Danger In The Woods

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi lovelies! Thanks for all the comments and new subscribers! Love you all so much <3 I really enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you guys will like it as well! ^^ Enjoy~

 

 

“K-Kyungie! Kyungie we’re g-going to war!” Sehun huffed out as he panted to catch his breath, having just ran all the way back from the castle to the other boy’s room on the floating islands. Not just Kyungsoo, but the other five boys in the room as well, all gathered around Sehun immediately. “Is it the Woods?” Chanyeol blurted out, face masked with worry. At Sehun’s definite nod, the Elf started wailing and dragging Kyungsoo to get Midnight ready so that he could fly back as soon as possible.

 

“Hold your dragons, Yeollie… What’s the King’s plan?” Kyungsoo asked Sehun. “He believes that Lady Yura has already seen the possibility of an attack from the Pool of Tranquility. We’re to fly there first thing in the morning to help the Elves.”

 

“Is Zökr going to be there like in the war at Fire Nation?” Kai asked. “The other dragon too?” Kyungsoo added. “What Zökr has another dragon?” Baekhyun screeched, for he and his twin brother weren’t aware of this fact. “Yes Baekhyun, now try and keep up. So are Zökr and the other dragon going to be there?” Sehun shrugged, “We have no idea as well… guess we just have to hope for the best and find out when war breaks out.”

 

“Well, at least we have two dragons now right?” Chanyeol nudged Luhan’s shoulder. The poor boy had on a confused face. Having not heard half of the conversation that just took place, Sehun pulled Luhan aside and explained it to him all over again. “Hyung, the Elves need us… do you think you and Whisper are ready to fight?” Luhan gave Sehun a reassuring pat on the back and nodded determinedly. He knows his limitations, but he’s willing to give all that he has to protect his loved ones which has since grown to involve these five men that came barging into he and his twin’s lives. Sehun grinned and pulled Luhan over to the rest to discuss finalities. I really admire your courage Luhan. Don’t worry… I’ll protect you all the way.

 

Sehun pointedly ignored Kyungsoo’s teasing look and addressed the boys in general. “Ok, most of us here have been training with weapons all our lives, but it’s not just the Middle Nation soldiers and their weapons we have to worry about… the Fire Nation army will have fire powers. Chen, Baekhyun and Luhan… I assume you guys are beginners with weapons am I right?” At the trio’s apologetic nod, Sehun continued “I guess you guys can help deal with the Middle Nation soldiers. They have no powers but are skilled in fighting. You guys can use your powers against them.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded in agreement, “We don’t have time to train you with swords adequately so you guys will have to use your powers to your advantage. Luhan, you can shield mental attacks… we don’t know whether Zökr has someone with mental abilities on his side. Your job would be to try and see whether you can shield someone else beside yourself from a mental attack… are you ok with that? I can siphon out those with mental abilities if I’m close enough… I need your help to protect these guys from them.” Are you sure I’ll be able to do that? Luhan worriedly asked the other. “I believe in you Luhan... I know you can do it.” Kyungsoo smiled encouragingly. “I believe in you too!” Sehun grinned. Comforted, Luhan gave a determined nod. “Me and Midnight will deal with any possible dragons first. Whisper’s still young… you guys will only need to fight dragons if I’m unavailable.” Kai gulped at the underlying meaning of the other’s words.

 

“Baekhyun, your first responsibility is healing. I need you to attend to any injuries… there’s a low possibility we’ll get hurt but it never hurts to be prepared. In case any soldiers get near to you, use your illusions against them. I’ve seen what you can do in your mind… be creative.” Baekhyun smirked and gave Kyungsoo a thumbs-up.

 

“Me next!” Chen blurted, eager for advice from the Avatar. “Eww…” Kyungsoo smile took a drastic one-eighty when he faced Chen. “Be nice!” Kai hissed in his ear. Only for you Kai… Only for you. “Chin-” Kyungsoo ignored Chen’s frustrated shout of “It’s Chen. C.H.E.N.” as Sehun giggled in the background, “You can erm… just shape-shift into whatever. An animal that’s big that will crush plenty of bodies or something… Like an… erm an elephant, King Kong or even a dinosaur. Whatever you like. Just stay out of my way…” Kyungsoo glared at him. “You should be a leopard or a wolf… those things are fast! It’ll help you dodge attacks and start them yourself.” Chanyeol suggested. Chen’s face brightened as he high-fived the Elf, “Now that’s what you call advice.” Kai had to put a restraining arm around Kyungsoo or there would have been a dead animal in their midst by now.

 

The boys separated for some individual training in the open courtyard for the remaining hours till nightfall. Chanyeol was at the other end, teaching Baekhyun how to fend for himself with a sword. “Let’s try sparring… you’ve seen how Luhan did it against Kyungsoo that time. Now, you give it a try!” Chanyeol nodded encouragingly at Baekhyun. “Ok…” In an instant, ten Baekhyuns who were all waving swords at the Elf’s shocked face surrounded Chanyeol. “Nice one Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo whooped as he walked pass. Baekhyun smirked as Chanyeol gulped.

 

“Is something wrong Chanchan?” The Elf stared wide-eyed at the ten figures speaking to him simultaneously, “E-Erm, not at all… Haha. Let’s begin, shall we?” The Elf took a hesitant step forward before Baekhyun broke into a run, right towards Chanyeol’s frozen figure. One by one, Chanyeol sliced through illusions until he got to the real deal. The two boys kept sparring until they got tired and went to join Chen. They paid no attention to the small group gathered at the center of the yard.

 

Apparently, a group had gathered to spur Luhan on in his bid to expand his defensive mental shield to protect others apart from him. Kyungsoo, being the only one who had mental powers, would be the administrator. He would be trying to read Sehun’s mind, while Luhan tries to block his mind-breaching abilities. “You ready Luhan?” The said boy hesitated before nodding. “Just try to focus on Sehun’s mind.” Kyungsoo suggested, “I’ll start now…” Three seconds later, Kai asked Kyungsoo what was on Sehun’s mind as Luhan and Sehun watched on worriedly, unsure if the older’s powers had worked.

 

“Do I say the truth?” Kyungsoo glanced at Sehun who started panicking. “Sehun was thinking that Luhan looked cu- mmpfh” The boy’s speech was interrupted when Sehun stuffed a palm at his best friend’s lips, effectively shutting him up. “It’s ok Luhan… Try again!” Sehun beamed at the curious Luhan. Kyungsoo whispered into Kai’s ears, who in turn let out a soft ‘Ohhh’ and smirked at Sehun. Luhan braced himself and nodded to Kyungsoo to signal the start of another try. Kai peered curiously at Kyungsoo.

 

“Sehun was thinking of one hundred and one ways to kill Kai and I.” Kyungsoo revealed. “Why?” Kai peered suspiciously at the Prince who was turning an incredible shade of red. Luhan appeared alarmed and curious too. “Cause he knew that I’m going to tell you guys what he was actually thinking… which was how much he wanted to kiss-” Another palm from Sehun stopped him. Kai made to say something too, only to be stopped by Sehun’s warning finger. “WHAT IN THE WORLD! Did you just me Kyungie?” Sehun jumped back in disgust.

 

“Again! Luhan try to focus more. Keep your mind off other thoughts, only focus on Sehun. Let’s try that again. I don’t want to listen in on this boy’s erted thoughts any longer…” Kyungsoo nodded at Luhan who shut his eyes to direct full attention towards blocking Kyungsoo’s mental prods at Sehun’s mind.

 

“OK. That thought was something that I really don’t want you to know… please tell me his powers worked or you’re never going to let me live it down.” Sehun pleaded. Kyungsoo frowned before looking at Luhan, “I can’t hear him.” Luhan’s eyes widened temporarily in disbelief before he clapped in excitement for his success. Sehun let out a huge sigh of relief and avoided Kyungsoo’s curious stare. “Again!” Kyungsoo demanded. “So?” Sehun looked up expectantly. “Nothing… Good job Luhan!” Kyungsoo clapped the twin on his back.

 

“Let’s try with two people this time!” Kai suggested. Luhan nodded and refocused. “Nothing!” Kyungsoo declared after a minute of trying. “Again!” The boy demanded. Suddenly, Kyungsoo’s face flushed red as he stared unblinkingly at Kai. “Kyungie?” Sehun prodded his shoulder for a verbal response. “I couldn’t hear you, but I could hear Kai…” Kyungsoo blushed again before turning to Luhan. “It seems like your mind’s more connected to Sehun… keep practicing hyung. Good job on your first try.” Kyungsoo praised the other before he practically ran away towards the other group of boys whilst squealing. “What were you thinking?” Sehun narrowed his eyes at Kai. “Nothing of your concern…” Kai sneered back before blushing under Luhan’s suspiciously knowing gaze.

 

I meant what I said hyung! Kai practically screamed at Kyungsoo, causing the other to turn back and stick a tongue out at him. “I’m not sure I want to know after all…” Sehun trailed off. Kai smirked before teleporting to Kyungsoo’s side. Meanwhile, Luhan stepped further away from Sehun. He had an inkling as to what Sehun had thought about earlier. It seems like your mind's more connected to Sehun... those earlier words from Kyungsoo were what startled him. Luhan had tried his best to distance himself from the other, to not develop feelings for the other, and yet somehow through all his efforts, Sehun had started to chip at the ice walls around his heart. Sehun is just a friend Luhan... you don't need love, Luhan tried to convince his mind. But yet, his heart was telling him something else.  

 

After a few hours, it was nightfall and the boys turned in for some sleep after a hearty meal. They were laid on spare blankets on the floor of Kyungsoo’s room. Neither of the boys got a good night’s rest at the anxiety of what’s to come in the coming days. At dawn, they made their final preparations before departing for the Woods after saying goodbye to the King. King Seron was sad to see them leave so soon after they just got back, and he made an extra effort to hug Sehun and Kyungsoo longer, to convey his feelings at the separation.

 

Kyungsoo, Kai, Chanyeol and Baekhyun settled onto Midnight while the other three climbed onto Whisper, and as one, the two dragons took to the sky magnificently. Whisper had grown so much even though he was barely hatched a few days ago, all credit to Luhan and Midnight’s care. They flew for hours before taking a short rest on the Lost Mountains near noon. As they continued on their way to the Woods, they spotted the army of Zökr gathered at the foot of the Lost Mountains.

 

“That is one huge army…” Sehun gulped and shouted. “Any sign of the dragons?” Kyungsoo added, as he searched around for their presence. They collectively shook their heads. It doesn’t mean that they won’t be there Soo. We need to be prepared. Midnight warned. “I know…” Kyungsoo patted the sides of his dragon. The longer they flew, the more they realized the extent of how large the army Zökr had gathered. “Yeollie, how many Elves are there?” Kyungsoo shouted to the Elf behind him.

 

“Definitely lesser than this army.” Chanyeol sighed as Baekhyun whispered comforting words to him. “But we’re Elves… we can probably take down five men per elf so don’t worry!” Kai hurried to calm down their worries. Kyungsoo nibbled on his lower lip as he thumbed the necklace around his neck, I hope we’ll make it through this…

 

We will, Soo. I’m here… Midnight stared back at his rider before flying even faster, with Whisper trying desperately to catch up with the larger beast. They flew high and fast and soon, they made it straight to the center of the Woods. Midnight and Whisper landed right in the center of the city, startling all the Elves within the vicinity. The looks on the Elves’ faces were pure shock and later happiness as they started cheering for the dragons and their companions. The clapping and cheering grew even louder when Chanyeol and Kai jumped down from Midnight’s back. “What’s going on?” Chanyeol pulled a neighboring Elf to question. “My Prince, it’s the Avatar and the riders! The Queen told us that you guys would be here to fight with us against Zökr’s army. Everyone’s excited to finally meet our savior!” The male Elf bowed lowly at the boys. “I see… Where’s Lady Yura?” Kyungsoo stepped forward searchingly.

 

This seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter