Reuniting Fate

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi Lovelies! It's been one month since I first started this fic. So thought i'll celebrate by uploading this chapter! Longest chapter I've written so far! OMG just couldn't stop writing. Enjoy~ 

 

 

“Hurry up Hunnie! We don’t have all night for this… Don’t be such a sissy, Princess!” Kyungsoo sighed for the umpteenth time.

 

“Why excuse you! It’s not my fault that your stupid dragon keeps glaring at me like he wants to eat me…” The Princess protested, only to get a whack on the head from the tail of the dragon he just dissed.  

 

“You shouldn’t step there.” Kyungsoo interrupted when he saw that Sehun was just about to put his foot down. Sehun hurriedly withdrew his feet with a panicky expression on his face. “Nor there…” But his best friend had already placed his foot down; drawing out a low growl from the dragon the boy was currently attempting to climb up. Sehun gulped.

 

Sigh. “Just get up here before Mid- … oh well what did I say, I did tell you to hurry.” Apparently Midnight had just lost his patience at the poor boy stomping and grabbing onto his scales in his pathetic attempt to get up and had personally grabbed onto Sehun gently with his teeth to deposit him between the ridges lining his back behind his rider. Sehun flinched at the proximity of Midnight’s snout before grabbing onto Kyungsoo’s shoulder in front of him.

 

“Hold on Sehun! He’s taking off now.” Kyungsoo shouted behind him as the dragon below him crouched into a pre-take off position. “I think I’m going to be sick…” Sehun muttered, his face turning a deathly pale as Midnight launched himself into the cool night sky.

 

It was another hour before the two boys got used to the altitude, as well as to the fact that they were flying and on a dragon no less. They were so high up that they could barely make out the shapes of the land below them. Sehun had long succumbed to sleep (either that or he had fainted, whichever works), and was now drooling onto the shoulder of his best friend.

 

You should probably try to get some sleep too Soo.

 

I’m not tired Midnight… It’s fine, don’t worry about me. I’m just kind of worried about this whole finding the dragons quest… I don’t want to disappoint Kyōhei.

 

You’re going to be fine Soo. You have me and Sehun… we won’t let anything happen to you.

 

It’s exactly because we have Sehun with us, that’s why I’m worried. He’s just a kid Midnight… the Prince. He deserves more than to spend the next period of his life toiling in danger beside me. He’s my best friend since I was five… I just want to keep him safe.

 

You’re too overprotective Soo. Sehun may be a kid but don’t forget that you are too… And it may seem like we forced him to leave his father behind and come along with this quest, but I assure you that he wants to be here for you too. He’s almost as protective over you as you are to him. Sometimes I admire the friendship between you two… it’s not something even a bond between rider and dragon can easily eclipse, and that in itself speaks volumes.

 

But I’m worried about the red dragon too… the egg that Zökr took from Fire Nation must have hatched. I wonder who his rider is… and can we really stop them before they get to the rest of the other eggs?

 

Time will tell little one. But I certainly hope so… I must protect the rest of my unhatched siblings from Kyrûller and the red dragon. Hopefully the Elves will be of a great help to us.

 

About the Elves… Midnight, you know that you can’t show yourself to them yet right. They probably would have no idea that there was another dragon after so many decades… heck they probably don’t even know that it wasn’t Kyrûller but another one that killed Kyōhei. The King told them only of the Prince’s impending arrival, they are probably not expecting the Avatar and his dragon to show up alongside.

 

I understand Soo… I’ll be hidden from sight. Just call for me and I’ll be there sooner than you know it. I’ll be watching over you two from above in case the Elves do something funny to you guys… You’ll probably need some time to tell Lady Yura about your identity and the quest.

 

Thanks Midnight.

 

You’re welcome Soo. Now go to sleep like the snoring boy behind you… don’t make me make you!

 

With a snort and a partial roll of his eyes, Kyungsoo settled lower into his sitting position and started drifting off into sleep. The talk with Midnight had helped calm his worries, allowing him the peace of mind to descend into his dreams.

 

It was almost dawn when Midnight descended, landing with a small jerk at a plateau at the top of one of the peaks of the Lost Mountains. Kyungsoo and Sehun were still asleep and had almost fallen off and onto the ground if not for Midnight catching the two boys when they slipped off his back.

 

“Thanks Midnight…” Sehun yawned, patting the dragon that had saved him from the what-would-have-been-painful face-plant.

 

“Where are we now… why did you stop flying?” Kyungsoo said as he rubbed his sleepy eyes with small cute closed fists, lying onto the ground beside his best friend.

 

We’re at the Lost Mountains. Now wake up! It’s day now, which means I can’t be seen flying… you guys go do something useful. Hone your fighting skills or whatever; I need to catch up on my sleep. We make the long flight to the Woods at twilight. You too Sehun! Midnight said as he thumped his tail beside the said boy, successfully scaring the boy awake.

 

“Alright… fine. Do that tail thing again and I’m telling my father! Hmph. Come on Kyungie… let’s go explore... We’re in Earth Nation now! … I wonder whether the trees here are different from back home…” Sehun trailed off dragging Kyungsoo behind him.

 

“Don’t wander too far!” Midnight warned before settling down himself.

 

The two boys chanced upon a small stream at the dense forest, taking the opportunity to wash and freshen up. It was almost time for breakfast and both boys were starving… having not eaten since the night before. They rushed back to Midnight to gather some weapons to use for hunting from their rucksacks.

 

There they were in the undergrowth, Kyungsoo hiding behind a pine tree while Sehun was crouched behind a rose bush. The forest was relatively peaceful bar the occasional cries from a random fowl or pheasant. The boys exchanged sneaky glances before Kyungsoo drew his arrow while Sehun readied a small dagger. A small rock thrown, startled the animals that were hidden in their natural habitat, and all of a sudden, a couple of fowl scattered. Kyungsoo hurriedly downed a fowl and a pheasant whereas Sehun killed another fowl with an accurate throw of his weapon. They added another two pheasants on their second try at an inner part of the forest. Sehun almost slaughtered two bunnies on the way back, only for Kyungsoo to stop him and shoo the rabbits away personally.

 

“What? We have enough food already… no need to kill those innocent bunnies.” Kyungsoo defended himself while Sehun stared at him judgingly. “You only let them go cause you thought they’re cute didn’t you…” Sehun accused. “Noooo… yes we do have enough food for three meals at least… and besides, Midnight doesn’t eat bunnies. Yup… that’s it.” Kyungsoo quickly averted his eyes.

 

Cause Kyungsoo does not have special affection for cute little bunnies. Yup… Not at all. Right……

 

They spent the rest of the day exercising and training off those fats they gained during their sumptuous feast (courtesy of their successful hunt) earlier. It was almost twilight before they climbed onto Midnight and made their final leg of the journey to the home of the Elves. This time, they flew faster in an attempt to complete this longer leg before sunrise. They touched down at a large clearing to the North of the Wood’s borders just as the first ray of sunlight lit up the early morning sky. Midnight helped the boys light up a small fire before taking off. They knew that the Elves were in close proximity, and they wanted to keep the dragon’s existence a secret for a little while longer.

 

“So have you seen the Elves before Hunnie?” Kyungsoo questioned as he settled onto a broken log where Sehun was already seated.

 

“Once… I guess? I knew Lady Yura came to Air Nation when I was very young… even before I met you. I can barely remember what she looks like and her travel companions. There was another kid elf… big ears and super wide smile? I can’t remember clearly. Never seen them again ever since that occasion.”

 

“Hmm I can’t wait to meet them… I’m curious! …Well I guess we can just wait for them to find us now. There’s no way into the Capital unless you’re an elf so it seems like we’re stuck with waiting for our welcoming party haha. Let’s rest.” Kyungsoo said as he sat cross-legged on the bare earth, huddling nearer to the warmth of the fire. Sehun mirrored his actions just across the fire.

 

 

 

 

 

The rustling leaves of the tree spirit disrupted the peaceful silence in the bedroom, startling its two occupants up from their slumber. “I hate when they appear so suddenly… they’re like ghosts I tell you.” Kai mumbled in between small yawns. The tree spirit barely acknowledged the boy before turning its attention to her master. “What is it? Snatchers again…?” Chanyeol asked sleepily.

 

“Sorry for the disturbance Master. There was a mini commotion amongst the tree spirits near the North border half an hour before. The other tree spirits are still secretly watching the two young boys while I rushed here to inform you of their presence.”

 

“Just two boys? Not snatchers then… but why the commotion? It’s rare to startle tree spirits.” Chanyeol exchanged a curious glance with Kai as he turned to question her.

 

“They were there with a mythical beast that we tree spirits are forbidden to speak of… the beast has since left. Would you like me to alert the other guards or would you like to take care of this yourself with Master Kai? They have a bow and several swords in their possession but it does not seem like they have bad motives in hanging around our borders…”

 

“We’ll take care of it!” Kai shouted enthusiastically, earning a dramatic roll of the eyes from Chanyeol. The tree spirit turned to receive affirmation from Chanyeol before taking her leave.

 

“Yah! If Yura blames me again… just know that I’ll push all the punishments to you. I’m still pissed that I got more cleaning duties then you dummy. Let’s go!” He gathered his crossbow while Kai took along a sword as they dashed quietly out of the compounds.

 

“What was the beast you think the spirits saw Yeol-ah?”

 

“I have no idea, but whatever it was… we can’t underestimate the two boys with it. Upon getting to the North border, we’ll observe them first. Try not to make the first move… we want to see what they can do before we engage.” Chanyeol commanded as Kai nodded in agreement.

 

Soon, they spotted light from a small fire in a large clearing… slowing down as they neared. Kai teleported up onto a branch overlooking the clearing while Chanyeol hid himself behind a thick shrub. What they saw shocked them. There were two boys in the clearing- both pale looking, one smaller in figure compared to the other, he had red hair contrasting with the other’s soft grey. Their faces look so young and peaceful, certainly not appearances you will associate as companions of a beast. Kai couldn't keep his eyes of the redhead. He was beautiful... and that meant something since he's been surrounded by elves for the most part of his life. But they could see the weapons by them on the ground. Whoever these two boys were… it appeared like they weren’t just pretty faces. Chanyeol beckoned to Kai before the two settled into a patient wait, eyes never leaving the two by the fire.

 

  

 

 

 

How long more should we wait before we make our move Kyungie? I’ve had enough of that stupid elf staring so blatantly at me from behind the shrub… it’s been almost an hour and he thinks we wouldn’t notice how that particular shrub keeps moving? Amateur… Sehun snorted.

 

There’s another one on top of the tree beside the first elf. Don’t look!” Kyungsoo snapped as Sehun stupidly made to glance upwards. “They’re extremely patiently I must say… from what they’re thinking in their minds, they’re adamant to wait before we make our move first to show themselves. Ok from what I gather… there are only two of them here. One’s called Yeol and the other Kai. I can’t see them so I can’t judge how good they are at fighting… they’re trying to figure out what we’re he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter