Air Nation

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 years later. Floating Islands of the Far North. Air Nation. 

 

This young one knows Blue Fire manipulation Master… I don’t understand why you removed the memories of being able to conjure such powerful flames from his mind.

 

“This power was what brought about the calamity that befell Shadow Nation Kruse, and it is a cruel symbol of what he has lost- his family, friends… I left memories of his parents’ death intact as I didn’t thought it humane for him to forget his loved ones even though that piece of memory is particularly heartbreaking. I only took away those memories of him wiping out the entire nation… it is not my intent for him to blame himself for the killing of the thousands of people under his blue flames. He couldn’t control them… he tried but he couldn’t, and I am not letting him paint himself as a murderer of the masses. I saw his past… those five years living as an outgoing, loving individual. Knowing of the unintended deaths he brought about back then would break him… We want him to be a ‘good’ Avatar my friend, and not push him to fall over to the dark side.”

 

Then why not teach him to control it instead? Rather than hide it. It’s blue fire we’re talking about here… those that can triumph even the red of the Fire Nation. We can use it to our advantage in the impending war ag-

 

“The King has spoken… and Draken has already given his approval. There shall be no more mention of this from here on forth.”

 

After calling off the conversation with Kruse, the hunched back elder made his way over to a bed by the back of the huge cavern, where a certain boy with chestnut-colored hair and pink heart-shaped lips slept. It has been almost five years. Five years since the elder plucked the boy out from the destruction that was Shadow Nation. Five years since the boy woke from his dormant state.

 

The Avatar has slept for an entire five years.

 

He should be awake soon. Elder A has never gone wrong with her predictions.

 

Right on cue, there was a slight flutter of his eyelids before those large orbs opened temporarily. Kyungsoo sat up abruptly as his eyes grew accustomed to the unfamiliar venue he was in. But before panic at the unfamiliarity could set in, his eyes fell to a figure at the head of the bed he was occupying.

 

“Who are you? … And where am I?” Kyungsoo turned to question the man.

 

“My name is Kyōhei… perhaps you have heard of me little one.”

 

Kyungsoo gasped at the recognition of the name. This was the person mother wanted me to find! The memory of her death was vague but he could remember the name clearly. After all, one does not just forget their mother’s last words prior to her death.

 

… I need you to find this old man called Master Kyōhei… He will answer all your questions… He can be trusted…

 

“I have. My mother told me to find you.”

 

Kyōhei scooted closer to the boy and sat beside him on his bed. “I’m sure you have plenty of questions… but first can you tell me what was the last thing you remember before you passed out.”

 

“I-I saw h-him snap my mother’s neck… I know my father died too, and the Guard… and then I remember the feeling of pain and rage and then… then I woke up here. I-” Kyungsoo felt tears spring forth, threatening to flow from his eyes as he remembered his parents’ death.

 

Good…my powers worked perfectly (like always), Kyōhei thought proudly.

 

“What powers?” Kyungsoo stared curiously at the elder beside him.

 

Drat, I forgot about his telepathic powers!

 

“Erm, my powers of… manipulating emotions! A-Ah I felt your grief and sorrow and I helped minimize those feelings of yours to calm you down. Yup… that’s err what I did. Yes.” Kyōhei tried to explain as convincing as he could, straining to maintain the judging eye contact with the boy.Well, I’m not lying… I really do have this power as well anyways.

 

“How long have I been unconscious for?” Kyungsoo questioned.

 

Five years.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in astonishment. Glancing down hurriedly at his body… yup he did notice some of the differences in his anatomy. He grew a few inches in height (mental hurray)… but only a few. He was still small in stature and size. His face retained the same cute innocent look from before as he saw through the eyes of the elder Kyōhei.

 

“What happened?”

 

“The Guard came for you under the orders of Zökr. The captured seer must have seen you using your shadow power… mental pain inducement. Do not, I repeat do not use that power outside these floating islands again! He can track your location based on this power alone. You can still use your telepathic powers freely though, but try not to do it all the time… invading others’ privacy may not be such a honorable thing to do. You’re here on the Floating Islands of the Far North under the protection of the King and I, your mentor. As the guardian of these islands, I have set up a safe parameter for you to learn to develop your powers without detection from Zökr. You’ll be safe here.”

 

“I’m no longer in Shadow Nation?” Kyungsoo whispered sadly.

 

Having slept for so long would have numbed the pain of losing his family but one cannot deny that the boy became a little more withdrawn and introverted after the incident, as compared to his previous outgoing happy-go-lucky self. It’s almost as if he was afraid to love again for fear of his loved ones leaving him behind like how his mother, father and Jae-In hyung left him.

 

“No, Shadow Nation was destroyed… in the fight. I saved you from the Dark Ruins myself. You’re now on my floating islands, in Air Nation.” Kyōhei glanced pitifully at the boy.

 

“Did you mean floating!? As in the floating in mid-air… that kind of floating???” Kyungsoo blurted out.

 

Come see for yourself. The amused elder led the boy with a ‘I-don’t-know-whether-I-should-believe-you-look’ on his face to the entrance of the large cave. You weren’t kidding when you said floating. What greeted the eager eyes of the child was the beautiful sight of other suspended islands surrounding the current one he was standing on. Lush trees were evident and some other caves could be seen. It practically looked like an entire rainforest suspended thousands of feet off the ground, barring some man-made buildings. Wow.

 

As Kyungsoo made another small step closer to the edge of the cliff, a sudden loud roar erupted and a large thing flew over the edge, high above the clouds, before landing in front of the small boy. Razor sharp claws planted to both sides of the boy’s shocked fallen figure, and warm air from its exhaling snout blew around the boy. Kyungsoo looked up at the terrifying face of the thing before him, its entire surface area coated in the purest shimmery silver.

 

“W-What t-the-” The boy’s eyes widened at the realization of the identity of the thing before him.

 

Kyōhei facepalmed. Nice entrance Kruse…*sarcasm* you just scared the poor boy half to death. Kruse only snorted in response.

 

“Erm…Kyungsoo. Meet Kruse. He’s my dragon.”

 

 

 

 

“H-How… w-what… why. Wh-… HOW”. The gawking boy turned away from the dragon above to interrogate Kyōhei.

 

“Get off him Kruse. Follow me Kyungsoo… I need to show you something.” Kruse backed off from the said boy and followed behind them to the clearing in front of a white building, on the adjacent island.

 

It is a pleasure to finally meet you Avatar. Kruse inclined his head as he glanced a pearly eye at the boy before him. I had the great honor to fight alongside Rei and Draken previously. If I may say so… I can see a shadow of the former great in you. You’ll make for an astounding Avatar, little one.

 

You’re a dragon Kruse. The rightful ruler of the seven nations. The pleasure is all mine… Kyungsoo bowed stiffly before allowing a small smile to light up his face temporarily.

 

The trio wandered along a white elegant hallway before Kyōhei came to an abrupt halt at a wooden mural. It was a huge piece of wall covered entirely with leaves and twines. To an outsider, no one would have made a second glance at what looked to be a decoration along the beautiful hallway. But no one knew this was the gateway into one of the most sacred place left across the lands.

 

The elder took out a small pocket knife before making a small slit on his finger to allow a single drop of blood to fall on the lone white rose at the center of the wall. Only the pure blood of a dragonrider can gain access Kyungsoo, Kyōhei told the boy. The younger could only stare transfixed as the red blood did not taint the pureness of the white on the flower. Instead, twines and branches started to move apart, creating a large gaping entrance to a dimly lit room.

 

“Welcome to the Council room Kyungsoo…. This secret hideout contains what little things that are left from the fallen age of the dragonriders- some past records, a few weapons…” But Kyungsoo could barely pay attention to what the elder was saying, for his eyes never left the pulsing blue item at the center of the room since the moment he first saw it.

 

“I-Is this w-what I think it is…” Kyungsoo whispered.

 

Kruse head-butted the side of his body in response. His long neck having taken up the remaining empty space in the room, whilst his huge body remain confined to the larger hallway.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter