The Air(headed) Prince

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Come along Kyungie! I’ll show you around the place. It’s your first time in the palace right.” Sehun said as he tugged enthusiastically on the short arms of the elder.

 

“Not just the palace. It’s the first time I’ve even been in Air Nation Hunnie… I’ve spent half my life back home in Shadow Nation and the other half asleep. Literally. I must have missed out on so much when I was gone.”

 

“Hahaha! Half your life sleeping you say… you must be one lazy pig haha. And here I thought the extra hours I stayed lazing in bed made me a sloth… guess you’re even more of a-…(three seconds later)… oh wait. Crap.” Sehun turned to Kyungsoo in horror. “I didn’t mean that… it just came to me that when you meant asleep you meant quite literally unconscious asleep. I didn’t mean to make fun of your past five years! It’s just that sometimes my brain doesn’t function well you know… like my dad used to say that there was too much air in my brain so I don’t think before I say stuff. It must be the air pressure in the city. You know how Air Nation has a lighter density then other nations right, that’s why things can stay afloat here like mentor’s floating islands… Oh gosh. I’m rambling again aren’t I. Moral of the story… forgive me Kyungie! I can’t lose a best friend an hour after I just made one!” Sehun pleaded while throwing himself to the ground exaggeratedly, arms and legs coiled around the left leg of the elder with palms rubbing together, and sorry eyes beaming out FORGIVE ME! in shouty capitals.

 

There can never be a sight quite as peculiar and cute then a whiny and desperate Sehun, Kyungsoo concluded.

 

“You know what… you’re really an air(headed) prince my dear Hunnie,” Kyungsoo chuckled.

 

Having not heard the implied insult made against him, Sehun asked whether he was forgiven and was answered with the low rumbling of a particular boy’s stomach.

 

“Oh my… is my Kyungie’s Tum Tum hungry,” Sehun cooed as he rubbed his palm on Kyungsoo’s tummy in a circular fashion. “I know where we can find food! Come along Kyungie!” Sehun gestured as he started to sprint down the hallway in what must be the direction of the kitchen. Not wanting to be left behind, the shorter boy ran to catch up, puffing short breaths as he tried to match the legs of the taller.

 

Lunch was a quiet affair, with two ravenous boys inhaling all the food the kitchen staff hurried to prepare on the orders of the Prince. There are advantages to being royalty Kyungie! I get all the food I want… when I want it muahaha, Sehun told him. Indeed.

 

After taking in much more food then their small tummies could allow, the two best friends waddled back to the comfort of Sehun’s room. Having already satisfied his hunger pangs, Kyungsoo took the time to observe the grandeur that was the Air Nation’s palace on the way back. He noticed several huge portraits and paintings that he must have neglected while on his mad dash to the kitchen previously. All the drawings painted the image of a charismatic looking grey-haired woman, sitting proud and tall on a large pink dragon, Kyungsoo observed as he halted in front of a particular painting. Wow. It’s simply the most magnificent thing I’ve seen in my life (apart from Kruse of course).   

 

“Beautiful isn’t she?” Sehun whispered softly as he made his way to the side of the awestruck boy.

 

“Without a doubt.” Kyungsoo answered honestly.

 

That’s my mother.

 

W-What!? Kyungsoo turned back and noticed that, indeed, there were some similarities between mother and son… their hair, sharp jaw and pretty eye smile.

 

This was the last painting of her before she died in the years after the Battle of the Riders back then. And that’s Raei right there… all decked out in pink and her signature glare. Even now in her Faer Gond, she perfects that judging look with her eyes whenever she thinks I’m annoying. Tsk. 

 

I’m sorry for your loss Sehun.

 

It’s ok Kyungsoo. I don’t remember her… after all I was only a few months old when she left to help fight against Zökr. But from what the paintings show me, and what my father says about her… I know that she’s an amazing woman. She was the first female dragonrider, you know. A hero... She left to fight for a better future for me. I’m glad to call her my mother. And now I have Raei with me… I-I j-just miss her sometimes though, Sehun sighed.  

 

Your mother is a great woman Sehun. I’m sure she misses you too. And you don’t just have Raei… I’m here for you as well ok Hunnie?

 

Sehun nodded and smiled at Kyungsoo, glad to have another companion in his life. Instead of returning to his room, the two boys sat before the paintings in the middle of the room to exchange fun stories of the past few years of their life. Sehun recounted the past training sessions he had under Kyōhei, how he accompanied his father on official visits to the Water and Earth Nations and Kyungsoo told him of how he used to play hide-and-seek all day with Jae-In hyung, and of the other friend he made back home… the boy with the bunnies.  

 

It has been hours since Kyōhei left him here, impatience and curiosity slowly seeped into his mind until he decided to give up waiting altogether. Sehun and Kyungsoo made their way over to where the meeting was held by the King, intending to snoop around to uncover what was being discussed in this (apparently) important emergency meeting.

 

…. Or they could just eavesdrop with Kyungsoo’s powers instead. Yup… that works fine too.

 

So there they were, two troublemakers crouched on their knees with one ear pressed flat against the huge double doors of the meeting room, and their fingers plugged into the other ear (to quote Sehun) ‘for full-on concentrated eavesdropping’. It didn’t work for the walls were pretty much soundproof. Thus, they went with plan B and that was Kyungsoo reading the minds of those in the room and narrating his findings to an eager Sehun beside him.

 

Kyungsoo: “One of them thinks the head of housekeeping is hot and would make a good wife.”

 

Sehun: “Eww... What in the world.”

 

Kyungsoo: “Your father is speaking with Draken through Kyōhei now.”

 

Sehun: “Oh! What’s he saying?”

 

Kyungsoo: “He thinks his son is an egotistical, airheaded good-for-nothing dummy wh-”

 

 

Sehun: “Wait… w-what!?!?”

 

Kyungsoo: “I was just pulling your leg Hunnie… you really believe anything everyone says bestie?”

 

Sehun: “I can’t believe you tricked me Kyungie. Sobs. I hereby un-friend you.”

 

Kyungsoo: “You’re not being serious are you. If you are, then… I hereby un-forgive you for earlier!”

 

Sehun: “W-What y-you can’t do that! I thought we were past that… Why are you turning your back on me Kyungsoo? WHY ARE YOU ROLLING YOUR EYES…… I’m sorry Kyungieeeeee… please re-friend me, I BEG YOU! I’ll do any-”

 

Kyungsoo: “Ssshh Sehun! I’m trying to hear the King and Draken…”

 

Sehun: “-thing for you to be my friend again-”

 

Kyungsoo: “Shut up Sehun!!! I can’t hear…”

 

………(GASP!)

 

Horrified, Kyungsoo spun around so quickly that it snapped Sehun out of the one-sided mini pleading session he was animatedly involved in. He shoved a palm to Sehun’s lips silencing him, wide eyes boring up at the younger.

 

What’s wrong?

 

Your father and Draken think that Zökr is going to declare war on the Alliance.

 

That’s pretty common news Kyungie… we all know how much that evil spawn wants to kill all of us. He declares war but everytime he doesn’t act on his words… after all our three nations are still a strong alliance, it’s not going to be easy taking on three nations’ powers by himself….even though he has that hideous dragon with him.

 

It’s different this time Sehun! Your father thinks Zökr is planning to overthrow the Fire Nation’s capital and take the entire nation for himself. And they believe that Zökr has a hold on the royal family… a Seer they said. Someone dear to the royal Fire family, and that’s why the capital is not even thinking of fighting against Zökr… they’re willingly giving up their nation for a single person!

 

What in the world is this…

 

They’re thinking of marching there first to defend Fire Nation… if they fall and pledge their allegiance to Zökr, it’ll surely spell trouble for the alliance.

 

The sudden forceful opening of the doors led to both boys tumbling into the crowded meeting room, under the watchful eyes of those present before them. Oops.

 

“You know spying on the King is an offence punishable with death. General Yoo saw you boys through the doors ages ago. You should know better as my son Sehun.” King Seron sighed.

 

Both boys bowed their heads in shame, apologizing in unison.

 

“We will resume the meeting tomorrow. Gentlemen, you may now leave…” King Seron said as he dismissed all before him except for Kyōhei.

 

Once the last man left, King Seron turned to glare at the two boys fidgeting nervously in the center of the room.

 

“Erm, my King… perhaps you can forgive the young ones? They are still in that developing stage where all things will make them curious. They’re typical children. Do not fault them for we were all once like them….. And uh… on a secondary note, I can feel their growing anxiousness and it’s starting to make me feel woozy too. So if we can all forgive and forget? I’ll greatly appreciate it, yup.” Kyōhei gulped as another wave of nausea started within him, his powers being able to sense the high level of emotional tension present in the room.

 

Sigh. “Ok. There is nothing to be forgiven anyways… how much of our meeting did you guys hear?” King Seron questioned. His cold scary façade dropping in an instant to reflect one of warmth and kindness. There’s our benevolent King loved by all his people. Kyungsoo and Sehun each sighed a mental relief at the sight of the disappearing anger.

 

Bowing his head in respect of the King, Kyungsoo stepped forward: “I heard all of it Sir… at least from the entire portion of the upcoming war in Fire Nation onwards I mean.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter