Prisoner of War

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Early update cause all you readers are so absolutely wonderful! Thanks for all the comments and support. Muacks! ^^

 

Kyungsoo grabbed onto Midnight tightly as the dragon rose off the ground in pursuit of Hunter. He had previously plucked the name of the red dragon from Zitao’s mind and he must admit that Hunter was a very befitting name for the feisty red beast. Though he was smaller in size as compared to Midnight, Hunter certainly made up for it in terms of attitude. He was never afraid and always focused to get what he wanted. This time, Kyungsoo’s the prey as the red dragon and his rider hunted for the Avatar’s head. The bleeding gash on his forehead was an evidence of the dragon’s ferociousness. Midnight nearly bit out Zitao’s left arm when Hunter drew blood from Kyungsoo.

 

The other rider was glaring at him. His face already pale from the loss of blood. Kyungsoo could feel Zitao fading in and out of consciousness already. Time to end this. “Let’s finish this!” Kyungsoo tapped at Midnight’s side as the dragon reared and lunged for Hunter’s injured right foreleg. As the red dragon howled and rolled to loosen the grip of the older dragon, Zitao winced at the pain shared through their dragonrider bond and slowly, the boy slipped into unconsciousness. Midnight let go as he and Kyungsoo watched the other rider fall out of his seat towards ground. Hunter dived towards ground to catch his rider, barely succeeding before he sped away to what was presumably Middle Nation’s direction. They must have retreated to seek treatment for Zitao, Kyungsoo thought as he stared after the fast disappearing pair.

 

Do we go after them? Midnight glanced back at his rider who shook his head. “I think I’ve got enough revenge for Kyōhei… it’s not worth it to kill another dragon to atone for his mistakes, no matter how grave they were. Let’s go help the fight.” Midnight nodded before flying straight at the army who, Kyungsoo noted demoralizingly, was still large in numbers. The Elves were slowly losing as he saw that the passageway had been breached.

 

Is that Sehun? At Midnight’s mention of his best friend, whom last he knew… was ordered to stay at the meadow; Kyungsoo turned and urged Midnight towards him and Chanyeol. As they approached, they made out the figure of the two Princes collectively squashing and restraining an unconscious Prince Yifan. Kyungsoo jumped down his dragon and ran towards the trio while Midnight kept everyone away from the boys. Kyungsoo took down the lone fire-bender that had snuck up behind Sehun with his arrow.

 

“Are you alright?” Sehun glanced up worriedly at the blood running down his best friend’s face. Kyungsoo merely waved it off before helping them to secure their prisoner. “They breached the passageway…” Kyungsoo snapped coldly, “I must go and make sure they’re safe.” The man beneath them jolted awake and starting hissing when he saw the Avatar above him. “You stay here and deal with him. I’ll go…” Sehun spoke and ran off before the other could respond. Kyungsoo controlled Yifan using his telepathic powers and started dragging him away. The fight at the border had slowly inched inward and now, most of the fight had been moved to the city center. “Go help Lady Yura.” Chanyeol barked out at a familiar fighting wolf as Chen nodded and raced through the mountain. Kyungsoo was growing increasingly pansy at what was happening in the meadow, and Chanyeol had to calm him down before he went and did something crazy. Midnight was clearing the way for them as he swiped at any enemy that dared confront them.

 

 

 

Those at the meadow could hear the fighting, and that only meant one thing- that the mountain has been breached. Lady Yura gathered the hiding elves together and they stayed clustered at the edge of the meadow. They had earlier planned out what would happen if the enemies were to make their way to the meadow. Baekhyun came up with the idea and it was a pretty solid one as well. The said boy stood beside Lady Yura, in a protective stance in front of the large crowd of elves. Meanwhile, Luhan, Whisper, and Kai stood tall in front of the two.

 

Kai was pacing worriedly in front of the dragon. Where’s Kyungsoo? Is he ok? What happened with the other dragon? Please let him be fine… Heavy footsteps were heard as he looked up, sword at the ready in case it was the enemy. Whisper growled warningly as Luhan raised his sword too. Seconds later, Sehun jumped into the open with Chen in wolf-form following close behind. “Where’s Kyungsoo?” Kai jumped on the poor boy.

 

“He’s fine… they got the other dragon. The red dragon retreated with his rider. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are dealing with the captured Prince now.” At Lady Yura’s questioning look, Sehun elaborated. “General Yifan is the Prince of Fire Nation. He was leading the fight… he’s the other dragonrider’s weakness so Kyungsoo wanted him captured.” They collectively breathed a sigh of relief at the other boys’ safety only for Sehun to interrupt. “But the mountain has been breached. The army has invaded the city and the Elves are doing everything they can but we’re still outnumbered. We saw a large group of fire-benders heading this way. We should evacuate the rest.” Sehun gestured.

 

“Baekhyun has a plan… He’s going to use an illusion to earn us some time to evacuate the crowd to the underground cellars in the white palace.” Lady Yura spoke up. Baekhyun nodded before stepping forward. “I’m going to create an illusion of an empty meadow. When the fire-benders come, all they’ll be able to see would be the ‘Elites’. Lady Yura will be leading the Elves while I keep them ‘invisible’, Kai will keep everyone away from me while I’m still holding the illusion.” Sehun nodded, “Ok. Me and Chen will help Luhan and Whisper fight the fire-benders when you do your illusion.” When the approaching sound of footsteps could be heard, Baekhyun beckoned for the group to stand and slowly inch their way to the castle. When Sehun turned back, all he saw was Baekhyun, Kai, Chen, Luhan and Whisper. The illusion had worked just fine.

 

“Be ready!” The Prince shouted as the first of the soldiers burst into the meadow. The fire-benders were shock to find Whisper waiting for them. Fire sailed over their heads as they broke to dodge the incoming attacks. Kai was teleporting soldiers away from Baekhyun while Luhan and Whisper were doing a pretty good job at fighting the onslaught of soldiers. However, more and more fire-benders came at them. It was like a never-ending free-flow buffet, when Baekhyun and Kai left to safely the group all the way into the palace, the remaining boys were trying to fend off the fire.

 

Chen was alternating between a wolf and eagle as he jumped and flew over unsuspecting soldiers. Sehun, on the other hand, was keeping fire-benders away from Luhan. He was quite literally blowing people away whenever someone lunged at the older on Whisper. Even though they had a dragon, it was a losing battle as more and more fire-benders crowded into the meadow. Sehun spotted a soldier aiming a fireball at Luhan and shouted in warning, but he couldn’t hear and Whisper was occupied with the five soldiers in front of him. Just when Luhan turned around, Kai popped up and teleported him away right when the fire was about to make contact. Baekhyun returned too, and started swinging his sword at everyone near him.

 

Pity, Baekhyun couldn’t create illusions of dragons, or he would have surrounded the enemy with images of hundreds of dragons to scare them. A loud roar was heard from the nearby town hall and the group ran to meet Midnight with the fire-benders in hot pursuit. There he was, Midnight stood tall and proud while fighting at least twenty men simultaneously. The boys continued the fight with the two dragons in the middle, though Kai had his mind on other things. Where’s Kyungsoo? The boy looked searchingly only to be pulled back into the fight by a sword in his face. He teleported around, helping keep soldiers away from his unnoticing friends but his thoughts always ran back to that one person.

 

Thanks to the two dragons, the boys managed to quickly diminish the fire-benders’ numbers as returning elves from the border added help. His attention was caught when he heard Sehun shout for Luhan. He turned just in time to see Sehun dive to catch Luhan before he fell to the ground, his arm red like that time when Baekhyun was burned by the Guard. Whisper roared in fury and tore the fire-bender that had attacked his rider into shreds. Seeing one of their friends getting hurt was the added incentive for the rest to bring down the remaining fire-benders in record time.

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had just returned from the underground chambers in the Elf’s White Castle, where they had left Kris behind fireproof bars. Midnight and Whisper were just downing the last few fire-benders when they saw Sehun bending over Luhan. Without a word, Kyungsoo raced to the pair while Chanyeol went to help Baekhyun with the fire-bender he was fighting.

 

“Luhan! What happened? Is he ok?” Kyungsoo shouted as he knelt beside his friend who was cradling Luhan’s head in his lap. “He got burned like Baekhyun that time…” Sehun whispered, “It’s all my fault. I didn’t see that fire-bender.” Sehun berated himself. “It’s not your fault.” Kyungsoo said firmly. “Lulu!” Baekhyun ran over with Chanyeol in tow. “I need to treat his burns immediately and HOLY FLYING BACON-” Baekhyun had only taken a good look at Kyungsoo, “-What happened to you?” Blood was still gushing from Kyungsoo’s open wound. “I’m ok.” Kyungsoo pushed the other back to attend to his twin as he dabbed a bandage over his cut. By now all the fighting had stopped and Kyungsoo stood to eye the damage.

 

Why do I feel like something’s missing? Kyungsoo looked at the crowd who had gathered around Luhan, at the two dragons in the middle of the square and to the remaining elf warriors tending to their respective injuries… Kai. His head swiveled back to Luhan to double-check before his eyes started watering in fear.

 

“WHERE’S KAI?!” Kyungsoo yelled as everyone froze and stared. “Oh god.” Chanyeol stood wobbly as he too started panicking at his missing best friend. “Where’s Kai?” Kyungsoo grabbed Midnight who peered around concernedly only to shake his head at his rider. “DID YOU SEE KAI?” Kyungsoo jumped on a passing wounded elf that hurriedly apologized before backing away. He was growing hysterical. Sehun detached himself from Luhan’s side as he ran towards Kyungsoo to calm him down. “Where’s Kai, Hunnie… You don’t think the army got him do you?” Kyungsoo choked on his tears as Sehun pulled him in for a hug. Meanwhile, Chanyeol was across the yard yelling out for the boy with his boisterous voice. “J-Jongin… Where’s Jongin?” Kyungsoo sobbed. “It’s ok, Kyungie… He’ll be fine.” Sehun hushed the other.          

 

“Hyung? Hyung! What’s going on?” A familiar deep voice asked causing Kyungsoo to whip his head up. “Oh god.” Kai nearly dropped the two things he was carrying before he ran to Kyungsoo, who had both blood and tears streaming down his cheeks. Instead, he shoved the two balls of fur into Sehun’s arms and grabbed a hysterical Kyungsoo in for a hug. “I-I t-thought you were g-gone… Jongin. I-I thought you left m-me…” Kai tightened the hug as he pecked the other’s head comfortingly, “I’m here Soo. I’m here now… I’m not leaving. I will never leave you Kyungsoo… please don’t cry. Please.” Sehun smiled at the couple before leaving to notify Chanyeol of Kai’s appearance.  

 

“I love you Kyungsoo. I love you… I will never leave you. Trust me.” Kai whispered into his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter