- because I'm not perfect like Kyungsoo. I'm flawed and full of anger for no reason.  I could search my whole life and still not find any flaw in him.. There is just nothing bad about him. 
I can't say he's stupid- he's not. 
I can't say he's rude- he's not. 
I can't say he's ugly even- he's not... I guess. 
At least I'm older by a few minutes..
"Hah what a joke..." I laughed to myself. We still share a room, share meals, share clothes.. 
We share our birthday- obviously. We share our mom and relatives.. Our dad left us so I suppose that's a flaw. And I guess we don't share friends- I only have one good one, Baekhyun. But I suppose he's an acquaintance of Kyungsoo since Baekhyun is dating Chanyeol: Kyungsoo's best friend. 
Well at least I have Maru- my little black kitten. 
That's one thing I have of my own.. 
 
Of course I got my ear drums pounded by the school councilors. Yet I still had no suspension.. Not even a detention. Instead, I got the honor of putting all of the principles paper files in alphabetical order. 
"So many damn papers..."
"You get used to it." The principle was an old man, he's been the principle for at least 30 years. His hair was white, well what he had left, and his skin was old and wrinkled. But he was a kind person and I honestly didn't mind being around him. Ever since I was in elementary school I'd be sent to the office, so one could say the principle and I are on friendly terms and he slightly gets me. 
"Tell me something Kai,"
"What is it?" 
"I've seen your grades, your tests and your exams for colleges.. I know you're not a cheater, so how do you get those grades?" 
"Maybe you saw my brothers resume, I dunno." I know I'm smart.. I'm naturally smart. Kyungsoo is too, but he's the perfect one, people can't know I'm smart too or else his reputation of being the 'smart twin' will be diminished. 
"Kai I know you're a smart young man.. There is so much you could do with your life then sitting here, chatting with me every week or so." We continued to sort papers, shuffling and stacking them here and there. 
"You're still the principle, not my father.." 
"That is true- I'm a bid aged to be the father of a senior in high school, but I am a principle. My job is not to just discipline teachers and students, buts it's to allow them to learn. Kai, you could go to any college if you just put your mind to it."
"Yeah whatever.." I knew he was right. 
"Say what is your dream college?"
"Huh?"
"You've gotta have a dream college, What is it?" If you could talk about school with Principle Lee all day- you would. 
"I dunno.. I like Seoul University."
"Aha! See! Your testing is more than enough to get in."  
"I know, but I'm not going." His face fell, 
"Why not? It's a great chance!" 
"I just can't."
"If it's money you can get many scholar-"
"It's not the money."
"Why can't you go there? Give me one perfect reason why you can't."
"Perfect?"
"Sure, a perfect reason."
"My brother." 
"Your brother?"
"He's going there... Perfect enough?" He sighed and shook his head. 
"Oh geez!" I sprang up and cupped my nose- which had decided to gush blood out of nowhere. 
"Go." The principle shooed me out as I made my way to the nurse. Once I got there, I leaned over the sink right away and let my nose drip, breathing from my mouth, it was routine. 
"Another bloody nose?" 
"Yeah.."  I slowly washed my hands while staying bent over, then cupped water to my face to wash off the blood. I grabbed paper towels and dried myself off, holding a tissue to my nose to catch the blood. 
"That's the third one this week." 
"Hah yeah no ." The school nurse, which was a man- got up and walked towards me. His name was Dr. Oh, Sehun Oh. He was in his long white coat with a sweater and dress pants on. He was maybe in his early 20s, maybe 25, but nothing more than that. He seemed to be fresh out of college. Dr. Oh had medium length hair that was a light brown color. He had a really light complexion but very dark eyebrows and eyes with thick lashes. I suppose we were on good terms as well since I constantly got bloody noses. I guess that's something my brother and I have in common that we weren't born with. We both bruise and bleed easily. Except Kyungsoo is extremely clumsy which makes it look like I hit him. So I suppose he has a flaw, at least one. 
"Heard you were sent to the office again." Dr. Oh leaned against the wall and crossed his arms while I sat on the bed. 
"Yeah." 
"I see.. Say Kai, if there's anything you-" 
"Hyung!" We both turned our heads to see Kyungsoo in the doorway. 
"What are you doing here?" I didn't mean for it to come out so harshly, but it did. 
"I-it's lunch time so-"
"Then go eat lunch. Can't you see I'm busy?" I saw Kyungsoo's face fall a little. 
"Well.. I thought we could eat together.." 
"We eat together at home. I'll see you then, okay?" 
"I just wanted to talk to you.." 
"At home, Kay?"
"...Kay.." Kyungsoo swallowed as his big brown eyes fell to the floor. Before he left he said one more thing with his face turned away from me,
"I know you don't like me.. But," then he turned his face towards me,
"Can you at least not hate me?" Kyungsoo walked off, leaving me with Dr. Oh again. The atmosphere was thick and I guess I did feel bad. I never said I didn't like my brother- I'm just not good enough for him. We're so different, he doesn't understand that I'm naturally rough and I can't cope with his sensitive emotions.  
"You know, you could be a little nicer to him." I shifted my eyes from the doctor to the window. Rain was coming down from big gray clouds. I've always loved the rain, it's beautiful to me. The white curtains that surrounded the window and gently brew from the AC- which I imagined was the wind- made me feel like I was in my own world for a little bit. 
"Kai?"
"Yeah yeah.." I waved Dr. Oh off. 
"Kai, he really cares about you."
"Yeah well I do too, but we just have different ways of showing it.."
"I know I know. He strikes me as more of the lovey type and you're the type to show you care only when you need to. I'm talking about just being nice in general.. And it seems to me like you need to show it." 
"Look Dr. Oh-" Why was he getting in my business? 
"It looks like your nose stopped bleeding. It's lunch time, maybe you should go and get some?" What's with that look? 
"I'm not hungry.." 
"Doctors orders." Dr. Oh stared me down, and it kinda scared me a little- so I stood up and slowly walked out of the room, quietly thanking him as I left. 
"Hey! Kai!" 
"Oh hey Baekhyun.." Baekhyun ran up to me before I made it three steps out of the door, smiling like an idiot. 
"Another nose bleed?" 
"Yeah.."
"Are you ok?"
"Of course?" Baekhyun leaned in and whispered to me, 
"Why is Dr. Oh staring at you? Did you get into some sort of a fight? Ooooooh~" Baekhyun playfully poked my cheek, 
"A lovers quarrel? Hmmmmm???"  
"What? No way!" 
"Psht. My gay-dar is off the charts when you're together." I turned around and surprisingly met eyes with Dr. Oh. He waved to me and smiled, so I waved back and smiled too. 
"Probably just coincidence." I said to Baekhyun after I turned around. 
"Well," we started walking to the lunch room. Baekhyun was about to go on one of his crazy rants- not just any rants, Long Baekhyun style rants. 
"Dr. Oh was totally checking you out earlier this week too. When I came to pick you up last time he was..." I saw Kyungsoo without a lunch, sitting by the window, just staring outside. I could almost feel something inside me sink down a little and the room seemed to turn gray, all except where he was sitting. Somehow, like he knew I was staring, he looked over his shoulder. When our eyes met, my chest felt funny and for some reason, I was a little startled. I decided to give him a small wave but he disregarded me and left the lunch room. 
I have to admit, it hurt. 
"Have a thing?" That look he gave me was so painful.. 
"Kai?! Are you listening?"
"Huh? What?" 
"Do you and Dr. Oh have a thing?" 
"What? Don't be crazy Baekhyun." 
"I dunno, he's pretty cute-"
"Who's cute?" 
"AHH! You! We were UH... You!" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and kissed his cheek, making Baekhyun squeal. 
"Ew get a room." I pretended to be grossed out by them when I really didn't care. 
"Haha, hey Kai. Kyungsoo's been really down lately."
"Okay...." 
"..like really really down."
"Soo."
"Like depressed and super emotional.."
"Chanyeol-"
"FOR S SAKE. CARE FOR YOUR OTHER HALF." 
"Geez! Chill out. I was about to go find him anyways." 
"Good."
"See you later!" Baekhyun waved as I walked away. They are the most annoying couple in the history or couples. But they love each other- so I shouldn't complain. 
Now where is Kyungsoo? I stepped into the dimly lit hall way and saw him start to turn the corner, 
"Ya! Do Kyungsoo!"