fallacy II

fallacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung pastes the daisy in her journal, blows on it, before she closes the journal again and puts it in her bag.

“Isn’t it going to die if you put it in there?” Jinri asks.

Soojung shrugs. “It’s going to die anyway.” She replies. “Plus, it’s not like it’s a bouquet or something. It’s just a daisy.”

Jinri rolls her eyes. “You sure are ungrateful. You should feel special or lucky. He gave it to you, personally even!” Jinri almost yells, but she keeps it low since they’re in the library. There’re other students in there too even school time’s over.

“I didn’t ask him to give it to me,” she protests. “And I think he did that because he wants to gain more fans.”

“Whatever. Everyone’s dying to talk to him and you don’t even appreciate what he did to you,” Jinri says. “I can’t believe you’re behaving like this. He’s Myungsoo for God sake.”

So that’s his name?

“Jinri, look, it’s not like I don’t appreciate him or whatever, but I don’t think I should make it big, you know? He does that to everyone, so there’s no point I should feel very special or lucky.” She mutters.

Jinri could only shake her head upon hearing that and she replies her with a silence. She has known Soojung for like forever, and Soojung doesn’t change. She grows up, yes, but she doesn’t change her perception on life. Soojung’s still the old herself—always so strong and that’s because she keeps her walls up around her that people give up before they even try to climb them, but Soojung doesn’t mind that. She doesn’t like people very much, and she’s grateful people don’t even bother trying to be ‘likeable’ for her. But that doesn’t mean she’s not nice, she’s nice but not to everyone. She talks, but not to everybody. Jinri herself doesn’t even know why Soojung chooses to be friend with her out of everybody. Probably because she’s always there, and that’s the only thing that Soojung needs.

“Jinri,” Soojung calls, and Jinri’s back to reality. She raises her eyebrows. “Have you seen my highlighters?” Soojung asks as she goes through her pencil case, taking out everything that’s in that, but no highlighters.

“No,” Jinri answers. “Where did you put them before?”

“If I know, I wouldn’t ask you that.”

Jinri nods with a grin. “Right. Just use mine.”

“I swear they’re in here just now.” Soojung mutters more to herself, but still, she grabs the highlighters that Jinri gives to her. She thinks she’s just probably imagining and seeing things now. She might probably be leaving them at home.

Soojung runs her fingers across her book, then on the table to reach for her ball pen, but she grabs nothing. She looks up from her book and her pen that she was just using before minute ago is now nowhere on the table, nowhere to be found. Impulsively, she tilts her head towards Jinri who’s doing nothing but daydreaming. She bites her lips. It must be her, Soojung thinks.

“Jinri,” she breathes. “It’s not funny. Give me back my pen.” She says through gritted teeth.

Jinri blinks. “What?”

“My pen.”

“It’s not with me.”

Soojung groans. She runs her fingers through her hair frustratingly before she locks her eyes with Jinri’s. “Really?” she asks only to make sure, and looking at the confused look that Jinri has on her face, she knows she doesn’t lie.

“What’s wrong with today?” She says weakly before she buries her head onto the table.

Why do Mondays always bad to me?

Feeling slightly better after letting her eyes closed for a few minutes, she leans back and takes a deep breath. She reaches out for her pencil case and she feels like wanting to laugh out loud, thinking that she must be crazy. Her highlighters and the ball pen that she thought were gone are there, inside her pencil case, neatly arranged like nobody has touched it.

But what captures her eyes isn’t just that, it’s the thing that she has never put it in there before.

A daisy. Again.

She furrows her eyebrows, touching it with her fingers and wanting to show it to Jinri, “Jin—“, but she doesn’t know what stops her. Instead, she looks up and lets her eyes wander around the library and looks for someone that she doesn’t even know who, but somehow, her heart does.

And she’s right. He’s there, reading a book but she knows he doesn’t. Who the hell reads book upside down anyway?

He notices that she notices him, so he smiles.

Soojung wants to smile because Jinri said his smile is beautiful and it’s true, her fingers keep playing with the daisy inside her pencil case, but remembering that he messed with her just now changes her mind so instead of smiling, she shoots him the coldest glare that she could ever show and continues to do her school work.

Myungsoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter